2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger seen extensively testing mizuno irons, Callaway woods

I find it hard to believe that Tiger, Rory, or any other pga pro for that matter is not getting any money for playing an oem's clubs. Whether or not that gets subtracted from what Nike owes them IMO doesn't matter as they aren't getting locked into long term deals. They are making the same amount either way. I just don't see Tiger or Rory giving free advertising without some sort of kick backs. Unless they feel they need the good karma!!!!

And I find it hard to believe that Callaway would pay Rory and not mention him anywhere online or in their marketing.

They don't have to. They haven't said one word and Rory using callaway is plastered all over the Internet. Just like whatever clubs Tiger decides on will be all over the place. The oem's know this and realize it's better advertising than anything they could dream up. Pay them some money if they decide to play your clubs. Then just sit back and watch everybody talk about it. Now I understand the whole nike paying them and having to repay what they make but who is to say there aren't ways around.

Name a single time that a player got paid but the company did not use them in their advertising.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that Tiger, Rory, or any other pga pro for that matter is not getting any money for playing an oem's clubs. Whether or not that gets subtracted from what Nike owes them IMO doesn't matter as they aren't getting locked into long term deals. They are making the same amount either way. I just don't see Tiger or Rory giving free advertising without some sort of kick backs. Unless they feel they need the good karma!!!!

And I find it hard to believe that Callaway would pay Rory and not mention him anywhere online or in their marketing.

They don't have to. They haven't said one word and Rory using callaway is plastered all over the Internet. Just like whatever clubs Tiger decides on will be all over the place. The oem's know this and realize it's better advertising than anything they could dream up. Pay them some money if they decide to play your clubs. Then just sit back and watch everybody talk about it. Now I understand the whole nike paying them and having to repay what they make but who is to say there aren't ways around.

Name a single time that a player got paid but the company did not use them in their advertising.

How about all the players using titleist balls. You telling me that every player using one is in an advertisement. I don't remember seeing a commercial or anything showing every single one. Don't get me wrong I have no clue if they are paying him or not and I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing match. I was just simply stating my thoughts on the matter as were you. I can't prove they are just as much as you can't prove they aren't.

There is quite a bit of difference between paying the player tee up money and signing the player to a paid endorsement deal where a company has the right to use the players name and likeness in their marketing.

For examples, you need look no further than all the players who played TaylorMade drivers but whose names were never used in press releases after a win (e.g., Luke Donald a few years back). Those players almost certainly got something for playing TM clubs that week, but they had no endorsement contract with TaylorMade so their name/likeness could not be used. Now compare that situation to guys like Paul Casey and Smylie Kaufman who signed woods deals with TaylorMade this year. TaylorMade can and has used them in their advertising this year.

Callaway would have shouted from rooftops if they had signed Rory to an endorsement deal, so it's pretty obvious they haven't. That doesn't mean he isn't getting a small kickback for playing their stuff, though.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

I think it's fair to surmise that Rory isn't getting paid by Callaway right now because he is still fishing for the best deal. NoLayingUp alluded to this in a previous thread, saying also that Rory is tinkering. It makes perfect sense - why would you tell Callaway you love their product before they pay you to say that? It lessens your leverage. I think in fact he does love it, but says he is tinkering to keep Cally honest. Now, with regard to the Nike contract, I'm sure his agent could work out a deal with Nike such that Rory is paid to wear Nike clothes and play Cally clubs, while increasing his bottom line above the all-in 10M that Nike is paying him now. Heck, if you tell Nike "I'll wear your duds for 6 mill and tell Cally I'll play your clubs and give you bag rights for 6 mill", I think both companies may take that deal.

Why did Rory change? His Nike VR pro blades were made exactly to his spec yet he has moved. And I'm sure a few other Nike iron players have changed irons.

Rory switched irons because he switched to the Pro V1x and it spun too much with the nike irons.

“I want to play the new ProV1x ball and I know the Callaway driver works the best with it. I also know my Nike irons don’t work as well with the Titleist ball because of the groove format. Too spinny, and a loss of distance,” McIlroy told No Laying Up in late December.

http://nolayingup.com/2016/12/31/rory-mcilroy-callaway/

If it is truly for every dollar that Rory, Tiger, etc. makes from a manufacturer is a dollar is taken off of the NIKE contract they'd be nuts to sign a deal. Why would they want to have more sponsor commitments for the same money? I could see the new contract relieving NIKE say 75 cents on the dollar. NIKE will be getting advertising exposure if Tiger or Rory are in commercials for Callaway wearing NIKE gear.

It will be interesting to see how club advertising will be handled with Woods, Day, Rory since all wear Nike clothing and all of the equipment being tested except for Mizuno also promote clothing to a large extent. Still nothing on TaylorMade being sold so still Adidas and Callaway has their own clothing. First up would be Day since he signed on with TM and Nike.

Why did Rory change? His Nike VR pro blades were made exactly to his spec yet he has moved. And I'm sure a few other Nike iron players have changed irons.

Rory switched irons because he switched to the Pro V1x and it spun too much with the nike irons.

