2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger seen extensively testing mizuno irons, Callaway woods

We will see but from what I have heard it is the MP5s that Tiger has been testing. What you don't seem to understand is Mizuno can make the MP5s look however Tiger wants. The muscle shape on the MP5 is different from the MP4 and since they stay with raw heads and grind them to the players spec they are not restricted by the shape of the retail iron. They won't have too much offset, or too thick a topline etc.

Exactly. Mizuno making it whatever they want then is not the mp5. It's a prototype mizuno. This is exactly my point, it is not the mp5. Now if it's the SAME cad model from the mp5 and grinded down then I'm wrong but I highly doubt he would choose the mp5 route. This what you don't seem to understand.

So if the Mizuno Yoro Department takes a set of raw MP5 forgings and grinds them to Tigers specs they are no longer MP5s? See the thread I just posted in the Equipment forum about my custom ground Yoro MP5s. Are those no longer MP5s because they are ground to my specs and look different from the retail ones at address? All the retail ones are hand ground also from the same raw heads they are just ground to the same shape and specs over and over. If all your trying to say is you think Tiger is more likely to have them start with a raw set of MP4s and grind them to his specs rather than a raw set of MP5s maybe you are right however I have heard the MP5 is the model that they used to make the clubs he is testing. I do know a couple people in the industry.

Incorrect.

If they are a raw set of mp5's then they are mp5's. This has nothing to do with custom specs. All my previous college reps from Mikey Dunphy from Cleveland, Jim Ahern Titleist, etc. did build us custom clubs.

What I am saying is I don't believe he will use the mp5's as a base and then tweak them.

Ok fair enough. What I am saying is that I have been told from people who would know that he is testing custom MP5s not MP4s or some prototype blade. With the Yoro Department they can make him a set ground to his visual preferences based on any head so he wouldn't rule out the MP5 due to too much offset or thick topline or whatever because they would make his set look exactly how he wants.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents - I don't think he will be using the MP-5, regardless of any customization. He hasn't used anything other than what we would all call a "traditional" blade.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Interesting and thanks.

And yet guys here keep talking about "hand forged" blades

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

No way he goes to callaway imo, Phil is main guy for callaway

At the moment its Rory :o

you've presented Callaway's main issue...no one moved the needle. the biggest PM equipment news was him spray painting an RBZ years ago - enter an unpaid Rors.

if Tiger puts an EPIC in play without a contract - watch out...

let's just hope they quit spray painting putters black and white and bring a quality insert a true emperors robe.

Does anyone really believe Callaway is not paying Rory?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

you've presented Callaway's main issue...no one moved the needle. the biggest PM equipment news was him spray painting an RBZ years ago - enter an unpaid Rors.

let's just hope they quit spray painting putters black and white and bring a quality insert a true emperors robe.

Let's think about it a different way. Rory has not signed a club endorsement deal with Callaway. He has no incentive to do it and seems smart enough to realize that. He is getting paid by Nike until his contract runs out.

What would be the point in looking for money from Callaway?

Anything they pay him gets deducted from his Nike money. Just keep cashing Nike checks until he finds exactly what he wants, then maybe sign a deal.

Dude has more money than he can spend already....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Isn't he extensively testing everything?

He's a ho. Oh wait.

He is certainly extensively testing new "girlfriends". :cheesy:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

What would be the point in looking for money from Callaway?

Anything they pay him gets deducted from his Nike money. Just keep cashing Nike checks until he finds exactly what he wants, then maybe sign a deal.

Dude has more money than he can spend already....

First time I have seen this. Is it confirmed to be true?

It has been widely documented on many threads already that any Nike staffer will continue to get paid by Nike the full money from their contracts until they expire but they are free to use any equipment! If they sign a deal with anyone for equipment then that money will be deducted from what Nike has to pay the player! Considering this Makes no sense for any Nike staffer to sign a deal unless they find something they love and are happy to commit to a deal!

It has been widely documented on many threads already that any Nike staffer will continue to get paid by Nike the full money from their contracts until they expire but they are free to use any equipment! If they sign a deal with anyone for equipment then that money will be deducted from what Nike has to pay the player! Considering this Makes no sense for any Nike staffer to sign a deal unless they find something they love and are happy to commit to a deal!

If it is nded true then I might change my mind On Rory getting paid by Callaway.

I find it hard to believe that Tiger, Rory, or any other pga pro for that matter is not getting any money for playing an oem's clubs. Whether or not that gets subtracted from what Nike owes them IMO doesn't matter as they aren't getting locked into long term deals. They are making the same amount either way. I just don't see Tiger or Rory giving free advertising without some sort of kick backs. Unless they feel they need the good karma!!!!

