Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

The irony in all of this is that Nike is getting absolutely killed in golf apparel by Under Armour and Adidas and losing in footwear to newcomers Skechers and Under Armour. They used to dominate the golf apparel segment.

Their equipment has gotten better over the years and, while significantly smaller than the big four (TM, Callaway, Titelist, and PING), is not falling off the cliff like their apparel business.

Haha, okay man. Why post if you're just gonna blabber nonsense?

And to the people dancing on the grave of Nike golf, you do realize this is BAD on the whole for the regular golfer, right? Less brands, less competition, less innovation.

What I posted is not nonsense. Nike is getting killed in the golf apparel and footwear segments right now.

By Sketchers and UA??!! Lol. Ok dude.

Footjoy and Adidas are relatively flat in footwear. Brands like Nike (a little) and Ecco (a lot) down. Skechers and Under Armour (to a lesser degree) are both making inroads in the golf footwear business.

Continue laughing out loud if you must.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony in all of this is that Nike is getting absolutely killed in golf apparel by Under Armour and Adidas and losing in footwear to newcomers Skechers and Under Armour. They used to dominate the golf apparel segment.

Their equipment has gotten better over the years and, while significantly smaller than the big four (TM, Callaway, Titelist, and PING), is not falling off the cliff like their apparel business.

Mods- can we please do something to contain the hatters and trolls? This is getting ridicules!

100% agree!

From 2013 article -

"If Nike is serious about becoming the #1 Company in Golf, and they've told me as much on a few occasions now, they need to realize they've outgrown Tiger Woods. He's not only taken them as far as any one man could have, the company's apparent continued reliance on him to take them even further is killing Nike Golf."

"I'm not suggesting they dump him. He's absolutely a key piece to any future success, but you can't build the #1 Company in Golf around a single athlete, not even when that athlete is Tiger Woods." To get to #1 Nike needs more than Tiger Woods. They need more than Rory McIlroy too. A whole lot more."

"What they must do is fundamentally change their approach to the golf business."

Haha, okay man. Why post if you're just gonna blabber nonsense?

And to the people dancing on the grave of Nike golf, you do realize this is BAD on the whole for the regular golfer, right? Less brands, less competition, less innovation.

What I posted is not nonsense. Nike is getting killed in the golf apparel and footwear segments right now.

I would love to see these facts.... Sketchers is not outselling Nike in footwear LOL

Maybe I wasn't articulate enough. Neither Skechers nor Under Armour are outselling Nike. I don't think I stated that. I said Nike is losing in the golf footwear segment and that companies like Skechers and Under Armour are making inroads at the expense of brands like Nike.

That they can beat the hell out of an SUV..........

Durability is the word I think you're looking for.

Loved the looks of Nike's Original blades and irons in the first years...after that their clubs got gaudier and gaudier...no wonder nobody bought them...

Yep........two of the finest sets of blades you'll ever find or play. Of course, one is a classic and is timeless..................

God they are pretty. If only they would've released the Vapor Pro sets without the PVD finish...

Part of the problem is we have Muni's charging higher rates than ever before and the game isn't growing at the rate that it did 10-15 years ago. I can't believe how much it costs to have to play 18 now compared to 07. Literally seems like a 15-20% increase across the board.

Right. And it takes way too long to play. I think people watch the pro's on TV and think they are them. They take way too long between shots and on the putting green. There's no reason for it. I've lost my interest in golf and my passion. I have no patience anymore for a 5 hour round of golf at $50+ bucks a round.

They'll be remembered for making okay equipment at a premium price. I can't think of a single thing they made that was good or something they could claim king of. Poor golf ball, poor woods, decent irons, meh wedges, ok putters.

They do however make the best clothing and outerwear and shoes. That isn't even close

Part of the problem is we have Muni's charging higher rates than ever before and the game isn't growing at the rate that it did 10-15 years ago. I can't believe how much it costs to have to play 18 now compared to 07. Literally seems like a 15-20% increase across the board.

The price of golf is highly location dependent. In my area green fees at public courses are no higher than they were 10-15 years ago and only modestly higher than in 1990. But around here there are way too many golf courses chasing after fewer and fewer golfers. Any place raising their prices right now would see their tee sheet go from half-empty to empty overnight.

