Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

6 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

My oldest son and I were seriously discussing an October golf trip to San Diego and Torrey Pines was the feature course.  Just checked their website and the week we were planning?  South course closed for scalping/aeration/sanding. 

Every. Damn. Year.

It's why I've never played Torrey. It's the kinda spot that'd be a birthday trip+round and my birthday's in - you guessed it - October. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

5 hours ago, nitram said:

A sincere congrats on the Hole in One Stu!

Still awaiting mine . . .

You and me both.  But I put one about 20 inches behind the hole on a 140 yard one this morning.  It just hit and stuck. If the dang thing had come back at all ,gravity would have  gave it a strong chance.  

but I played good.  Or let’s say better 🤣.  Shot even par.  6 birdies.  Who does that ?  Mostly blame it on the one swing on 3. Resulted in a double.   Hit a wedge long into a pond.  Just took off.  I’d like to say the lie got me. But it was from the fairway.  And I just hit it 3 yards too far ( back pin , water close over the back ).  

putting like a bandit.  I mean like I don’t know anybody better.  Anything I miss is on the mark.   Just mis read.      But it’s been consistent for 5/6 months now.  Just now seeing ballstriking coming back around to match. . Maybe one day I’ll see that hole in one 🤣.  But I’ll settle for getting my scores back down where they should be.  

• Like 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Congratulations on the HIO with your Mashie Niblick. The old clubs still work.

It has been a long day. It was Sturgeon Point Golf Clubs 125th anniversary celebration and eight of us introduced 24 people to playing golf with hickory clubs. The nine hole course was founded in 1899 and is community owned and has a great family atmosphere. It was a 2 hour 45 minute drive each way but well worth the effort. I had 16 sets of clubs in the Prius and all got used. All of the newbies appreciated the chance to play clubs that their early members would have used. All enjoyed the day and were pleasantly surprised that the clubs are still playable and fun. We have been asked to consider making it an annual event.

I need to get some sleep, tee time is around 10am. My commute is a lot shorter than todays as the first tee is only a Mashie Niblick from my door.

Sounds like fun for me. I am hoping to get something going for a Hickory league around here. With the Par3 guys it has some interest better than when I tried to get some classic golf with persimmon and blades going around here. At one time we had like 3 or 4 guys playing persimmon and blades. One kid who I think was going to CCU played a mix of Persimmon and blades with Hickory clubs thrown in. He graduated and moved on to other things besides golf. The other guy moved back up North somewhere. My bud Little Bear passed away like 3 years ago now. There was some interest in the Charleston SC area a few years back and Bear and myself played a event down there. Ran into some hats who were absolute jerks. After it was given the OK by the rules director and staff I was allowed to put with a reproduction Ironmaster with the green graphite and steel shaft. We led the team thing after the first day and Bear was leading the individual. The second day two guys were raising sand about my putter. So I went to the car and got my 50s Ironmaster. Then they were raiding sand about me using a claw grip. We said screw it and left. Even though the director called me we never went back. Of course I had my accident in 2020 and Bear passed in early 2022.

Yesterday afternoon I was rummaging in the shop and finally found the Wilson JW punched faced SW. I had never messed with it. Nice wedge but I was disappointed it is not Hickory but Pyratone. I checked the loft and it is 55* but heavy. I may play it anyhow because we are informal and no one in our loose bunch gives two rips

I do not think any of my Hickory guys are able to play next week so I decided to do a change up to semi modern and a 2 club challenge. I regripped an old Cleveland CG-10 54* SW and drug out and regripped one of my old modified Ping Anser putters with the slot or floating face. For me it is an extended way of trying different clubs and challenges. I am only playing the spin off small money game Monday Wednesday and Friday this week. I may put together a Vintage "play set" and play vintage by myself Tuesday or Thursday afternoon. I have regripped one of my Izette drivers and 4 woods I am dying to try. Since some interest has spiked in the classics section on Ginty Woods I have a Ginty 7 I may throw in for kicks and giggles. Now I am semi serious on the League and associated groups but not so much as not to have fun. Since my body is cooperating now I am having fun again with the vintage stuff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

16 hours ago, aenemated said:

Over the last two years of punk rock drums and significantly cutting back the booze - I'm down about 25lbs too. I've always eaten pretty well - I don't really eat any processed food or fast food or sweets, I don't snack, I don't really drink any calorie-laden beverages (I do enjoy a Diet Coke but other than that, it's coffee or water). This is why I can eat generally considered "fattening" foods and it be ok - and I have a sort of mental understanding of how many calories I consume. Unless we've gone to some extravagant dinner, it stays in the 2000-2500/day range. 

Also with the new pup; I'm walking him almost 3 miles a day, every day. 

Got a drawer with about ~$1000 worth of Greyson pants/shorts that don't fit anymore 😂 When I bought my SDR shorts, went back to the waist size I wore in high school! 

Remember I have been around musicians some and I know first hand how hard drummers work. I have seen your videos and know how hard you play.