So if Tiger buys all the golf OEMs, then he can choose what he wants everyone else to play, and rebrand as TigerWoodsSignature aka TGS collection.

I see his strategy now, so better get while getting is good otherwise we'll all be playing TGS in the future...what will a golf Ho do then?

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

So if Tiger buys all the golf OEMs, then he can choose what he wants everyone else to play, and rebrand as TigerWoodsSignature aka TGS collection.

I see his strategy now, so better get while getting is good otherwise we'll all be playing TGS in the future...what will a golf Ho do then?

The real question coming out of this strategy will be whether Tiger is willing to give himself a club deal and for how much. Signing himself to a long term deal might not be good business.

My two cents - I don't think he will be using the MP-5, regardless of any customization. He hasn't used anything other than what we would all call a "traditional" blade.

That's right. No point in using an mp5 and then changing the specs totally when there are other mizuno models or future ones in production that fit Tiger's specs better.

I find it hard to believe that Tiger, Rory, or any other pga pro for that matter is not getting any money for playing an oem's clubs. Whether or not that gets subtracted from what Nike owes them IMO doesn't matter as they aren't getting locked into long term deals. They are making the same amount either way. I just don't see Tiger or Rory giving free advertising without some sort of kick backs. Unless they feel they need the good karma!!!!

And I find it hard to believe that Callaway would pay Rory and not mention him anywhere online or in their marketing.

Well, the MP-5 is due for replacement this fall. Why not get your prototypes into Tiger's hand and make something he loves hoping he games it and you release it in the Fall hoping he finds his magic with your club like he did to start his career?

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

I thought I read that if a Nike staffer signs a deal with another OEM then they get paid by Nike and the other OEM and then pay Nike back that amount they were paid by the other OEM. So it would be a partial pain to sign with another OEM while getting paid by Nike. The money stays the same but that added step would be a pain in the arse. Especially if there are any bonus or something, let's say if they win a major or something. Now you have additional monies to throw into the mix.

Just keep getting paid by Nike, play whatever fits you the best and have the best of both worlds.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Well, the MP-5 is due for replacement this fall. Why not get your prototypes into Tiger's hand and make something he loves hoping he games it and you release it in the Fall hoping he finds his magic with your club like he did to start his career?

I think that they MP-4 would - possibly - be up for replacement.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Yeah it makes sense just to take the money from Nike, test and game what you like and not sign any equipment deal for now! Come Torrey pines next week, is tiger gaming Nike irons or mizuno irons? What you think guys?

Nike spent so much time and effort to make his irons to his exact and specific standards and specifications, that I would be surprised if he simply switched to something else until he was quite certain that it was exactly what he wanted.

Whoever the new OEM is, they will essentially rebuild that Nike iron to what he wants and put their name on it.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

That's right. No point in using an mp5 and then changing the specs totally when there are other mizuno models or future ones in production that fit Tiger's specs better.

You truly do not understand the process here. There is no changing specs. Tigers Mizunos start out as extra heavy raw heads and are hand ground to his specs no matter what raw head they start with. The main difference between the MP5 and MP4 raw head is the COG location. When Mizuno decided to offer both at the same time they decided to make the retail sets of MP5s that they sold have a little more offset, a thicker topline and a little longer heel to toe to provide a little product differentiation between 2 muscle backs being offered at the same time. They could have just as easily made the MP5 w a thin topline, less offset etc just like they did for Tiger (and for me). Again I'm speaking as someone who has some first hand knowledge of the process of making clubs like this and as someone who has spoken to multiple people with direct knowledge of the situation who have told me the Mizunos Tiger has been testing are made from MP5 raw heads.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

You truly do not understand the process here. There is no changing specs. Tigers Mizunos start out as extra heavy raw heads and are hand ground to his specs no matter what raw head they start with. The main difference between the MP5 and MP4 raw head is the COG location. When Mizuno decided to offer both at the same time they decided to make the retail sets of MP5s that they sold have a little more offset, a thicker topline and a little longer heel to toe to provide a little product differentiation between 2 muscle backs being offered at the same time. They could have just as easily made the MP5 w a thin topline, less offset etc just like they did for Tiger (and for me). Again I'm speaking as someone who has some first hand knowledge of the process of making clubs like this and as someone who has spoken to multiple people with direct knowledge of the situation who have told me Tigers Mizunos are made from MP5 heads.

This statement is dead on. Tiger's blades would not start with any designated set(MP-4 or 5). His blades will resemble whichever model they stamp on the back, and that's pretty much it. Tiger does not choose a head shape from a company's models and play that. He doesn't choose a model and have it adapted to his liking. They start with a raw heavy head and grind it.

