2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

15 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

"So, I read all the pages I've missed in my absence over the past few days, and still wonder why a new banner was added about religion and politics. Does anyone have a solid answer as to why this happened?"

Someone got butthurt over some jibes at the Nostradamus of weather. Pokes in good fun mixed in with praise for how he invented the info highway. That's nearest thing that could have been reported. 

Oh wow.  I truly did not even consider that possibility.  We’re now down to “ those names who shall not be mentioned “.  Goodness. My bad I guess.  

I’ll finish myself off and start some golf talk.  @Soloman1 if you would .  What have you seen from large handed guys as far as grip sizes ? I wear a XL cadet glove.   I know you willl see guys use all size grips . But have you seen anything stand out that works best ?

I bounce around.  I can play standard. But I also gain a wear spot on my glove that indicates the butt of the club is walking around. It’s a rub. Not a single spot.  It’s too small for me to clamp down on.  But. I “ feel “ like I have more feel with it at times.   I’ve also played a midsize plus 5 wraps for over a year ( last year).  And I’m very sure that the club isn’t moving.  And I can generate more overall power.  But they are large.  I’m at the point of going back large.  Toying with how large.  You’ve worked around Bryson some.  I believe I recall.  Did this ever come up ?  Thought  a rainy day was a goood time for the topic.  Maybe.    At your choice of course.  

pic or what my left hand  looks like on a standard size grip.  

IMG_1938.jpeg

• Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Oh wow.  I truly did not even consider that possibility.  We’re now down to “ those names who shall not be mentioned “.  Goodness. My bad I guess.  

I’ll finish myself off and start some golf talk.  @Soloman1 if you would .  What have you seen from large handed guys as far as grip sizes ? I wear a XL cadet glove.   I know you willl see guys use all size grips . But have you seen anything stand out that works best ?

I bounce around.  I can play standard. But I also gain a wear spot on my glove that indicates the butt of the club is walking around. It’s a rub. Not a single spot.  It’s too small for me to clamp down on.  But. I “ feel “ like I have more feel with it at times.   I’ve also played a midsize plus 5 wraps for over a year ( last year).  And I’m very sure that the club isn’t moving.  And I can generate more overall power.  But they are large.  I’m at the point of going back large.  Toying with how large.  You’ve worked around Bryson some.  I believe I recall.  Did this ever come up ?  Thought  a rainy day was a goood time for the topic.  Maybe.    At your choice of course.  

IMG_1938.jpeg

I also need an XL glove (not cadet bcs I’m looong baby! 😝) and recently went to midsize grips w/4 wraps. I like it much better and shoulda made the change years ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I also need an XL glove (not cadet bcs I’m looong baby! 😝) and recently went to midsize grips w/4 wraps. I like it much better and shoulda made the change years ago.

I like that the cadet is tight.  And for some reason my pro shop stocks them ( titleist ) and not the regular.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Oh lord, fire up the food talk on the Masters thread. Just to watch the implosion. 😀

Imma go back in there and ask “what’s everyone eating and drinking along with this fine coverage? Anyone got the fried chicken fired up? Or the smoker smoking?”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Say what ya will about Gary Player but dang ... that crazy old man can still move it. 

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P-Series 135

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

praise for how he invented the info highway

Yall are welcome. 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

In my downtime, I’ve been looking at a full bag of hybrid irons. My irons start at 6, but I hit the 3-5 hybrids SO much better and more confidently. Just has me thinking - why not 6-9, too? So I started shopping used sets thinking I’ll give them a try. But found a 6-PW set of G410s on eBay that my bid unexpectedly won at $195. The seller still hasn’t shipped them after 3 days and hasn’t responded to my messages, so my guess is that he didn’t get the price he expected to and doesn’t plan to ship. Once that issue is resolved, I’ll turn my attention back to hybrid sets.

There's a new brand called eleven that are supposed to be pretty good. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 minute ago, braincramp52 said:

There's a new brand called eleven that are supposed to be pretty good. 

Interesting that you mention that brand. I just learned of it recently on YouTube - gets lots of positive reviews but I also wonder how many of those channels were given the clubs to review. I wish they were U.S. based so that I could hit them. I can’t find a domestic retailer nor any used sets, but I haven’t tried too terribly hard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

I am no Obee, but my handicap fluctuates between 2-4, and has for the past 15 years or so and I have a 22*, 27*, and 31* hybrid in the bag and my irons start at a 36* 7i.  And while I qualify for the senior tournaments, my friends won't let me move up a box even though my cap would drop 2 strokes, so I just keep plugging away.  I like the hybrids they are so easy to hit and the misses are so much better than an iron.

