2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

thank you for that question, senator. have you noticed that’s required now?

bison (don’t think we can say his name now) is anecdotal evidence that large grips don’t affect speed. i haven’t looked into it enough to support anything with data. it would be a tough road to get elite players to hang around and try different grips sizes on same spec clubs. so, just my opinion.

elite golfers grip the club with the upper hand very tightly. no one holds it like a bird. that’s been proven with data.

large grip sizes keeps ring and middle fingers from digging into the palm as much. there’s no benefit to digging into palm. holding the last three fingers tightly includes those two. digging in affects that.

a bias some people have with large grips is the face open at impact. elite players have more active wrist and forearms than hands trying to close the face anyway.

tape build up is for finer tuning. the only way to know is to get 3 different sizes without any wrap, and try it. go from smallest to large on say, a 7-iron, and give each a fair trial.

(i’ve gone from small full cords and hard grips to cp-2 mid. a little softer but like the feel of some resistance when holding it. so good, that i don’t wear a glove anymore. most are just fashion accessories now. 🙂 )

I am one of those you mentioned that manipulates the club in my hands

As far as grips I use Lamkin Crossline full cords standard size. Even though I wear a XXL glove I hold the club more in my fingers.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Nope.  Especially religion.  It hasn’t been mentioned at all that I can see.  .  I half way expect a “ no golf swing/strategy talk “ to be added next.  🤣.  

better edit that down half way to stay alive.  🤨

You reckon it is because of where I post that I run the sound board at????

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

My guess. WRX brass don’t like the grille and lounge dominating the 19th hole sub. Neither counts for post count and one of ‘em is run like someone’s personal website within a website for free to the “owner”/guy that runs it. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Again, just a guess.

I have dubbed our friend " Little Napoleon." I have noticed lately @Conrad1953 and @scotee have not posted much along with some of our older members

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I have dubbed our friend " Little Napoleon." I have noticed lately @Conrad1953 and @scotee have not posted much along with some of our older members

Don't know about Scott but @Conrad1953 is probably out tearing up courses with his new Callaways!😆

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

56 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

saw a sign of the times driving yesterday.

applebee’s type copy restaurant had a big sign hanging from the roof above the door.

new!

early bird specials

starting at $17.95

i’m not sure they understand the early bird demographic, or i’m the one out of touch.

🙂

No. You’re dead on.  My father in law just went on a rant about the all star breakfast at Waffle House.  It was $6.50 in 2016 or so. It’s now $13.99 plus tax I think.  As he says “ plus tip”. So $14.99 🤣… $17.95 ain’t happening!  Unless he and his gal pal split one special.  🤦‍♂️

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

saw a sign of the times driving yesterday.

applebee’s type copy restaurant had a big sign hanging from the roof above the door.

new!

early bird specials

starting at $17.95

i’m not sure they understand the early bird demographic, or i’m the one out of touch.

🙂

When I first moved to Vegas in 2002 and was living in Summerlin; the fabulous Suncoast had a 99 cent breakfast deal after midnight.

I learned to play Pai Gow because I know I could sit and not lose money for a good 2 or 3 hours if done properly ... and get free booze because I was playing. Then I'd go eat that 99 cent breakfast. 

That was my hustle for a solid year. Get good and loaded for a couple bucks. Thanks, Suncoast! 

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P-Series 135

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Hey @Duct Tape Did you see why Bernhard Langer isn’t in the Masters this year?! Thought of you 😂 

Achilles TS.  He must have been playing pickleball to prepare.        

Edit:   So I read a little farther along and see this was a lucky guess!  🤓😀🏸🏸

I’m going to be a big man here TS and not say I told you so………..   

Bummer for Bernhard. Didn’t know and I like him a lot. He’s Mrs DT’s favorite player. She drove him around as part of hospitality team during one tourney. Said he was just a fantastic guy.  Did not say same thing about Greg N.  

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

one of the best places i’ve eaten at was a seafood distributor in hampton, va that served lunch every day.

they covered all the desks from 11 to 1 with newspaper. there was a long, cheap, rickey old table in a room with fold up chairs. the door from that room led right to the dock.

one end of the room had the “kitchen.” they brought chesapeake crabs in from the boats, dumped them into steaming pots, and made all kinds of crabmeat delights. crab burgers were the hotest item.

at that table, you’d find an air force general sitting next to guy who filled pot holes, next to a city council member next to a plumber.

who you are has no bearing when it comes to good food. good conversations and good food. people are polite when you’re chowing down on food you all enjoy.

Washed down with Nat Bo beer.    Fond memories of similar places. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

I see the Grille faithful are starting to trickle back in after a long day on the Masters thread 😀

I  just stopped posting there after a little bit bcs I find I don’t follow the tournament when I’m interacting w/that nonsense. This is a tournament I actually wanna watch! 

*hot takes on how bad someone’s outfit looks and other complaints also gets old really fast. And that seems like a good % of the content there.

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I  just stopped posting there after a little bit bcs I find I don’t follow the tournament when I’m interacting w/that nonsense. This is a tournament I actually wanna watch! 

*hot takes on how bad someone’s outfit looks and other complaints also gets old really fast. And that seems like a good % of the content there.