This^ Golf in this part of the country is much cheaper now than in the mid and late 90's. In 1995 weekend rates for most decent courses was $45 for 18 holes with a cart. Now it's $26 after 3pm on weekends and usually $29-$32 any other time

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Right. And it takes way too long to play. I think people watch the pro's on TV and think they are them. They take way too long between shots and on the putting green. There's no reason for it. I've lost my interest in golf and my passion. I have no patience anymore for a 5 hour round of golf at $50+ bucks a round.

I also think they should get rid of OB and just have one hazard. Just play everything as close to where something crossed going OB or hazard. This would help speed up golf and make it less complicated then white stakes, red stakes, white stakes.

I'm surprised it was Nike first, but TaylorMade is next to exit. When they get bought TM clubs will slowly be phased out. I would imagine some of the players will stick with Nike apparel and even clubs for awhile. Eventually, they will get other club deals and maybe move over.

As far as Rory goes, he needs a different style putter, not necessarily a different brand. I think he should go to a more mallet style putter.

TM clubs will be phased out? If whomever buys them wanted to consolidate (unless you're UA), it would make much more sense to fold your own brand into TM. They have more name recognition than probably anyone outside of Titleist.

Most likely, just look at the fact Adidas wants to get rid of them so bad. What usually happens is they get bought and phased out or their patents are taken...just like TM did when they acquired Adams. Someone will buy TM just to take out the competition.

This topic is Word not allowed backwards.

The title should read. Will Tiger be remembered as single handily selling Nike clubs.

Without Tiger the Nike brand is trash and this is just another bit of evidence that no matter how great all these great young players are. No one will do more for golf and move the needle like TW.

They make amazing clothing but trying to make clubs flashy and colorful is a no-go in the golf world.

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

It's awesome to see how everyone has an opinion on Nike equipment. Especially the ones who never used their stuff. Sure you find it great to see a competitor drop from the race. Those of us that actually enjoy it and use it though, this sucks. I love my equipment. I've tried to play Callaway and Titleist, neither sat well with me. I know this is going to get buried, but to those of you who have something to say, yet never used Nike, just don't bother. We understand that you chose something else for what ever reason.

I know a lot of Nike users would would be saddened to see another equipment company fall like this. There's no need to drop your hate here.

Nike essentially bullied their way into the golf market by throwing millions they made off Michael Jordan at Tiger Woods. Then they spent the next 15 years saturating the most conservative game in all of sport with marketing to convince us that a driver that looks like a miniature version of some Asian kid's souped-up civic looks really cool. "Hey, how 'bout a square yellow driver?"

Nah... I'll have another pint of Schadenfreude Dark lager.

I really never thought about it but since 1988 when I started playing I've owned 100's of iron sets,drivers, putters, etc. I've never had anything in particular against Nike stuff. Some of it was very cool and I'm sure they had some quality clubs. But not once did I ever consider buying a Nike product. I never intentionally avoided them but they never produced anything that just stood out and screamed BUY ME!!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

But getting back to equipment, $500/$400, etc. for a new driver is just ridiculous. No wonder why these companies and golf stores are folding.

No kidding. I am wondering how big the market for clubs really is. I have been playing off and on since the early 1990s and I have only bought three sets of clubs, two three woods, a bunch of wedges and two putters. I heard on the news too that Golfsmith is close to bankruptcy.

I just started playing the Nike Tour RZN Black. I know it's not popular but I love the click and firmer feel off the wedges and putter around the green. Anyone who's played that ball know a similar ball I could try that is a tad more firm and "clicky"

the 20xi ball is more clicky compared to the rzn black if you like that feel. Its my favorite ball.

A lot of people who thought the 20xi was too clicky loved the rzn black

The price of golf is highly location dependent. In my area green fees at public courses are no higher than they were 10-15 years ago and only modestly higher than in 1990. But around here there are way too many golf courses chasing after fewer and fewer golfers. Any place raising their prices right now would see their tee sheet go from half-empty to empty overnight.

This^ Golf in this part of the country is much cheaper now than in the mid and late 90's. In 1995 weekend rates for most decent courses was $45 for 18 holes with a cart. Now it's $26 after 3pm on weekends and usually $29-$32 any other time

This must be the opposite in Miami, FL then. Courses have not gone major renovations. We've had three courses close in the county since 08 and prices somehow continue to skyrocket. The cheapest round you can get without a "tee deal" "hot deal" is $35 at a public muni that actually gives a damn.

