2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

Ok so I did some research today and here is what I found. The new KSigs are being manufactured by the same company that made Nike golf balls, which is also manufacturing golf balls for a start up called Sphera. I found on the most recent USGA conforming list the balls are identical other than the spin rate listing which is given to the USGA by the company marketing the ball. So I contacted Sphera on their Facebook page and asked them. They replied they believe Costco is using the same manufacture as them. So from there I read through a few reviews and articles about Sphera golf balls and found out they are using a manufacturer that was making balls for a major player that just dropped out of the market. What other “major player” in the ball market has recently dropped out?

So anyway there you go. Mystery solved!

And, what company would that be?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Ok so I did some research today and here is what I found. The new KSigs are being manufactured by the same company that made Nike golf balls, which is also manufacturing golf balls for a start up called Sphera. I found on the most recent USGA conforming list the balls are identical other than the spin rate listing which is given to the USGA by the company marketing the ball. So I contacted Sphera on their Facebook page and asked them. They replied they believe Costco is using the same manufacture as them. So from there I read through a few reviews and articles about Sphera golf balls and found out they are using a manufacturer that was making balls for a major player that just dropped out of the market. What other “major player” in the ball market has recently dropped out?

I don’t know the article didn’t name the company and I didn’t ask Sphera. Feel free to hit them up on Facebook and ask. I have no need for that info myself. At this point I just ask myself if I was a fan of Nike Golf balls.. ?

Geek4Golf

Ok so I did some research today and here is what I found. The new KSigs are being manufactured by the same company that made Nike golf balls, which is also manufacturing golf balls for a start up called Sphera. I found on the most recent USGA conforming list the balls are identical other than the spin rate listing which is given to the USGA by the company marketing the ball. So I contacted Sphera on their Facebook page and asked them. They replied they believe Costco is using the same manufacture as them. So from there I read through a few reviews and articles about Sphera golf balls and found out they are using a manufacturer that was making balls for a major player that just dropped out of the market. What other "major player" in the ball market has recently dropped out?

SWOOOOOSH!!!!!!!

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Ok so I did some research today and here is what I found. The new KSigs are being manufactured by the same company that made Nike golf balls, which is also manufacturing golf balls for a start up called Sphera. I found on the most recent USGA conforming list the balls are identical other than the spin rate listing which is given to the USGA by the company marketing the ball. So I contacted Sphera on their Facebook page and asked them. They replied they believe Costco is using the same manufacture as them. So from there I read through a few reviews and articles about Sphera golf balls and found out they are using a manufacturer that was making balls for a major player that just dropped out of the market. What other "major player" in the ball market has recently dropped out?

SWOOOOOSH!!!!!!!

But what would the equivalent be?

SWOOOOOSH!!!!!!!

Lol, no, I got that part. I'm curious which company produced balls for Nike and now Costco and Sphere. I remember talk that Bridgestone was making them for a while, but I imagine it wouldn't be them now.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Can you post the listing information?

I don’t know the article didn’t name the company and I didn’t ask Sphera. Feel free to hit them up on Facebook and ask. I have no need for that info myself. At this point I just ask myself if I was a fan of Nike Golf balls.. ?

There were a few I liked. A few I didn't though. I doubt they're using Nike patented designs? If they're like the Platinums from years ago, I'll be happy.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Let me play devils advocate for a moment with Mr. Snell. It almost seems that Snell is poo-pooing the thought that Costco could ever have a continuing supply of Kirkland balls to fill customers needs. Also, Costco only has a limited supply and they hold back on that supply in order to maintain relevance (while wasting dollars on inventory and warehouse space). Costco does this to remain "in the news" and uses this as a marketing ploy to keep it's customers always wanting. Is this possible? Sure, why not.

BUT, maybe Snell is doing the poo-pooing in order to turn people away from ever even considering playing Kirkland balls. After all, why would anyone play a ball that will not be around and is just a fluke. There is no reason to find a ball you like that cannot be replaced. Maybe players should buy Snell balls because the supply will always be there when ever you need. I'm not saying this is true. I'm just saying maybe it could be possible. Marketing is marketing and squelching the competition is a big part of that.

“Found more overrun cores...” is the biggest mystery to me.

How many hundreds of thousands of double dozens has Costco sold since last year?

How many overrun cores could be hidden away, just waiting to be discovered?

The mind boggles.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

There were a few I liked. A few I didn't though. I doubt they're using Nike patented designs? If they're like the Platinums from years ago, I'll be happy.

https://gandemagazine.com/episode-15-sphera-golf-introducing-industry-disrupting-product/

Good info here on Sphera and the two balls comparable to The new KSigs

Geek4Golf

manufacturer as in Nassau? or the factory actually creating the ball - joe's golf ball production shop?

