2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Original Nike blades were among the very best looking irons ever...put 2-W in the bag even before TW...eventually went back to the Hogan Personals but gave the VR Pro Combos an abbreviated run, as well...I'm probably part of the problem only buying new irons every 7 years - only to put them aside for a set from the early 1980s

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PXG has to keep prices high for no other reason that if you lower prices, people think you are just lying about how high-tec they are. The high price makes most people ask, "These must be better." It's a great marketing technique.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

We should've seen it coming when they released this years hats with just the swoosh on them!

Witch I like!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

cobra puma? this is a brand who should of went out of business a long time ago. Ricky there biggest professional has really been in the scene in how long the first tournament in dubai? should of taken a year off like tiger

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. These companies aren't losing money with golf equipment. We just live in a stock market economy that doesn't allow for corporations to grow at "only 4%" per year like Nike golf equipment was.

It really makes no sense at all if you think about it. It's making money, consistent money, but because it's not increasing enough each year, it's considered a failure. But having something like golf club sales increase every year is just a fantasy that will never happen.

You can make money, but unless the number of players grow each year, it's ridiculous to think that you can continue to gain in profits each year. It's just as ridiculous to think that each Taylormade driver will increase your drives by 10-15 yards.

But this is the stock market economy that we live in now. Corporations get penalized if they don't continually grow, cut costs, and squeeze out every dime possible. This is a great example of the problem. It will continue to happen as long as we look at the stock market and use it to judge how well our economy is going.

Nike Golf lost 8% last year. Pretty sure they lost money then because they weren't making 8% profit. They were also Nike's worst performing sector.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

No release of any of the new black and orange clubs or new pc's this fall either. Someone should share with us what they looked like and the technology who saw it at the Oven so we can have nightmares in our nightmares of what could have been..

Nike should release the PCs as one final edition. It will sell out in minutes. But they probably don't give a crap anymore. Here is to what could have been THE sickest iron I've ever seen in my life.

did you get a chance to see at the oven? at lease give some details to what could of been?

Need to know so I can properly mourn tonight.. ?

And yes, I'd jump all over a limited run of PC's as a final goodbye

No release of any of the new black and orange clubs or new pc's this fall either. Someone should share with us what they looked like and the technology who saw it at the Oven so we can have nightmares in our nightmares of what could have been..

Nike should release the PCs as one final edition. It will sell out in minutes. But they probably don't give a crap anymore. Here is to what could have been THE sickest iron I've ever seen in my life.

did you get a chance to see at the oven? at lease give some details to what could of been?

Need to know so I can properly mourn tonight.. And yes, I'd jump all over a limited run of PC's as a final goodbye

When the dust settles...

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

PXG has to keep prices high for no other reason that if you lower prices, people think you are just lying about how high-tec they are. The high price makes most people ask, "These must be better." It's a great marketing technique.

It's the battery pricing model. Nobody buys cheap batteries because the price infers lesser quality.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

If I learned anything from the last few years it was this.

The guys that cared and actually knew what needed to be done were all in Texas.

While me and you agree on things often. This one I do not. Problem is the people in Texas didn't put out product the masses liked. Wouldn't say it's all the folks in Oregons fault.

The oven is where the golf products were developed and tested. From beginning to store shelves. It didn't work. They just didn't produce what the masses wanted or what they'd be interested in. Therefore the oven died.

You're right. We usually agree. Something big like this usually means there is plenty of blame to go around; but let's examine the body while it's still warm.

1. The Oven has some incredibly unique ideas; flex loft, cavity back driver, method tech

2. The Oven doesn't decide to control costs with cheaper materials

• RORS was 304 and not 303 Stainless? WTH
  • SQ Tour was BetaTi - never to be seen again

3. The Oven doesn't decide to paint a driver blue

4. The Oven doesn't decide to limit fitting carts to awful and expensive shaft options

5. The Oven doesn't put together the custom clubs; so they can't be blamed for 2-4 week waits in the middle of summer.

6. The Oven doesn't sign big names and decide to show them working out in their commercials.

7. The Oven doesn't decide that golf is shrinking

8. The Oven doesn't decide what makes a club profitable enough

I bought some Nike golf shoes once, man they were garbage.

And thats an insult to garbage.

That was my first and last impression of Nike golf.

Just garbage.

The clubs looked like they were made of that plastic metal that they made the buttons you change the stations on in the cheap stereos in like a 79 Dodge Dart.

I think I will buy some of those red shirts and stockpile them. Prolly sell them on ebay in like 30 years.

Your strange haikus grinding an axe against Nike come off like a poetic jilted ex-girlfriend.

And I've never owned a Nike golf club.

Strange *and* poetic jilted ex?

Thanks, Irish.

Im like the Cyrano de Nikerac of golfduwrx.

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. These companies aren't losing money with golf equipment. We just live in a stock market economy that doesn't allow for corporations to grow at "only 4%" per year like Nike golf equipment was.

It really makes no sense at all if you think about it. It's making money, consistent money, but because it's not increasing enough each year, it's considered a failure. But having something like golf club sales increase every year is just a fantasy that will never happen.

You can make money, but unless the number of players grow each year, it's ridiculous to think that you can continue to gain in profits each year. It's just as ridiculous to think that each Taylormade driver will increase your drives by 10-15 yards.

But this is the stock market economy that we live in now. Corporations get penalized if they don't continually grow, cut costs, and squeeze out every dime possible. This is a great example of the problem. It will continue to happen as long as we look at the stock market and use it to judge how well our economy is going.

