Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't bother or surprise me that Nike is backing away from golf. Years ago when I first heard that Nike was going to make clubs I thought it was strange. What the heck does Nike know about golf anyway? I never bought any of their clubs and I don't recall ever buying or even hitting a Nike ball. Nike was first a shoe company. Lets not forget that.

So yeah, I'm fine with them leaving the game. I don't think they ever really should have been in the game in the first place.

They knew Tiger was going to be a huge cash cow, unprecedented really. They had to get in the equipment business. With Tiger being out, no one close to his commercial success in their stable, the golf equipment business hurting, and misreading the golf market (thought that the untapped market was younger and hipper golfers), they couldn't get over those barriers. But this was the right move even though it sucks to say. Golf equipment is down, rounds are only up because of the warm winter, and you just can't have so much volatility.

This basically confirms my feelings about Nike Golf. They were in it for the money: not because of a love for the game.It could be argued that they never really cared about golf in the first place. Their concern was exploiting the cash cow.

Well, no kidding. You think Titleist is in this for the love of the game? Ping? Callaway?

Of course Titleist, Ping and Callaway are in it to turn a profit, but they won't sell stuff like this no matter how much it would net them.

Tiger is going to represent Rock Bottom Golf and will play with whatever clubs they can't sell to help clear out their inventory.

I would pay good many to see a couple pro's play tournaments with mixed bags they get from the clearance rack at whatever golf store they go to in the area of the course. That would be amazing.

"Now stepping up to the tee, Rory Mcllroy, Sporting a brand new Callaway X-Hot N415 Driver, that he picked up from the local golf store this morning. Let's see what he can do...."

Well at least Rory can finally go back to Titleist and start playing some golf!

Ping G425 Max Driver 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch 6.5 60g

Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75g 6.5
Ping G425 Hybrid 19* Project X Even Flow Blue 85g 6.0
Ping i210 4-PW DG 120 X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue S400  
Ping Heppler Fetch 33" Superstroke Tour 2.0
Titleist Pro V1x 

Doesn't bother or surprise me that Nike is backing away from golf. Years ago when I first heard that Nike was going to make clubs I thought it was strange. What the heck does Nike know about golf anyway? I never bought any of their clubs and I don't recall ever buying or even hitting a Nike ball. Nike was first a shoe company. Lets not forget that.

So yeah, I'm fine with them leaving the game. I don't think they ever really should have been in the game in the first place.

They knew Tiger was going to be a huge cash cow, unprecedented really. They had to get in the equipment business. With Tiger being out, no one close to his commercial success in their stable, the golf equipment business hurting, and misreading the golf market (thought that the untapped market was younger and hipper golfers), they couldn't get over those barriers. But this was the right move even though it sucks to say. Golf equipment is down, rounds are only up because of the warm winter, and you just can't have so much volatility.

This basically confirms my feelings about Nike Golf. They were in it for the money: not because of a love for the game.It could be argued that they never really cared about golf in the first place. Their concern was exploiting the cash cow.

Well, no kidding. You think Titleist is in this for the love of the game? Ping? Callaway?

Of course Titleist, Ping and Callaway are in it to turn a profit, but they won't sell stuff like this no matter how much it would net them.

Those aren't Nike Golf products.

Lots of questions come into my head.

Does anyone think this may have an effect on the whole retail industry side of Golf?

Is the fact Nike were paying tens of millions of dollars to 2 guys in particular, one of which has been out of the game for so long, had a direct effect on their decision? Did Nike over estimate the sales influence those guys would have on their products?

With rumours abound of the likes of DJ, Day, Sergio being offloaded from TM, are the OEM's realising that the amount they're paying their top Pros simply not a good investment, because the amount of Clubs they would have to sell to recoup is now virtually impossible to achieve?

And therefore, will contracts be not so financially extravagant in future? And even possibly mean there may be more Pros seeking contracts than there are lucrative contracts available? So driving down the amount the OEM's will pay their Pros' in future?

I know.....too many questions........thinking too much.........I need to get out more! :cheesy:

Hardly surprising. Designing, testing and producing golf equipment costs money. What's the point in doing that when you can get a 9 year old sweatshop worker the the far east to knock out a shirt for next to nothing?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Charl Schwartzel

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

It's my understanding that if you really love the game, and I mean really love it, Titleist and Ping will offer you free clubs to reward you for having the purest of souls.

Adidas getting rid of Taylormade, Nike getting out, less people playing and courses closing down, it's not looking good.

