2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping i200 Irons: In-Hand Photos

GolfWRX

Do these have tungsten in the toe?

I thought I read some stuff early on saying they did, but I can't find it now. I re-read the golfwrx write-up and it doesn't mention it. Likewise, nothing on Ping's website references it. So I am assumg no tungsten? The 8-U didn't have it in the ie1, maybe thinning out the face and changing the ctp they didn't need it in the longer irons in the i200 maybe (plus saves $ of course). I'm just wondering if there's no tungsten if the long irons are as forgiving as the previous gen. I know plenty of SGI clubs are made w no Tungsten so it's not necessary for forgiveness but these aren't SGIs even if they are progressive, just curious if there's no tungsten how they'd compare to the ie1 in the 3 and 4 iron.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they have tungsten in the toe

Below is a reply to that question when I posed it to Ping...

"Thank you for your inquiry. The new I200 irons do not use any tungsten in the toe in any of the irons. The power specs change will not change the lie angle or the offset of the clubs they are designed to only change the lofts. If you have any questions please let us know."

they have tungsten in the toe

Below is a reply to that question when I posed it to Ping...

"Thank you for your inquiry. The new I200 irons do not use any tungsten in the toe in any of the irons. The power specs change will not change the lie angle or the offset of the clubs they are designed to only change the lofts. If you have any questions please let us know."

When I called they said that the power spec will decrease bounce, but that's about it.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I guess they don't really have any room due to the tuning port being so big and the face being so much thinner? Those guys can design these things with the metal in the right places now to center everything. I wonder if tungsten lately is just more of a marketing tactic. Not that it doesn't work just fine, but that a company could put the center of gravity where it needs to be easily without it??

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

I was looking at the stock shaft offerings and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Modus 105 and the KBS Tour? I have not used either shaft was curious about differences other than weight.

Thanks

I tested this combo today..overall it's pretty decent package..mid to high ball flight, (the tip is not stiff) easy to work the ball both ways, also surprisingly straight as well. The swing weight it's on the light end, probably D1, so when I ordered the club, i asked to increase swing weight to D2. Also, contrary to what Rich Shield say the club feels "hard" I feel this combo feels pretty "soft" may be it's the shaft.

I was gonna order the tour 120 instead, but my Pro shop told me it's not being offer by Ping (surprise).

Was this combo the Tour 105 or the KBS Tour? Thanks

I like both. KBS feels just a little better fit to me, but that's just my swing, and I already play it in my wedges. The Nippon felt a touch firmer, but very playable. I could be pretty happy with either one in terms of feel. You may get a more desired ball flight with one over the other. It just depends I guess.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Tried these this morning during my fitting. They felt very soft and smooth, which is great. Performance and numbers were very solid as well. Personally, not sure I can get past the setup aesthetics on the long irons though. Also, they were so soft that I struggled to feel where my misses were. YMMV. Nice sticks though for sure. If I grab a set this year, thinking it will be Srixon 745 or 765.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Tungsten doesn't make the club more forgiving. It just allows the designers latitude in that they can put mass where they want it without having to have as much steel in the same area. In other words tungsten allows the club to look a little more compact so to speak, which a less bulky appearance.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Tungsten doesn't make the club more forgiving. It just allows the designers latitude in that they can put mass where they want it without having to have as much steel in the same area. In other words tungsten allows the club to look a little more compact so to speak, which a less bulky appearance.

Thanks Ness, you beat me to it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

These things are awesome. Not sure I'm good enough to actually play them, but they were my favorite club at the demo day I was at today.

Like you, I was a 14 hdc when I bought my Ping S-58 irons, new. I kept my Srixon Z-rw driver until I switched for a G-20 driver (strictly out of vanity) in 2012. I'm a 72 yr/o, 9.3 hdc index, playing from the whites.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

These things are awesome. Not sure I'm good enough to actually play them, but they were my favorite club at the demo day I was at today.

Man they're pretty forgiving. Anyone from pro to a relatively high handicap that hits pretty close to the center can play these. Honestly if you miss really badly nothing is going to help that.

It all will come down to getting fit as to whether or not these will launch, spin, etc. properly for you as opposed to the next step up which would be the G.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

I kind of wish they were offering the cfs shaft instead of the awt 2.0. For some reason even though the rest of wrx seemed to bash that shaft it clicked for me compared to everything else I tried in my i20's as far as distance, feel, and flight. Never was a fan of the first awt, and didn't love the demo 2.0 I hit the other day.

