Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I don't if the weather is going to be good enough to play or not, but it looks like I'll be in Greeley most of this week if anyone is playing there and has an open spot.

EDIT: schedule depending on when grandson #2 decides make his debut!

We played Boomerang a month ago, pretty good shape. Got paired with a 72 year old, ex pro. He was fun to watch and a very nice guy to play with.

If the weather cooperates I may try that. I've only played the front side there. Isn't it fun to watch those older, ex pros? Just hit it so solid all the time.

The only fairway he missed was the first hole. After that he usually had a birdie putt, always had a par try. He ended up shooting in the low 70's. Nice guy, knew the course well and was playing his second 18 for the day.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't if the weather is going to be good enough to play or not, but it looks like I'll be in Greeley most of this week if anyone is playing there and has an open spot.

We played Boomerang a month ago, pretty good shape. Got paired with a 72 year old, ex pro. He was fun to watch and a very nice guy to play with.

If the weather cooperates I may try that. I've only played the front side there. Isn't it fun to watch those older, ex pros? Just hit it so solid all the time.

The only fairway he missed was the first hole. After that he usually had a birdie putt, always had a par try. He ended up shooting in the low 70's. Nice guy, knew the course well and was playing his second 18 for the day.

Minus the ex-pro bit (and probably low 70s score), please let this be me in my retirement years.

c45984046e461a83b015679e93bb0b07.jpgc8fa84cddfc781bb109c2fa53696baed.jpg

Had a few moments like this today. I think I learned how to hit better wedges?

Broadlands is a pretty fun course! Greens were exactly as described. Slow, but consistent. I didn’t score particularly well today, but that round was a good reminder why I love the game. Quiet, beautiful weather, and I struck the ball decently. Golf was fun and good today.

That's a heck of a shot. Looks like that's #2 so you started well :). Golf is awesome when we are playing decent. Good rounds make up for the insurmountable frustration of an awful day :).

Hey Colorado guys, any recommendations for a putting lesson in SW Denver? Hoping to do some indoor work this winter.

Closest place is probably Meridian Golf Club with Jerry Walthers.

Amen, this is the best place to go because of the SAM Puttlab. That thing is awesome. I really improved my putting after I got to see my actual numbers with Jerry. I found it so valuable that I want to keep going every year to see what I should work on in the winter.

I got to play the last tournament of the year this last weekend at Highland Hills. If you're going to play any golf in Greeley that's where I would go. The greens are fast and pure.

The tournament was fun. It's primarily a skins game but there is also a 2-man flighted best ball match play going on. There were 7 team flights, 54 holes over two days. They pay the top 7 in points (1 pt for winning a hole, 1/2 for halving). The real money is in the tournament skins though. All 54 holes are played on the back 9. $2000 goes to a tournament skins pot and to win one you have to shoot the lowest number on a hole for the entire weekend. I made 2 on 18 yesterday (a par 4) and didn't even win a day skin. I believe the $2000 was split betwen a 2 on 11 and a 2 on 12 (both par 4s). It was basically a tricked up pins tournament. Just about every single hole was cut within 6' of the right or left edge of the green right on a ridge or some crazy slope. I've never seen so many putts roll off the green before.

Played in some brutal wind Saturday. It was sustained around 30mph, with some extreme gusts. Just stupid to even attempt golfing in.

But I did eagle a hole, first time all year.

DRksIUN.png

A split fairway. I normally lay up the left side with a 3 wood/hybrid, then have about 150 into the green. But being down wind (and having given up keeping score this round), I decided "why not". I was just hoping to clear the wild/native grass and be in the fairway. The card claims the hole is 398, so I didn't think reaching the green was anywhere in my wheelhouse, even with the wind. After a few minutes of searching, finally decided to check up near the green. Low & behold, it was exactly pin high.

DCRFEoV.jpg

Ended up pitching that up, and the wind helped blow it on the correct line, and it dropped. Was a good way to end a pretty frustrating day.

Ooooo we played Murphy Creek Saturday... that wind was brutal!!! It became comical and all you could do is laugh. When all said and done it was a fun round in the end as some perfectly struck shots just went different directions.