Like you I do not do soft drinks and have cut back on my coffee since I am retired. I use local honey to sweeten my coffee and use powdered milk not creamers. If I am at the course or out in a restaurant I drink it black. As a Southern born and bred boy and you can relate I love Sweet Ice Tea but I have quit it as hard as it was for me. I do have a glass every now and then. Right now I have cut down my calories most days to the 1500 1700 range with of course some protein. Yesterday we played Golf early walking at the little Par3. I had 2 Oat and Honey bars along with coffee for breakfast. I did do a bar at the turn with a water. We got done about noon. Ended up at the Moose Club. Now I did have 2 grilled Hot Dogs with Chili and FF. I felt I earned that. It was the first Hot Dogs I had had in a month. The guy at the Moose does them Eastern NC style as in split on the grille and the buns buttered and toasted with home made Chili. I came home and did not sit on my fat Francis I worked in the shop some. I had a salad for the evening meal and I use only Olive Oil and Organic vinegar on that. I had stopped on the way in yesterday at a local fruit stand and had gotten 2 local cantaloupes and a local small melon. That is breakfast this morning along with maybe a hamburger patty or bacon cooked in the oven in a drip pan (no excessive grease).

Since I resigned my Sunday gig 2 weeks ago I may hit balls early or work in the shop or yard then in by 11 to watch services on TV with my wife. Since resigning that gig I feel like a 10 LB weight has been lifted off my chest. I do know I am not stressing any more. I am sure with you being a musician you can relate

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

Although I do play in the odd more serious hickory event, most of what we do is emphasize the fun factor. Even on Hickory Friday, we have friends playing along with modern or classic clubs, no one gets their shirt in a knot. I know you would enjoy the atmosphere and our group comes from diverse backgrounds.

It is relatively easy to set up hickory events as there is a fair amount of curiosity and interest. Classic on the other hand is really not on the radar and it is a shame. As such, we just play it for the sheer enjoyment and don’t try and force it.

@BIG STU, you and I are a little different than the mainstream golf community. Our curiosity and willingness to try out everything is what makes us who we are. Fortunately for me, I have several friends of the same persuasion, although I seem to be at the extreme end of the spectrum (an understatement). Our fellow members actually for the most part find our quirkiness refreshing and it makes for great conversations on the patio.

I still have not decided which clubs to play in our Sunday morning group. It will be a last minute decision.

The guys in my league are not really gear heads except the one guy who works at PGA SS. He has never tried to force like new stuff on me. He worked with me one day with my M-6 driver. It was fine with the Even flow Senior shaft until I gained strength and flexibility. He told me to either change shafts or get rid of the thing. I did the latter and got the Callaway in my signature. When the Q series of TM drivers came out I was stoked because to me they looked at address like my beloved V-Steels. I went to his store and compared the old Cally to 3 different heads and like 4 shafts. He told me basically to keep my money in my pocket and the Cally in my bag.

Yeah one looks at the front line stuff in my signature that is my every day play stuff. The newest things in there are the Cally driver which is 11 years old now and the Vokey wedge which is 10 years old now. I did get the Vokey 2 years ago brand new still in plastic from a friend of mine who was a Titleist Staffer.

I do need to change the signature because I did an add on last week. I pulled the 4 iron out because I can still hit it but do not use it much. I put in a Cobra Baffler 29* "5" hybrid with a senior flex Aldila shaft. I had bought it a year ago cheap like for $10 because I reasoned I may need it in the future. I had honestly forgotten about it and ran up on it in my cluttered shop looking for all things that Wilson JW punch faced wedge. I had never hit it. Now the stock grip was a little undersized so I put one of my Crossline Cords on it and built it up with 2 extra wraps of tape because I know me and hybrids as in hook city. Man I hit it good. Put it in the bag this week and for me it has been dependable as an old small block Chevy. Good club for me from like 135 to 145. If one is into "gaps" as far as distance it fits well after the 7 and 9 woods. I had also added my old dependable V-Steel 3 wood back in. I am healthy enough to swing it again.

LOL I guess it looks funny to some mainstreamers 5 headcovers with blade irons. I still carry and hit the 5 iron too. Of course I only carry 3 wedges. Of course in my league no one pays attention anyhow not that I care because I do my own thing

• Like 2

On 6/8/2024 at 12:34 AM, BIG STU said:

I have a lever action .45/.70 they do not call those Buffalo Guns for nothing. I keep it maintained but have not actually shot it in 25 years. I keep all my ammo in real Military surplus ammo boxes.

I can remember my first trucking trip really up North. I had to pull a portable generator for a hospital in Anchorage Alaska. Had to run the Al Can highway. Those old timer truckers told me never to blow the air horns at a Moose especially in mating season. They will charge a moving truck in a heartbeat. I have seen pictures of such an encounter and it ain't pretty

Which did the most damage? The moose or the truck?

• Like 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The hand grenade blows up the bear so you can get your arm back?

Naaw there would be collateral damage to the arm from the grenade I would think. Never saw any used when I was in the Navy but saw some being used in practice at Camp Hoffman NC. That is on the back side of Ft Bragg and is a Special Forces training camp. I was delivering a Russian truck captured in Desert Storm for them to blow up. One unit was doing training throwing grenades at old vehicles. The Captain I was dealing with allowed me to watch I might add from a great distance using field glasses. It was awesome to say the least.

Footnote-- The Captain allowed me to take the VIN plate off the Russian truck since they were blowing it up anyhow. It is of course all in Russian and I still have it. No problem hit the rivets like 3 times with a chisel and hammer

• Like 2