2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nike 2017

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are these??!

I need to start watermarking my instagram!

Came accross this pick on the internet sorry if its a picture you took. I just saw it and immediately thought it might be a new club for Nike. Again sorry about that.

No worries at all. If you found it on IG, the description tells exactly what that is, a hand made prototype/concept to what is now the Vapor Pro forged iron. I have a few 1-off sets hand made by Don White who is a legend, and this iron really got to me when I saw it and held it. One of the many things that really would change a lot of golfer's perceptions of Nike in the golf segment.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

My random thoughts/hopes for Nike in 2017 :)

I will admit that I have had a love/hate relationship with some of the product and clothing releases from Nike over the years, but with that said, I'm a HUGE fan of Nike and the amazing people I have met there. I have found myself thinking or saying "that ___ is cool if it didn't have ___" or "this club would be amazing if it just ___". Basically everything has been almost exactly what I would want, both in equipment and in clothing.

Woods:

To this day, I think the VR LTD was one of the best and most underrated clubs Nike has released. Amazing from address, feel/sound were perfect, and ball speeds stood toe to toe with the RBZ when it came on with all the hype/marketing/tour use. Since then, there have been bright red, bright blue, and volt accented drivers. More of a statement is made with the paint color than the actual performance of the club. The thing I think has hurt them, is that people will automatically rule their drivers out without even hitting them because the looks are so love/hate. I'm not talking about the Nike lovers who will buy anything, I'm talking about the guys that play other OEM's that would probably like the Nike product but won't try it. I think that Nike should release a more neutral color with a cool color released as a "limited edition" that won't turn away any "traditional" golfers and will still appeal to the younger/flashier golfers.

I think the woods are a LOT better than the Covert line, which I thought was one of the worst. The blue drivers, I felt were slight improvements over the Vapor line, and the Flex 440 is one of the longest drivers I have hit. I think a Flex 460 that keeps the good for good performance up there amongst the best, and increasing the overall forgiveness, will prove to be a really serious driver. For the Fly and Fly Pro, I'd like to see something closer in performance to what the tour guys are using. The Flex is the flagship and "concept car" for them, but none of their biggest names are using it. When I hit the Fly and Fly Pro, they just spun like crazy compared to the Flex.

Irons/Wedges:

Without getting too far off track, what I'm hoping to see would be a Nike version of the T-MB, but forged. I've been a huge fan of the T-MB and did extensive testing of the PXG. Really didn't like the PXG but loved the T-MB. If a forged Nike version of the T-MB came out I would be all over it. I like the trend of packing a lot of performance into a blade-like head. I wasn't a huge fan of offering a black pvd finish on an iron that could be blended in with their other lines, I feel like they can go a number of different ways, either to a tech-infused traditional look or a really futuristic look, and I'm not sure which would be better. With guys like Rory still using the VR line, I'm really interested to see what feedback their top tiered athletes give and how the product lines are influenced. One of my good buddies is starting break through on the Web.com, I always like getting his feedback on equipment to see how it compares to mine.

Also know the player referred to above was testing some new materials and wedges back at the Northern Trust, I think the VR and Engage wedges have been really solid. The main improvements I would want out of the Engage line would be to have a softer material and more/better grind options. I think the SM6 has been the best Vokey line released yet, and the grind options are just insanely good. I'm not saying Nike has to cast as wide of a net, but I do think some of the grinds in the Engage need to be a little better. Specifically interested in the modifications to the Toe Sweep and Dual Sole grinds, maybe 1 more bounce option in these two would be good.

Clothing:

Absolutely hated the previous year's clothing options, but this year is a completely different story. I had some "constructive criticism" at the NG Fashion event in NYC, and I'm not sure if any of my feedback had any influence, but they came out with a few products that are absolutely perfect. The modern washed pant/short is one of my favorite items they've released. Looks like cotton, stretches, and dri-fit, amazing! I'm also starting to like the blade collars and the MM Fly Swing polo and the Flex Knit 1/2 zip and v-neck are my favorites. I like the use of colors that actually match other colors and use of some traditional colors so that they don't go out of style every 3 months. Love the integration of lifestyle shoes (AM90) and Jordan Golf, just wish they were a little lower in profile and lower to the ground. More and more, I'm wearing Nike shoes and clothes and less Peter Millar/FJ. If in the remote chance any one from the design team from the Nike NYC event is reading this, thank you! :drinks:

Sorry for the rambling, I've been posting more on Instagram and less on WRX lately, but hoping to add more to the pics below in 2017 :)

WRX%20071316.jpg

WRX%20071316-2.jpg

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Also know the player referred to above was testing some new materials and wedges back at the Northern Trust, I think the VR and Engage wedges have been really solid. The main improvements I would want out of the Engage line would be to have a softer material and more/better grind options. I think the SM6 has been the best Vokey line released yet, and the grind options are just insanely good. I'm not saying Nike has to cast as wide of a net, but I do think some of the grinds in the Engage need to be a little better. Specifically interested in the modifications to the Toe Sweep and Dual Sole grinds, maybe 1 more bounce option in these two would be good.

