SuperSpeed Golf training system

I don't know if it is the winter air temperature and/or confines of my garage, but I've found the same thing recently.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I warmup inside in my makeshift basement gym. I think it is just a combination of cold, layers, and maybe a subconscious mental block to go all-out around tools, cars, garage door equipment, etc. even though I know I have plenty of room.

Taylormade TP5

I have a similar issue with blue ssr. I thought it had more to do with release point in swing. Do you move your ssr in your stance when changing left/righty? I find I have to position mine at 30* facing into direction of follow through to get reliable/repeatable measurements. Maybe I should try replacing batteries too.

I started using SSG in December, I am currently in phase 2 protocol.

I am slender build (5'9, 135lbs). I have always struggled with driver. My SS averages on tracman have increased from 91 to 98, with max of 104. My 4i avg is 88 and 7i is 85.

My current max green club speed on SSR is 132, blue 124,red 114.

I cant help but feel that my driver swing speed slows down considerably compared to what I am doing with SSG clubs and the difference between 4i and driver is low.

Anyone else have these same problems? What kind of correlation do you guys see between the SSG clubs and driver SS?

I know an article on mygolfspy said I should be swinging by driver approximately 5mph slower than the red club.

I will say what ended up helping was my club fitting. My driver was the same swing weight as my 3 wood (D3). Changing to a D6 swing weight made it super easy to get my speed “realized” into an actual ball.

I hit 290 into the wind today on a miss. My miss is 250 carry when my max effort used to be 230.

Train, practice, and get fit.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Thanks. That makes sense, it could be swing weight/flex combo. I dont know my driver swing weight, but would guess its lower than my other clubs. I will confirm and get fitted. Last year I was playing an A flex Fujikura pro 50 with king f8 head, which is a bit whippy but I loved the soft shaft and heavy head feel . This winter i have been playing a 60g hazardous smoke stiff shaft with same head for lower spin but I dont think Im loading it properly, even with new swing speed.

I went from 62 grams to 74 in the driver and stiff to a very butt stout X. Still need to develop consistency on delivery of the speed, mainly because the fairways are muddy in Florida and often carry is all I can count on so I can go from 250 on a miss on a soggy drive to 290 when I center one and can find at least some roll.

I wish I felt sorry for you playing in florida but I dont! I'm swinging in my garage in southern ontario. This morning was -3*C.

What is your swing speed with driver, and what were your max SS with the SSG clubs?

The max effort 230 carry sounds like my old 91-93mph swing.

I'm guessing guessing you are now in the 110-115 range?

• Like 1

I fluctuate between 108-112. When I did my Bridgestone ball fitting at the PGA Show I was feeling frisky and averaging a nice 114.

Started at 89-91 in October.

Adding the gym and yoga to the mix on Monday.

I wouldn't recommend that. They advise:

Do not perform more than 3 days per weekTake one full rest day between sessionsIf you're going all-out each swing of the Protocol, it is quite straining on your body. I have been doing it every three days, allowing two full days rest in between. So that is 2-3X per week. Caveat, I'm also in the gym 3X per week as well.

Taylormade TP5

I really recommend 3 days a week with the middle stick. I only got to 124 with the middle stick, but that has turned into a pretty solid 108-112 swing. I do a lot of 5 ball set long drive work. I think that has been super important to turning my gains into actualized gains.

Hoping that with better flexibility and fitness I can start the road to 120.

I once tried doing it multiple days in a row. My speed was slowly decreasing each time I did it. Once I went back to 2 or 3 times a week with at least a day rest in between, my speed came back and each session felt more productive.

I personally don't find Superspeed taxing physically, but I think it does tax the neurological system enough that it needs rest. In fact if my schedule would force be to do two days in a row, I would skip the second day and just have a longer rest in between sessions.

I am having an issue that I think may be incorrect readings with the swingspeed radar. With the lighest superspeed stick, the highest swingspeed radar speed has been 82 mph. While I'm not the fastest swinger like the rest of the WRXers, my average 7 iron on Trackman is above 82 mph, and my driver is consistently above 98 mph, up to about 103 mph. No matter how hard I swing, i can't get the swingspeed radar to get above 82. It's a bit discouraging, even though logically I know I am not swinging that slow.