I kind of wish they were offering the cfs shaft instead of the awt 2.0. For some reason even though the rest of wrx seemed to bash that shaft it clicked for me compared to everything else I tried in my i20's as far as distance, feel, and flight. Never was a fan of the first awt, and didn't love the demo 2.0 I hit the other day.

I'm sure you'd be able to order with the cfs. I've heard people are still getting the zz65 shaft which is much older that the cfs.

Picking mine up today...Came in 3 days early...

Ping G425 9 deg set to 8 deg Tensei Orange Reg
Ping G425 5 Wood Alta Reg
Ping G425 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids Alta Reg
Mizuno 921 Forged Recoil ESX 460 F3 6-AW
Cleveland CBX ZipCore. 54 & 58 
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 34"
Titleist ProV1
2020 Ping Pioneer Black

Got mine today and played my first nine with them as well. Coming from the s55, you can definitely tell a difference in the feel. Much much softer, as soft as any forging I've played. It was also the first 9 of the year for me so I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surpised how well the distance control was and how consistent they were. At one point from 125 out I hit 5 different balls that all landed within 5 feet of each other. I have a feeling these are going to grab the same amount of a following as the s55 did. These do like to get in the air as well. I ordered with X100 shafts and the power spec lofts to bring down the flight, even then they love to fly high. I could control the trajectory if I tried though as I played a few knock down shots just to do it. The top lines are great, not fat at all. I loved the compact shape of them, not long from heal to toe. Made them feel more like my s55 players club. Over all, I couldn't be happier. I got exactly what I wanted. An s55 with more forgiveness.

Also: mine did NOT have the power spec stickers on the shafts. I had my pro check lofts and they're dead on for the power specs lofts. It's also written on the ping build sheet. Just wanted to add this because others have mentioned not having them and worrying about it.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I think these irons look great... Saw them in person for the first time and they have a classy clean look. I have i25s and think these are an improvement visually - but that's just me. I thought the iE or whatever they were called (pre i200 release) were a step back from the i25s in appearance. All subjective of course.

Got mine today and played my first nine with them as well. Coming from the s55, you can definitely tell a difference in the feel. Much much softer, as soft as any forging I've played. It was also the first 9 of the year for me so I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surpised how well the distance control was and how consistent they were. At one point from 125 out I hit 5 different balls that all landed within 5 feet of each other. I have a feeling these are going to grab the same amount of a following as the s55 did. These do like to get in the air as well. I ordered with X100 shafts and the power spec lofts to bring down the flight, even then they love to fly high. I could control the trajectory if I tried though as I played a few knock down shots just to do it. The top lines are great, not fat at all. I loved the compact shape of them, not long from heal to toe. Made them feel more like my s55 players club. Over all, I couldn't be happier. I got exactly what I wanted. An s55 with more forgiveness.

Also: mine did NOT have the power spec stickers on the shafts. I had my pro check lofts and they're dead on for the power specs lofts. It's also written on the ping build sheet. Just wanted to add this because others have mentioned not having them and worrying about it.

does the grind look any different ?

Nice review. Could you post a pic of the back grind?

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Honestly the back grind doesn't look any different than the stock relieve. It's just a little deeper, a little more defined I guess. The finish isn't different at all either.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Honestly the back grind doesn't look any different than the stock relieve. It's just a little deeper, a little more defined I guess. The finish isn't different at all either.

Thanks for the pic.

Are the power lofts adding distance or by reducing launch and spin rates from the standard lofts they are flying about equal to what you normally play?

Thanks for the pic.

Are the power lofts adding distance or by reducing launch and spin rates from the standard lofts they are flying about equal to what you normally play?

Actually I went 1/4 short and it seems to be right at about the same distances I was playing. Maybe a couple yards longer, but very close. Hard to tell with the spin right now as greens are crazy soft, but even high balls seem to get the right distance.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Thanks a lot!

How do you get your lead tape to look so good?? haha

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

The i200 heads are chrome plated. If one of the various sole grind options are applied the chrome will be removed in that area. This won't affect playability but it does bear mentioning.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"