Evnroll Putters-- Amazing!!!

Likely just camera angles and resolution differences. I've hit these and seen in person... Grooves are same on toe and heel ends.

If the grooves are the same on both ends of the milling into the face, then how does that not infringe on PING's TR groove patent?

I thought the whole selling point to Rife's EVNROLL was that the grooves were asymmetrical?

- Josh

Rumour is that evnroll had the patent before Ping, and that Ping had to adjust their grooves. I read this here on WRX, so it must be true?

In the other EVNROLL thread, member Ryan5508 (post 63) wrote the following:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1300360-evnroll-putters/page__hl__%20evnroll__st__60

"The ketsch grooves really are no different then any flat milled face putter. They are uniform all the way across like a flat milled putter. the difference is they start the ball rolling faster vs the ball skidding. Making them easier to be more consistent with.

The grooves being wider on the evnrolls outsides towards the toe and heel make up for loss of power on the off center hits. it gives more contact area to the ball. Higher moi leads to more consistent distances."

Both Ping and EVNROLL grooves have a similar goal of "consistency of roll" off of the face. The other "benefit (or marketing slant)" of EVNROLL grooves are for consistency of off-center hits as well.

These putters are not magic, though I will take the slight "forgiveness" of off-center hits. With this being my first expensive putter, I am taking putting practicing more serious and hope to wrangle in my putts (last year was full of disaster and I hope to lower my putts per round).

YMMV

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Likely just camera angles and resolution differences. I've hit these and seen in person... Grooves are same on toe and heel ends.

If the grooves are the same on both ends of the milling into the face, then how does that not infringe on PING's TR groove patent?

I thought the whole selling point to Rife's EVNROLL was that the grooves were asymmetrical?

- Josh

I've got a Ping putter with TR grooves, and they don't have the exact same pattern as the ER6. I obviously don't have the Ping patent (or the EVNROLL) in front of me but I don't think Ping gets sole use of "asymmetrical grooves" on the face. That'd be like giving Tesla a patent to be the only car company to produce electric vehicles. They likely patented the exact groove shape and potentially any special milling process.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but TR grooves are asymmetric about milling depth along the face, while EVNROLL grooves are asymmetric about width.

Just got back from a fitting at Evnroll's office. It's a small office, looks like they're still kind of moving in. But they've got a real nice artificial surface laid down about 20' long.

Started the morning rolling some putts with various models, each time comparing against my own Ping iAnser. Travis had me putting on a rolling board, which is like a piece of velvet that shows the rolling of your putts. Nifty little device that shows where its rolling, where's its hopping and the line of the putt. Notice that my Ping putter had significant amount of loft, and I couldn't get it to roll consistently at all. It would be hopping for a good 18" or so before settling down to a roll.

One nice thing about getting fitted there was he was able to show that my putter was far too upright. I was consistently putting with the toe in the air. He made some adjustments to their demo putter to try out. Settled on an ER2 model, setup with a 65° lie angle, 33" length and 1.5° of loft.

I did manage to snap a couple photos of their new ER8 model, which is a beauty. Would have considered it if they had some in stock. Apparently this was the only one they had, and was still only a display.

Very happy with the feeling of the putters, they're slightly counter weighted with a 30g weight in the handle. They switched grip manufacturers away from Winn. The new grips aren't round with a flat spot. They have a pronounced spine down the back which I didn't like.

Looking forward to striking some putts soon!

Almost forgot, they had a couple K-Sig balls there for putting with as well.

^^^ New putter grip on the bottom/lowest putter in the picture. Looks intriguing with the flat front in the low hand.

For those that complain about the noise of the ER5, I have a few observations. Yes, it is shaped like a tuning fork. With this, it will create some "different" sounds/vibrations.

The best sound/feel that comes off of this putter is when you a) use a premium soft golf ball (ProV1, Chrome Soft, etc.) and b) hit the sweet spot of the face. A proper set-up and stroke will result in a traditional feel and sound. I appreciate the feedback, and the roll off of the face is exceptional.

