How do you get rid of the flick/flip instinct? POST 120-UPDATE

martynbirch

The route to greater consistency for me is to avoid flicking at impact. I'm not flipping the club face shut but am stalling and flicking with my right hand.

If no ball is there I can do punisher drill type impact no problem with a good pivot, but when a ball is there my right wrist can't go past without flapping at it and my pivot stalls.

Does flip cause stall or vice versa? Thinking of buying DST as recommended by some but mixed reviews putting me off shelling out for yet another 'miracle cure'

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The route to greater consistency for me is to avoid flicking at impact. I'm not flipping the club face shut but am stalling and flicking with my right hand.

If no ball is there I can do punisher drill type impact no problem with a good pivot, but when a ball is there my right wrist can't go past without flapping at it and my pivot stalls.

Does flip cause stall or vice versa? Thinking of buying DST as recommended by some but mixed reviews putting me off shelling out for yet another 'miracle cure'

You have a fault in your swing that is forcing that move. Eliminate that.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You have a fault in your swing that is forcing that move. Eliminate that.

Agree.

#1 flatten the shaft in transition

#2 accomplish by simultaneously flexing the lead wrist and externally rotating the trail shoulder

#3 open up as hard as you can and regain flexion

In before the inevitable follow ups asking about what flexing wrist means and ERing rt shoulder means even tho it's been discussed hundreds of times.

#2 accomplish by simultaneously flexing the lead wrist and externally rotating the trail shoulder

In before the inevitable follow ups asking about what flexing wrist means and ERing rt shoulder means even tho it's been discussed hundreds of times.

No I think those concepts have been well covered....however we might want to revisit the dual knee external rotation move.

No I think those concepts have been well covered....however we might want to revisit the dual knee external rotation move.

true, everyone knows dual knee er transition is the key to get to scratch and truly the master move.

true, everyone knows dual knee er transition is the key to get to scratch and truly the master move.

It's all ball bearings these days

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

#2 is learning to ignore the ball.

This is quite a big part I feel, learning to get your intent out beyond the ball and not at the ball is huge

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Two thoughts:

1. That is pretty stuck. There are a number of things that can cause it. Without seeing the full swing on video it's hard to diagnose the issue completely.

2. In my opinion, you are too close to the ball. Thus, you're not able to lead with the right elbow or getting the right shoulder working down towards it.

Bend a bit more at the waist and hips in your setup and see where your arms hang. From there bring your hands together and you have your iron/wedge grip location. Then let the club follow it's length and lie angle to the sole and you have your ball position in distance from the body which should allow you to achieve less flips and sticks.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

The flipping motion is vital to creating power and speed in the swing, so eliminating it is one of the worst things you can do. But getting that image at impact with your hands leading, somewhere during the swing you had an error and that caused that look at impact. Always be careful to not remove a vital part of the swing thinking it needs to be fixed, when it's really the effect of something else happening.

The cause of my flip was some excessive early extension. If I didn't flip I'd hit the ball thin and 40 yards right.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The flipping motion is vital to creating power and speed in the swing, so eliminating it is one of the worst things you can do. But getting that image at impact with your hands leading, somewhere during the swing you had an error and that caused that look at impact. Always be careful to not remove a vital part of the swing thinking it needs to be fixed, when it's really the effect of something else happening.

There is a difference between a flip and correct wrist release, which is the right hand rotating over the left. The latter will increase power/distance. I used to do the wrist flip. I hit a decent ball with it, and had some good distance. Could average 250 meters with the driver and hit my wedge a solid 107 meters, on average.

Now with correct wrist release I really get what hogan was saying about being able to come from the inside and just slam it as hard as you want without losing balance. I average over 270 meters with driver and hit my wedge 130 meters (which I don't need to do, but that's just how far it goes now with a correct release). Coming at the ball from the inside with that right elbow tucked in front of the hip, means the old flip will just block it out to the right. A correct release will start the ball out right and draw it back on target.

Damn Hogan, makin' sense again!

Isn't flipping just a result of too early release? Too early release means too early uncocking, and once it uncocks, the left wrist would roll, you can't avoid it. Well, you can, and that's by actively preventing your left wrist to roll. Because of the centrifugal force of the clubhead, your left wrist hs no choice but to flip.

So I think the simple solution is don't release early

Isn't flipping just a result of too early release? Too early release means too early uncocking, and once it uncocks, the left wrist would roll, you can't avoid it. Well, you can, and that's by actively preventing your left wrist to roll. Because of the centrifugal force of the clubhead, your left wrist hs no choice but to flip.

I've found out a flip is an incorrect early release, the wrist are moving side to side as opposed to releasing up and down. Release correctly (up and down) and you can't release too early as Jack said and the right hand naturally rolls over and straightens after impact. The left won't cup at all at impact, that's the tell tale sign of an up and down as opposed to a side to side release, straight left wrist no cup at impact.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I see your point but IMO people run into lots problems because they are trying to release the club on their address plane.

The route to greater consistency for me is to avoid flicking at impact.

Thinking of buying DST as recommended by some but mixed reviews putting me off shelling out for yet another 'miracle cure'

DST may shed some light on the process for you, so might Greg Norman's Secret in the same regard, but before acquiring those, or playing around with what may, or may not be, a swing fault look first to your perceptions on task as a place to start. Sunk's MORAD P6 thread contains a good example. Martin Chuck says the hands "support impact". This suggests, based on Martin's perception, no active role with the hands. Without a hand perception desiring to "cause impact", instead of supporting impact, the body becomes more a leader than follower. The Chuck video:

[media=]

[/media]

Disagree, at least for the majority of flippers. They flip cause if they didn't they wouldn't hit a functional shot or miss the ball altogether. Something has occurred before that makes a compensation necessary.

I practiced the swing thought of "pushing" through the ball at impact. Then at the range I hit balls this way just to keep my brain from letting my shaft head get in front of my hands. Almost like a punch out shot from the rough where you are trying to keep it under some trees.

Then when I would take pitch and chips shots, once I hit the ball, I made more of a follow thru, instead of keeping my arms "out and low", if you can get that visual. This has actually heled my full iron shots and my pitch shots, due to keeping more lag right before, and thru the impact. It's not particularly helpful for the driver swing, but somehow I've been able to keep those two swings separate.