Creating Another Major Championship

EntourageLife

A better question IMO would be:

If a billionaire held an open golf tournament with a $100M purse the same week as The Masters. What % of Masters eligible players would opt to go play the other event for potentially life-changing money and give up their chance at golf history?

Obviously, big names like Mickelson, McIlroy, etc who don't need the money wouldn't hesitate to go to Augusta, but it would probably make the next tier of players atleast think about skipping.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the world of sport is done in fours. Four bases, four quarters, four rounds, four majors, four major sports (in the US). In the rest of the world, four seasons, four quarters financially, four years of high school (in the US), four levels of undergrad. Five majors just doesn't jive.

No one will put a Multi Million Dollar Challenge opposite a major! The first few years you'd have Will Wilcox, Jerry Kelly, Bryson DeChambeau:-), Pelle Edberg and Raphael Jacquelin battling it out while the others would contend at the Major. Most of the pros that qualify for majors earn a good dollar.

They tried to establish little majors with these WGC-tourneys years ago, now Keith Pelley creates the Rolex Series. None of these is placed opposite a major. Money is not the only factor that defines values in a sport

I don't know, they've tried to add more prestigious tournaments over the last 20 or so years. FedEx Cup and Playoff system, WGC events, and none of those come up to the atmosphere of the majors.

Just asking, what's wrong with 4 major tournaments, 4/5 really good tournaments that really mean something to win (WGC/Players), a playoff system FedEx cup, and every two years a Ryder Cup? When April roles around we don't go a month without one of those where the very best players in the world show up on some of the very best courses. That's essentially what a major is, just has more history behind it.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

A lot of excellent posts above me explaining why this is a bad idea, won't happen and the game will be the better for it. As a Player(ok, past tense, it's just that I'm having a hard time accepting this and letting go, lmao) What ive always loved about the game is the tradition that forms its foundation, be it at the Amateur level, Pro level, competitively or rules wise, and yes, sometimes it is frustrating when the ruling bodies do or do not make decisions and/or effecting the game and the golfers who Play/play it, however this process has, for better or worse, been a "natural" organic aging and maturation of the game.

While I am not naive or medicated enough to say that money, and lots of it have not and cannot affect the game on the micro level, I do not want it to affect it on the macro level, such as buying a "major."

There have been many Tournaments that have been the first at a certain dollar level, and that shindig in South Africa which was the first to offer $1,000,000 comes to mind, and while they create a lot of buzz, draw the Players and fans, they eventually fall into the natural "order(I believe that that Tourney is actually extinct)" of things.

Yes, the majors have evolved over time and some, like the US and British Am have dropped to an Amateur Major only, and the Western Open, once a Major, was replaced by The Masters and today is extinct.

Others, like the PGA Championship, have changed their format, going from Match to Medal Play(which I'd switch back to if I were Top Doggie?)

I look at something like this suggestion(I realize it's just for discussion EL ?) not so much as "creating" a Major as much as "buying" a Major, and even if it was "creating" a Major, I'm also not into creating anything. Everything is there, in Place and if one of the present Tourneys evolves naturally into a "Major," super, it will take its place along side the Big Four.

However, to "create" or "buy" a Major?

Nah, I'm for the natural evolution of things-

But then again, I only removed/replaced a club from my bag when I had one in my hands that was actually better than the club in my bag, lol

I'm antiquated, lmao

Just my .03 worth?

Nice thread Bro?

Stay Well Gals & Gents,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

the 2015 US Open purse was $10 Million with $1.8 million going to the winner. Using that some scale, you'd have to have a purse of approximately $139,000,000 to pay out $25,000,000 to the winner. Granted, $2.3 Million for a 10th place finish is pretty enticing, but that tournament would be short lived. You'd have to get a bunch of sponsors to jump ship on the PGA Championship and I don't think a lot of them would right away. And that's the problem, what you don't have is time. I would imagine the PGA Tour would do everything in it's power to stop something like this from happening and you'd get a really weak field.