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

I just started playing the Nike Tour RZN Black. I know it's not popular but I love the click and firmer feel off the wedges and putter around the green. Anyone who's played that ball know a similar ball I could try that is a tad more firm and "clicky"

I'm stocking up on the tour black, but I've heard the Bridgestone b330 is most similar. Prov and 1x spin far too much for me so once I run out of the stock of tour blacks I put together, I'll probably try those next.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I think the problem is when large sports equipment manufacturers “add-on” golf. It eventually fails. I worked in a pro shop in NJ in the mid 90’s when Nike signed Tiger. It’s not like Nike already had a great club or ball and then went after endorsements. They made a record breaking deal with Tiger without any golf equipment business to speak of, then tried to build the capability. Took them decades. Look up what Tiger played in his ’97 Masters win (as mentioned in this thread, Cameron putter, Cobra driver, etc.). For all those old enough to recall those days, it felt like Nike was trying to buy their way into golf with no experience. That may be the source of some of the haters out there. Early Nike golf efforts were awful. The first irons, woods, etc. were not good. Contrast that approach with PXG who actually seem to be trying to make a great product first. At least their endorsements are coming after the R&D. And PXG is not a big all sports equipment manufacturer. Neither were Ping or Callaway. The original Taylormade started by Harry Taylor was golf only, as was Roger Cleveland’s wedge business. Prince, Head, Rawlings, Spalding, AMF, all attempted golf add-ons and failed eventually. At least Acushnet had the good sense to carve out a golf focused brand for Titleist. Golf is tough and unique (game and business). That’s what I like about it and why I play. Sorry to see Nike golf fold, they were finally getting things on track.

Dare I speculate without reading all of the 24 pages before just to see if somebody wrote something similar before?

Could it be that Tiger will retire and Nike know it so that they cannot hope for a sales boost upon his return?

Could it also be that Rory expressed much displeasure with certain parts of the equipment (like ball and putter) and tried to negotiate himself out of the contract and even threatened to breach it if necessary (would not be the first time in his career)?

Could it be that because of both circumstances (and terrible sales figures) they have contemplated this move for some time and Rory also knew about this and wanted to change putter or ball straight away, but they threatened such legal action that he complied and that this is one of the reasons why he seems so uninterested and unmotivated this year (except for his own home Open, which he really, really wanted to win)?

I personally think Nike is getting hammered as a company by Under Armour and is looking at places where it can make money and places where it can't.. Look at the growth rates and profit for both companies and the picture is pretty clear..

Not sure of you definition of "getting hammered" is but ya might wanna check the Fiscal reports. NIKE does more in a quarter than UA does in a year.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

I think the problem is when large sports equipment manufacturers “add-on” golf. It eventually fails. I worked in a pro shop in NJ in the mid 90’s when Nike signed Tiger. It’s not like Nike already had a great club or ball and then went after endorsements. They made a record breaking deal with Tiger without any golf equipment business to speak of, then tried to build the capability. Took them decades. Look up what Tiger played in his ’97 Masters win (as mentioned in this thread, Cameron putter, Cobra driver, etc.). For all those old enough to recall those days, it felt like Nike was trying to buy their way into golf with no experience. That may be the source of some of the haters out there. Early Nike golf efforts were awful. The first irons, woods, etc. were not good. Contrast that approach with PXG who actually seem to be trying to make a great product first. At least their endorsements are coming after the R&D. And PXG is not a big all sports equipment manufacturer. Neither were Ping or Callaway. The original Taylormade started by Harry Taylor was golf only, as was Roger Cleveland’s wedge business. Prince, Head, Rawlings, Spalding, AMF, all attempted golf add-ons and failed eventually. At least Acushnet had the good sense to carve out a golf focused brand for Titleist. Golf is tough and unique (game and business). That’s what I like about it and why I play. Sorry to see Nike golf fold, they were finally getting things on track.

Ok this is true the first woods and irons were horrendous. However, be fair, they did figure things out along the way when the Ignite line was first released. It's really not fair to sit here and bash nike up and down the list regarding shapes and quality. Does any remember Cleveland's weird top dented driver? How about the FT-I square cinderblock on a stick? Everyone did it, let's not pretend that callaway and other major reps didn't attempt it.

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"