I'd say it's entirely realistic that the factory that is producing the ball for Nassau/Costco was the same factory that lost a ton of business when Nike pulled out.

https://gandemagazine.com/episode-15-sphera-golf-introducing-industry-disrupting-product/

Good info here on Sphera and the two balls comparable to The new KSigs

Good read. Thanks. Where did you confirm these were made by the same manufacturer? It would make sense though. Whomever was making Nike balls would definitely be looking to replace that business.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

How many hundreds of thousands of double dozens has Costco sold since last year?

The mind boggles.

I am pretty sure “overrun cores” is a euphemism for IP piracy.

Let me play devils advocate for a moment with Mr. Snell. It almost seems that Snell is poo-pooing the thought that Costco could ever have a continuing supply of Kirkland balls to fill customers needs. Also, Costco only has a limited supply and they hold back on that supply in order to maintain relevance (while wasting dollars on inventory and warehouse space). Costco does this to remain "in the news" and uses this as a marketing ploy to keep it's customers always wanting. Is this possible? Sure, why not.

BUT, maybe Snell is doing the poo-pooing in order to turn people away from ever even considering playing Kirkland balls. After all, why would anyone play a ball that will not be around and is just a fluke. There is no reason to find a ball you like that cannot be replaced. Maybe players should buy Snell balls because the supply will always be there when ever you need. I'm not saying this is true. I'm just saying maybe it could be possible. Marketing is marketing and squelching the competition is a big part of that.

Well all balls have about a 2 year cycle so if you can load up on 20-30 dozen KSIGS its not different than playing the 2017 V1 because in 2019 there will be a different V1. The hog wash of I won't play a ball that is only available every 6 months is crap. The KSIG were $35 a dozen shipped on ebay even before this last release. No reason you couldn't play the KSIG and worry about them not being available.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

The mind boggles.

Is it?

You seem to be “pretty sure” of a lot of things in this thread, lol.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

"Found more overrun cores..." is the biggest mystery to me.

The mind boggles.

I am pretty sure "overrun cores" is a euphemism for IP piracy.

Is it?

You seem to be "pretty sure" of a lot of things in this thread, lol.

I'm pretty sure that Costco's lawyers are confident they can weather the claim of IP piracy, seeing that we are in the 2nd year of this ball's availability.

What other “major player” in the ball market has recently dropped out?

Kick X???

Hmm. Kick X? Didn’t they get shut down by the feds for false advertising or something? Would they have been considered a “major player” in the golf ball industry?

That was supposed to be a joke ???.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

played yesterday after work with the ksig3 and my take is the durability is crazy...i hit the same ball multiple times from the trees and still not a single mark. i didnt hit any cart paths so that needs some testing lol ...it goes as long for me as the 4piece and feels softer but it doesnt spin as much for me like the 4piece with the irons and around the greens. overall i like it considering how much it cost!

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

Costco has $130 billion in revenue alone. The entire golf ball segment is what, $1.3 billion? $500-600 million in the US?

Kirkland is looking at most what, 10% of that segment if they're successful? 20%?

1% would be a success and 2-3% would be almost inconceivable without a Tour presence. That's better than Nike ever achieved in golf ball market share.

Costco has $130 billion in revenue alone. The entire golf ball segment is what, $1.3 billion? $500-600 million in the US?

Kirkland is looking at most what, 10% of that segment if they're successful? 20%?

1% would be a success and 2-3% would be almost inconceivable without a Tour presence. That's better than Nike ever achieved in golf ball market share.

I think their pricing model would make up for the lack of a tour presence. But, if they can't sustain inventory, then there's no chance.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

The mind boggles.

No. The early claim is that the Ksig was an "overrun" product, thus the reason they were so cheap. The IP issue came up much later, after Titleist demanded Costco withdraw the ball from the market.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I think their pricing model would make up for the lack of a tour presence. But, if they can't sustain inventory, then there's no chance.

Costco doesn't want to be a player in th golf business, they just want to use products like this to hook you on a membership and buy other products they offer. Its that simple!

Costco doesn't want to be a player in th golf business, they just want to use products like this to hook you on a membership and buy other products they offer. Its that simple!

But my point was, even if this was some sort of marketing ploy to hook people into memberships, it's just not enough reach to make much of a dent.

The conspiracy theories regarding the Ksig continues to amaze. When is the lawsuit between Costco and Titleist slated to begin? We won't know the truth before that. I for one hope Costco wins, and I suspect they will unless Nassau screwed them over and sold them balls with tech owned by other companies.

Regarding the overrun balls business is concerned, this is a theory promoted by MANY here and repeated endlessly. Type "overrun" into the search box for this thread and start reading.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The wish-fulfillment stuff that is projected onto Costco throughout the thread is amazing. Stuff that Tony Covey makes up out of whole cloth gets quoted as though Costco were claiming it. Anonymously sourced excuse-making from an Asian contract manufacturer gets treated as a Costco pronouncement. Costco showing up from time to time to sell a batch of cheap, good golf balls is interpreted as Costco trying to upset the entire golf industry.

As I always say, Costco does what Costco does. They know what they're doing, they are good at it and their way of doing business provides very good value to their members. The rest of this stuff is just balloon juice.