Right now you have the Senior Players as a major on the Champions Tour with a total of 5 Majors. The biggest problem with that schedule last year was the first 2 majors of the season being in back to back weeks. That just CANNOT happen. If you try to work the schedule for the PGA tour it becomes very tough to make it work. If you moved the Players to March and made it a major, Augusta would be pissed.

I'm not sure it could work, or at least not ever get on the same level as the current 4 majors are on. Just look at the FedEx Cup, all the money and marketing they've poured into promoting it as legit and important, and nobody cares. Fans are pretty good at realizing a farce or manufactured event when they see one, it's got to be somewhat authentic to succeed.

I'm not sure it could work, or at least not ever get on the same level as the current 4 majors are on. Just look at the FedEx Cup, all the money and marketing they've poured into promoting it as legit and important, and nobody cares. Fans are pretty good at realizing a farce or manufactured event when they see one, it's got to be somewhat authentic to succeed.

And now their whole competing with football idea hasn't panned out and trying to figure out how to get it over earlier and horn in on summer ratings - see dumb idea to move PGA the Tour, not PGA, suggested. Compress major season to a very short window and somehow other things will keep interest until Ryder Cup? Some dominoes started falling when they went to the wrap around and they are seeing the effects.

If a billionaire held an open golf tournament with a $100M purse the same week as The Masters. What % of Masters eligible players would opt to go play the other event for potentially life-changing money and give up their chance at golf history?

Obviously, big names like Mickelson, McIlroy, etc who don't need the money wouldn't hesitate to go to Augusta, but it would probably make the next tier of players atleast think about skipping.

What would the prize money breakdown be for a $100MM purse?

What would the prize money breakdown be for a $100MM purse?

It would be eye-opening enough that "if you pay them, they will come..." Believe me.

A lot of excellent posts above me explaining why this is a bad idea, won't happen and the game will be the better for it. As a Player(ok, past tense, it's just that I'm having a hard time accepting this and letting go, lmao) What ive always loved about the game is the tradition that forms its foundation, be it at the Amateur level, Pro level, competitively or rules wise, and yes, sometimes it is frustrating when the ruling bodies do or do not make decisions and/or effecting the game and the golfers who Play/play it, however this process has, for better or worse, been a "natural" organic aging and maturation of the game.

While I am not naive or medicated enough to say that money, and lots of it have not and cannot affect the game on the micro level, I do not want it to affect it on the macro level, such as buying a "major."

There have been many Tournaments that have been the first at a certain dollar level, and that shindig in South Africa which was the first to offer $1,000,000 comes to mind, and while they create a lot of buzz, draw the Players and fans, they eventually fall into the natural "order(I believe that that Tourney is actually extinct)" of things.

Yes, the majors have evolved over time and some, like the US and British Am have dropped to an Amateur Major only, and the Western Open, once a mMajor, was replaced by The Masters and today is extinct.

Others, like the PGA Championship, have changed their format, going from Match to Medal Play(I'd switch back if I were Top Doggie)

I look at something like this suggestion(I realize it's just for discussion EL ) not so much as "creating" a Major as much as "buying" a Major, and even if it was "creating" a Major, I'm not involved in creating anything. Everything is there, in Place and if one of the present Tourneys evolves naturally into a "Major," super, it will take its place along side the Big Four.

Just my .03 worth

Nice thread Bro

Stay Well Gals & Gents,

RP

Richard, thanks for chiming in on my post. Remind these folks that things evolve. Remember the great Bobby Jones once tried to get the USGA to hold the U.S. Open at his place and they told the great Bobby Jones, NO!

The only reason we now have the Masters major is because Bobby Jones was desperate to sell memberships and invited some of his famous golfing friends to come and play a "friendly" event. Low and behold look what that became...