Wait… Wait… Wait… “that wind was brutal”?

Worse than Walnut Creek on the Oct. 14th?

If you’re saying it was worse, you played in a cat 5 hurricane. I can’t imagine!

I played Saturday (on the south end of town) and the wind was tough. Nothing like it was at Walnut Creek on the 14th!

I will remember that day for the rest of my life.

Ooooo we played Murphy Creek Saturday... that wind was brutal!!! It became comical and all you could do is laugh. When all said and done it was a fun round in the end as some perfectly struck shots just went different directions.

If you’re saying it was worse, you played in a cat 5 hurricane. I can’t imagine!

I played Saturday (on the south end of town) and the wind was tough. Nothing like it was at Walnut Creek on the 14th!

I seriously doubt that any of us will ever play in wind like that again. But really, anything over about 25mph just does silly things to the ball.

Am I the only one out here that has no family in the area? Anybody want to try and get out and play on Thanksgiving? I get the day off work, and why not play some golf?

I wish. It's the only day I'll have with the wife and baby that week. Not going to happen...but if hell freezes over I'll let you know.

Am I the only one out here that has no family in the area? Anybody want to try and get out and play on Thanksgiving? I get the day off work, and why not play some golf?

You make it sound like that’s the only day off you get this year. :lol:

Thanksgiving dinner is at our house every year and all the family and friends will be here. So, hell yeah, I’d love to play. Count me in.

Before I commit too solidly though, I’d like to see what the forecast is when we get closer to the 23rd. I’m pretty much a wuss when it comes to cold weather.

BTW, I’m off Friday, Saturday and Sunday that weekend as well.

Hello WRX'ers,

I am new to Denver area (Lakewood/Morrison) and would love to join a group this weekend if anyone has a spot open. I haven't been very fortunate with getting paired with normal people of late, and would also enjoy learning more about the area.

I am also new to "winter". I am from San Antonio. I like the idea of indoor practice facilities. If there is one between Lakewood and Westminster area that you recommend, I would appreciate recommendations.

Thank you,

Trent

210-834-9872

[email protected]

Hello WRX'ers,

I am new to Denver area (Lakewood/Morrison) and would love to join a group this weekend if anyone has a spot open. I haven't been very fortunate with getting paired with normal people of late, and would also enjoy learning more about the area.

I am also new to "winter". I am from San Antonio. I like the idea of indoor practice facilities. If there is one between Lakewood and Westminster area that you recommend, I would appreciate recommendations.

Thank you,

Trent

210-834-9872

[email protected]

Welcome to the area! I can only imagine what not getting paired with "normal people" means. Hope you've got some good videos of tantrums, etc if that's what you're getting at.

I can't speak to the indoor practice facility, but I know that in a pinch, you can book time at PGA Tour Superstore off of I-25 at Arapahoe (Centennial) if you're a member of their program that lets you use their back bays. Might be a decent option if there aren't many more. I know Joel speaks highly of Colorado National's, but I think you've got to be a member. I'll let others be a better guide than myself.

Hope you can get out this weekend!

HAHAHA true Walnut Creek was way worse from the velocity / force. Murphy was pretty funny though as the wind would die for a bit and you hit your shot not anticipating the wind to move to the move the ball much, then mid flight it would gust and blow it 20 yards off line. And Vice Versa, playing for the wind and dies soon as you hit and you flush it into the rough/ob... =) At least at Walnut Creek that day you could anticipate the constant wind and just knew it was no going anywhere lol

Given this weekend is my first ever college football game (I went to a DIII school), can someone give me details about tailgating at CU? Where is it located? And what time will it be in full swing if kick-off is at 2pm?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Does anyone know of places you can just rent/use a Trackman? I did the membership at D'Lance for a couple months. Nice to just go and swing...but the laser technology they use for distance/swing speed/etc etc seems super old, outdated, and numbers never seemed accurate. They have Trackman's there for fittings, but not available to use outside of that.