Sorry for the rambling, I've been posting more on Instagram and less on WRX lately, but hoping to add more to the pics below in 2017 :)

while the ENGAGE's wedges are good, I agree they could refine them slightly and they could very well be the best wedge on the market today

for one, clean them up appearance wise, get rid of that huge black area on the cavity

I'm hoping the new forged irons and ENGAGE wedges are awesome

not that my irons will go anywhere, but I could use a wedge refresh for sure

oh, and gimme a friggen flow neck Origin... K I'm done

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

^Understand your black finish comment, but try the fly pro against your tmb. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I will admit that I have had a love/hate relationship with some of the product and clothing releases from Nike over the years, but with that said, I'm a HUGE fan of Nike and the amazing people I have met there. I have found myself thinking or saying "that ___ is cool if it didn't have ___" or "this club would be amazing if it just ___". Basically everything has been almost exactly what I would want, both in equipment and in clothing.

Woods:

To this day, I think the VR LTD was one of the best and most underrated clubs Nike has released. Amazing from address, feel/sound were perfect, and ball speeds stood toe to toe with the RBZ when it came on with all the hype/marketing/tour use. Since then, there have been bright red, bright blue, and volt accented drivers. More of a statement is made with the paint color than the actual performance of the club. The thing I think has hurt them, is that people will automatically rule their drivers out without even hitting them because the looks are so love/hate. I'm not talking about the Nike lovers who will buy anything, I'm talking about the guys that play other OEM's that would probably like the Nike product but won't try it. I think that Nike should release a more neutral color with a cool color released as a "limited edition" that won't turn away any "traditional" golfers and will still appeal to the younger/flashier golfers.

I think the woods are a LOT better than the Covert line, which I thought was one of the worst. The blue drivers, I felt were slight improvements over the Vapor line, and the Flex 440 is one of the longest drivers I have hit. I think a Flex 460 that keeps the good for good performance up there amongst the best, and increasing the overall forgiveness, will prove to be a really serious driver. For the Fly and Fly Pro, I'd like to see something closer in performance to what the tour guys are using. The Flex is the flagship and "concept car" for them, but none of their biggest names are using it. When I hit the Fly and Fly Pro, they just spun like crazy compared to the Flex.

Irons/Wedges:

Without getting too far off track, what I'm hoping to see would be a Nike version of the T-MB, but forged. I've been a huge fan of the T-MB and did extensive testing of the PXG. Really didn't like the PXG but loved the T-MB. If a forged Nike version of the T-MB came out I would be all over it. I like the trend of packing a lot of performance into a blade-like head. I wasn't a huge fan of offering a black pvd finish on an iron that could be blended in with their other lines, I feel like they can go a number of different ways, either to a tech-infused traditional look or a really futuristic look, and I'm not sure which would be better. With guys like Rory still using the VR line, I'm really interested to see what feedback their top tiered athletes give and how the product lines are influenced. One of my good buddies is starting break through on the Web.com, I always like getting his feedback on equipment to see how it compares to mine.

Clothing:

Absolutely hated the previous year's clothing options, but this year is a completely different story. I had some "constructive criticism" at the NG Fashion event in NYC, and I'm not sure if any of my feedback had any influence, but they came out with a few products that are absolutely perfect. The modern washed pant/short is one of my favorite items they've released. Looks like cotton, stretches, and dri-fit, amazing! I'm also starting to like the blade collars and the MM Fly Swing polo and the Flex Knit 1/2 zip and v-neck are my favorites. I like the use of colors that actually match other colors and use of some traditional colors so that they don't go out of style every 3 months. Love the integration of lifestyle shoes (AM90) and Jordan Golf, just wish they were a little lower in profile and lower to the ground. More and more, I'm wearing Nike shoes and clothes and less Peter Millar/FJ. If in the remote chance any one from the design team from the Nike NYC event is reading this, thank you! :drinks:

WRX%20071316.jpg

WRX%20071316-2.jpg

Supposedly the woods and hybrids took a HUGE step forward this year.