Crazier things have happened. Greg Norman tried to create an "international tour" years ago and everyone told him, NO! Then the PGA Tour and European Tour copied his exact ideas and created the World Golf Championships.

Money and Power move the needle...History follows. Not the other way around.

I really like the idea of a major being hosted on same course year after year. One reason The Player's gets so much attention (besides the strong field) is the general public knows the course, i.e. 17th island). Obviously, same attitude with The Masters held at Augusta.

Recent perception is that the PGA is losing prestige. Maybe align themselves with the perfect host course for a set period of years (5?) and see how the public's course knowledge/anticipation would enhance the event?

Thoughts?

oh for goodness sakes E L, don't even give the PGA the notion of ever doing that... you really wanna have them force us to watch Valhalla those first 5 years in a row?

Yes, the majors have evolved over time and some, like the US and British Am have dropped to an Amateur Major only, and the Western Open, once a mMajor, was replaced by The Masters and today is extinct.

Others, like the PGA Championship, have changed their format, going from Match to Medal Play(I'd switch back if I were Top Doggie&#4322325;)

I look at something like this suggestion(I realize it's just for discussion EL &#4322882;) not so much as "creating" a Major as much as "buying" a Major, and even if it was "creating" a Major, I'm not involved in creating anything. Everything is there, in Place and if one of the present Tourneys evolves naturally into a "Major," super, it will take its place along side the Big Four.

Just my .03 worth&#4322830;

Nice thread Bro&#4322381;

Stay Well Gals & Gents,

RP

Richard, thanks for chiming in on my post. Remind these folks that things evolve. Remember the great Bobby Jones once tried to get the USGA to hold the U.S. Open at his place and they told the great Bobby Jones, NO!

The only reason we now have the Masters major is because Bobby Jones was desperate to sell memberships and invited some of his famous golfing friends to come and play a "friendly" event. Low and behold look what that became...

Crazier things have happened. Greg Norman tried to create an "international tour" years ago and everyone told him, NO! Then the PGA Tour and European Tour copied his exact ideas and created the World Golf Championships.

Fair enough, but aren't you talking about big $ and deeming it a major immediately vs. letting it evolve? That's what I understood, but maybe I missed something (being careful to check and recheck since being accused of "crapping" in someone's thread the other day for giving an opinion on what he said vs. reading his mind and knowing what he really meant, lol). Or are you simply saying $100m skips over any notions of evolution, history or tradition?

Others, like the PGA Championship, have changed their format, going from Match to Medal Play(I'd switch back if I were Top Doggie&#4322325;)

I look at something like this suggestion(I realize it's just for discussion EL &#4322882;) not so much as "creating" a Major as much as "buying" a Major, and even if it was "creating" a Major, I'm not involved in creating anything. Everything is there, in Place and if one of the present Tourneys evolves naturally into a "Major," super, it will take its place along side the Big Four.

Stay Well Gals & Gents,

RP

Fair enough, but aren't you talking about big $ and deeming it a major immediately vs. letting it evolve? That's what I understood, but maybe I missed something (being careful to check and recheck since being accused of "crapping" in someone's thread the other day for giving an opinion on what he said vs. reading his mind and knowing what he really meant, lol). Or are you simply saying $100m skips over any notions of evolution, history or tradition?

Evolving into a major... But having some serious weight behind an event would speed up the evolution!

I really like the idea of a major being hosted on same course year after year. One reason The Player's gets so much attention (besides the strong field) is the general public knows the course, i.e. 17th island). Obviously, same attitude with The Masters held at Augusta.

Recent perception is that the PGA is losing prestige. Maybe align themselves with the perfect host course for a set period of years (5?) and see how the public's course knowledge/anticipation would enhance the event?

Thoughts?

oh for goodness sakes E L, don't even give the PGA the notion of ever doing that... you really wanna have them force us to watch Valhalla those first 5 years in a row?