As we age there is no reason on earth to not make the game easier, PT aside (that guy can just flat ball out with his low irons).  I support the move to hybrids and started the process at the ripe age of 53.

Not adverse to using hybrids.  They don't give me a case of the lefts.  Have had several in the bag over the years.  Various generations of Snake Eyes heads in varying lofts.  The 27* used yesterday is a S. E. Q4 head with a UST shaft.  Seemed to work fine, been quite awhile since I last used it.  Maybe 140'ish is the max expectation these days.  Had a 23* Ping G25 hybrid for awhile.  Didn't seem to hit it all that well for some reason, sure wasn't consistent with it.  

Have a set of max SGI Ping K15 irons in the basement (out-of-state brother's).  I've tried them, a rather extensive audition with them last fall.   While they were OK off good lies from distance (150), but no better than what I'm currently using.  They were more than a handful from tighter lies and closer (~100 yards and In) "finesse" shots.  Would require a whole lot of adaptation time to get use to bagging them.  Maybe never.  I've done the Ping thing before (i20's) and there was a tolerate/hate relationship the entire time.  More than a bit gun shy and skeptical about Pings these days.  

In general, seem be more confident wielding high lofted fairways.  Have bagged a 7 wood (~21*) forever, added a 24* V-Steel a few years back.  The most consistent club in the bag.  Not really chasing distance with any of them.  It's ease of use to send the ball, a yardage window, and a reasonably high trajectory so I stand a chance to hold a green.  The gap between the 24* fairway and 36* 8 iron would be the spread.  What I am adverse to is spending $$ for one.  And not finding anything that I could roll my own.  All I need is a head, can take care of the rest.  

When one reaches a young geezer age, becomes a matter of effectively advancing the ball by best means possible.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I just heard about Verne Lundquist’s retirement after the Masters.. I can remember as a kid, he was the local ABC affiliate’s sports anchor. He also did a show called Bowling for Dollars that aired right around the time I’d get home from school, so I watched it quite a bit (followed by the Three Stooges). I’ve been watching that guy most of my life.

• Like 2

As much as I've always loved a long iron ... I did recently make the move to a 24° hybrid to replace my 4 iron. I hate that I hit that thing so well! 

All the club building stuff I learned helped out with that a lot too - found a lightly used head only TSi2 for like $50 and then a lovely Diamana D+ 92g shaft for like $25 that had a Callaway adapter tip. Popped that sucker off, attached a Titleist tip and BOOM; >$100 premium shafted hybrid. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9520cs8e9uz5uqlghh8jkt

24 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

IMG_1938.jpeg

thank you for that question, senator. have you noticed that’s required now?

bison (don’t think we can say his name now) is anecdotal evidence that large grips don’t affect speed. i haven’t looked into it enough to support anything with data. it would be a tough road to get elite players to hang around and try different grips sizes on same spec clubs. so, just my opinion.

elite golfers grip the club with the upper hand very tightly. no one holds it like a bird. that’s been proven with data.

large grip sizes keeps ring and middle fingers from digging into the palm as much. there’s no benefit to digging into palm. holding the last three fingers tightly includes those two. digging in affects that.

a bias some people have with large grips is the face open at impact. elite players have more active wrist and forearms than hands trying to close the face anyway.

tape build up is for finer tuning. the only way to know is to get 3 different sizes without any wrap, and try it. go from smallest to large on say, a 7-iron, and give each a fair trial.

(i’ve gone from small full cords and hard grips to cp-2 mid. a little softer but like the feel of some resistance when holding it. so good, that i don’t wear a glove anymore. most are just fashion accessories now. 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

bison (don’t think we can say his name now) is anecdotal evidence that large grips don’t affect speed. i haven’t looked into it enough to support anything with data. it would be a tough road to get elite players to hang around and try different grips sizes on same spec clubs. so, just my opinion.

Don't use gloves but hands are decidedly medium,.Longest driver ever hit on course had OS cord w/ several wraps. On SW scale is like C7. R510TP. Hit on the screws it's freaking long.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

a bias some people have with large grips is the face open at impact.

I did the JumboMax test a couple years ago and yeah; that was my issue. My natural shape is a draw but my big miss - regardless - is when I get slow on my release and leave the face open. So those really seemed to exacerbate it. 

Really dug how they felt, though. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aenemated said:

As much as I've always loved a long iron ... I did recently make the move to a 24° hybrid to replace my 4 iron. I hate that I hit that thing so well! 