I know this will offend many, but quit swinging the green and the red, and just swing the blue, and with a lot fewer reps. IF you are someone who can benefit from the SS approach (not all can, and I'm one of them) then that will do it. The use of a much lighter stick, and especially of a heavier stick, have not been shown to be beneficial relative to only using a stick of similar weight to your actual driver. SS is selling sticks, and they make more money selling more sticks; that doesn't mean that it's the best way to use speed training.

Ok, boys; fire away!

• Like 1

Same thing is happening to me. Swing speed on Trackman with driver this winter was around 108-110, and 6 iron was consistently 95-96 MPH. I cannot get the swingspeed radar above 101 mph with green, blue, or red stick no matter what I do. Changing batteries did not help, so it is either the cold garage or I just have a dud radar, but it is frustrating.

[b]Driver[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X[/color]
[b]Fairway Wood: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X[/color]
[b]Hybrid[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S[/color]
[b]4-9 iron[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color] 
[b]PW, GW[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color]
[b]Sand, Lob[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue[/color]
[b]Putter[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab[/color] 
[b]Ball[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX

How cold is your garage?

Minimum operating temperature is 40-110 deg F for both the red and blue swing speed sensors and it shouldn't be stored at temps under 32 deg F. (Operating specs are on page 7 (blue) and page 11 (red) of the respective manuals. The blue manual is here.)

Were the new batteries you swapped in stored at room temperature? Or were those kept in the garage, too? Storing batteries in colder temps can also impact their performance, and it seems that these radars are very sensitive to how much power the batteries can output. However, for batteries that are stored at room temperature, I wouldn't expect them being in colder temps for 10-15 minutes at a time would have a huge impact, except that they might not last as long.

That said, even though the minimum operating temp for the radar is 40 deg F, that doesn't necessarily mean that it should be expected to be as accurate in those temps. I'd imagine the "optimal" operating temps is probably higher than that, so the closer you get to 40 deg F, the less accurate I'd expect it to be. Given how inexpensive these radars are, I would not be surprised if some shortcuts were made in the underlying electronics that reduces their performance at lower temps.

Either way, I'd try to keep the radar stored at room temperature when it's not in use and I highly doubt anything on the radar was damaged even if your garage dipped below freezing.

I've had the same problem. The garage is my only place to swing at home and I'm definitely slower than I would be in the summer. Does that mean it's a waste of time? Or will, say a 10 mph increase to cold slow swings translate to swinging 10 mph faster than your warm weather swing? I have gone from 105 to 115 in the first few weeks of protocol 1 with the blue stick (all in 40* garage temp). Is the 115 all the faster I've trained myself to swing even when it warms up?

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Got the C Trainer in today and did my first session with it. It feels really light due to the weight distribution. One thing I noticed was how fast you can swing it. I train only with the blue stick from the superspeed overspeed set and I typically swing it in low 130's and I was able to hit 150 with the C Trainer. Something I've never done before even with the green stick (145 was my highest ever). Looking forward to see if it will increase my speed.

C-trainer is a new product offered by Super Speed Golf. You can find it on their website.

I am jumping back into this because I would like more distance offf the tee. I am going to use the "blue stick only" method. For me, the step-swings are always slower than regular swings. To me, that means they are counter productive so I am not doing those anymore. I'm now doing 5 swings regular, 5 swing weak side, then rest for two mins. I keep repeating this until my speeds drop. If I keep hitting my high number, I keep going. Once several swings are a few mph slower, I'm done. I do this no more than 3 times a week. If I start a workout and I am slow (assuming I'm fully warmed up) then I quit and try another day. Practicing slow speeds only makes you slow IMO.

The other part that I think is really important is that I practice swinging hard while hitting balls (using a SSR). I will do six balls, then rest for two mins, then do six more. Again, once my speed drops, I'm done.

I've just started doing this and my speeds are climbing with each workout.

Thanks GolfChannel for the detailed info about your program and progress. The spreadsheet was very helpful.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a waste of time but you are possibly more prone to injury. Your muscles and ligaments are tighter imo which might cause easier injury. I still swing in the winter to keep what I have. I just go out to the garage and make sure I can still hit my numbers, it just takes me more consecutive swings to get there than it would in the summer and I take fewer so I don't hurt myself.

Playing sim golf in the winter is where I really see it. I cool down enough between shots and never really get up to "operating temp" body wise. Every single shot therefore is nerfed from the cold for me.

Swing hard in case you hit it!