2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I really want to like Wilson Golf but...

jas904

Imagine if they took the time and money they invested in Driver vs. Driver and focused instead on their website? Then maybe the consumer could get actual information about their new products. Novel concept, I know.

Nice point of view!

Here's another.... What is one of the fastest growing and largest sources of information on new clubs? YouTube. Yet reviews on Wilson Staff products are nowhere to be found. Check Crossfield or Shiels. They review all the other major OEM releases, but nothing from WS. The reason isn't because they are bias against WS, it is simply because WS doesn't send them the clubs. Mind-boggling. Even worse when one considers that WS market share is much higher in the UK and Europe than in the US. But, hey, do another THP event that pampers 12 guys.

Googled reviews and there's plenty. Try a little harder lol!

Imagine if they took the time and money they invested in Driver vs. Driver and focused instead on their website? Then maybe the consumer could get actual information about their new products. Novel concept, I know.

Nice point of view!

Here's another.... What is one of the fastest growing and largest sources of information on new clubs? YouTube. Yet reviews on Wilson Staff products are nowhere to be found. Check Crossfield or Shiels. They review all the other major OEM releases, but nothing from WS. The reason isn't because they are bias against WS, it is simply because WS doesn't send them the clubs. Mind-boggling. Even worse when one considers that WS market share is much higher in the UK and Europe than in the US. But, hey, do another THP event that pampers 12 guys.

Googled reviews and there's plenty. Try a little harder lol!

The major players on YouTube do not review WS. I'm specifically talking about guys like Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels. Whatever you think of them, they get a ton of traffic. A club review gets 20,000+ views. WS products are nowhere to be found on their channels.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Nice point of view!

LMAO, yea, like I'm in any position to insult guys at Staff and I can't even respond on a friggin golf board, lol.

That YouTube video is a great idea!

Is producing one of those videos expensive?

All the Best,

RP

My suggestion is not for WS to produce YouTube content (which they already do in a limited fashion), but get their clubs in the hands of those that make golf YouTube videos as part of their living. Specially, I'm talking about two guys in the UK that have built a huge following, mainly in part by doing club reviews. Over 350,000 followers, that's a lot of golfers. And, these guys are always doing club reviews. Basically, name an OEM, they have reviewed their current product line. Sans one, WS.

Love them or hate them, golfers are seeking out their opinion. So, not having them review your clubs is a major mistake. Just another marketing issue for WS. But to answer your question, total cost to ship clubs from WS UK distributor to these guys.... Likely a couple hundred euros at most, haha.

Have a good night!

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Do yourself a favor and get on board with a golf company that has their act together. So many better options out there why bother with WS?

Actually, because of a couple of things: I can actually hit the clubs. Tons of demos and fitting carts over here in Germany. Srixon (for example) has its closest fitting centre for me in the UK...

Plus: Unbeatable price point, better feel than Titleist forgings, I like the looks and feel of them AND (this is the biggest point for me) the still make a 47* PW in a forgiving forged iron.

This is so true - the forgings feel fantastic and the PW is still a pw while the offset is minimal and still a players profile without compromising some solid forgiveness, great chasis and execution; wedges too

You can still buy 3 and 4 irons in the higher end offerings and in traditional lofts too. Another reason they are on my list for consideration. I like don't like the trend of bending 5 irons to traditional 3 irons lofts etc.

Nice point of view!

LMAO, yea, like I'm in any position to insult guys at Staff and I can't even respond on a friggin golf board, lol.

That YouTube video is a great idea!

Is producing one of those videos expensive?

All the Best,

RP

My suggestion is not for WS to produce YouTube content (which they already do in a limited fashion), but get their clubs in the hands of those that make golf YouTube videos as part of their living. Specially, I'm talking about two guys in the UK that have built a huge following, mainly in part by doing club reviews. Over 350,000 followers, that's a lot of golfers. And, these guys are always doing club reviews. Basically, name an OEM, they have reviewed their current product line. Sans one, WS.

Love them or hate them, golfers are seeking out their opinion. So, not having them review your clubs is a major mistake. Just another marketing issue for WS. But to answer your question, total cost to ship clubs from WS UK distributor to these guys.... Likely a couple hundred euros at most, haha.

Have a good night!