All the club building stuff I learned helped out with that a lot too - found a lightly used head only TSi2 for like $50 and then a lovely Diamana D+ 92g shaft for like $25 that had a Callaway adapter tip. Popped that sucker off, attached a Titleist tip and BOOM; >$100 premium shafted hybrid. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9520cs8e9uz5uqlghh8jkt

Man, you and I have too many similarities this morning! (Perhaps proof the world really is ending) Always been a long iron lover. (Pic below of my current 3i) Will be leaving the bag soon for a 19° TM hybrid. My son has one and it really does almost feel like cheating. So bit the bullet and ordered one. 

IMG_6170.jpeg

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

thank you for that question, senator. have you noticed that’s required now?

elite golfers grip the club with the upper hand very tightly. no one holds it like a bird. that’s been proven with data.

large grip sizes keeps ring and middle fingers from digging into the palm as much. there’s no benefit to digging into palm. holding the last three fingers tightly includes those two. digging in affects that.

a bias some people have with large grips is the face open at impact. elite players have more active wrist and forearms than hands trying to close the face anyway.

tape build up is for finer tuning. the only way to know is to get 3 different sizes without any wrap, and try it. go from smallest to large on say, a 7-iron, and give each a fair trial.

(i’ve gone from small full cords and hard grips to cp-2 mid. a little softer but like the feel of some resistance when holding it. so good, that i don’t wear a glove anymore. most are just fashion accessories now. 🙂 )

You’re probably correct.  I haven’t even considered that mentioning a players name who’s not on the tour anymore , is discussing things not allowed 🤦‍♂️.  I should have gone to the appropriate sub forum to @ you and ask this question. 🤣.  I’m sure they’d have loved that as well.   What It realky speaks more to is my lack of interest in posting it in the instruction forum, to have to wade through the circus it would immediately drum up.  

to the topic. I’d imagine it is impossible to know based on data , those guys don’t want to scramble about trying all that just for your amusement. 

the pictured grip above is definitely two fingers dug deep into my palm , no way the club is held tightly with that.  And I’ve always subscribed to just what you say , about tight grips. Which  is why a grip with too much squish also doesn’t work.  It will flex or twist in my hands. I’ll just have to try some again and see.  A midsized ndmc works if it has 4-5 wraps. And isn’t stretched out when you put it on.  I have a couple. Ill put one on my 7 or in and  check how it fits the hand and last 3 fingers.  Go from there.     Thanks for humoring me.  Maybe time for a break. Seems like everything I’ve said recently is against the banner. 😕

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Due to the arthritis in the hands I went to winn dritac 2.0 oversize and it has helped a lot. They have some squish to them but not so bad to notice during the swing.

I was a midsize z cord user for years and also wear a XL glove. But the hands just hurt too much using them (not from the texture). I tried a few more wraps of tape and that just seemed to make them feel harder.

• Like 3

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

I'm GP Tour Velvet 360 through the whole bag. I hate hate hate any sort of alignment nonsense on my grips. 

I can see the clubface just fine, thanks. You're not the boss of me, grips. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Hey @Duct Tape Did you see why Bernhard Langer isn’t in the Masters this year?! Thought of you 😂 

If that's a question the answer is he recently tore an Achilles tendon.  Waited 4 days before telling anyone it happened playing pickleball!  This year was going to be his last at the Masters, but now he'll make next year his last.

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I have small hands. Wear a cadet medium glove. I do have a JumboMax XS grip on my driver and I love it. My miss off the tee is a pull and that grip solved that problem. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

29 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Wear a cadet medium glove.

Same. I want it to be tight. 

Always found it funny seeing bros with poorly fitted gloves. Doggies out there wearing catchers mitts and all for some reason or another 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim53 said:

Due to the arthritis in the hands I went to winn dritac 2.0 oversize and it has helped a lot. They have some squish to them but not so bad to notice during the swing.

I was a midsize z cord user for years and also wear a XL glove. But the hands just hurt too much using them (not from the texture). I tried a few more wraps of tape and that just seemed to make them feel harder.

Yep. Ive been using z cords myself. And you’re right. The more you stretch them out. The harder they get.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, mshills said:

Imma go back in there and ask “what’s everyone eating and drinking along with this fine coverage? Anyone got the fried chicken fired up? Or the smoker smoking?”

I may get the small cooker going about Saturday since I am not playing the Saturday Shootout this week. Depends on where we eat. My wife wants to play the Par 3 and then go to a place called Dameron's for our lunch. If we go there for lunch we will be stuffed

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft