True Temper X7

KPH808

Pretty sure Tony Finau has these in the bag!

If that's true then the X7 won both PGA tour events today!

It was reported a while back he changed, less he went back to x1's

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

These have been around for a while. True Temper just kept them under wraps, as they weren't that popular on tour. But having a higher profile player like Jason Day playing them has not only forced their hand, but also made them adorn the shafts with the hideous "Tour Issue" graphics so they can market properly.

Been playing these on and off since 2003 or so. They are worth every penny when you love the DG feel, and need something stouter than X-100. I absolutely LOVE them in wedges and short irons for trajectory control.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

These have been around for a while. True Temper just kept them under wraps, as they weren't that popular on tour. But having a higher profile player like Jason Day playing them has not only forced their hand, but also made them adorn the shafts with the hideous "Tour Issue" graphics so they can market properly.

Been playing these on and off since 2003 or so. They are worth every penny when you love the DG feel, and need something stouter than X-100. I absolutely LOVE them in wedges and short irons for trajectory control.

Do you know your swingspeed on a 5 iron by any chance? I'm very interested in getting these I'm just worried they might be too much to handle but I never found x1s to be really stiff by any means so maybe I'll be alright?

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

What's the difference between these and x100 how did they make them stiffer? I know they are a .610 butt but anyone know how they differ throughout the profile?

Data on true temper

http://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-x7/

http://www.truetemper.com/top-7-things-to-know-about-x7/

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

So basically just a bit lower launching and spinning? I feel like if it really was only that then more pros would be using it..

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX

So basically just a bit lower launching and spinning? I feel like if it really was only that then more pros would be using it..

Think c taper x performance , slightly lower launch, better feel

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

That sounds awesome, I loved c taper performance. Hated the feel.

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX

That, and the tips don't bend on DG.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Ya I watched that video actually! I think I'm going to soft step a set of X7s. I love the weight of s400s and I feel like that way these won't play too boardy. Anyone have any experience with soft stepping these??

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX

Do you know your swingspeed on a 5 iron by any chance? I'm very interested in getting these I'm just worried they might be too much to handle but I never found x1s to be really stiff by any means so maybe I'll be alright?

Last time I was reliably measured my 5 iron swing speed was 110mph. This was at a WRX sponsored TMAG trip. I begged them to put X7 into the irons I was trying. But they refused and I received a set to try with X-100. Needless to say, my brother ended up with a great set of irons because they were too weak for me.

Only look into X7 if X-100 is spinning too much or if they get squirrely on you when you really try to muscle one. I.E. It's guaranteed to go left. That is where I think people benefit from X7. It's that sixth gear that X-100 just doesn't have.

Last time I was reliably measured my 5 iron swing speed was 110mph. This was at a WRX sponsored TMAG trip. I begged them to put X7 into the irons I was trying. But they refused and I received a set to try with X-100. Needless to say, my brother ended up with a great set of irons because they were too weak for me.

Only look into X7 if X-100 is spinning too much or if they get squirrely on you when you really try to muscle one. I.E. It's guaranteed to go left. That is where I think people benefit from X7. It's that sixth gear that X-100 just doesn't have.

Yikes.. You're a brute my friend!! So I went ahead and ordered them anyways, going to soft step them in my new irons coming in next week!!

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX

Okay, I need a vid of that swing. Not because I doubt you, but because I need to see what a 110 mph 5i actually looks like!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Lower launch and spin aren't the answer to every problem on the golf course. Some people - dare I say - actually want/need higher launch and spin, or at least launch and spin that exceed certain thresholds. You don't need to hit knuckleball 7 irons. You just need the 7 iron to go where it's supposed to go.

Okay, I need a vid of that swing. Not because I doubt you, but because I need to see what a 110 mph 5i actually looks like!

I second that motion.

I second that motion.

I third that motion. When I was younger, I had my 5 iron measured at 99 mph and would hit it about 210. Can't even imagine what a 110 mph 5 iron would do. By the way, I'm now right about 90 and a good 25 yards shorter. Amazing what the ten years between 24 and 34 will do for you!

I third that motion. When I was younger, I had my 5 iron measured at 99 mph and would hit it about 210. Can't even imagine what a 110 mph 5 iron would do. By the way, I'm now right about 90 and a good 25 yards shorter. Amazing what the ten years between 24 and 34 will do for you!

