Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Why should a company hold onto a division that loses money or very little profit? How long would you keep a losing stock in your portfolio? And sales revenue does not equal profit.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many pages to go back on so not sure this was posted but this is pretty interesting.

http://www.newstalk....ga-championship

Former PGA Championship winner Rich Beem believes Rory McIlroy needs to not only have fun putting again in a bid to reignite that part of his game - but if possible amid "contractual obligations", perhaps try out new putters.

The 2002 major winner, who is now a golf commentator and analyst with Sky Sports made the cut at the weekend at Baltusrol as his compatriot Jimmy Walker went on to win the tournament.

McIlroy, who is contracted to Nike, on the other hand, missed the cut at the weekend.

"He's got to change something and I think he's got to go back... try and think about how he putted when he was a kid and don't always think about the mechanical part of it, think about the feel, think about the touch, have fun putting again because he gets over it and he just doesn't look comfortable or confident," said Beem, before sharing the story of bumping into McIlroy last week.

"I did see something. His locker was right across from mine during the week and he came in on one of the days. He'd just gotten a brand new Scotty Cameron putter which looked exactly like the one he won with at the US Open in Congressional and I said 'can I see it?' I said 'man, that thing is pretty' and he goes 'yeah, isn't it?'

"I could see this gleam in his eye, like he really wanted to take it out and hit it on the putting green and yet I don't think he did because of contractual obligations. But you kind of feel bad for the guy that's locked in to a contract with a manufacturer. It doesn't feel like he can go out and really play with a golf club that he really wants to play with - even looking at a different putter for a change can certainly change your attitude, thinking and feel. Something's got to give because he is too good of a ball-striker from tee to green to go out there and struggle so mightily on those greens."

^^^ bears repeating.

Still pissed that Tiger had to suffer with that balky Nike putter for the past few years...at least Rory has more than a handful of years left.

If this is true it's pretty telling that Rory went and had Scotty make him a putter basically as soon as he heard he'd be getting out of his contract. If he goes back to the Newport GSS it won't be much different than his putter now but the confidence will be back.

And hopefully Tiger breaks out the ole Scotty as well!

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

I think it would be a savvy move by someone like Bob Parsons with PXG to scoop up guys like Mike Taylor (Engage Wedges) and Dave Franklin (Method Putters/Oven). He did it with the ping engineers so if he incorporated some of the good tech into his clubs anyone playing PXG would essentially be plauing a mixed bag of ping/Nike/pxg's own proprietary tech.

It makes business sense, tech companies buy off patents and other departments from defunct startups all the time

[color=#0000ff]PING G410+ [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS T1100 Tour Issue 6.5 75g[/color]
[color=#0000FF]PING G410 LST 3W [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 85g[/color]
[color=#A9A9A9]Titleist 818H1 2H [/color][color=#ff0000]Fujikura Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9X[/color]
[color=#A9A9A9]Titleist U510 4i [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS Black Hybrid Tour Issue 6.5 105g[/color]
[color=#808080]Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW [/color][color=#ff0000]X100 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 50* F Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]X100 Tour Issue USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* M Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]S400 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 58* K Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]S400 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#0000CD]Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 35" w/ Super Stroke 2.0 USA Ryder Cup Grip[/color]

Believe me I understand its SOP when the doors finally close. Its NUTS that they just closed the OVEN immediately. You aren't talking about a bunch of retail chimps working at circuit city. These guys are well respected individuals who honestly deserved more than the cops showing up and being shown the door. The same thing with the tour van guys stating they've basically been fired. There are "right" ways to do things and abruptly closing the doors to the oven/van wasn't one of them IMO. You want to get out of the club game fine, make your public statement and begin the process because regardless its a process. Give the people who you obviously trust to work remotely, i.e. OVEN far away from HQ, the benefit of the doubt and do things right. They all have to have NDA's and possibly Non-Compete clauses (you'd think) AND you have to assume they have tracking of every item in that place so if anything got out BIG Nike could kill it quickly.

Look, they didn't shut the warehouse down and let all the $7.50 an hour laborers go. Totally understandable that you'd walk those dudes out. Someone has to go through that place and properly shut it down, IMO its more respectable to let the ones who you let run it take care of that. Because you risk even more bringing in someone from outside.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

just watched a business report where it was stated Nike generated 700mil in golf and over 5bil in running and another 2.7bil in jumpman....guy was funny quoted a decline in golf with millennials unless you could somehow put pokemon in the mix

edit: may have caught spelling error unusual for me...