“I want to play the new ProV1x ball and I know the Callaway driver works the best with it. I also know my Nike irons don’t work as well with the Titleist ball because of the groove format. Too spinny, and a loss of distance,” McIlroy told No Laying Up in late December.

http://nolayingup.com/2016/12/31/rory-mcilroy-callaway/

Maybe a dumb question, or one for FairwayFred, but couldn't they just mill any groove pattern into a Nike blade that they wanted to? Lame excuse or not do-able?

"I want to play the new ProV1x ball and I know the Callaway driver works the best with it. I also know my Nike irons don't work as well with the Titleist ball because of the groove format. Too spinny, and a loss of distance," McIlroy told No Laying Up in late December.

http://nolayingup.co...ilroy-callaway/

Maybe a dumb question, or one for FairwayFred, but couldn't they just mill any groove pattern into a Nike blade that they wanted to? Lame excuse or not do-able?

Who are they?

"I want to play the new ProV1x ball and I know the Callaway driver works the best with it. I also know my Nike irons don't work as well with the Titleist ball because of the groove format. Too spinny, and a loss of distance," McIlroy told No Laying Up in late December.

Who are they?

Do they travel in pairs?

Who are they?

Alas, with one quick stroke you've exposed the weakness in my argument.

If Nike was still making clubs they could mill the grooves that Rory needs. But they are not making equipment so that wasn't possible.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Who are they?

Alas, with one quick stroke you've exposed the weakness in my argument.

Sorry, but it is one of my superpowers. :superman:

How about all the players using titleist balls. You telling me that every player using one is in an advertisement. I don't remember seeing a commercial or anything showing every single one .....

HERE YA GO

Trust me ... This is coordinated and by design

And where are the players names again? That is no different then taylormade's driver count yet it makes no mention of who the players are.

How about all the players using titleist balls. You telling me that every player using one is in an advertisement. I don't remember seeing a commercial or anything showing every single one. Don't get me wrong I have no clue if they are paying him or not and I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing match. I was just simply stating my thoughts on the matter as were you. I can't prove they are just as much as you can't prove they aren't.

Actually, at the least, each of them are named on the Titleist website as staff members.

I just checked their website and they claim 2017 worldwide ball count is 1,223 but their website only list 705 across all tours. So where are the other 518 listed?

You would have to ask them. But we are not talking about players at the level of Rory.

I am asking you since you said each of them are named on the titleist website as staff memebers. But you are right they aren't at the level or Rory. I am sorry but until I see proof that Rory or any other big name golfer is using clubs without getting some sort of kickback from it, I will think they are. I am sure they sent him the clubs for nothing to test out just to get people talking about him testing them. It is no different then Tiger testing mizuno irons. I bet he didn't call mizuno and say let me help you with some advertising, here is $2,000 build me a set to test.

I just checked their website and they claim 2017 worldwide ball count is 1,223 but their website only list 705 across all tours. So where are the other 518 listed?

You would have to ask them. But we are not talking about players at the level of Rory.

I am asking you since you said each of them are named on the titleist website as staff memebers. But you are right they aren't at the level or Rory. I am sorry but until I see proof that Rory or any other big name golfer is using clubs without getting some sort of kickback from it, I will think they are. I am sure they sent him the clubs for nothing to test out just to get people talking about him testing them. It is no different then Tiger testing mizuno irons. I bet he didn't call mizuno and say let me help you with some advertising, here is $2,000 build me a set to test.

Ok. You win. You are king of the golf internet blogs.

It seems to be the case that if they sign a deal with a manufacture the yearly earnings from that contract will just be subtracted from what Nike has to pay them for that year. That would mean they would be on the same money anyway! Although it's hard to be certain of the finer details of any deals.

This spread like crazy on WRX with zero confirmation from Nike or anyone in the know. People were just guessing and then everyone took it as true. If this was the case, no one would have any incentive to sign a new deal, yet Henley, Paul Casey, and most others have signed on with other companies for clubs. If they were still getting paid the same, they wouldn't bother with the hassle. I heard from the same source that what is being described on wrx is not the case at all, and this is the same source that told me Jason Day reupped with taylormade for a ridiculous amount as well as signed with Nike before anyone even knew he had a new deal with Taylormade. No chance these guys are making the same money as if they didn't sign elsewhere. Makes zero sense

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

It seems to be the case that if they sign a deal with a manufacture the yearly earnings from that contract will just be subtracted from what Nike has to pay them for that year. That would mean they would be on the same money anyway! Although it's hard to be certain of the finer details of any deals.

This spread like crazy on WRX with zero confirmation from Nike or anyone in the know. People were just guessing and then everyone took it as true. If this was the case, no one would have any incentive to sign a new deal, yet Henley, Paul Casey, and most others have signed on with other companies for clubs. If they were still getting paid the same, they wouldn't bother with the hassle. I heard from the same source that what is being described on wrx is not the case at all, and this is the same source that told me Jason Day reupped with taylormade for a ridiculous amount as well as signed with Nike before anyone even knew he had a new deal with Taylormade. No chance these guys are making the same money as if they didn't sign elsewhere. Makes zero sense

Perhaps they did not have the same contract as Rory or perhaps their club deal with Nike had expired.

Yeah I noticed that post earlier, unsure as to whether or not it is a commercial shoot.

Any idea if he's hitting '17 m1/m2 or is it the same '16 m2?

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff