2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon Dunes in guaranteed bad weather

JJPIV

Guys I need some opinions, have a trip planned to Northern California next weekend for work and added a few days on the weekend to play golf. Issue is, 14 day forecast is over 60% chance of rain everyday up and down the west coast. So that washes golf in San Fran or most of the courses I was looking at. I just got the bright idea to check out Bandon, as the drive is manageable and that is links weather.

Is Bandon worth the trip to go alone and know I will be playing in bad weather? Looks like high of 55 and 15-25 wind gusts and 60% rain. Would be planning on playing 36 sat and sun, staying on site sat night. I know the room and Sunday tee times are available, need to verify the Saturday ones.

Is it worth the experience or will I regret spending the money and time just to golf in a storm? Is the rain typically light on the coast or heavy down pours? I would most likely skip the caddy to keep the price manageable. The only reviews I have found will mention bad weather but only review the good weather days. Who has some reviews playing in the rain?

Thanks for the input!

SIM 10.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
TS2 15, Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
818 H2 19, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it's still probably worth it. They forecast the weather like that nearly every day, as the weather changes so much.

But it is impossible to say for sure that is the weather you'll actually get.

I was there two weeks ago and our forecast looked pretty heinous even 2 days out. 3 of our 4 days were good with one being absolutely perfect.

I've played in the rain there a bunch and have only played once where it was truly awful (40+ winds, heavy rain). You just embrace it.

It is useless to look at the forecast until you get inside 48 hours. My caddy last year said that they don't even look at the weather until the day before. I found this to be completely true last year as the extended forecast proved beyond worthless.

Furthermore, storms have a tendency to move in and move out. This is the general rule, but there are exceptions. You certainly could drive up there and get washed out the entire time, but the probability is low, but not zero.

You either go or don't, regardless of the forecast.

Regarding playing in the rain, most grind it out until the point where it becomes no fun. Everybody has a different point of capitulation. The first step regardless is to be prepared with the proper gear...high quality rain suit and rain gloves, high quality shoes, etc. And yes, when it rains, it rains with some force, but the courses can absorb a lot of rain and dry up quickly.

After going once and soon to go for a second time, I ascribe to the general Bandon rule that if you have a chance to go, you go, no questions asked and deal with whatever roll of the dice presents itself.

Going alone is 100% worth it. Everybody is there for the same reason and with the same like mind. There of course are exceptions, but you usually won't be the casual golfer out there trying to get in 18 after work, particularly in the off season.

Thanks for the quick responses, I am not sure when the next time I could get out here is so I wanted to take advantage of it. I definitely will be calling to get it booked today.

Few more questions:

-4 rounds in 2 days, do I need a second rain suit? Currently have an older FJ dry joy that has always held up, but typically only need 1 round in a weekend.

- any items you would suggest to bring that aren't common? Planning on 2 pair of shoes and 2 pair of rain gloves.

718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

Thanks for the quick responses, I am not sure when the next time I could get out here is so I wanted to take advantage of it. I definitely will be calling to get it booked today.

Few more questions:

-4 rounds in 2 days, do I need a second rain suit? Currently have an older FJ dry joy that has always held up, but typically only need 1 round in a weekend.

- any items you would suggest to bring that aren't common? Planning on 2 pair of shoes and 2 pair of rain gloves.

No need to overthink your gear, you'll be fine with what you normally use. 2 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of rain gloves is plenty. As long as the rain suit is of good quality, shouldn't be an issue, although Goretex is always preferred. As for the weather forecast, even if it is accurate this far out (hahahahahaha) that isn't too bad. Have fun!

Yeah I mean the forecast along the coast there can change in a matter of minutes. I was there in September, which is generally the safest time weather wise to play, and it absolutely poured for the first 5 or 6 holes of our first round (Bandon Dunes). It was supposed to be sunny and calm all day. I feel like at Bandon and on the Oregon coast in general, it's the exception to have a golf trip with 0 rain.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Tons of socks. Nothing better than changing socks and shoes between rounds.

If it rains, get the GoreTex Bandon bucket hat.

Enjoy, and take lots of pictures!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Tons of socks. Nothing better than changing socks and shoes between rounds.

If it rains, get the GoreTex Bandon bucket hat.

Enjoy, and take lots of pictures!

