2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tin Cup Challenge

How does everyone feel they would do by playing a round of golf with nothing but a 7 iron? Assuming that the average distance for a 7 is around 170 (or 250 here on GolfWRX), you could reach some (if not most) greens in regulation, or at least have a reasonable chip for an up and down, would you be willing to give it a try?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True story, I was playing in a HS event in MI and our rivals #2 player was having a particularly off day on the front 9 (I think he shot 40 or 41) and you could tell he was pretty heated (he was a bit of a hot head anyway). On this particular course, you had to venture through the parking lot to get from the 9th green to the 10th tee, which was just outside the clubhouse patio. So on his walk through the parking lot, he walks over to his team van and throws his clubs in and grabs his 7-iron. He slams the trunk shut and walks to the 10th tee. Kid played the entire back 9 with only a 7-iron and shot 37.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

I did it at my club last year as a bet against an 11 handicap straight up for nine holes. I was a -1 at the time and never attempted it before. I ended up shooting +3 on the nine and won. The toughest part was shots of 60-130 where you had to carry something i.e. a bunker or water.

FWIW I hit 7 about 190. It was a really good and fun experience. I'd do it more often if I played as much but since my golf time is limited I'd prefer to play "real golf" when I'm able to play.

[quote name='anjoga' timestamp='1441308742' post='12258512']
[quote name='MrSurly' timestamp='1441304520' post='12258070']
Assuming that the average distance for a 7 is around 170...
[/quote]
[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441307952' post='12258422']
FWIW I hit 7 about 190....
[/quote]

I read these things, and I feel like I do not belong here... :(
[/quote]

I can't speak for anyone else on this forum but I'm 6'6", a former collegiate/pro athlete in another sport and playing my irons a full inch over standard. The only thing I'm consistent with in golf is club head speed...putting, chipping, wedge play not so much. :cry:

Nothing drives me more crazy than having wedge or less into a green, coming away with a par or worse while my 50yr old playing partner who hit 3 hybrid into the green birdies and says "nice drive".

My buddy and I often play marathons in the summer. (When it is dry here) In order to mix things up a bit we will assign certain clubs to certain holes. Since we both hit it almost the same distances it isn't hard to come up with an agreement. And then we play skins.

Funny thing - I parred the #1 handicap hole with nothing but my 5 iron and putter. (Putter is always still in play) And I almost made a bird on a par 5 with nothing but hybrid down the line.

But the funniest hole was a par 3. It was playing around 145 and we had assigned 7 iron to it. This would mean we would have to really choke down as this is one club too much for both of us. He had honors and he pured it to about 4 feet. I then proceeded to hit a knock down shot that stopped about 1 foot from! Tap in bird!

You can really learn a lot about your game doing this. How to hit new and different shots. How to control distances. How to play your clubs with more capability. And frankly it is also fun!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441307952' post='12258422']I did it at my club last year as a bet against an 11 handicap straight up for nine holes. I was a -1 at the time and never attempted it before. I ended up shooting +3 on the nine and won. The toughest part was shots of 60-130 where you had to carry something i.e. a bunker or water.

FWIW I hit 7 about 190. It was a really good and fun experience. I'd do it more often if I played as much but since my golf time is limited I'd prefer to play "real golf" when I'm able to play.[/quote]

You must hit your driver around 340 on bad hits.

i'm doing this as a tournament once a year. players can choose a club of their own, but most of the players have a 6 or 7 iron.
normaly you don't hit the green in regulation, but some easy-ish up and downs. the score of the better players is a little higher then playing with a full set. the higher hcp players play so much better.
its real fun for 9 holes. would recommend it to everybody

[quote name='unclebeejo' timestamp='1441310517' post='12258698']
[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441307952' post='12258422']I did it at my club last year as a bet against an 11 handicap straight up for nine holes. I was a -1 at the time and never attempted it before. I ended up shooting +3 on the nine and won. The toughest part was shots of 60-130 where you had to carry something i.e. a bunker or water.

FWIW I hit 7 about 190. It was a really good and fun experience. I'd do it more often if I played as much but since my golf time is limited I'd prefer to play "real golf" when I'm able to play.[/quote]

[/quote]

Please explain how you came to this conclusion...