Well I have the ER6 Mallet and it makes some really weird noises. Almost feels like a screw is loose. It doesn't happen a lot and seems kind of random - the putts I hit when it makes the sound/vibration are just as likely but no more likely to be good putts. Now that you have me paying attention to it, I'll likely report back. It's nothing I can't stand and I am still liking the putter which is why I haven't paid that much attention to it.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Getting sick of reading this putter is better than that putter, blah, blah, blah. There just isn't much going on with a putter, it's a hunk of metal on the end of a shaft being stroked at very minimal speed (grooves, no grooves, doesn't matter). It comes down to the person utilizing the putter and more importantly his/her green reading abilities (or lack thereof). Just look at the best putters in the world and the variety of tools they've made work. All that said, I'm totally about the hunt for the magic blade via trial and error, just don't buy into the hype these companies are pedaling.

You will find what you are looking for.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Yesterday I bought the ER5 at 34". Had a long detailed fitting and that beat my existing putter and others on a Quintic Roll test. I had it bent from 71 to 69 to suit me and I tweaked the loft to 4 degrees for an average 1.3 launch.

The numbers were amazing. A lot of blues(great) and greens(good). The best aspects were it being so anti twist and the forward roll.

Very costly, but the finish and quality can be seen and felt in hands. The balance for me felt, so right.

Not convinced about the grip, so I have ordered a 59g Winn jumbo lite. Kept the 30g counterweight once the stock 54g grip was off.

I will report on how I fair with it.

PS: I blacked out the white alignment line to match up to the sharpie line I put on my ball.9686ad39a8e035bb93e56e5546aa5812.jpgbdaef4fc646bf89b8f1ceee03de9a747.jpg2583f64f3af74581d3ff05b1d6b5a45c.jpg34fbe4eafac206f0cdef3383995b1339.jpga89aa754ecea35e430dd15e1e7a327a3.jpgd43b4fe2a4f2441bc8a830ff9c8524de.jpge2f40eb6a73041cc87666edbb0ba6bd6.jpg

Stupid winter not letting me test this!

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I happened to be in Carlsbad visiting Legoland (I know, I know) and decided to stop by the Evnroll office to get fitted. I set up an appointment with Travis and as has been highlighted in the review above, the office is in a pretty non-descript office space. Travis asked me if I had a preference and I wanted to try them all out (Except the Er6, didnt really care for that). Hit some putts with ER2, 34"and it felt solid. Had the putts starting on the right line and based on what Travis saw on the velvet board, didnt need a loft adjustment. He wanted to bend the lie a little flat and once he did it was much better. I asked him if he bent it 1-2*, he smirked and said it was closer to 4 :) but for my stroke it is perfect. The interesting thing he mentioned is that my flattening the lie, the putter is a bit more face balanced.

I got the putter shipped and have played around 3 rounds with it. I love the putter but a few things. It is not a "magic" putter, you still need to put a good stroke on it. When hit on the sweet spot, it is really soft and when hit towards the toe (my usual miss) it tends to be a bit harsher. I have made a few putts but dont know if there is a noticable difference in made putts- I think overall it will help in the long term to the tune of 1-2 putts per round is my guess.

The only negative with the putter is the grip. They have changed the grip to a pentagon shaped one with a flat front and a ridged back. I prefer the winn grip. In case anyone has a spare Winn grip from the previous versions let me know :)

I happened to be in Carlsbad visiting Legoland (I know, I know) and decided to stop by the Evnroll office to get fitted. I set up an appointment with Travis and as has been highlighted in the review above, the office is in a pretty non-descript office space. Travis asked me if I had a preference and I wanted to try them all out (Except the Er6, didnt really care for that). Hit some putts with ER2, 34"and it felt solid. Had the putts starting on the right line and based on what Travis saw on the velvet board, didnt need a loft adjustment. He wanted to bend the lie a little flat and once he did it was much better. I asked him if he bent it 1-2*, he smirked and said it was closer to 4 :) but for my stroke it is perfect. The interesting thing he mentioned is that my flattening the lie, the putter is a bit more face balanced.

I got the putter shipped and have played around 3 rounds with it. I love the putter but a few things. It is not a "magic" putter, you still need to put a good stroke on it. When hit on the sweet spot, it is really soft and when hit towards the toe (my usual miss) it tends to be a bit harsher. I have made a few putts but dont know if there is a noticable difference in made putts- I think overall it will help in the long term to the tune of 1-2 putts per round is my guess.