I need to exit that thread, it’s too tempting to just tweak people. 😂 I guess that makes me a troll. No good, I’ll just stay in here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

It really is a strange world outside of here. That much anger should be reserved for us old farts.😁

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

8 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

one of the best places i’ve eaten at was a seafood distributor in hampton, va that served lunch every day.

they covered all the desks from 11 to 1 with newspaper. there was a long, cheap, rickey old table in a room with fold up chairs. the door from that room led right to the dock.

one end of the room had the “kitchen.” they brought chesapeake crabs in from the boats, dumped them into steaming pots, and made all kinds of crabmeat delights. crab burgers were the hotest item.

at that table, you’d find an air force general sitting next to guy who filled pot holes, next to a city council member next to a plumber.

who you are has no bearing when it comes to good food. good conversations and good food. people are polite when you’re chowing down on food you all enjoy.

Can not recall the name but I did eat there in my Navy days. Or at least it sounds like the same place. I was stationed out of Norfolk on and off

8 hours ago, TiScape said:

Well with the partial rainout and late start versus a total rainout it was not as interesting. We did not get much BBQ talk in and get Greggy stirred up. But I was glad the tournament went on even late and enjoyed watching as usual

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

IDK Stu, speculating no.  You've mentioned in passing your sound board functions a number of times before (couple years?).  Long before the admonishments were affixed to the thread title.  Scomac has mentioned he sings in his choir before.  Not like it's preachin'.  Endeavors pursued.  But who knows what's up around here lately.  Transgressions are a guessing game.

Thread postings can go off the rails in other neighborhoods of WRX'ville (400 pages arguing about a stupid golf ball) and it's business as usual.  

I have mentioned it from time to time ever since I have been on WRX. I have been running sound in those venues for some 16 years now. 

17 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Oh wow.  I truly did not even consider that possibility.  We’re now down to “ those names who shall not be mentioned “.  Goodness. My bad I guess.  

I’ll finish myself off and start some golf talk.  @Soloman1 if you would .  What have you seen from large handed guys as far as grip sizes ? I wear a XL cadet glove.   I know you willl see guys use all size grips . But have you seen anything stand out that works best ?

I bounce around.  I can play standard. But I also gain a wear spot on my glove that indicates the butt of the club is walking around. It’s a rub. Not a single spot.  It’s too small for me to clamp down on.  But. I “ feel “ like I have more feel with it at times.   I’ve also played a midsize plus 5 wraps for over a year ( last year).  And I’m very sure that the club isn’t moving.  And I can generate more overall power.  But they are large.  I’m at the point of going back large.  Toying with how large.  You’ve worked around Bryson some.  I believe I recall.  Did this ever come up ?  Thought  a rainy day was a goood time for the topic.  Maybe.    At your choice of course.  

pic or what my left hand  looks like on a standard size grip.  

IMG_1938.jpeg

Love golf talk. Just recently with through this myself. I wear a Cadet M/L Footjoy Stasof. Tried on every glove on Earth and that’s what fits the best. For years I played standard grips with 1 wrap because that was “standard”. Never thought about it. Always death gripped the club in a bad way and had wear spots in the palm of a new glove after about 50 swings. Never knew why. Recently a good buddy of mine noticed my death grip and looked and my hands. He wears a cadet medium and he uses standard +3 wraps. He points out I’m white knuckling it and my fingers are digging into my palm pad worse than yours. So then the experimenting begins with wraps, sizes, brands. Easiest thing was just go midsize with 1 wrap. Night and day difference. Full control of the club with a nice firm grip. And best of all, even using by beloved Z cords, zero wear spots in my glove. I was always concerned with the old wives tales of grip size and shot shape, but it took about 10 swings to realize I made the right move. 

Some more Friday morning golf talk if you may. I’m asking the adults in the Grille. Figure I absolutely get much better answers and discussion here. So the same buddy from my grip size story is a +2 and club champ last 4 of 5 years. He has been really helping me a lot with the undoubtedly weakest link in my game which is putting. (I know, huge surprise). Anyway, he swears by using a line on the ball for 2 reasons. One, it’s a free alignment to make sure you’re aimed at your start line. Two, proof you hit a good putt so you can see the line roll end over end. I agree with both of his points. 

I have been trying to make this work for almost a year and I think I am just about to give up and start looking at nothing but white on the golf ball. When I look at the white, I make a better stroke. No conscious thought involved. When I use a line, path gets wonky. For some reason staring at that line at address makes me do extra special things. Almost like I am trying to “hit” the line and it’s making me steer the putter. Plus I sit there and fiddle with the alignment to make sure it’s perfect. Too much time sometimes. 

Long winded I know, but my question to you guys is who uses it and who doesn’t and most importantly, why? Is this just something that takes thousands and thousands of reps to get used to? Or is it as simple as it works for some but not for all?

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-9 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Well with the partial rainout and late start versus a total rainout it was not as interesting. We did not get much BBQ talk in and get Greggy stirred up. But I was glad the tournament went on even late and enjoyed watching as usual

Instead there is someone who also ‘runs a company’ and can’t use 5 words when 500 will do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Man I don’t know. If so that’s pretty petty.  

Whatever it is, it’s beyond petty. I’ve been on this board since about a year after it started…my account got hacked once and I had to start a new account. The only time I’ve ever hit the snitch button was in response to straight up racism, and I’m happy to say that’s like two times in the entire time I’ve been here. 

I did get a time out once but that’s different. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

@iceman1118 my recommendation is use the line on the ball in structured practice sessions. It is one of the best ways to validate flush contact. I don’t use it on the course — setup is too tedious and I don’t want something else to think about during play. 

• Like 4

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”