2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

11 hours ago, aenemated said:

When I first moved to Vegas in 2002 and was living in Summerlin; the fabulous Suncoast had a 99 cent breakfast deal after midnight.

I learned to play Pai Gow because I know I could sit and not lose money for a good 2 or 3 hours if done properly ... and get free booze because I was playing. Then I'd go eat that 99 cent breakfast. 

That was my hustle for a solid year. Get good and loaded for a couple bucks. Thanks, Suncoast! 

That's Livin'!!😁

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, iceman1118 said:

Love golf talk. Just recently with through this myself. I wear a Cadet M/L Footjoy Stasof. Tried on every glove on Earth and that’s what fits the best. For years I played standard grips with 1 wrap because that was “standard”. Never thought about it. Always death gripped the club in a bad way and had wear spots in the palm of a new glove after about 50 swings. Never knew why. Recently a good buddy of mine noticed my death grip and looked and my hands. He wears a cadet medium and he uses standard +3 wraps. He points out I’m white knuckling it and my fingers are digging into my palm pad worse than yours. So then the experimenting begins with wraps, sizes, brands. Easiest thing was just go midsize with 1 wrap. Night and day difference. Full control of the club with a nice firm grip. And best of all, even using by beloved Z cords, zero wear spots in my glove. I was always concerned with the old wives tales of grip size and shot shape, but it took about 10 swings to realize I made the right move. 

Some more Friday morning golf talk if you may. I’m asking the adults in the Grille. Figure I absolutely get much better answers and discussion here. So the same buddy from my grip size story is a +2 and club champ last 4 of 5 years. He has been really helping me a lot with the undoubtedly weakest link in my game which is putting. (I know, huge surprise). Anyway, he swears by using a line on the ball for 2 reasons. One, it’s a free alignment to make sure you’re aimed at your start line. Two, proof you hit a good putt so you can see the line roll end over end. I agree with both of his points. 

I have been trying to make this work for almost a year and I think I am just about to give up and start looking at nothing but white on the golf ball. When I look at the white, I make a better stroke. No conscious thought involved. When I use a line, path gets wonky. For some reason staring at that line at address makes me do extra special things. Almost like I am trying to “hit” the line and it’s making me steer the putter. Plus I sit there and fiddle with the alignment to make sure it’s perfect. Too much time sometimes. 

Long winded I know, but my question to you guys is who uses it and who doesn’t and most importantly, why? Is this just something that takes thousands and thousands of reps to get used to? Or is it as simple as it works for some but not for all?

The only place I use the line on the golf ball is off the tee. I've never felt comfortable using it putting. It makes me think too much about the alignment rather than the speed.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

You need some balls to wear a shirt like Jason Day's at a place like the Masters.🤣

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

45 minutes ago, mshills said:

Whatever it is, it’s beyond petty. I’ve been on this board since about a year after it started…my account got hacked once and I had to start a new account. The only time I’ve ever hit the snitch button was in response to straight up racism, and I’m happy to say that’s like two times in the entire time I’ve been here. 

I did get a time out once but that’s different. 😂

Yep.  Same.  Only once.  And it was for a wellness check on someone talking out of their mind.  I think some folks use that and the block daily.  I’ve never understood that . I can ignore who I want to.  I generally just don’t want to 🤣

• Haha 3

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

The only place I use the line on the golf ball is off the tee. I've never felt comfortable using it putting. It makes me think too much about the alignment rather than the speed.

Absolutely agree. Like I said I focus too much on "hit the line" vs roll the putt with the proper speed. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-9 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya had to see wrx back in late 2000s. It was like a steel cage match 🤣

During Open week, insults mocking culture and ancestry were virtually hurled across the Atlantic!

I was suspended for questioning the civility of a country that lauded bull fighting 🤣

And when Thanksgiving 2009 went down, it was like they removed all the cage bars in a zoo! Suspensions goo out like candy on Halloween!

I was a lurker back then. I remember it well. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

Long winded I know, but my question to you guys is who uses it and who doesn’t and most importantly, why? Is this just something that takes thousands and thousands of reps to get used to? Or is it as simple as it works for some but not for all?

I tried it and it failed miserably. I find it's way more important to see square of putter in both face angle & path. Face on setup, path on toe line. Once I settle in, path of toe & shaft angle are visuals and hands tuned into speed & face control. 

• Like 2

Confess to the occasional drive-by to some of the aforementioned threads.  Out of curiosity on what the chatter is all  about.  Always logged out, circulating undetected.  After a minute of browsing, I ask myself...."Why am I perusing this shizzle?"  And leave.  Not capable of summoning up enough brain power, early in the morning, to create pithy content.  NTM, Fella don't enter the fray.  Have not stuck a toe into the Master's thread.  At this point, making it a personal resolution not to.  I can catch the drift hanging at the bar here.  

However.  See the all to familiar avatar show up on my screen, that's reflex action clickbait.  Gotta find out what 'da man is promulgating.  Often...nothing noteworthy..  But sometimes...Oh my, ain't that rich.  Bingo!  Kinda weird, huh?