I simply offered a frame of reference for my experience playing the aforementioned "Tin cup game". I only offered this because I recognize most golfers don't hit the same distance with their respective 7 irons. We had a third member who played the same game on that day with a 5 iron because that represents the same distance as my 7. If you're going to play this game, in my opinion, it should be with a club you can reasonably hit a distance that will enable you to get close to hitting a green in reg on par 4's.

[quote name='cliche' timestamp='1441310815' post='12258732']
i'm doing this as a tournament once a year. players can choose a club of their own, but most of the players have a 6 or 7 iron.
normaly you don't hit the green in regulation, but some easy-ish up and downs. the score of the better players is a little higher then playing with a full set. the higher hcp players play so much better.
its real fun for 9 holes. would recommend it to everybody
[/quote]

Agreed, definitely will encourage creativity in your shot making, 1/2 swings and knock downs.

[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441311272' post='12258788'][quote name='unclebeejo' timestamp='1441310517' post='12258698']

[/quote]

I simply offered a frame of reference for my experience playing the aforementioned "Tin cup game". I only offered this because I recognize most golfers don't hit the same distance with their respective 7 irons. We had a third member who played the same game on that day with a 5 iron because that represents the same distance as my 7. If you're going to play this game, in my opinion, it should be with a club you can reasonably hit a distance that will enable you to get close to hitting a green in reg on par 4's.[/quote]

I've found out anytime someone references their distance when it wasn't asked, it's usually inflated. Just my opinion, didn't mean to offend you.

[quote name='unclebeejo' timestamp='1441312468' post='12258934']
[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441311272' post='12258788'][quote name='unclebeejo' timestamp='1441310517' post='12258698']

[/quote]

I simply offered a frame of reference for my experience playing the aforementioned "Tin cup game". I only offered this because I recognize most golfers don't hit the same distance with their respective 7 irons. We had a third member who played the same game on that day with a 5 iron because that represents the same distance as my 7. If you're going to play this game, in my opinion, it should be with a club you can reasonably hit a distance that will enable you to get close to hitting a green in reg on par 4's.[/quote]

I've found out anytime someone references their distance when it wasn't asked, it's usually inflated. Just my opinion, didn't mean to offend you.
[/quote]

No worries, wasn't offended. I know what my game is and isn't. I just viewed it to be an unneccessary comment which is why I felt compelled to reply to it. And I tend to agree with your statement in general. I guess I should have included my reasoning for referencing distance in the original post to avoid this discussion in the first place.

Back on topic....If you play enough to feel like you aren't wasting a round, I encourage everyone to try it. Make it a competition with playing partners. Just don't hit into a deep green side bunker!

I've never played a full round, or 9. But when I worked at golf courses, I'd bring one club with me while pulling pins for the night. Was always great fun trying to manufacture shots.

It's surprising how well you can still shoot. Almost similar to playing from the ladies tees and how I'd end up scoring worse.

When I was in college we used to play 7 iron all the time, sometimes straight up only 7 iron, other times, 7 iron, putter and a wild club. If you used the wild club you couldn't use your putter. I can remember many good times on the North Course at Purdue. Obviously, this game was aided by beer.

I made a two part bet with a friend who is not a golfer.
I won the first part of the bet. (Browns record for last football season)

Part two of the bet is 9 holes. I only get my SW. He gets entire bag.
He's only played golf about 5 times in his life.
I figure if I can keep it under 50 then I'll have a good shot at winning.
I'll find out how it goes next weekend.

[quote name='rcb1586' timestamp='1441369919' post='12262252']

[/quote]

I like your chances. Just practice that bladed SW off the tee.

[quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441372914' post='12262468']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Exactly. I just move it back half a ball or so and take my normal swing.
I'm just planning on getting on the par 4s in 3 shots and I should be fine.

[quote name='rcb1586' timestamp='1441388231' post='12263716'][quote name='GolfinHack' timestamp='1441372914' post='12262468']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Exactly. I just move it back half a ball or so and take my normal swing.
I'm just planning on getting on the par 4s in 3 shots and I should be fine.[/quote]I'd move it up a bit and try to catch it in the forehead on the upswing

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I do this at least twice a month for a few holes.

If a few of us get there early for the league, we''ll load up and quickly play open holes, with just a few rules.

$5 per hole, 1 club, no tee, ball must be holed, two tie all tie with carryovers.

Love this format, 4 footers for a tie, or to win/lose/carryover $30 with your 6 iron can make things real interesting.

X________________________________ Sign Here