Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Reading the Nike 2017 thread... everyone who was so sure about next clubs, rumors about orange being the new accent color, saying how the Vapor Fly discounting was genius...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1338928-nike-2017/

:pimp:

These weren't rumors. The clubs are in production. They could launch but will be scrapped now. And orange was the new color.

Maybe Nike will donate them to North Korea!

Kim Jong Il only needs 2 sticks glued together to shoot a 38

The way most people think on here, Nike clubs are 2 sticks glued together :sarcasm:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally hated the last two releases purely based on the hideous color schemes . I guess I'm more of a purest and

never liked the Chartreuse and Blue. I was just at the range and a guy was taking the stickers off a new Nike driver he snagged at Dick's

for 149.00 bucks... Retailers are dumping Nike as fast as they can so you folks that own it your clubs are worth pennies on the dollar so hang onto

them if they work for you.

Not a big fan of the blue either on the driver but what the heck it flat out works. Personally I have never understood not trying a club because of the color. Shape of an iron not appealing I get-but the color? The irons you cannot see the volt at address anyway so who the heck cares?

Hang on tho them should be good advice for anyone that has a club that works for them. But this is wrx so we switch anyway lol. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

My wife works for a high end North American retailer. She did tons of business with Nike and would visit the HQ twice a year to vet product.

One thing we've discussed is the Nike brand and what it stands for. Most people know when they buy Nike (blank), they are buying the best quality, most advanced, best performing equipment.

The truth is, the amount of R&D that Nike puts into their products goes above and beyond what anyone can even imagine. They will not put something out unless they think and have tried to prove that it is the absolute best product on the market.

I'm not totally sure how that played out or had played out with respect to their golf equipment, but make no mistake the amount of money they poured into this division is absolutely mind boggling, and I'm not sure the public will ever fully know the extent of it.

The only thing they will ever really be remembered for is that shot of Tiger's ball on #16 at Augusta. Greatest non scripted marketing shot of all time in sports. Other than that they will be a footnote in the history of the game.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Crap. I will leave it at that.

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Thought some of the putters were good, I think I am the only one that liked the MOD series. There color choices were terrible. Volt and Blue woods cut there audience 75%. Just really questionable marketing. Thought their woods were average at best, have last years vapor pro and was atleast 10-15 yards shorter then my callaway. Local course where I would carry a bunker on a dogleg par 5 easily with the callaway was in the bunker everytime with the nike. There blade irons were top notch with the chrome tw, but then again the new black ones with the blue ugg.

equipment as a whole is going to get more expensive.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

but their woods were absolute junk.

I believe everybody who ever played the two fairway woods I mentioned in my orginal post will disagree with you.

Also, the SQ Tour was a very, very good driver.

Junk is a relative term, their stuff wasn't ever bad, but IMO there was always something better. You never really saw Nike in the bags of better players that weren't getting paid to use it. Also two good woods over the extended period of time Nike was making golf equipment is not a high success rate.

Bottom line is that Nike's bottom line on golf was not improving. Even though they're $100b company, the loss for 8+ years was getting out of hand. And Tiger is not getting younger is another push toward this cliff-off decision.

All I wanna know is if RORY 006 putter price will go higher. got 3 in my closet. :D :D

$100B? Sorry to single you out but lot's of bogus numbers being thrown around.

Fiscal year is Jun - May.

Nike Net Sales or Revenue

2011 - $20.86B

2012 - $24.13B

2013 - $25.31B

2014 - $27.80B

2015 - $30.60B

2016 - $32.38B

Nike is a $100.1b company according to Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/nike/

The number from Forbes is the Market Cap or Market Capitalization number. It is incorrect to equate that number with a company's worth but sometimes done so.

No I think market cap is a pretty good estimate of the value. Now if someone wanted to actually buy the company, they would usually wind up paying a premium above the current market cap. Other metrics, based on cash flows etc. are more speculative but could form the basis for a negotiation.

I get it. I work for $16B company (annual revenue) and we are considered a $16B company in our industry. Competitors are considered and ranked in the same way. The Auto industry does the same. The Market Cap number in simplicity is the value of outstanding shares. In this regard Nike is about a $100B company

Sad to see IMO. One less manufacturer mean fewer choices for "us". I have recently put a tour Ignite 410 back in the bag, beautiful classic looking club that can easily hold it's own against more modern drivers. I hate to see that Nike balls will be gone as well, not my absolute favorite but I got along with some of them quite well, and I know lots of guys love them.

