2017 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x

snagy2000

Appreciated - thank you

But what i would really like is the 2017 versions tested - I am a die hard 2016 v1x player with low launch and low spin that i need my ball to counter

The 2017 v1x seems to be the frontrunner - just wanted people's best picks for competition in that high launch/more spin category

chrome soft x i understand - srixon xv - any views on the tp5x?

thx

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sorry but that as always been incorrect.... v1x has always been higher launch and spin ..always... how else would you get the higher launch ? its because its spinning... the exceptionis driver... 2015 and 2017 ball are very close on driver spin.... but with a full wedge you cant tell me that the x isnt substantially more spin that the V1... just noo contest

I'm not sure who you are arguing with? The genesis of most of these comments stems from Titleist's own marketing. That is what people in this thread are complaining about. Look at the sales blurb for the outgoing 2015 model.

prov_2015_creative.png

It clearly says "high launch and low spin" for the X. Are they referring to driver strikes? Most likely. Is it clear? Not at all. See the issue now?

So I tried a sleeve of each this weekend - for some reason both balls made me chunk wedges! Clearly a defect!

I struggle with aoa being too negative on my driver swing, so I'm into the high launch low spin with the driver from a ball perspective. Ive played the X for the past few years in competitive situations, and usually avoided the regular because it had a nasty habit of spinning back unexpectedly, and was more grabby than I liked on chips and pitches.

First on the spin on irons and wedges - I couldn't tell any difference. Its wet and the greens were bumpy so it's tough to judge the spin.

Driver - the regular actually had a better flight for me than the X - higher but still the penetrating flight I prefer. Hard to tell on the roll.

So I'm leaning towards the regular this year but want to try it a few more times, preferably on a launch monitor, before the spring deal.

I play the 2015 X because of lower spin off driver, firmer feel, and more durability than ProV1. I will try the 2017 ProV1, to see if it launches lower and flies flatter, as I fight a high ball, but I'm not excited about it, because I don't want to play a softer ball that isn't as durable.

In short: I'm stockpiling 2015 Xs. Love that ball. Excited about the price drop.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I play the 2015 X because of lower spin off driver, firmer feel, and more durability than ProV1. I will try the 2017 ProV1, to see if it launches lower and flies flatter, as I fight a high ball, but I'm not excited about it, because I don't want to play a softer ball that isn't as durable.

In short: I'm stockpiling 2015 Xs. Love that ball. Excited about the price drop.

I will try a sleeve of the new v1, but I have two dozen 2015 1x still so I will play those first regardless.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I've now played about 10 rounds, alternating between the 2017 V1 and V1x. For me, the V1 is lower launch, has slightly less spin, and feels softer. I played the 2015 V1x all last season but am switching to the V1 this year for the lower trajectory and lower short-iron spin rate. As for the new V1x, it feels exactly like the '15 but with a higher trajectory. So my results were in line with what Titleist is saying about the new balls. I prefer the feel of the V1x, but I need lower launch and less spin, so I'm playing the V1.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

I've now played about 10 rounds, alternating between the 2017 V1 and V1x. For me, the V1 is lower launch, has slightly less spin, and feels softer. I played the 2015 V1x all last season but am switching to the V1 this year for the lower trajectory and lower short-iron spin rate. As for the new V1x, it feels exactly like the '15 but with a higher trajectory. So my results were in line with what Titleist is saying about the new balls. I prefer the feel of the V1x, but I need lower launch and less spin, so I'm playing the V1.

Virtually identical to my findings as well.

After two seasons of happily gaming 2015 V1x, this year 2017 V1 will be in my bag... it simply fits my game better.

The only difference between you and I is that I prefer the feel of this years V1 over V1x... to me, 2017 x is firmer than last year.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

im sorry but that as always been incorrect.... v1x has always been higher launch and spin ..always... how else would you get the higher launch ? its because its spinning... the exceptionis driver... 2015 and 2017 ball are very close on driver spin.... but with a full wedge you cant tell me that the x isnt substantially more spin that the V1... just noo contest

I'm not sure who you are arguing with? The genesis of most of these comments stems from Titleist's own marketing. That is what people in this thread are complaining about. Look at the sales blurb for the outgoing 2015 model.

prov_2015_creative.png

It clearly says "high launch and low spin" for the X. Are they referring to driver strikes? Most likely. Is it clear? Not at all. See the issue now?

imnot arguing with anyone... go

read the chart on that same page that showsit to have more spin greenside and with irons... again not arguing.. go buy the X call itlow spin and play it... still wont make it the lower spin ball overall

here is the link to titleist with the direct comparison... shows more spin for v1x on wedges and irons and equal for driver...

http://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/pro-v1-pro-v1x?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ProV1%20-%20General&utm_term=pro%20v1x%20golf%20balls&utm_content=ProV1%20-%20Exact

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

prov_2015_creative.png

read the chart on that same page that showsit to have more spin greenside and with irons... again not arguing.. go buy the X call itlow spin and play it... still wont make it the lower spin ball overall

Now I know, where the confusion stems from.

