Mizuno JPX 900 drivers

KT35

I went in to hit the 917 demo yesterday and the shop had just gotten the new Mizuno Driver. I hit them both for almost an hour in the sim. I was not that impressed with the 917. However I was very impressed with the feel and look of the Mizuno. That blue head looks awesome sitting on the ground. I hit balls off the toe and heal and didn't see the big drop off in distance like the previous models.

I got the driver with the new speeder evolution II 569. The shaft is legit. I didn't think I would like the lighter shaft but the more I hit it the more I fell in love. I was playing the Taylormade M2 previously and my biggest complaint with that club was dispersion. I don't seem to have the problem with the Mizuno as I went straight to the course yesterday and the dispersion was much tighter. I'm very happy with the purchase so far!

My SS was 99-102

Spin 2412 avg

I had the850, traded for a 900. went back to the 850, much better driver. new is not always better.

I went in to hit the 917 demo yesterday and the shop had just gotten the new Mizuno Driver. I hit them both for almost an hour in the sim. I was not that impressed with the 917. However I was very impressed with the feel and look of the Mizuno. That blue head looks awesome sitting on the ground. I hit balls off the toe and heal and didn't see the big drop off in distance like the previous models.

I got the driver with the new speeder evolution II 569. The shaft is legit. I didn't think I would like the lighter shaft but the more I hit it the more I fell in love. I was playing the Taylormade M2 previously and my biggest complaint with that club was dispersion. I don't seem to have the problem with the Mizuno as I went straight to the course yesterday and the dispersion was much tighter. I'm very happy with the purchase so far!

My SS was 99-102

Spin 2412 avg

I had the850, traded for a 900. went back to the 850, much better driver. new is not always better.

Maybe for you, not one size fits all.

Hit this today at our Mizuno demo day and thought it was a great driver. Feel is outstanding, reminded me a bit of the M2

I found it very high launching with the Fuji 661. I had to set the loft at 7.5 degrees, but once i did that i really was cranking them.

To me it was pretty similar to the M2 though i hit them with different shafts. The Epic which i play is a totally different feel , it's kind of hard to switch between them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

How would you compare the 900 to your Epic Jeff?

Epic is a very muted feel, similar to the original Ping Rapture. It's not for everyone. It also feels heavy to me and kind of like hitting a ball with a sledgehammer. But the ball just comes out with really low spin and rolls and rolls, it's a real "thumpy" driver.

The JPX900 reminded me more of the M2. It's a crisper sound when struck and has more of a triangular head with a longish face. It's a different look at address. I tested them using different shafts but to me the JPX seemed higher launching and the ball wanted to go straighter than the Epic. Some of that might be the shaft

I didn't get my numbers but my feeling was likely that the JPX was a bit higher launching and spinning, but felt amazing and went straighter, and almost as long.

The Epic is a numb driver that feels heavy and a bit disconnected compared to the M2 and JPX. But you thump it and it goes and rolls forever

Honestly i'd play either one without hesitation. Same with M2

I gotta be honest. I "liked" hitting the M2 and Jpx900 more than the Epic, but the Epic performs very well in the real world. I spun it 2000rpm in Carslbad so it's really a bomber for me because it rolls a lot

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Have had the 900 about a month and the 569 II regular flex seems about right for my 90 SS. Of course played around with various weight settings and goggled some of the website reviews on settings. Typically keep the VA (silver)slider on neutral and have both weights towards middle on center track or one on mid center track and one on draw . What are the settings you guys found works the best for you?

Hit this today at our Mizuno demo day and thought it was a great driver. Feel is outstanding, reminded me a bit of the M2

I found it very high launching with the Fuji 661. I had to set the loft at 7.5 degrees, but once i did that i really was cranking them.

To me it was pretty similar to the M2 though i hit them with different shafts. The Epic which i play is a totally different feel , it's kind of hard to switch between them

I found the 661 higher launching as well. It was a good feeling shaft, but just a bit too much of a high flight, I did the same and cranked it down and it leveled it out some, but I can see how it could be a bad fit for some people.

Thats one of the cool things about the club, its got a lot of options to dial it in and once you find that good combo, its a winner.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I found the 661 higher launching as well. It was a good feeling shaft, but just a bit too much of a high flight, I did the same and cranked it down and it leveled it out some, but I can see how it could be a bad fit for some people.

Thats one of the cool things about the club, its got a lot of options to dial it in and once you find that good combo, its a winner.

If i recall it had like 5 degrees of adjustability? It's class leading or up there in loft options for sure

I didn't even mess around with the sliding rails

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If i recall it had like 5 degrees of adjustability? It's class leading or up there in loft options for sure

I didn't even mess around with the sliding rails

Yep, its around 7.5 to 11.5 I believe off the top of my head. Add the sliding weights, and you got all you'd even need to tinker with.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

How would you compare the 900 to your Epic Jeff?

Epic is a very muted feel, similar to the original Ping Rapture. It's not for everyone. It also feels heavy to me and kind of like hitting a ball with a sledgehammer. But the ball just comes out with really low spin and rolls and rolls, it's a real "thumpy" driver.

The JPX900 reminded me more of the M2. It's a crisper sound when struck and has more of a triangular head with a longish face. It's a different look at address. I tested them using different shafts but to me the JPX seemed higher launching and the ball wanted to go straighter than the Epic. Some of that might be the shaft

I didn't get my numbers but my feeling was likely that the JPX was a bit higher launching and spinning, but felt amazing and went straighter, and almost as long.