Sad news...

Worlds about money. It makes me sick. Greedy corporations pushing people around to line the top of the food chains pockets.

Accountants calling the shots every where. Unrealistic sales targets, corporations pushing the working people to make them richer at the expense of family time.

Nike not the only offenders. So many like that.

Up the revolution!!

Business kind of has to be about making money. And people who launch and run a business should be rewarded very well for the risk they take and the effort they put in to do it. That's very much how the economy works. Nobody's come up with a more successful strategy yet.

The more successful strategy was the one in the 50s, 60s and 70s. It was about making money then as well. But it was enough then to make a profit, period, and everybody's income increased slowly but surely. Compare that to today, and you see the difference.

Today compared to then I see a huge difference in per-capita GDP (way up), the average person has more wealth, more people have college degrees, life expectancy is higher, etc...

Somehow Schwartzel must have found out, contacted Nike, and they let him out. Was he their longest tenured staffer on Tour?

I would think Nike had contacted all of the players already, which would be why Schwartzel left. Reports are coming out of Rory already having a new Cameron early last week. I would be surprised if all of the players, especially the bigger names, found out yesterday.

Um, no.

Telling anyone not having an absolute need to know would expose them to all kinds scrutiny from the government. It isn't worth it to Nike to do that. Getting out of the golf gear biz would pale compared to an investigation of leaking insider information.

Closest that would happen is that around the time the press release went out they'd start making courtesy calls to their tour staff or their reps as a courtesy. Which is about the same time they would (could/shoud) be telling those affected the most - employees.

Without knowing Schwartzel's case it could be he let it be known he wasn't going to re up or some other situation where they mutually agreed to end the relationship and say nothing about it.

In Rory's case it could simply be that he wasn't obligated to play Nike putters. And given his performance on the greens of late, who could blame him for looking for something that might take him back to when he was putting well?

Somehow Schwartzel must have found out, contacted Nike, and they let him out. Was he their longest tenured staffer on Tour?

I would think Nike had contacted all of the players already, which would be why Schwartzel left. Reports are coming out of Rory already having a new Cameron early last week. I would be surprised if all of the players, especially the bigger names, found out yesterday.

Um, no.

Telling anyone not having an absolute need to know would expose them to all kinds scrutiny from the government. It isn't worth it to Nike to do that. Getting out of the golf gear biz would pale compared to an investigation of leaking insider information.

Closest that would happen is that around the time the press release went out they'd start making courtesy calls to their tour staff or their reps as a courtesy. Which is about the same time they would (could/shoud) be telling those affected the most - employees.

Without knowing Schwartzel's case it could be he let it be known he wasn't going to re up or some other situation where they mutually agreed to end the relationship and say nothing about it.

In Rory's case it could simply be that he wasn't obligated to play Nike putters. And given his performance on the greens of late, who could blame him for looking for something that might take him back to when he was putting well?

The Origin had 4 wins before it was released and more after...

"Schwartzel has seen his average putts per round drop by 1.3 strokes. More meaningful still, his Strokes Gained Putting average has improved from -.561 to +.227, while his Strokes Gained Putting ranking has climbed significantly from 169th to 62nd."

Wow it must be the putter that Rory needs to switch out... Golfwrx guys we always blame the equipment. Give it a rest...

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Nike never was a real, dedicated golf equipment company. Their sales have increased, just not "fast enough" to just survive, or eke out a half-decent profit. Was not good enough because they are just a numbers/profits company, or a shirt company also making clubs, and not the other way around, as is the traditional way of things.

Does anybody see for example Titleist or Muzuno bailing out of making clubs because the profit margins and increase in sales was not huge enough?

Went to the local golftown, no vapor fly pro irons on display. limited supply with all other existing models..... nothing is on sale except for the vapor woods and older models.

What is nike going to do with all their current product line? will they just take everything back and dump it or slash prices? So many questions, 0 answers. Also, the guys at the oven should just open up their own shop. they could make a good chunk of change if all the nike hos jumped on the board.