I know Green Valley Ranch offers the use of a Trackman for $100/hour. That seems pretty damn steep. And it's usually windy out there. I'd hate to spend $100 only to go hit balls into a 15mph headwind and all my numbers be irrelevant.

I'd love to just go somewhere, hit 20 balls with every club in my bag, and get a solid, accurate carry distance for each club.

Does anyone know of places you can just rent/use a Trackman? I did the membership at D'Lance for a couple months. Nice to just go and swing...but the laser technology they use for distance/swing speed/etc etc seems super old, outdated, and numbers never seemed accurate. They have Trackman's there for fittings, but not available to use outside of that.

I know Green Valley Ranch offers the use of a Trackman for $100/hour. That seems pretty damn steep. And it's usually windy out there. I'd hate to spend $100 only to go hit balls into a 15mph headwind and all my numbers be irrelevant.

I'd love to just go somewhere, hit 20 balls with every club in my bag, and get a solid, accurate carry distance for each club.

Seems pretty reasonable for $40/hr

I've seen a bunch of ads for the South Broadway Country Club. Haven't been yet but looks fun, plan to head over there at some point this winter to check it out.

https://www.southbroadwaycc.com/

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I've seen a bunch of ads for the South Broadway Country Club. Haven't been yet but looks fun, plan to head over there at some point this winter to check it out.

https://www.southbroadwaycc.com/

In wheat ridge: http://strikergolf.net/

Another place down south: http://swingerssportslounge.com

And up north in Superior: http://golfatfairways.com/

In wheat ridge: http://strikergolf.net/

Another place down south: http://swingerssportslounge.com

And up north in Superior: http://golfatfairways.com/

I met the owner of South Broadway CC when he caddied for a guy during our mid-am qual. Nice guy and he said they have actual Trackmans there and looking at their pricing, not bad of a deal. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the swing and golf, if you want lessons.

Striker is probably the best bet for the northwest side.

Hello WRX'ers,

Thank you,

Trent

210-834-9872

[email protected]

Welcome and I would say if the weather is 40*+ and sunny, you'll want to practice outside. You'll be surprised at 40*+ and sunny will feel like. 50*+ and sunny is almost shorts weather lol. In Westminster, Walnut Creek and Legacy Ridge should have their range on grass all winter. I think you'll be surprised how often you'll be able to play and practice outside.

Thanks for that South Broadway info! I must have missed it the first time it was posted. $40/hour for use of a bay with Trackman?! I know most people will go in to play simulated courses, but I just wanna hit balls and get numbers. I wonder if I can do the Trackman Combine too.

We should get a little ColoradoWRX Combine test going. See who can get the highest score.

Given this weekend is my first ever college football game (I went to a DIII school), can someone give me details about tailgating at CU? Where is it located? And what time will it be in full swing if kick-off is at 2pm?

too funny. i also did d3. mrs mountaintop went to USC. will be my first CU game too. we recently moved to boulder area. good to find this thread!

covert 2.0 driver
baffler rail f 3w, 5w
mp15 4i-p
sm6 50 54 58
8802 milled
chrome soft

re: the fellow asking about northside courses, mens clubs, etc. +1 what all have said. we are spoiled for great golf up here.

my faves and best values

legacy/walnut duo is a great value

riverdale ... i know knolls gets disgarded, and i adore dunes, but knolls is a great value and kept up well

colo national is fantastic... can get crowded

broadlands is cool layout, but its the home of the 5hr round and the greens are SLOW. which isnt end of world, but then go play where they are quicker and you are really adjusting.

ute creek and twin peaks both good. twin peaks used to be publinks quali course... old layout but always great greens

omni is overrated in my opinion... but awesome practice area.

new thorncreek will be cool i bet. huge capital improvements there.

saddleback in firestone is worth a play! field of dreams course.

my honest opinion is that there is so much good public... and in many cases in bettet shape than much of the private especially on northside.

my two favorites are probably riverdale dunes and saddleback.

finally.. avid golfer used to do a passport.. i did it years ago and was a good way to play a bunch of courses. some restrictions tho. better for weekday play generally. i think they would host ur ghin too.

also... there are some good unique mountain tracks... make sure to try some.

take care!!!!

covert 2.0 driver
baffler rail f 3w, 5w
mp15 4i-p
sm6 50 54 58
8802 milled
chrome soft

Thanks for that South Broadway info! I must have missed it the first time it was posted. $40/hour for use of a bay with Trackman?! I know most people will go in to play simulated courses, but I just wanna hit balls and get numbers. I wonder if I can do the Trackman Combine too.