The only negative with the putter is the grip. They have changed the grip to a pentagon shaped one with a flat front and a ridged back. I prefer the winn grip. In case anyone has a spare Winn grip from the previous versions let me know :)

Do they charge any extra for the fitting? Im considering one, but and hope to be in the area in a few months. If the cost is the same, I might just wait till I can get out there.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Can someone explain how to use the 2 dots on the top? I am not entirely sure I get it...

Use of the two dots for allignment can be broken into two sections:

1) When setting up in your stance, you want to have the white alignment line to appear in the center of the two dots. This is helping to make sure your putter is flat on the ground at address. If the line is closer to one of the dots, then you have the toe or heel off of the ground. (Personally, I may need to get the lie of my putter adjusted if I continue to struggle with the center allignment.)

2) On lag putts, you can purposefully aim the allignment and one of the dots to help promote the lag that you need for a breaking putt. Per the EVNROLL site:

"The dots also assist the golfer on aligning breaking putts. Align the ball in front of the toe-side dot for right-to-left putts and the heel-side dot for left-to-right putts. This keeps the ball travelling on the high side of the target line."

Rec'd my ER2 on Sat, 3 days before the tracking arrival date of Tues. So excited. Not excited for the 10 inches of snow that fell later that afternoon. Needless to say, will only be rolling this on the carpet for the next few weeks.

First impression was a great one, the look and finish of the putterhead are even better than I had anticipated. I has expected the head to appear shorter from heel to toe but was very pleasantly surprised that it looked almost as long as a Newport 2. Balance of the entire club is remarkable (duh, it's counterbalanced). The grip felt larger than I had been expecting so based on MikekiM's comment above, didn't waste any time and called their Carlsbad office this morning and was able to order me one of those Winn grips (and corresponding counterweights) they still have kicking around as that will be a bit slimmer. It sounds like they might only have a couple of them left after my order.....just sayin' (thanks MikekiM for the heads up!).

Now just have to wait for the snow to melt....

I'm confused as to why the milled grooves on the face look different in certain pictures...

In the picture above by carn9698, you can clearly see that the grooves on the face are larger toward the heel side of the putter and taper down moving toward the toe.

But in the pics below the grooves look completely symmetrical...

- Josh

Sorry for the late reply. Yes the grooves look wrong on the shaft side of my putter, but I can assure you in real life that they are not. It must be an optical illusion or a camera angle/resolution issue as 1 of the other posters mentioned. If I get chance I will take and submit another pic from a different angle.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

i may have missed a previous comment....but have any of the Evnroll putters been seen on tour yet. just curious if any of the players have made the switch whether its web.com, european, or pga.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

i may have missed a previous comment....but have any of the Evnroll putters been seen on tour yet. just curious if any of the players have made the switch whether its web.com, european, or pga.

Ross McGowan - European

Also read somewhere an LPGA player using one. I will try and find the source.

Edit:

LPGA - Caroline Headwall (per forum user "Golfcat" post 18)

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1300360-evnroll-putters/page__p__13553644__hl__+evnroll,%20+lpga#entry13553644

Any long time mallet users have results with the ER6? I spent about 30 minutes rolling them today... I can't settle on the 33" or the 34" and the single line or the 3 lines.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Any long time mallet users have results with the ER6? I spent about 30 minutes rolling them today... I can't settle on the 33" or the 34" and the single line or the 3 lines.

My only "results" were in store so I can't comment on course. I plan on buying one once the lefty version comes out but I do find the 3 line version to line up better for me. However, I am used to it, seeing as my current mallet is the TR Ketsch mallet.

One thing though is somehow this putter just felt "smoother" to me than most mallets, other than Odyssey which is almost too soft for my liking. It was a nice mixture of soft, yet still enough feedback. My Ping is a bit firm and if you don't pure it, you definitely know.

My only "results" were in store so I can't comment on course. I plan on buying one once the lefty version comes out but I do find the 3 line version to line up better for me. However, I am used to it, seeing as my current mallet is the TR Ketsch mallet.

One thing though is somehow this putter just felt "smoother" to me than most mallets, other than Odyssey which is almost too soft for my liking. It was a nice mixture of soft, yet still enough feedback. My Ping is a bit firm and if you don't pure it, you definitely know.

Thanks for responding. I know exactly what you mean in terms of feel. I also am torn on the weight difference between the different lengths. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of it, but per the Evnroll website, each length has a different head weight.

35" - 355 grams

34" - 370 grams

33" - 385 grams

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"