You think it sucks now, wait until you hit 50+.

Your comment reminds me.... I didn't start playing golf until my 35th birthday, and for various reasons, it took me several years to hit my distance peak. Which was in my 40s. My 5 iron peaked in the mid 90s, with the occasional visit to 100 (those so called 110% shots that happen periodically, they're not always fliers). I've wondered what it would have been like for me in my early 20s...

What's funny is, no matter where you are on the distance curve, there's always someone longer. My first round with a fellow golf forumite, back in 2000, I got to witness a 320 yd 3 wood (with a Titleist Professional). Another guy I used to play with had Stage-like speed, maybe even a bit more; I've seen him hit some fairly ridiculous shots. And so on.

Such is life. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Your comment reminds me.... I didn't start playing golf until my 35th birthday, and for various reasons, it took me several years to hit my distance peak. Which was in my 40s. My 5 iron peaked in the mid 90s, with the occasional visit to 100 (those so called 110% shots that happen periodically, they're not always fliers). I've wondered what it would have been like for me in my early 20s...

What's funny is, no matter where you are on the distance curve, there's always someone longer. My first round with a fellow golf forumite, back in 2000, I got to witness a 320 yd 3 wood (with a Titleist Professional). Another guy I used to play with had Stage-like speed, maybe even a bit more; I've seen him hit some fairly ridiculous shots. And so on.

You ain't lyin'!

I tried LDA for a very short period of time and found out that I'm not worthy. My longest measured and verified drive was 390 in the grid and that day I still got flown by 16 yards. There is always someone longer. The other thing I learned about long drive is that consistency doesn't mean jack squat. 5 of 6 in the grid consistency still loses to 1 of 6 in the grid when they nut one.

The interesting part about that TMAG trip is when they looked at my angles compared to a PGA player. The pro usually has about 10° of forward shaft lean at impact. My shafts are almost vertical at impact, which accounts for the excess spin and high launch that I put on the ball. My time with Haney was spent trying to get my wrists in a better position at impact. Difficult to unlearn what has been a natural swing tendency for 30+ years, though.

They wanted to crank my driver back down to 6.5° to increase distance and the irons they built were 3° strong because they were trying to maximize distance. I'm slowly bringing my launch down and increasing distance as my angles improve. But when you are used to hitting a 5 iron a consistent 205 and they juice your lofts by almost a club, it's hard to adjust.

I also remember Rob being pissed that my ballspeed from my 3W was better than his driver. Fun trip. Haney is a believer that most people should swing harder to achieve distance. He said this to the WRX group, then looked at me and said "except you!"

You ain't lyin'!

I tried LDA for a very short period of time and found out that I'm not worthy. My longest measured and verified drive was 390 in the grid and that day I still got flown by 16 yards. There is always someone longer. The other thing I learned about long drive is that consistency doesn't mean jack squat. 5 of 6 in the grid consistency still loses to 1 of 6 in the grid when they nut one.

The interesting part about that TMAG trip is when they looked at my angles compared to a PGA player. The pro usually has about 10° of forward shaft lean at impact. My shafts are almost vertical at impact, which accounts for the excess spin and high launch that I put on the ball. My time with Haney was spent trying to get my wrists in a better position at impact. Difficult to unlearn what has been a natural swing tendency for 30+ years, though.

They wanted to crank my driver back down to 6.5° to increase distance and the irons they built were 3° strong because they were trying to maximize distance. I'm slowly bringing my launch down and increasing distance as my angles improve. But when you are used to hitting a 5 iron a consistent 205 and they juice your lofts by almost a club, it's hard to adjust.

I also remember Rob being pissed that my ballspeed from my 3W was better than his driver. Fun trip. Haney is a believer that most people should swing harder to achieve distance. He said this to the WRX group, then looked at me and said "except you!"

I had the same experience with LDA. I went down there thinking i could hang with drives in the average of 380-390 and got smashed in the first round.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

That's my problem, also. It's only been 17 years for me, but it's hard to counter that learned behavior.

If I'd known in my early days, maybe I could have fixed it from the start before it became ingrained.