I think the problem here is that it wasn't TM or Cally that produced the Driver vs Driver. I believe they have tested a few of Wilson's irons F5,V4 But why not go try them yourself? I have tested them both at there test facility and at Demo days. They have by far the best Irons -V6 is the best yet it's loaded with technology .The feel , balance , ball speed , Flight, distance is outstanding ! It's not a FAT top lined heavy flash in the pan fake of all out performance product The V6 it like a Jaguar that has power of a Lightning Bolt. The Triton is way ahead of the other Drivers on the market in Tech and performance . Triton offers almost any shaft combo you want at no up charge, the ability to tune the driver is far above any competitor But then again you want to go by what someone else on youtube tells you ! GO try it You will Love it. The Wilson Tour ball coming out I tested last summer and fall and it's a screamer and stops on a dime .This will be the surprise ball of the year. As a matter of fact the V6 irons, Triton Driver, and the PMP wedges Will TOP any out there (ps the modern day wedge design WILSON did it !) I use to Build and Race cars and the designs for performance isn't always the shinny chrome thingamabob, it can be a small innocent looking of a nothing piece or a small curve or angle or type material that makes it go like a scaulled dog. Just to Remind you TM is up for sale due to losing money. GO TRY THEM, TUNE THEM UP , the Rep will help you ...

RAT- You must work for WS because the Triton is hot garbage and actually the worst driver I have ever hit. But then again I did hit the non conforming version so maybe it's better now :o

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

RAT- You must work for WS because the Triton is hot garbage and actually the worst driver I have ever hit. But then again I did hit the non conforming version so maybe it's better now :o

@J13, RAT "does not " work for W/S! Just knows a good product when he sees and tries it! I currently game a Fusion and can say that the Triton went head to head with the Fusion, just didn't beat it out or I would've put it in the bag! It was a toss of the coin, so all you "Fan Boys" keep on keeping on!! Don't hate the player, hate the game!

It doesn't have to get personal, lol

I mean we're talking fictitious UN's and fake avatars for chrissakes?

I've Played Mizzy blades for the last 26 years(2012) but finished '12 with the Staff 59's in the bag and they were the big reason for that trophy in my avatar(it ain't a PB, just a fact. Don't hate the Playa, hate the game?)

I was never a fan of their persimmons(Nor was Sam. His drivers/woods(old Mac from Penna) were Penna Customs with a Staff badge and sole plate) or metals but I haven't hit this one.

There's no need to get nasty, lol

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RAT - You are completely missing my point. Not once in my posts and criticisms of WS did I mention the actual products. Why? Because I like WS clubs and have enjoyed the products I've hit and seen. And, I agree with you, the clubs are very good. That's the problem! WS marketing and branding is letting that good product down.

On Driver vs. Driver, what's the point of doing an elaborate TV show when its almost impossible to find even basic iron specs on the website? Why spend big bucks on a show when your company isn't truly utilizing a much more cost effective medium (a space every other major OEM has made a priority)? And, finally, why go for broke trying to build buzz on a product to have it only be tempered by the fact that many golfers will find it very difficult to demo the club since you lack distribution? These are issues that a Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc. simply don't have.

I feel that the brand is just missing very basic things that today's golf consumer is looking for. And, that's part of the reason why whenever WS is mentioned here, its the same refrain over and over again. Really good clubs, but....

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

And it would take only a small fraction of the time & money spent on "driver vs driver" to redesign their crappy website.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

the Australian site seems to have the info you are looking for:

http://www.wilson.co...#specifications

Agree with Bunkersarebigcups - Wilson Staff make great irons. If I ever get sick of my MX-200's I will be looking seriously at what Wilson Staff has to offer.

MX200....what a great iron.

I just let mine go for some '16 JPX EZ Forgeds after flipping a couple of items I found cheap on Craig's List for more profit than expected... but the MX-200 is one of the best balances between look, feel, and GI I've ever seen, regardless of age, and with the only notable tech being the undercut channel in the low irons. The fact that you can find them at or under $100 relatively regularly these days make them a no brainer. I'll probably miss mine sooner than later.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Crossfield loved the FG Tour forged irons on his channel, and was very favorable of the V2 as well so someone at WS was sending him stuff 5 years ago. To me, Shiels comes of as a preppie tool who's trying hard not to look the part so I don't put anything in his opinion anyway. I own now, or have played many rounds with at least six different WS models in everything except putter. I still have the wedges in the bag, the M3 driver on the workbench, and an M3 hybrid too. I have seen no quality or playability issues with their product and in fact the performance is right up next to Titleist in my own experience.

