2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

48 minutes ago, mshills said:

Trying to root out whoever thinks they own The Masters thread “you can’t talk about food in here.” Lol ok man go ahead and sign up to be a mod then. 

No food?!  They would never fit into this more civilized, sometimes culinary-themed, thread.  Heathens!

• Haha 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I'm going to see what is - by all metrics - the most important band Saturday night ... 

A cute gal gave me a Bad Religion CD totally randomly after lunch in high school and it changed everything. For good or ill, I'm the weirdo I am because of that band.

Not the first time seeing them but the first time in a long time. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P-Series 135

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Oh man I was checkin the weather and these bastids found me!

🤣

IMG_2208.jpeg

What'd I tell yall? 

I AM THE INTERNET. 

robert-deniro-meet-the-fockers.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only Tom Waits cover that matters ...

... fine .. I'll be the bro sitting off the edge of the range judging harshly unless you're PT striping 2 irons off 😂😂😂

image.jpeg.893e0bddab6d38e4ec9b7a3fd6f84b89.jpeg

• Like 4

Well it is raining like heck here. I guess our league communications guy is up early. He already sent the E Mail saying the our course is closed and the League for today is cancelled

It is Masters Thursday and according to the weather gurus it is raining like heck down there too. Like I told @bladehunter over on the Masters thread I got not one but 2 tubs of Palmetto Pimento Cheese in the fridge calling my name. been in there since Monday. My wife (bless her) got me 2 tubs Monday scared they would sell out. Fixing to grill me up 2 or maybe 3 sandwiches in a minute

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

10 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I've only played 36 holes since last fall but man, my game sucks! No distance, irons suck to high heaven. Only thing half way decent is the putter. I might as well put the X-Forged back in the bag, they can't be any worse. Evidently hitting balls all winter in my garage was no help at all.

Practice and what happens on the actual golf course are two very different things for me.  Spent the whole winter hitting wiffle balls with 4 and 8 irons in the backyard (weather permitting).  I mean I'm striping these things until I'm thinking that I might be the second coming of Ben Hogan.  Never hardly touched a driver or any long club.  

So yesterday, I go out for my first official round of the year and guess what?  Iron play is absolutely hideous.   Couple of GIRs I do find, I'm way over in 3-putt land.  And meanwhile, the driver and fairway woods are beautiful.  So, WTF?   Single redeeming part of the day was that a couple of holes into the back nine I found three Jim Beam Apple minis in my bag.  Coincidentally, I finish the round par-par-birdie.  Only conclusion I can draw is that apparently, Jim Beam minis trump a winter's worth of practice.     

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, aenemated said:

I'm going to see what is - by all metrics - the most important band Saturday night ... 

A cute gal gave me a Bad Religion CD totally randomly after lunch in high school and it changed everything. For good or ill, I'm the weirdo I am because of that band.

Was going to post something clever (well at least to me) about “the most important band Saturday night”, which is a far cry from “the most important band”. 😀 

And then, against my better judgement, since my music tastes are mostly divergent from aen’s (except Townes and T Waits) I clicked on the link.   And like the song. Quite a lot.

😀🏌🏼‍♀️

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Well it is raining like heck here. I guess our league communications guy is up early. He already sent the E Mail saying the our course is closed and the League for today is cancelled

It is Masters Thursday and according to the weather gurus it is raining like heck down there too. Like I told @bladehunter over on the Masters thread I got not one but 2 tubs of Palmetto Pimento Cheese in the fridge calling my name. been in there since Monday. My wife (bless her) got me 2 tubs Monday scared they would sell out. Fixing to grill me up 2 or maybe 3 sandwiches in a minute

Oh lord, fire up the food talk on the Masters thread. Just to watch the implosion. 😀

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Empathize.  Take solace in the fact that it's early April.  If it was July and realizing the same results, that would be sucky.  Your game will come around.  One can hit balls off mats in the garage, or at a range, till the cows come home.  After a point, one begins to "groove" shots.  But doesn't seem to translate to hitting balls in the wild, from terra firma, out on a golf course. Much of what one has been "practicing" goes out the window.   At least that's my experience.  

Another year further on.  It's been on my mind what this one will bring.  How far will the ball fly?  For with each passing one, it seems to be incrementally less than the year before.  Seems as though I have to "step on it" to hit a drive 200+ yards.  Even when I make solid contact, with a good swing, ball flies out there.  And I extrapolate the distance, and conclude "only that far?".  And the D is one of my more reliable clubs in the bag.  Such as it is. 

Yesterday, irons were pitiful.  Can't recall hitting one notable iron shot.  Thins and fats, left and right.  No one was behind me, so I was dropping balls to repeat the shot.  After a point, becomes frustrating and chased the balls down and moved on.  Forget about trying a 6i from 150 anymore.  That's apparently now 24* 9w distance.  Had an old 27* hybrid along that I was hitting OK.  At least I flew the ball up in the air straight, ~140 yards.  Why do I need a 7 iron anymore?  Bag full of head covers and a couple irons?  Maybe.  It's still early season swings.  Nevertheless.  Causing me to ponder a bag revamp to current realities.   

Running out of tee boxes to move up to.  Some of the courses I play have senior tees, just as many do not.  Prior considered ~5800 yards just about right.  Now that can be a stretch.  IDK.  I don't have an ego when it comes to playing at golf.  I'm not close to being good enough to have one.  But not yet of a mind to play from the farthest forward (ladies tees) quite yet.  