I remember a day in my first couple years, I'd read something about adding spine tilt at address, most amateurs don't have enough, blah blah. I thought I should try it. On the course, I'm about to hit a 6 iron. I do what the mag suggested and hit a shot that ballooned and came up 30 yds short. I could hear it buzzing on the way, it was spinning so much. What makes it better, I was using a Top Flite XL. And there was no wind. LOL

I guess I already had enough. ;)

Haney is a believer that most people should swing harder to achieve distance. He said this to the WRX group, then looked at me and said "except you!"

I love this. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You ain't lyin'!

That's hilarious stage. Quick question. Have you played the modus 130x? If so how do they compare to the x7? I love the modus I have and am not looking to swap but just curious.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Negative on the Modus 130. I picked up a set of 2S14 X prototypes and have been working on those. I still have one set of X7 shafts if I need to go back, but I'm getting used to the slightly different feel of the 2S14. It's firmer in the butt and feels different when it loads/unloads. But the launch is lower and they track better in windy conditions.

I tried the Modus 120TX and it wasn't even close. Those acted like S400 or X100 shafts.

There were rumors at one point of a 36.5" X7 wedge shaft for hardstepping. This was before the Tour Issue version. I'd love to find some of those. I really wish more OEMs would go back to 130g steel with some balls and create more low/low options. The soft tip of KBS and PX is a guaranteed spinner. X7 was a godsend when I got my first set.

Yikes.. You're a brute my friend!! So I went ahead and ordered them anyways, going to soft step them in my new irons coming in next week!!

Be not afraid my fellow wrx'er, I myself have a pedestrian 97-99 with a 7 iron x7 - so my 5i isn't close to 110 , and do just fine with them straight in. Enjoy you x7's

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Negative on the Modus 130. I picked up a set of 2S14 X prototypes and have been working on those. I still have one set of X7 shafts if I need to go back, but I'm getting used to the slightly different feel of the 2S14. It's firmer in the butt and feels different when it loads/unloads. But the launch is lower and they track better in windy conditions.

I tried the Modus 120TX and it wasn't even close. Those acted like S400 or X100 shafts.

There were rumors at one point of a 36.5" X7 wedge shaft for hardstepping. This was before the Tour Issue version. I'd love to find some of those. I really wish more OEMs would go back to 130g steel with some balls and create more low/low options. The soft tip of KBS and PX is a guaranteed spinner. X7 was a godsend when I got my first set.

Yep I had the 120tx very briefly and no way would I play them. Exactly like x100 for me.loose and looking to go left of I stepped On one. But the 130x is a whole different animal. Very low spin and penetrating launch for me. I'm currently playing px 6.5 in my wedges like I've always done. I may order 2 x7 wedge shafts and give them a spin in my wedges.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 4 weeks later...

Played modus120tx c taper 130x and x7 now as well as kbs tourv 120x.

Lowest spin is ctaper then tour v then x7 but all clooooose.

Flight x7 then ctaper then tour v

Tour v has best distances but x7 has best feel and slight workability as the others are straight line flights and anti subtle workable shots(not bad just is). I looooooove tour v but x7 gets the nod since I naturally work it a touch most shots and V just likes straight....as if thats a bad thing lol.

X7 are not that stiff really, if you hit x100 and think sometimes it spins too much or feels loose you need these softstepped or straight in. Im 100 with 5i

Played modus120tx c taper 130x and x7 now as well as kbs tourv 120x.

Lowest spin is ctaper then tour v then x7 but all clooooose.

Flight x7 then ctaper then tour v

Tour v has best distances but x7 has best feel and slight workability as the others are straight line flights and anti subtle workable shots(not bad just is). I looooooove tour v but x7 gets the nod since I naturally work it a touch most shots and V just likes straight....as if thats a bad thing lol.

X7 are not that stiff really, if you hit x100 and think sometimes it spins too much or feels loose you need these softstepped or straight in. Im 100 with 5i

Beauty man that's some great news! I played c taper 130x and then went to kbs tour v 120x. Just soft stepped some x7s in my new irons and really looking forward to trying them out! This helped me out a lot, thanks for your input my friend

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX

I had the X7 as lowest spin and launch vs. C Taper X. Every one swings it a bit differently. Try them out and see for yourself. One thing you are more than likely to find out if you're in the market for X7 is that anything that says KBS on it may not be long for your swing. Great products... until they bend.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+