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Too many pages to go back on so not sure this was posted but this is pretty interesting.

http://www.newstalk....ga-championship

Former PGA Championship winner Rich Beem believes Rory McIlroy needs to not only have fun putting again in a bid to reignite that part of his game - but if possible amid "contractual obligations", perhaps try out new putters.

The 2002 major winner, who is now a golf commentator and analyst with Sky Sports made the cut at the weekend at Baltusrol as his compatriot Jimmy Walker went on to win the tournament.

McIlroy, who is contracted to Nike, on the other hand, missed the cut at the weekend.

"He's got to change something and I think he's got to go back... try and think about how he putted when he was a kid and don't always think about the mechanical part of it, think about the feel, think about the touch, have fun putting again because he gets over it and he just doesn't look comfortable or confident," said Beem, before sharing the story of bumping into McIlroy last week.

"I did see something. His locker was right across from mine during the week and he came in on one of the days. He'd just gotten a brand new Scotty Cameron putter which looked exactly like the one he won with at the US Open in Congressional and I said 'can I see it?' I said 'man, that thing is pretty' and he goes 'yeah, isn't it?'

"I could see this gleam in his eye, like he really wanted to take it out and hit it on the putting green and yet I don't think he did because of contractual obligations. But you kind of feel bad for the guy that's locked in to a contract with a manufacturer. It doesn't feel like he can go out and really play with a golf club that he really wants to play with - even looking at a different putter for a change can certainly change your attitude, thinking and feel. Something's got to give because he is too good of a ball-striker from tee to green to go out there and struggle so mightily on those greens."

^^^ bears repeating.

Still pissed that Tiger had to suffer with that balky Nike putter for the past few years...at least Rory has more than a handful of years left.

If this is true it's pretty telling that Rory went and had Scotty make him a putter basically as soon as he heard he'd be getting out of his contract. If he goes back to the Newport GSS it won't be much different than his putter now but the confidence will be back.

And hopefully Tiger breaks out the ole Scotty as well!

Isn't Rickie using Tiger's old putter now? Or at least a putter that was made for Tiger?

Going to be interesting to see which clubs they all use from now and how quick the changes will be.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Believe me I understand its SOP when the doors finally close. Its NUTS that they just closed the OVEN immediately. You aren't talking about a bunch of retail chimps working at circuit city. These guys are well respected individuals who honestly deserved more than the cops showing up and being shown the door. The same thing with the tour van guys stating they've basically been fired. There are "right" ways to do things and abruptly closing the doors to the oven/van wasn't one of them IMO. You want to get out of the club game fine, make your public statement and begin the process because regardless its a process. Give the people who you obviously trust to work remotely, i.e. OVEN far away from HQ, the benefit of the doubt and do things right. They all have to have NDA's and possibly Non-Compete clauses (you'd think) AND you have to assume they have tracking of every item in that place so if anything got out BIG Nike could kill it quickly.

Look, they didn't shut the warehouse down and let all the $7.50 an hour laborers go. Totally understandable that you'd walk those dudes out. Someone has to go through that place and properly shut it down, IMO its more respectable to let the ones who you let run it take care of that. Because you risk even more bringing in someone from outside.

So you think it's more respectable to treat some people with a higher level of respect but other "laborers" don't deserve the same level of respect?

Your post tells me that you know nothing about the corporate world and have obviously never fired anyone or dealt with people that had a short timers mentality. Their are a million reasons of why they handle things this way, and yes it comes across as cold but at the end of the day it's business and business has no emotions.

Reading the Nike 2017 thread... everyone who was so sure about next clubs, rumors about orange being the new accent color, saying how the Vapor Fly discounting was genius...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1338928-nike-2017/

:pimp:

These weren't rumors. The clubs are in production. They could launch but will be scrapped now. And orange was the new color.

Maybe Nike will donate them to North Korea!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Worlds about money. It makes me sick. Greedy corporations pushing people around to line the top of the food chains pockets.

Accountants calling the shots every where. Unrealistic sales targets, corporations pushing the working people to make them richer at the expense of family time.

Nike not the only offenders. So many like that.

Up the revolution!!

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

It's SOP. It is what it is. Unless one of us was in the room regularly, we'll never know the culture and environment there, or anywhere.

FWIW, I've encountered retail chimps and $7.50 an hour laborers with far more integrity and trustworthiness that guys hired to "run it."

“I just heard in the last hour so it’s still a little bit of a shock, to say the least,†said Finau, who signed with Nike in January. “I love the equipment I’m playing now, and it’s a real process to get through to make a change like that. I don’t know exactly what it’s going to mean for contracts, but it’s pretty likely that this time next year I won’t be playing Nike clubs.â€

http://www.golfdiges...ootwear-apparel

wut?