Don't want this to sound like a whine, it's not.  Golf is not close to being worthy of getting geeked about.  The activity is extraordinarily difficult.  And one realizes improvement commensurate with the time spent in pursuit thereof.  Which in my case is little to none.  I'm accepting of my place in the hierarchy of things.   I just enjoy whacking it around, however frustrating or poorly it may be.  Allow me a few high quality shots as positive reinforcement, where it seems I know what I'm doing, and I'm good.  And the occasional skin funds coming out of the bud's pockets, rather than my own.  There's always the anticipation of the next time to look forward to.  

Went inside the clubhouse pub after and had a couple beers, yacking it up with some of the fellow hackers at the bar.  Forgot all about shizzly golf.  It was a good afternoon.  

Sounds like your game mirrors mine Fella. I hit 0 good irons yesterday. I'm about to go @Obee and add a 34° hybrid to go along with my other 3. I have a long way to go to start playing to the 5 handicap I played to last year in league. In fact from where I'm standing I can't even see it.😆

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

@Soloman1    Great news !  I just saw that the congresswoman from NASA’s home district ( Houston ) announced that we’re headed back to the moon 🌕 in a few years.  I think I split my spleen while watching the announcement….. maybe the funniest thing this century - so far.  Maybe I’ll get to experience it live , like it was the first time - ish….  And bring  the whole moon conversation from before full circle !  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

Sounds like your game mirrors mine Fella. I hit 0 good irons yesterday. I'm about to go @Obee and add a 34° hybrid to go along with my other 3. I have a long way to go to start playing to the 5 handicap I played to last year in league. In fact from where I'm standing I can't even see it.😆

I can relate. I haven’t hit a ball since January and haven’t played since around Christmas. Damn triceps/shoulder injury is taking forever to heal - the ol’ 1 step forward, 2 steps back kinda thing. My swing had slowed down enough before the injury and I can only imagine what it will be like if I have to favor my arm.

The Fall is my favorite golf season, but only because Spring is so short here. I sure hope I don’t miss the entire Spring season this year.

• Like 3

What did we do before YouTube? I installed a bidet attachment yesterday (game changer!) and the toilet seat came apart. Now you wouldn’t think a toilet seat/hinge would be all that complicated of a design, but for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out how to put it back together. Thank heavens for YouTube. I would never have figured that out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, I read all the pages I've missed in my absence over the past few days, and still wonder why a new banner was added about religion and politics. Does anyone have a solid answer as to why this happened?

• Like 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

add a 34° hybrid to go along with my other 3.

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Had an old 27* hybrid

I am no Obee, but my handicap fluctuates between 2-4, and has for the past 15 years or so and I have a 22*, 27*, and 31* hybrid in the bag and my irons start at a 36* 7i.  And while I qualify for the senior tournaments, my friends won't let me move up a box even though my cap would drop 2 strokes, so I just keep plugging away.  I like the hybrids they are so easy to hit and the misses are so much better than an iron.

As we age there is no reason on earth to not make the game easier, PT aside (that guy can just flat ball out with his low irons).  I support the move to hybrids and started the process at the ripe age of 53.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I like the hybrids they are so easy to hit and the misses are so much better than an iron.

In my downtime, I’ve been looking at a full bag of hybrid irons. My irons start at 6, but I hit the 3-5 hybrids SO much better and more confidently. Just has me thinking - why not 6-9, too? So I started shopping used sets thinking I’ll give them a try. But found a 6-PW set of G410s on eBay that my bid unexpectedly won at $195. The seller still hasn’t shipped them after 3 days and hasn’t responded to my messages, so my guess is that he didn’t get the price he expected to and doesn’t plan to ship. Once that issue is resolved, I’ll turn my attention back to hybrid sets.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nitram said:

So, I read all the pages I've missed in my absence over the past few days, and still wonder why a new banner was added about religion and politics. Does anyone have a solid answer as to why this happened?

floyd was sitting outside his barber shop. when barney fife walked by, floyd reported to him he heard a rumor from aunt bee that goober had jaywalked.

barney got all excited, hopped in the car and went code 3 to goobers shop. barney got carried away and pulled out his revolver and finally dug his bullet out from his top pocket.

andy was in mt. pilot so he couldn’t calm barney down.

(can’t say why or we’ll get dinged again)

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

@Soloman1    Great news !  I just saw that the congresswoman from NASA’s home district ( Houston ) announced that we’re headed back to the moon 🌕 in a few years.  I think I split my spleen while watching the announcement….. maybe the funniest thing this century - so far.  Maybe I’ll get to experience it live , like it was the first time - ish….  And bring  the whole moon conversation from before full circle !  

been quite a week

first eclipse ever and going to the moon for the first time.

• Haha 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

18 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

been quite a week

first eclipse ever and going to the moon for the first time.

Man.  I couldn’t have said it better myself. What a time to be alive. 🤣

• Haha 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 hours ago, aenemated said:

It’s no wonder ur also a big Social D fan. They have always reminded me of Bad Religion. Both are just simply iconic in the scene. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nitram said:

Nope.  Especially religion.  It hasn’t been mentioned at all that I can see.  .  I half way expect a “ no golf swing/strategy talk “ to be added next.  🤣.  

better edit that down half way to stay alive.  🤨

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, nitram said:

My guess. WRX brass don’t like the grille and lounge dominating the 19th hole sub. Neither counts for post count and one of ‘em is run like someone’s personal website within a website for free to the “owner”/guy that runs it. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Again, just a guess.

• Like 2