The socks and shoes was the best information I received before my trip. Even if you have to wear same shoes, switching socks makes a world of difference.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I would still go. One of my most memorable and fun rounds was a ridiculous day on Bandon. If you have the right mentality, you'll have a great time. Just don't expect to play for total score, play for shots and the feel of it all. Lots of good recommendations, but I would also consider a back up jacket. You can find lots of them on closeout, non-goretex, in the $30-50 range. Hand warmers will help take some of the chill out of your hands/bones if you get wet or especially cold/windy weather.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I would strongly recommend getting a goretex jacket and pants. If there is a light rain, you can get away with anything else, but if it pours or rains steadily with any real wind, you're getting soaked.

I played the biblical Thursday a couple weeks ago and everything gore stayed dry (shirt tail got a little wet when I bent over to read putts, wind blew rain over shoe laces) with good rain gear. The same couldn't be said for much of our group--lots failed and a couple understandably walked off.

If you're at all worried about the weather or worried about not enjoying it if you get wet, this is probably the number one thing you should take care of. Especially so since it's basically the only thing you can control with regards to weather.

In all the times, I've played at Bandon, only one round was partly washed out to the point that I actually quit playing. Started Raining in the afternoon on the Bandon Dunes course a ton, literally buckets and buckets. Now that wouldn't have been too bad, but it was windy beyond belief as well (over 40+ mph). It got to the point that i couldn't see, couldn't even hold on to the clubs and water was starting to build up on the greens. At that point, my caddy and I quit. Came back later and finished the last three holes).

But I've played in mostly light rain with no issues there, snow, sleet, and hail, wind of various speeds, and of course gorgeous days as well. My experience is if its totally pouring, wait a little while and it'll change, usually for the better. That's the great thing about true links golf. Weather is a critical factor on the courses and what makes links courses tough. Calm pretty days are nice but the courses generally plan much easier with no weather conditions. It really tests your meddle. Even if you go alone, you're still going to test your skills against widely varying conditions and courses.

Just be prepared with lots of waterproofed or extra rain gloves. And don't worry about getting wet, you will. As others have said, lots of extra socks. Changing them is worth it. And carry some extra sweaters or undershirts or whatever to layer up. It can get chilly as well, especially under certain wind conditions.

Of the 30+ rounds I've managed over the past few years, I've only played 1 round where in hindsight, I'd just as soon not gone out.
Horrible, horrible rain, plus strong wind with really strong gusts (4I required on 14 on Pacific). The rain hurt, it did a number on my hands and feet and pretty much finished off a pair of shoes, and the guys we played with were a bit plodding at times, which made it all the worse.

So what did we do after getting off the course? We huddled around the proshop with a bunch of other golfers - a group of 12 who were humming and hawing about going out - kept peeking around the corner at the sky for about 20mins, they wimped out, and we figured fook it. Grabbed a few snacks, hit the toilets, and tooled up for another round. The course was empty because of the storm and we scooted around on a virtually empty course, and didn't catch up to anyone until 13. The weather improved to the point of cloudy with sunny breaks and it was great fun.

Much like taking a trip to the UK/Ireland you simply have to come to terms with what you may get weather wise in some destinations and either go for it or pass and go to Palm Springs :)

Read this thread and others for Bandon prep advice and Go For It OP and have fun!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

One big towel at least. I mean like a Beach towel Stowed away in your Garmet pocket. Some of Those hand warmers wrapped Up inside. Pull that out to dry and warm your face and hands well every 3 Holes or so. Wrap it back up. One of those Microwavable heat pads is pretty good too.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Has anyone confirmed the "rumor" that you can borrow a water proof golf bag from them? Clubs still get wet, but at least your bag won't weigh 100 lbs.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

From what I have read the caddies will sometimes offer the water proof bags, but I am not planning on getting one, so very interested in that answer. I have also heard about the water proof scorecards you can request. I pulled the trigger this morning and booked 4 rounds next weekend. BD and PD sat then PT and OM sun. The single that was available on site yesterday was taken but found a deal in Bandon which offset the guest fees. Can't wait for this trip.

Can anyone comment on the 5 hour rounds? When booking they said you have to book 5 hours apart. Will I be rushing to my second tee time or should I expect a little over 4 and time to grab lunch? Never had an issue on the RTJ Trail and I think we usually schedule 5 hours including lunch.

718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

The marshals do their best to keep groups moving at 4:20-4:30 pace. I don't think you'll have to "rush" to your next tee time, but I wouldn't count on having a sit down lunch. You'll probably save time, since it sounds like you'll have your own car. Pack your change of clothes and a sandwich.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

From what I have read the caddies will sometimes offer the water proof bags, but I am not planning on getting one, so very interested in that answer. I have also heard about the water proof scorecards you can request. I pulled the trigger this morning and booked 4 rounds next weekend. BD and PD sat then PT and OM sun. The single that was available on site yesterday was taken but found a deal in Bandon which offset the guest fees. Can't wait for this trip.