MP irons come out every other year. This year is set to be the next MP. If it's the MP 6 or something else Tiger might be testing it out. The mp5's would have too much offset and too big of a face for him.

In other news met with a callaway rep today and he said Mcilroy's MB irons will be released in Summer 2017 to the public. And no he is not on contract but gets paid on a per event basis like every other player competing in a PGA tour event that does not have a contract.

Epic, 40% of pros will be using it vs the sub zero. If you didn't like the m1/m2 clubs (low spining in general) you will not like the Epic sub zero. I tried 3 different m1/m2 drivers and just didn't work and no surprise, the Epic is better off for me.

I did play Div 1 golf and played in multiple US ams, juniors and 1 mid am. Just stating the differences between the drivers.

Mizuno can make Tiger a set of custom MP5s that look however he wants. Less offset, thinner topline, smaller head etc no problem.

MP irons come out every other year. This year is set to be the next MP. If it's the MP 6 or something else Tiger might be testing it out. The mp5's would have too much offset and too big of a face for him.

In other news met with a callaway rep today and he said Mcilroy's MB irons will be released in Summer 2017 to the public. And no he is not on contract but gets paid on a per event basis like every other player competing in a PGA tour event that does not have a contract.

Epic, 40% of pros will be using it vs the sub zero. If you didn't like the m1/m2 clubs (low spining in general) you will not like the Epic sub zero. I tried 3 different m1/m2 drivers and just didn't work and no surprise, the Epic is better off for me.

I did play Div 1 golf and played in multiple US ams, juniors and 1 mid am. Just stating the differences between the drivers.

Mizuno can make Tiger a set of custom MP5s that look however he wants. Less offset, thinner topline, smaller head etc no problem.

So...the MP4s?...the point people are making is the MP5 is not a club Tiger would play with based on his previous clubs...The only scenario where your post makes sense is where Tiger requests Mizuno to take MP4s, 14s, or 33s etc and has them stamp them MP5...but who knows maybe MP5 is his favorite letter number combo

Exactly. The mp4 or his previous mizuno setup of short irons mp14 and long irons mp29's would be his desire. Excited to see the Mizuno MP this fall since the mp5 was a dropoff from the mp4's as evidenced by the # of clubs in play on the pro tours.

And I find it hard to believe that Callaway would pay Rory and not mention him anywhere online or in their marketing.

They don't have to. They haven't said one word and Rory using callaway is plastered all over the Internet. Just like whatever clubs Tiger decides on will be all over the place. The oem's know this and realize it's better advertising than anything they could dream up. Pay them some money if they decide to play your clubs. Then just sit back and watch everybody talk about it. Now I understand the whole nike paying them and having to repay what they make but who is to say there aren't ways around.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2VYA1BXAAQTQUZ.jpg

Pictures on twspot twitter feed reports tiger held clinic at medalist. Was using taylormade woods and Nike irons and wedges. Looks like m1/m2 fairway wood in hand. Apparently also shot taylormade commercial also!

No changes since the last tourney, very interesting.

You truly do not understand the process here. There is no changing specs. Tigers Mizunos start out as extra heavy raw heads and are hand ground to his specs no matter what raw head they start with. The main difference between the MP5 and MP4 raw head is the COG location. When Mizuno decided to offer both at the same time they decided to make the retail sets of MP5s that they sold have a little more offset, a thicker topline and a little longer heel to toe to provide a little product differentiation between 2 muscle backs being offered at the same time. They could have just as easily made the MP5 w a thin topline, less offset etc just like they did for Tiger (and for me). Again I'm speaking as someone who has some first hand knowledge of the process of making clubs like this and as someone who has spoken to multiple people with direct knowledge of the situation who have told me Tigers Mizunos are made from MP5 heads.

This statement is dead on. Tiger's blades would not start with any designated set(MP-4 or 5). His blades will resemble whichever model they stamp on the back, and that's pretty much it. Tiger does not choose a head shape from a company's models and play that. He doesn't choose a model and have it adapted to his liking. They start with a raw heavy head and grind it.

I absolutely agree - my point (and my personal thought) is that he won't be playing something that looks like an MP-5. They (whoever the OEM is) could stamp ham sandwich on it, but historically he hasn't used anything that isn't a traditional looking blade. The MP-5 does not fit that bill.

He very well may be testing something that looks like an MP-5 based upon the above. Not my point, though.

Tigers Mizunos start out as extra heavy raw heads and are hand ground to his specs no matter what raw head they start with.

Exactly.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x