The Epic is a numb driver that feels heavy and a bit disconnected compared to the M2 and JPX. But you thump it and it goes and rolls forever

Honestly i'd play either one without hesitation. Same with M2

I gotta be honest. I "liked" hitting the M2 and Jpx900 more than the Epic, but the Epic performs very well in the real world. I spun it 2000rpm in Carslbad so it's really a bomber for me because it rolls a lot

+1 on this. Very well described. I love the Epic fairways, driver felt sledgehammer-ish to me as well. It had high ballspeeds but I did not hit it accurately on the LM.

In terms of accuracy on the golf course, the Ping G was way better. I can get away with all but my worse swings with that thing. It is louder than others but it performs.

I would like to give Mizuno a test run in the JPX 900 3 wood to see if it is anything like the driver. I don't hesitate to hit 3 wood off the tee and nothing yet has defeated the Callaway XHot2 3 Deep with Diamana 80g Whiteboard. Hit a couple of tee shots 260-plus right down the middle over the weekend. I like the deeper face looking woods as long as they are equally good off the deck, not too bulky. Mizuno is more average than deep-faced, but it also is not shallow and has a slightly larger head that I do like the look of.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 month later...

Have been on the hunt for a driver since spring. Actually got fit and the Epic was the best but Mizzy wasn't one of the sticks they had. Long story short, I ended up making some pretty dramatic swing changes (highly influenced by Brandel Chamblee's Anatomy of Greatness) and never got around to buying the Epic since my swing had changed so much and I felt the fitting was no longer valid.

Fast forward to Friday night. My wife and kids are out of town for a few days so I headed to PGA Tour Superstore to "just see". Swung the Epic and it just felt crude. Like others have said, it just has this bludgeon, "club-like" feel (or lack thereof) and the numbers were just ok. Nothing about it screamed "buy me".

I've always loved the looks of the JPX900 but had only hit it a couple of times on a lark with no warm up or focus. I also was well aware that it had a fantastic stock shaft. As I strolled past the Mizuno section I was shocked when I saw they had dropped the price to $350. I immediately went to the demo bag and found one with a stiff 661 to try out. Results were way better than the Epic and my current gamer (not surprising given it is about 6 years old). Probably my biggest impulse buy in years, I decided to pull the trigger.

I hit it at the range yesterday and it was a pretty uneven session, actually started to wonder if I had made a mistake. I think what I really needed to do is get it out on the course. Played 27 today and by the end I was like a kid in a candy store... this thing is just awesome. I hit a couple of the best drives of my life, one in particular that still gives me chills. The feel is outstanding and the sound is like a major leaguer swatting a home run, a woody crack that just sounds perfect. The more I went after the ball, the better my results were. I could not be happier and strongly recommend people give this thing a shot. It's that good!

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Something that I found with my 900 driver that was a surprise. I tried a black shaft and the head looked huge. I put the stock shaft back in and the head was smaller. I now understand why they chose the colors for their stock shafts. Has anyone else noticed this?

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I still love this driver and shaft combo. Still performing very well.

Me too. My 900 with 661 S set at 9.5* with slider in neutral and weights in the center channel in the number 2&3 spot are yielding straight bombs and it's really a fairway finder! Staying in my bag!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

This is the only driver that I haven't been able to try out this year. Stupidly, I passed up the opportunity to try it as I was (and still am for that matter) quite pleased with the performance of my 915 D2/Kai'li 70x combo. That said, I'm always curious to see if something can beat that stick out of the bag and with the way I've taken to my JPX 900 Tours and T7 wedges, I'm really curious about the 900 driver with the 757x. I may have to try and seek one out to demo. Unfortunately no one locally stocks these for me to test out.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I just demoed the Ping G400 driver against my Mizuno jpx 900 driver. The Ping G400 was completely stock with the 55 gram shaft. I did not see enough of a difference for me to change. As a matter of fact, if I was demoing both for the first time, I believe I would have picked the Mizuno over the G400. This was based solely on ball flight. The Ping was high as opposed to the Mizuno was mid/high. Everything else was really almost identical.

I will be playing the Mizunos for another year. If the G400 couldn't get me to change, not sure how anything else can.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

As I am slowly and nicely being converted to Mizzy guy, JPX 900 5W, JPX EZF irons and T7 wedges, I wonder if anyone can compare the performance between Nike Vapor Fly driver and JPX 900 driver. From reading the threads above, the performance sounds pretty identical. Mid trajectory, tight dispersion, low spin, head color.....

I tested Cally Epic against Nike Vapor Fly on course and the distance was about the same though Epic flew a lot higher.

Is the price drop on the driver official yet? I've called around to a few golf shops in my area and they're all still selling it at $500. Granted, I'm in Hawaii and they'll try and hold out on manufacturing price drops for as long as possible.

I hit it with a 661 stiff shaft and it was absolutely amazing with one weight on each side of the head. Only thing I hate about custom ordering it is I want to get it cut down to 44.5" and have no clue how that will feel after ordering. No one around here had the shorter shafts.

Is the price drop on the driver official yet? I've called around to a few golf shops in my area and they're all still selling it at $500. Granted, I'm in Hawaii and they'll try and hold out on manufacturing price drops for as long as possible.

I hit it with a 661 stiff shaft and it was absolutely amazing with one weight on each side of the head. Only thing I hate about custom ordering it is I want to get it cut down to 44.5" and have no clue how that will feel after ordering. No one around here had the shorter shafts.

Price drop is official. New retail is $349. New driver coming out later in the year as far as I know. I have no further info on the new model however.

Read this whole thread last night as I had broken a driver shaft on Saturday and was thinking about a replacement. There was one JPX900 demo at my club and I took it out this morning at 7 AM. At 10:30 I was in the pro shop buying it......as long as my Ping Anser but even straighter.....got the 569 in stiff . Was just going to keep the demo for the rest of the week as I am playing like 3 more times by Saturday but the pro offered me a great deal on the demo driver so I said I'll take it!