Ha! Gotta decoded to find out his next club manufacture he will be playing.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

I used to own a mint set of Nike Pro Combos, some of the best looking ever!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Worlds about money. It makes me sick. Greedy corporations pushing people around to line the top of the food chains pockets.

Accountants calling the shots every where. Unrealistic sales targets, corporations pushing the working people to make them richer at the expense of family time.

Up the revolution!!

Or Excel Acrobats as I like to call them. The people who are responsible for doctors in hospitals having to spend more time with paperwork than with patients.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

“I just heard in the last hour so itâ€s still a little bit of a shock, to say the least,†said Finau, who signed with Nike in January. “I love the equipment Iâ€m playing now, and itâ€s a real process to get through to make a change like that. I donâ€t know exactly what itâ€s going to mean for contracts, but itâ€s pretty likely that this time next year I wonâ€t be playing Nike clubs.â€

http://www.golfdiges...ootwear-apparel

wut?

Ha! Gotta decoded to find out his next club manufacture he will be playing.

found it!! :)

*in bold and underlined

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I think it would be a savvy move by someone like Bob Parsons with PXG to scoop up guys like Mike Taylor (Engage Wedges) and Dave Franklin (Method Putters/Oven). He did it with the ping engineers so if he incorporated some of the good tech into his clubs anyone playing PXG would essentially be plauing a mixed bag of ping/Nike/pxg's own proprietary tech.

It makes business sense, tech companies buy off patents and other departments from defunct startups all the time

I would fully support this and jump on the PXG wagon. Really just hope these two land somewhere with the freedom to create and not be held back.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

What happens to the Oven?

Titleist TSi3, 9.0*/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 75 x stiff;
Titleist TSi2 13.5*/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Black 85 x stiff;
Titleist U505 3 iron/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff:
Cobra Forged Tec 4- PW/ KBS C Taper 120 stiff/ hard stepped once;
Vokey SM9 50*F/TKBS C Taper 120 x stiff;
Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200;
Vokey Custom Grind 58*T/ TT DG Tour Issue s400;
Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"; Titleist Pro Pro V1

Up the revolution!!

what the hell am i reading

For showing the golf industry they are always just one fire hydrant away from having to put the shutters on.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

They will be remembered as pure garbage by a lot of peeps on here who never tried any of their gear and simply dissed them on pure hearsay for sure.

FTFY :)

I will remember them for my current set of VR Split Cavities and my Drone putter, both fantastic pieces of equipment. I have multiple brands in my bag and do not hold any of them as the holy grail. Never EVER thought I would put Nike in my bag, but I keep going back to my irons.

I guess people can now transfer the hate onto the gaudy, crappy Cobra gear from here on! (I have some of that too).

They will be remembered as pure garbage by a lot of peeps on here who never tried any of their gear and simply dissed them on pure hearsay for sure.

FTFY :)

I will remember them for my current set of VR Split Cavities and my Drone putter, both fantastic pieces of equipment. I have multiple brands in my bag and do not hold any of them as the holy grail. Never EVER thought I would put Nike in my bag, but I keep going back to my irons.

I guess people can now transfer the hate onto the gaudy, crappy Cobra gear from here on! (I have some of that too).

I would hardly call these gaudy or crappy

Up the revolution!!

what the hell am i reading

Some kind of proletariat manifesto. The abbreviated version.

Did I miss something, who said Rory and the others would change equipment? They still have contracts and no one will buy out Rory's contract.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Nike made some really nice players clubs, mostly blades, the OG blades they started with were pure beauties. And really garish clubs after that. There was really no in between with them.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Up the revolution!!

Business kind of has to be about making money. And people who launch and run a business should be rewarded very well for the risk they take and the effort they put in to do it. That's very much how the economy works. Nobody's come up with a more successful strategy yet.

it's like seeing a sad story..last time we see the blue bag?

34209557-95C9-4286-A5B0-E0AEA0C652C3_zps0y4irvge.png

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Reading the Nike 2017 thread... everyone who was so sure about next clubs, rumors about orange being the new accent color, saying how the Vapor Fly discounting was genius...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1338928-nike-2017/

:pimp:

These weren't rumors. The clubs are in production. They could launch but will be scrapped now. And orange was the new color.

Maybe Nike will donate them to North Korea!

Kim Jong Il only needs 2 sticks glued together to shoot a 38