No lines for me.  Don't want to fuss with lining up to my misread putt line.  Thereby standing a chance of making the putt when stroking the ball offline.  Although I suspect that I'm not reading the grain because I always putt with my shades on.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

20 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I tried it and it failed miserably. I find it's way more important to see square of putter in both face angle & path. Face on setup, path on toe line. Once I settle in, path of toe & shaft angle are visuals and hands tuned into speed & face control. 

I think hands are so important in putting. Regardless of the type of putter you use. Pretty sure that’s why I have had exactly zero success with oversize putter grips. 

• Like 3

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

25 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

No lines for me.  Don't want to fuss with lining up to my misread putt line.  Thereby standing a chance of making the putt when stroking the ball offline.  Although I suspect that I'm not reading the grain because I always putt with my shades on.  

I think this is a big one for me. I’m a competent green reader and generally have a good sense of what’s going to happen with a putt. But the second I use the line, I am now completely committed to that line on a predetermined speed. I suspect it robs me of a lot of my feel and athletic ability to hit a good putt. 

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

15 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

if we were all scarecrows, we’d probably putt better. darn brain gets in the way.

i believe in simplicity starting when you take your stance. the thinking part is reading the break and elevation, then deciding on the start line. the start line depends on the speed, so that’s still in the thinking bucket.

good putters use a line on the ball, the line already on the ball, or even the logo.

after that, i prefer getting out of the thinking bucket and align the face or line(s) square to the start line. once that’s done, you’re done

the only thing left is the feel, the intuition of speed. that’s it. your vision goes blurry about about alignment.

poor putters second guess the line or read while over the ball. don’t trust your eyes, that’s why you used a line.

poor putters take too long of a backstroke. good putters are shorter.

most people over read right to left breaks and under read left to right breaks. but that was back in the thinking bucket.

poor putters don’t adjust for speed when the putt has a fair amount of break. ball travels along a longer path.

if you can make free throws, throw darts, throw a beer can in the trash without thinking, you can hit the putt close to the speed you want.

you aren’t going to make ‘em all. speed is all feel. you don’t think feel, you feel feel.

Funny, basically everything you said is what my buddy who wants me to use the line says. For the record, I’m not against it. It’s just hard for me to trust it. I don’t know why. But dear lord when I see that line roll end over end into the back of the cup, it’s more magical to me than sticking a wedge to 2 feet. Don’t know why. It’s just a pure feel. 

I do genuinely enjoy putting. I like to practice it as well. Maybe I just need to spend way more time lining up during my practice and trusting my reads. 

I really want to make it work. But for some reason there’s that mental block. Probably need to work more on the go blurry aspect before the stroke starts. 

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

I am a line guy.

Started using it on a practice putting mat to assess the contact.  Then I thought I would take it to the course.

For me, and this is after 15 years of doing it, I don't think I could go back.  I have a dominant eye that makes me want to change the putting line when I stand over it.  With the line I only have to worry about the speed of the putt.

The one thing that threw me when I first started doing it was this.  The line made me think contact and roll, not making the putt.  It took a while to forget that stuff and just hit the putt.

For more putting tips, just ask Petethreeputt...

EDIT, when I joined WRX I was in putting Hades.  It is a strength of my game now.  Weird how things can change.

Edited by Petethreeput
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I am a line guy.

Started using it on a practice putting mat to assess the contact.  Then I thought I would take it to the course.

For me, and this is after 15 years of doing it, I don't think I could go back.  I have a dominant eye that makes me want to change the putting line when I stand over it.  With the line I only have to worry about the speed of the putt.

The one thing that threw me when I first started doing it was this.  The line made me think contact and roll, not making the putt.  It took a while to forget that stuff and just hit the putt.

For more putting tips, just ask Petethreeputt...

Exactly what I said earlier, seeing the line on the ball makes me want to hit the line. Then speed is a mess and strike is compromised. 

Which eye is your dominant eye? I’m a righty and heavily right eye dominant. Took me a very long time to understand how aim and alignment works, driver all the way to putter. 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

1 minute ago, iceman1118 said:

Exactly what I said earlier, seeing the line on the ball makes me want to hit the line. Then speed is a mess and strike is compromised. 

Which eye is your dominant eye? I’m a righty and heavily right eye dominant. Took me a very long time to understand how aim and alignment works, driver all the way to putter. 

Left eye dominant so I would want to putt to the left.  I have changed to LHL, the ball is in front of the stance, and then I just slap it with hopefully no thought about contact or perfect roll.

Sheffler actually said this week (or so) he didn't use a line because he was unable to disassociate a line with mechanical thoughts on the perfect roll.  And he is pretty danged good at golf, so everyone is different, that's for sure.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

Left eye dominant so I would want to putt to the left.  I have changed to LHL, the ball is in front of the stance, and then I just slap it with hopefully no thought about contact or perfect roll.

Sheffler actually said this week (or so) he didn't use a line because he was unable to disassociate a line with mechanical thoughts on the perfect roll.  And he is pretty danged good at golf, so everyone is different, that's for sure.

I'm doing what Scottie is doing. 🤣

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72