Funny you mention the VR LTD, I know a few in the company who would still game this and keep it as their backup if it was acceptable. Quite a few in the company think it's the single best club they ever made. Couple weeks ago at Bandon my caddie was even saying that driver can stand up against any current driver out there.

Not really sure I'd be looking for huge changes or gains in the players clubs this year just a different look/colorway. Which is fine by me because I LOVE my VPC's, just wish I could have gotten the Asia spec color way.

Woods:

Irons/Wedges:

Clothing:

WRX%20071316.jpg

WRX%20071316-2.jpg

How were you able to get your hands on the MMProtos? Inside connection or just good timing?

Thanks,

Dave

Woods:

Tai, interesting you thought the Covert line was one of their worst. I actually thought the Covert 2.0 (driver) was better than the original Vapor. I tested the Vapor Pro for about 5-7 swings one day and I could immediately tell it wasn't going to knock my 2.0 Tour out of the bag. Something just felt off. I, admittedly, haven't tried the Vapor Fly line yet. I've been in the midst of purchasing a house and knowing full well I couldn't afford one, I've stayed away from even trying them. I didn't want the temptation.

I do agree that Nike needs to go back to a more "traditional" color if they want to expand their market share. I was working in golf retail just before the Vapor line came out and there were many good players who wouldn't even look at the Covert line simply because it was red. I can only imagine the same still holds true for the Vapor Fly and the blue. I truly believe that Nike's clubs can go toe-to-toe with any OEM out there, but if people won't even put it in their hands because they're put off by the way it looks, they've already lost. I'm not sure why Nike didn't release the "Blackout" driver as the original retail offering and then the blue later as a "limited" offering.

Regardless, I think Nike is taking steps in the right direction. Looking forward to 2017 when I can (hopefully) convince my wife it's time for a new set of clubs.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

i'll use this as a framework for my response - love your comments/opinions.

my lifestyle caters more to off the course than on right now with my girlies age(s) and weekend schedules - yet i breathe golf, working out, running, nike....that being said i am first and foremost and "individualist" that enjoys picking and choosing the best of what fits my eye and mixing/matching my favorites on and off the course. i don't love everything nike puts out - i enjoy the pieces the equipment that works and fits my eye. i can walk into the employee store and only come out with three things or three bags - it all depends on what "fits" and allows me to express me and my lifestyle.

in 2017.....

WOODS

i don't care about any other driver other than the flex - the rest of you can play the others. maintain the sound. find a way to integrate the flexflight better. continue to use RZN. make a three RZN flex fairway wood and hybrid.

IRONS

make a premium iron that is unique in design yet classic in the bag. the original MM proto forgings = perfect. i want the technology - yet this is the only club i want to look "classic". i transitioned back to my OVEN splits. love them. they are balanced. weighted so perfect and heavy. love them. i'll pay more than these than the vapor pro line irons - just release them otherwise i'm playing something else (older model). continue to make the "other" sets interchangeable and seamless - in fact...double your effort other OEM's perhaps integrate better. this being said - i will consider a 3 iron in the vapor fly pro like to throw in with my classic dream.

WEDGES

keep the raw. more grind options. keep the radical design - yet improve it. the weight must be heavy - s400 MUST be the stock shaft.

CLOTHING

couldn't be happier with the direction. make unique pieces. continue to move from traditional. i love the sportswear influence. I AM NOT COOKIE CUTTER. I DO NOT WANT TO LOOK LIKE ANYONE THAT HAS $200 to spend on clothing. i'll mix and match - and let me allow my lifestyle drive what i wear on the course. i'm me - i don't want to be Rory or any other NIKE athlete - i like my style and approach better. give me options and trust that i have fashion sense. for those who don't the scripted outfits will work great.

BAGS

flyknit bag please.

make the hyperadapt bag smaller. i love that you listened now make it better.

NIKE GOLF CLUB

this could be huge. i hope it is like NTC, NRC, SB, SNKRS app. they dominate my phone. i want to make purchasing, interacting, stat tracking in one spot. while your at it - having it integrated to GHIN would be great. golf in general is HORRIBLE when it comes to handicapping and accessibility. you find a commodore 64 tucked in the basement corner of your club to wait 34 minutes and enter your score. USGA - thanks for growing the game. NIKE - be smarter - integrate it...

I love everything that's being said here, Tai I agree completely with everything you said.

My thoughts

Woods I love the performance of them, they stand toe to toe with any OEM.

if Nike wants to appeal to larger market maybe tone the down the color and do limited release for us die hards. Great idea (Swany)

I am hoping for an amazing players iron that will knock my AP2's out of my bag once and for all. Maybe in a satin finish with simple swoosh branding.