We should get a little ColoradoWRX Combine test going. See who can get the highest score.

Trackman Combine competition would be fun!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

re: the fellow asking about northside courses, mens clubs, etc. +1 what all have said. we are spoiled for great golf up here.

my faves and best values

legacy/walnut duo is a great value

riverdale ... i know knolls gets disgarded, and i adore dunes, but knolls is a great value and kept up well

colo national is fantastic... can get crowded

broadlands is cool layout, but its the home of the 5hr round and the greens are SLOW. which isnt end of world, but then go play where they are quicker and you are really adjusting.

ute creek and twin peaks both good. twin peaks used to be publinks quali course... old layout but always great greens

omni is overrated in my opinion... but awesome practice area.

new thorncreek will be cool i bet. huge capital improvements there.

saddleback in firestone is worth a play! field of dreams course.

my honest opinion is that there is so much good public... and in many cases in bettet shape than much of the private especially on northside.

my two favorites are probably riverdale dunes and saddleback.

finally.. avid golfer used to do a passport.. i did it years ago and was a good way to play a bunch of courses. some restrictions tho. better for weekday play generally. i think they would host ur ghin too.

also... there are some good unique mountain tracks... make sure to try some.

take care!!!!

+1 for Saddleback and Ute! Love playing both those courses.

Trackman Combine competition would be fun!

Well, there was an outing out at GVR...maybe we should get a group of people and rent that place out for a day in the dead of winter? Get a super cold, snowy day and spend it hitting balls indoors while having some beers and a little friendly competition.

Hey All - Played Battlement Mesa again today; course is still in great shape. If anyone has the time this weekend it's worth the drive from Denver imo; $39 with cart. Stay in Glenwood Springs and soak in the hot springs after golf - would be a great weekend!

Anyway - might be my last real round this year :( depending on weather the next few weeks. I got home and decided it's definitely time to clean out the golf closet a bit. So I've got some items to give away - free! I'll split shipping with whoever takes any items. Hope this isn't against the site terms - but I just want to donate to golfers as opposed to the thrift store.

Pics 1 & 2) Ballyneal hat - Under Armour - Small/Medium Fitted - way too big for me; so only worn the day I was at Ballyneal as I left my overnight bag in Glenwood that weekend; had to buy a whole outfit to wear and a toothbrush - hilarious.

3) Black & Volt Nike Polo - Size Medium: Gone

4) Teal Nike Polo - Size Large:

5) White & Blue Oakley Polo - Size Large (River Valley Ranch - RVR logo on sleeve):

6) Turquoise? Nike Polo - Size Large:

7) Blue Nike Polo - Size Large:

8) Black Kikkor shorts - Size 34:

9) Black Nike shorts - Size 34:

10) Gray Under Armour Half Sleeve Wind Jacket - Size Medium:

Post here or PM if you're interested in any of the items. I'll ship Monday morning from Glenwood and we can settle up for 1/2 the shipping after I get actual amounts and you get the gear.

Thanks - James

Hey All - Played Battlement Mesa again today; course is still in great shape. If anyone has the time this weekend it's worth the drive from Denver imo; $39 with cart. Stay in Glenwood Springs and soak in the hot springs after golf - would be a great weekend!

Never been out there, but I'm sure I've seen the course while driving past on 70. Is that $39 with a cart just Monday-Friday? Their website says $53 for weekend 18, with an additional $16 for a cart. Looks absolutely beautiful, but I don't know if I could do a 6 hour round trip drive for a round of golf.

Also...I want that medium Nike!