Nike Golf lost 8% last year. Pretty sure they lost money then because they weren't making 8% profit. They were also Nike's worst performing sector.

Sales dropped 8% last year, but they were still making a profit.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

From Mizuno Twitter

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Rory goes Wilson Staff and Tiger starts his own company. He buys the Nike oven and hires some of their people, I can see it now....."Hello, I'm Tiger woods..I want you to buy my driver...it's called the Tiger-wood."

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Why does it matter if they make any money? There are plenty of golf companies that don't make any money.

Phil Knight is into making investments that pay off not in drilling dry holes. Tiger paid off I'm sure. Rory and the rest not so much, so now he'd rather make shoe and apparel deals with other players and walk away from the losing equipment business.

Beyond not making money in equipment, this move seems like it could really boost Nike's ability to get top names on apparel deals. I'm sure there are a lot more players who would be happy to take Nike's money on an apparel deal as long as they can play someone else's clubs...

Why? Nike's golf apparel is boring and overpriced and their shirt collars roll like nobody's.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Based on the conversation here I'm guessing most people disagree with me, but Nike's marketing is what did them in. As evidenced by the many old grouches here weirdly happy to see a company fail, Nike never really fully got into many golfer's minds. They were seen as cool by many younger players, but there aren't enough younger players spending huge money on clubs.

Just part of the reason I still think Tiger will get a good deal somewhere. He himself may not move hard goods, but I don't believe he wouldn't massively help a company that already has good standing among most golfers with good marketing.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

I don't play Nike golf gear, but a good buddy of mine works there (worked there) and he got his pink slip today.

The human capital impact will be very sad.

There are also the folks who work at the Clubhouse in Beaverton who lost their jobs in addition to the folks at the Oven.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Reading the Nike 2017 thread... everyone who was so sure about next clubs, rumors about orange being the new accent color, saying how the Vapor Fly discounting was genius...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1338928-nike-2017/

:pimp:

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

This is as I call it a Jordan speith effect. His deal with under armour and titleist had escalators. He got base for playing titleist then if he won 2 majors it went up. Then under armour did his 10 year deal on clothes and shoes and now titleist has to pay under armour to have titleist on his bag.

Oh! And rumor is that under armour owns his bag. That's why titleist has to pay under armour to have titleist on it. I could see how this would be good for other companies. Let the apparel companies pay them for apparel have the club companies pay for using clubs but get a kick back.

He doesn't have Titleist on his bag. AT&T is the only logo on his bag now.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

One thing in this thread that people are completely misguided on is the profitability of Nike in golf. It's not that NIke was losing money, it's a margin issue. Or return on investment. They were making money but very little. So why spend $20 mil to make $22 mil when you can use that $20 mil to make $45 mil? Just using sample numbers

I don't play Nike golf gear, but a good buddy of mine works there (worked there) and he got his pink slip today.

The human capital impact will be very sad.

There are also the folks who work at the Clubhouse in Beaverton who lost their jobs in addition to the folks at the Oven.

Sad day for sure
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1310218-joes-self-sponsored-nike-bag-2016/#entry13270786"]WITB:[/url]
[size=2][color=#0000ff]Vapor Fly[/color] Driver[/size]
[size=2][color=#ff0000]VR Pro 3[/color] Fairway[/size]
[size=2][color=#ff0000]VR Pro 5 [/color][/size][size=2]Fairway[/size]
[size=2][color=#0000ff]Vapor Fly 7 [/color][/size][size=2]Fairway[/size]
[size=2][color=#0000cd]Vapor Fly 4 [/color]Hybrid[/size]
[size=2][color=#ff0000]VRs [/color]5-9 Irons[/size]
[size=2]Engage 54, 60 Square[/size]
[color=#0000cd][size=2]Method Origin RORS B2-01[/size][/color]
[size=2][color=#0000ff]RZN[/color] White[/size]

Reading the Nike 2017 thread... everyone who was so sure about next clubs, rumors about orange being the new accent color, saying how the Vapor Fly discounting was genius...

These weren't rumors. The clubs are in production. They could launch but will be scrapped now. And orange was the new color.

This is as I call it a Jordan speith effect. His deal with under armour and titleist had escalators. He got base for playing titleist then if he won 2 majors it went up. Then under armour did his 10 year deal on clothes and shoes and now titleist has to pay under armour to have titleist on his bag.

Oh! And rumor is that under armour owns his bag. That's why titleist has to pay under armour to have titleist on it. I could see how this would be good for other companies. Let the apparel companies pay them for apparel have the club companies pay for using clubs but get a kick back.

+1

PING G430 10K MAX 10.5° - GD Tour AD DI 6x

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 3HL 15.5° - GD Tour AD DI 7x

TAYLORMADE P-DHY 3 iron 19°- GD Tour AD DI 95x

PXG 0317-X 21° - GD Tour AD DI 95x

MIZUNO Pro 225 5-PW - Project X 6.0
TAYLORMADE MG3 46° (@48°) & TW-Grind 56°/60° - DG Tour Issue S400
PUTTERS (in rotation) Scotty SuperSelect Newport+ , Odyssey 11 2-ball, TaylorMade Spider Tour X
SRIXON Z Star Diamond

GOLF PRIDE Tour Velvet cord

These weren't rumors. The clubs are in production. They could launch but will be scrapped now. And orange was the new color.

Hyper orange. More of a red. Black crown.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Sales dropped 8% last year, but they were still making a profit.

How do you know?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I did notice that after you said. Apologies on that.