The engage line I also agree, love the idea of a stock s400 shaft, maybe soften the look some, tighten up the grinds like everyone said above, above all else keep them raw!

The clothing:

Nike has crushed it this year on every front.

The MM fit is SUPERB

The days of extra long sleeves, 4 buttons and baggy shirts are gone and dam am I happy!

The modern washed pant is amazing!

The flexknit sweater and zip are literally perfect!

I can't begin to say enough about the clothing line.

Just amazing Nike!

The shoes yes again, great!

While I only have the LC4's and chukkas, both home runs, I will say the chukkas do slip a lil bit but it's expected IMO.

Love how they are merging the two sides causal and performance, again like said above.

Very excited for what 2017 and Nike golf club will bring.

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

Agree with the stuff said above. Modern washed pants and the Flexknit sweaters are awesome. I have a couple pieces there and will be getting many more.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Woods:

Tai, interesting you thought the Covert line was one of their worst. I actually thought the Covert 2.0 (driver) was better than the original Vapor. I tested the Vapor Pro for about 5-7 swings one day and I could immediately tell it wasn't going to knock my 2.0 Tour out of the bag. Something just felt off. I, admittedly, haven't tried the Vapor Fly line yet. I've been in the midst of purchasing a house and knowing full well I couldn't afford one, I've stayed away from even trying them. I didn't want the temptation.

I do agree that Nike needs to go back to a more "traditional" color if they want to expand their market share. I was working in golf retail just before the Vapor line came out and there were many good players who wouldn't even look at the Covert line simply because it was red. I can only imagine the same still holds true for the Vapor Fly and the blue. I truly believe that Nike's clubs can go toe-to-toe with any OEM out there, but if people won't even put it in their hands because they're put off by the way it looks, they've already lost. I'm not sure why Nike didn't release the "Blackout" driver as the original retail offering and then the blue later as a "limited" offering.

Regardless, I think Nike is taking steps in the right direction. Looking forward to 2017 when I can (hopefully) convince my wife it's time for a new set of clubs.

Yeah, honestly, thought the Covert line just wasn't good. I thought it was decent and playable, but compared to the other offerings that were out during the time it was released (SLDR, XHP/GBB, 913) it just didn't really stack up well. I know a few people on here love them, literally a few, but I almost never saw them out in play at any club invitational tournaments, or any serious amateur events, and even my buddy on staff hated them. One of the main issues I found was that the head and adapter were super heavy. You would need a counterbalanced shaft or something really tip stiff to get it to frequency within reason. Again, only my personal observations and definitely don't apply to everyone, but overall I'd say there's a solid sampling of golfers that I interact with.

I'm also just a consumer and enthusiast. I know a lot of Nike fans on this site work for Nike or are in retail and probably have more experience than I do with what is happening in stores or at fittings, my perspective is generally much different. Other than the Coverts, I 1000% agree with everything else you said. Luckily, even though I wasn't a fan of the Covert, I was a huge fan of the Vapor line. I actually have a tour issue Covert 1.0 from the Oven if you want it, it's yours :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Agree with the stuff said above. Modern washed pants and the Flexknit sweaters are awesome. I have a couple pieces there and will be getting many more.

If I could wear one piece of outerwear, it would be the flex knit. Light and it does it's job.

Need to snag more up when I see some good deals, hoping it hits my local Nike clearance soon.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

^Understand your black finish comment, but try the fly pro against your tmb. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

True story!

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Modern washed pants are so good I use them for work! I would like to see Nike customs take it up a notch!

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

At the risk of going slightly off topic, Pure's post got me thinking. In anticipation of a new line in 2017 (moving away from vapor), what has been the best line from Nike in recent memory?

My vote is with the VR Pro line. I've upgraded since. But still enjoy throwing my old pro combos in the bag. Hell, I have the ltd fairways in my bag right now!

-VR/VR Pro

-Sasquatch/Machspeed

-VRS

-Covert 1/2

-Vapor/Vapor Fly

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

True story!

great point as far a performance. now to a purist...there is no comparison looking down at the footprint of the irons. a blade like iron vs. cavity. i could hit the fly pro irons all day long in the long irons - i just hit them too far - much much further than the TMB. from my vapor pro 3 iron the comparable loft in the fly pro was two clubs longer. in my opinion there is no need to copy the look of the TMB - but some in that niche will gravitate to the TMB for the sizing. it is a great iron at the price point that fits the better player.