And yes the executives at WS should be absolutely embarrassed about how the Triton production played out. It was not worth the fiasco it became. Paddy made the only important statement on that entire flipping series when he said he'd game the Pivot, then the executives decided they knew better and "hot garbage" ensued. Thank heavens they normally leave the design to their engineers! I hit that thing at a GG once. Once. I really hope they don't think themselves right out of the market, but I won't let educated idiots get in the way of playing stuff I really like.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

Crossfield loved the FG Tour forged irons on his channel, and was very favorable of the V2 as well so someone at WS was sending him stuff 5 years ago. To me, Shiels comes of as a preppie tool who's trying hard not to look the part so I don't put anything in his opinion anyway. I own now, or have played many rounds with at least six different WS models in everything except putter. I still have the wedges in the bag, the M3 driver on the workbench, and an M3 hybrid too. I have seen no quality or playability issues with their product and in fact the performance is right up next to Titleist in my own experience.

And yes the executives at WS should be absolutely embarrassed about how the Triton production played out. It was not worth the fiasco it became. Paddy made the only important statement on that entire flipping series when he said he'd game the Pivot, then the executives decided they knew better and "hot garbage" ensued. Thank heavens they normally leave the design to their engineers! I hit that thing at a GG once. Once. I really hope they don't think themselves right out of the market, but I won't let educated idiots get in the way of playing stuff I really like.

????????nice post!

But they're Wilson golf.

No..... they're Wilson Staff!!!

And "distance is the difference"

No distance is not the difference. The difference is knowing that W/S makes great products, regardless of the marketing, that's out of my hands. I like the fact they're not caught up in the rat race of constantly recycling products to try and stay ahead of the game. It kills some of the regulars in our group who've always got the latest day and greatest only to get smoked by a W/S product. I just smile and move on! Play what ya like and move forward.

It is frustrating, as some of their products are top-notch.

Staff has to compete with other Divisions within the Wilson family for marketing $$: And I'd bet the corporate think tank is trying to cross-breed marketing programs that have worked selling footballs, aluminum baseball bats, or other products under the "Best Practices" banner to golf.

But the golf landscape and demographics are a bit different. So the effort looks half-baked to those of us that dearly want to try, like, or play Wilson Staff.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

It's good to know that it's not just the big golf companies that have fan boys who will go down swinging at any chance to defend the brand.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

It's good to know that it's not just the big golf companies that have fan boys who will go down swinging at any chance to defend the brand.

People here are defending the product in spite of the brand, and that is the difference between people who like something and fan boys.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

lol, all this anger over a lack of specs.

Custom shafts offerings too. Don't forget that.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

went to website, clicked on v6 irons...and under shaft selection the 1 choice was....Steel. haha

i was actually shocked at how incredibly bad this website is. i have to agree, a company that produced driver vs driver should have zero excuses for not having decent website.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• 2 years later...

soooo. had to revive this and express my utter frustration with Wilson Staff. I ordered a set of V6's from a local fitter under the ASSUMPTION the lengths on their site were legit (38.25 5I). Get the sticks and they played atleast a half inch under what's listed on their site. I kid you not the PW was shorter than my 35.25 MPT7 wedge. Also measured it against a Titliest sm6 58 and they were the same length. Sent the clubs back to wilson and they provided me with a pdf with a description of how they measure VS every other OEM and a sorry note. Long story short i told them i have a lot of money and time invested in these and requested that they please rebuild them at +.5 inch due to the website vs actual measurement discrepancy. It's now been a month and i still have no clue when/if I will get my irons back. Beautiful looking irons and i bet they perform but the disconnect between support and their builders is atrociously awful. Very disappointed to say the least.

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

> @jas904 said:

> ...they are really pissing me off. I've been waiting for a very long time for their website to be updated with the FG Tour V6 irons. I had a chance to hit them and they are oh so sweet. It seems that from the time that all of the media outlets first wrote their stories about the clubs to the time that the website was updated was extremely long. So now the website has been updated there is hardly any information. No specs, stock shaft info (I know it's the AMT), grip info, custom shaft options...nothing. Come on Wilson get your act together!

Rather than shouting to the heavens, find a retailer/green grass shop that carries the line and let them discover all the options. You will not solve your issues here.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I don't get why a website would effect your decision to make a purchase. If you have hit them before and liked them, buy them. Looking at a pretty website should mean nothing to you if you already know what the club feels like. Specs are available on numerous websites if you really need to see them.

I love my V4's and would buy WS again but I have too many iron sets I need to give a go before I buy another set.

[color=#ff8c00]Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110[/color]
[color=#ff8c00]Taylormade M2 16.5* Accra FX 260[/color]
[color=#40e0d0][/color]
[color=#000080]Ping G410 22* Alta CB 70 Red[/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]Scratch DW Custom Grind AR1 2i-7i, SB1 Diamondback 8i-PW[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Bridgestone J15 53*, 57*[/color]
[color=#000000]Evnroll 5 Hatchback[/color]