Can anyone comment on the 5 hour rounds? When booking they said you have to book 5 hours apart. Will I be rushing to my second tee time or should I expect a little over 4 and time to grab lunch? Never had an issue on the RTJ Trail and I think we usually schedule 5 hours including lunch.

The marshals do their best to keep groups moving at 4:20-4:30 pace. I don't think you'll have to "rush" to your next tee time, but I wouldn't count on having a sit down lunch. You'll probably save time, since it sounds like you'll have your own car. Pack your change of clothes and a sandwich.

Trails can be slow in my experience, even getting out early, in the 4:30-5:00 hour mark.

But otherwise, ya spot on Buzlin, it's more about having time for a bathroom break and to grab a sandwich and drink.

The 5hr gap is also to protect the afternoon teesheet from being a clusterfcuk of people showing up right at their time or 15-20 mins after their time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

By pairing BD/PD and PT/OM you are kind of ping-ponging around the resort. Everything is like mile from each other, but, having to load the car or shuttle and drive may take away the time to have a sit down lunch between lunch. When we went, we played PD and OM back to back. Since they are so close we were able to sit down at PD after the round and have a nice lunch on their patio. The day before that we paired BD with PT and since PT is the par 3 there really was no rush.

On a side note, did you pass on Bandon Trails? I think it's the best layout on the property. It's a fantastic golf course. Was probably my second favorite overall of the bunch.

Oh and one pro tip... ask the caddy before the round for a ziplock plastic bag (if they don't offer one). Put any electronics and your wallet in it. Nothing worse than playing a round in the rain and opening your bag to a fried iPhone when you are done.... I speak of this from experience. At Bandon our caddy brought out a plastic shopping bag from the proshop so we could drop anything of value in it.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

On a side note, did you pass on Bandon Trails? I think it's the best layout on the property. It's a fantastic golf course. Was probably my second favorite overall of the bunch.

Misspoke, I start on Bandon Trails Sunday morning. It worked out that I could get on all four courses over the weekend. Hopefully have enough time to checkout the punch bowl too. Finishing early sat and starting later on Sunday.

Great tip on the ziplock bags. I have a few dry-lock bags I use kayaking that I'll pack.

Any other tips out there? Anything you wish you would have known going in your first time?

718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

Just go.

If you want to read a lot of trip reports (both good and bad weather), go to the Northwest subforum of the Courses & Travel forum. Pretty much everyone who has commented here has written one or more summaries of their trip(s). There is a wealth of tips and info in those threads.

Warning: Some are more wordy than others... :)

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Since 2001 I've been going almost annually, usually in the winter.

Over 70+ rounds, I've only walked in once, in Dec 2005 on Pacific during a serious rainstorm with heavy wind. I got to #7 & it was horrendous. My little carry bag was acting as a sail & twisting me around. That trip was the only time we had five straight days of rain. (My friend didn't play that morning but wisely got a rain check.)

Another trip a buddy & I played a round at Bandon in a steady rain with some wind, & we had a blast.

Other trips there's been a little rain with one - two club winds, but the fairways are so firm & fast that conditions are good even in the rain & even in the winter. (Some Decembers the resort has had sprinklers going in the fairways, which is pretty unusual to see in the Pacific Northwest.)

As others have said, rain gloves & Goretex are helpful. Umbrellas are useless, because the wind pushes the rain everywhere.

If you haven't been to Bandon before, & if it might be a long time before you get another chance, go.

One tip that I picked up that worked great was that if it looks like rain is a possibility just wear your rain pants from the start. I just wore some athletic leggings underneath. They called it thermal underwear back in my day. Under Armor, Russell, etc. all make some nice warm, tight fitting stuff. Much easier than wrestling rain pants on and off over your trousers while your a** is sitting in the rain out in the middle of Old Mac. The weather comes in fast and it won't always be right overhead. It will look like you have time and the next thing you know you are in a deluge.

Also, another pro tip (from my caddy). Pack your rain jacket for easy access and unzipped. If you try to unzip it in the middle of the rain and the wind, you might set sail or be chasing that thing down the fairway. Yes, I did this out on about #14 on OM last year. Total rookie mistake.