Titleist already noticed lower sales, therefore they thought it would be a good idea, to force their customers, to buy both versions, by confusing them. :taunt:

Well, as it looks, Im guessing that I will be switching over to the V1 at some point based on what most 2015 1x players are reporting. I did prefer the feel of the 2015 v1, but got better results with the 1x. Hoping Titleist does a ball fitting at Miles of Golf here in Ohio again (which is where I went before during the old ball cycle).

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Concerning the 2017 ProV1. Not sure if it was the cold weather (47°) or what, but I had some iron shots drop scarily short last round. Like 10+ yds short, on what I felt to be well struck shots. Could be many things or a combination of weather and ball strike, but it really made me scratch my head. Maybe I need more spin with my irons.

here is the link to titleist with the direct comparison... shows more spin for v1x on wedges and irons and equal for driver...

http://www.titleist....t=ProV1 - Exact

Telling me to go buy the X, call it low spin and play it - only further proves your reluctance to understand what is being brought up in this thread. People are NOT clamoring about how the balls perform/react on the golf course. People ARE taking issue to how these balls have been marketed previously, and how it's being marketed now, in 2017.

2013 rear box chart for the Titleist Pro V1/X

Titleist_ProV1_ProV1X_Comparison.jpg

What part of that chart indicates to you that the Pro V1X spins more than the Pro V1 with the bottom half of your bag?

2015 rear box chart for the Titleist Pro V1/X

2015-pro-v1-pro-v1x-compare.jpg?397

What part of that chart indicates to you that the Pro V1X spins more than the Pro V1 with the bottom half of your bag?

For reference; 2017 box chart

Screen-Shot-2017-01-25-at-07.47.40.png

Titleist marketing message has always been perfectly clear but you guys like to ignore it. They say the balls are similar but most people will find one or the other works better for their game. Their advice is to try them both and see which you like.

Any confusion comes from people who expect Titleist to behave like Bridgestone and tell you if you have a 101.6 mph swing and a 3.9 handicap then only the such-and-such ball will work for you.

Buy a sleeve of each. Compare them, working your way back from the green. Play the one that works best. Golf is a game played on grass outdoors. Trying to do it in front of a computer screen is what gives you a headache!

Titleist marketing message has always been perfectly clear but you guys like to ignore it. They say the balls are similar but most people will find one or the other works better for their game. Their advice is to try them both and see which you like.

Any confusion comes from people who expect Titleist to behave like Bridgestone and tell you if you have a 101.6 mph swing and a 3.9 handicap then only the such-and-such ball will work for you.

Buy a sleeve of each. Compare them, working your way back from the green. Play the one that works best. Golf is a game played on grass outdoors. Trying to do it in front of a computer screen is what gives you a headache!

Yes, their message is very clear: buy our most expensive balls - all of them...

...and where is the true information for the consumer, to help to decide?

https://www.mygolfsp...eed-golf-balls/

There is a reason, why Bridgestone has launched some trial packs, with the new e6 soft and e6 speed including the ProV1(x) balls to compare!

That is real information for the consumer, and a true guideline, that helps to save money and time.

Titleist wants to appeal to golfers who only believe what they experience in person on the golf course.

Other brands are going after the golfers who believe reading about golf balls will tell them which one they should use.

Two very different market segments there. As for "trial packs" I have never seen a golf course that won't gladly sell you a sleeve of ProV1's.

So both the 2013 and 2015 version of the V1X having the same short game control characteristics as the V1 is perfectly clear and is in-line with the message they are now driving home with the 2017 version? I'm starting to think that those who choose to think that Titleist's marketing is clear are actually the confused ones lol.

Titleist wants to appeal to golfers who only believe what they experience in person on the golf course.

Other brands are going after the golfers who believe reading about golf balls will tell them which one they should use.

Two very different market segments there. As for "trial packs" I have never seen a golf course that won't gladly sell you a sleeve of ProV1's.

Why not choose the more cost effective way and decide after you have tested the Titleist and the Bridgestone in the trial pack:

https://www.Not allowed because of spam.com/2017-bridgestone-e6-soft-and-e6-speed-golf-balls/

Then you have the best of both worlds:

The feel that you are one of the golfers, which Titleist wants to appeal...

...and...

...a real cost effective testing opportunity.

And the icing on the cake is, that you can sell the Titleist balls from the trial pack to golfers, who believe in marketing! :pimp:

If you guys really want to make your heads hurt, consider this:

I have tested both 2017 V1 models on Trackman and played them both on the course. (Results are here if you are interested: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1436748-quick-2017-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x-trackman-review/)

In my testing on Trackman, each ball only spun a couple hundred rpm's different from each other. However, on the course, the spin difference seemed more significant. How can that be?

In my humble opinion and assessment, what Titleist is saying is "somewhat true." Meaning, 2017 Pro V1 PERFORMS like it is spinning less than 2017 V1x, however it is a marginal difference. What do I mean by "perform?" Let me explain...

If V1x comes into a green at a 45 degree decent spinning at 8000 rpm, and V1 comes into a green at a 40 degree decent spinning 8000 rpm, which one is going to stop quicker (or backup more)? V1x of course, same spin and dropping steeper means more "stopping power," not necessarily more spin. Yet, V1 because it is shallower needs the spin to stop its forward momentum, therefore appearing to be spinning less.

So... my point is... I believe Titleist is using the world "SPIN" more as a marketing term, and to also explain how results of each ball will differ, not actually what is occurring to generate those results.

mind blown.... lol :beruo:

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I don't play their balls because I'm a cheapskate but otherwise I must totally be in their target market. Nothing about their ProV1 marketing seems the least bit confusing to me. Probably because I don't expect the bumpf on the back of the box to tell me which ball I will like better. You get confused because you try to impute meaning where there is none.

It's just like the guys that come on here and ask questions like, "Do you think I could get half a degree more launch and 200rpm less spin by going to the ADDI 7s instead of the 6x but tipping it an extra half inch?" The inevitable reply is you have to go through a fitting or at least try it, nobody can predict detailed results from a bunch of specs. Just as true for golf balls.

Telling me to go buy the X, call it low spin and play it - only further proves your reluctance to understand what is being brought up in this thread. People are NOT clamoring about how the balls perform/react on the golf course. People ARE taking issue to how these balls have been marketed previously, and how it's being marketed now, in 2017.

I believe when they say "short game spin " **BEST** they are comparing both balls to competitors...not to each other.... now way they are equal ... for me a V1x isalmost uncontrolable with a full sand or lob wedge... but V1 i can flight and get it to not suck back 20 feet

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I believe when they say "short game spin " **BEST** they are comparing both balls to competitors...not to each other.... now way they are equal ... for me a V1x isalmost uncontrolable with a full sand or lob wedge... but V1 i can flight and get it to not suck back 20 feet

Not to argue but the V1x spins more off wedges and irons than the V1 did. Been this way for a long time

Let me know thoughts on best test candidates for high launch/more spin that i can test vs the 2017 v1x

would rather do some apples to apples before i automatically replace my 2015 v1x with a new ball

thank you

Anyone?

Appreciated

I could be wrong, but I thought the Chrome Soft X was designed to be the V1x equivalent? I'm giving it a go (when the weather improves) as the price vs the V1x is much better. We're talking £30 a dozen vs £42 a dozen here in the UK.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Anybody here follow @pgatour on Instagram? There is a video this morning of Zak Johnson backing up a flighted wedge like 30 feet on command. Its awesome. Wonder what ball he is playing.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

It's astounding how much incorrect information you can find on this site. The X has been the higher launch, lower spin for long game version, while the V1 has been the opposite. Why are people arguing that?

I've officially tapped out of that fight. The question is like an unsquashable bug, stomp on it all you want and the next day it crawls back out of the woodwork.

It's astounding how much incorrect information you can find on this site. The X has been the higher launch, lower spin for long game version, while the V1 has been the opposite. Why are people arguing that?

I've officially tapped out of that fight. The question is like an unsquashable bug, stomp on it all you want and the next day it crawls back out of the woodwork.

I mean just look at the back of the box. It says it right there!