Actually, number of rounds played in the US has increased the last year and a half. And TM experienced sales growth earlier this year compared to last. These paint an even darker picture of the situation with Nike Golf.

Does anyone think this may have an effect on the whole retail industry side of Golf?

Is the fact Nike were paying tens of millions of dollars to 2 guys in particular, one of which has been out of the game for so long, had a direct effect on their decision? Did Nike over estimate the sales influence those guys would have on their products?

With rumours abound of the likes of DJ, Day, Sergio being offloaded from TM, are the OEM's realising that the amount they're paying their top Pros simply not a good investment, because the amount of Clubs they would have to sell to recoup is now virtually impossible to achieve?

And therefore, will contracts be not so financially extravagant in future? And even possibly mean there may be more Pros seeking contracts than there are lucrative contracts available? So driving down the amount the OEM's will pay their Pros' in future?

I know.....too many questions........thinking too much.........I need to get out more! :cheesy:

So assuming that this scenario has some merit and OEM's stop paying players to play their equipment, do all the players go back to playing.................Mizuno

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Work in a golf store part time for fun and Nike's drivers, fairways and hybrids went on sale last Friday. Idiots were snatching up stuff just because it was on sale without even hitting them. Told the GM something was going on. He told me no, just making way for new stuff. Told him new stuff generally comes out at the PGA Merchandise show in January.

Haven't sold a Nike stick since Rory won the PGA. Of course it was to a few young guys who thought the driver was actually magic and they wanted to hit 300 yard drives. Had to of been the driver and not the player, right?

yes,yes,yes,yes,yes & yes :dntknw:

Dare I speculate without reading all of the 24 pages before just to see if somebody wrote something similar before?

Could it be that Tiger will retire and Nike know it so that they cannot hope for a sales boost upon his return?

Could it also be that Rory expressed much displeasure with certain parts of the equipment (like ball and putter) and tried to negotiate himself out of the contract and even threatened to breach it if necessary (would not be the first time in his career)?

Could it be that because of both circumstances (and terrible sales figures) they have contemplated this move for some time and Rory also knew about this and wanted to change putter or ball straight away, but they threatened such legal action that he complied and that this is one of the reasons why he seems so uninterested and unmotivated this year (except for his own home Open, which he really, really wanted to win)?

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Beyond not making money in equipment, this move seems like it could really boost Nike's ability to get top names on apparel deals. I'm sure there are a lot more players who would be happy to take Nike's money on an apparel deal as long as they can play someone else's clubs...

Great point.

Not that great. Titleist, Cobra, TM all are/are owned by MAJOR clothing and shoe brands too, namely Footjoy, Puma and a little company called Adidas. I'm pretty sure they will not roll over and let their players wear Nike while sponsoring their hardware. An equipment deal usually involves, (besides clubs/bag) shoes, clothes and preferably also the ball. Sure, if Tiger and Rory were to go to Ping, Mizuno or maybe Callaway they could continue to wear Nike. Or maybe TourEdge, ha ha

So I guess the current Nike staffers will keep wearing Nike clothing/shoes, but switch to other equipment. Will be interesting to see what happens there, and whether some players want to depart from Nike completely.

Good news for Rory I think.

This scenario sounds less likely if Nike players would want to go with Titleist/Footjoy, TM (still with Adidas after all), or Cobra/Puma. Since they are major clothing/shoes companies in their own right.

So assuming that this scenario has some merit and OEM's stop paying players to play their equipment, do all the players go back to playing.................Mizuno

Lol. Possibly! Seriously though, I never inferred or stated that they would stop paying players, just that the contracts may not be so extravagant. But for the purposes of the joke, you made it well. :taunt:

So I guess the current Nike staffers will keep wearing Nike clothing/shoes, but switch to other equipment. Will be interesting to see what happens there, and whether some players want to depart from Nike completely.

Good news for Rory I think.

This scenario sounds less likely if Nike players would want to go with Titleist/Footjoy, TM (still with Adidas after all), or Cobra/Puma. Since they are major clothing/shoes companies in their own right.

I can think of two options for Nike:

Lets it's players "partner" with a brand without a strong apparel presence (PXG, Mizzy, Ping) and agree to somehow allow their branding on a Nike polo or hat.

OR

Nike simply lets everyone but Rory and Tiger explore other options for deals, make Rory and Tiger agree that their bag sponsor cannot be a company that has any apparel.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

What to do with both my rors putters?

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

Right. That will instantly vault him back on top. :swoon:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

he couldn't putt with a hippos butt

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B