Haha. No not Valhalla but something spectacular and memorable. For instance, when I was younger aside from the Masters, the Player's Championship was my absolute favorite to watch. I knew the holes (most risk/reward), I played the course as a junior, and enjoyed watching the drama of 17th and Par-5 (eagle opportunity 16th, and risky tee-shot off 18th. Still enjoy it.

There's serious merit to playing the PGA on the same course every year. Maybe try a 5 year run and see how it goes?

History has proven that major championships can evolve. The U.S. Amateur and British Amateur's were once considered majors (not that long ago). The Masters tournament (Augusta invitational) was created by Bobby Jones and evolved into a major. The Western Open was at one time perceived as a major. Major championships were the tournaments "everyone entered..." The Tam O' Shanter tournament was founded by an uber wealthy man and offered the highest prize money. Everyone wanted to play and travelled from far and wide. The prize money was so great, every player set their schedule around that event and hoped to get invited. Sounds like a major to me..

My question is...What if a super wealthy billionaire staged a tournament and offered a prize structure so big nobody could refuse ($100,000,000 1st Place?). Could that evolve into a major???

ONE-HUNDRED-MILLION-w4ti3a.jpg

The fedex cup should be considered a major IMO. it's harder to win than any of them IMO. You have to be hot for several weeks in a row not just one.

That's a pretty interesting thought. The one huge problem I see is that you could win the FedEx Cup without ever winning an event all year. You could sneak into the Playoffs and then finish 2nd for four consecutive weeks. Not very likely but I believe its possible. I would personally love to see the PGA Championship go back to match play, but that's a thought for another thread.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I am all for challenging the status quo. I just don't think this is the answer. Its a solution without a problem.

The points made above about events gaining or losing "major" status were in a different era. Once the PGA Tour became a separate entity from the PGA of America in the '60's, golf at the Tour Professional level changed completely. Rather than being a collection of Club Pro's who travelled for events, and played in the biggest ones with the biggest purses, it became the "league" that it is now with players dedicated to competing year-round.

Talking about the 1910's era, etc.? That was when the amateur and Open tournaments were considered bigger than the Pro Events. Not to mention, it was before any of the current Majors had the history they have now. The Masters is the youngest major currently, and it is 83 years old.

Regarding the current state of the PGA Championship - venues have been scheduled out through 2023. However, I do think they missed the mark a little with venue selection. US Open *typically* focuses on old, classic designs (2015 and 2017 notwithstanding). To me PGA Championship's "thing" could be visiting the top new courses.

Finally, my thought is if another major comes about, it should not be US-based. We already have 3. A new major should be Asian based or rotate amongst non-North American continents. Not to mention, that would allow it to be played in the US's winter, extending the "major" season.

I am all for challenging the status quo. I just don't think this is the answer. Its a solution without a problem.

The points made above about events gaining or losing "major" status were in a different era. Once the PGA Tour became a separate entity from the PGA of America in the '60's, golf at the Tour Professional level changed completely. Rather than being a collection of Club Pro's who travelled for events, and played in the biggest ones with the biggest purses, it became the "league" that it is now with players dedicated to competing year-round.

Talking about the 1910's era, etc.? That was when the amateur and Open tournaments were considered bigger than the Pro Events. Not to mention, it was before any of the current Majors had the history they have now. The Masters is the youngest major currently, and it is 83 years old.

Regarding the current state of the PGA Championship - venues have been scheduled out through 2023. However, I do think they missed the mark a little with venue selection. US Open *typically* focuses on old, classic designs (2015 and 2017 notwithstanding). To me PGA Championship's "thing" could be visiting the top new courses.

Finally, my thought is if another major comes about, it should not be US-based. We already have 3. A new major should be Asian based or rotate amongst non-North American continents. Not to mention, that would allow it to be played in the US's winter, extending the "major" season.

That's exactly the post I was hoping for with this topic. Well done. I agree, keep hosting US Open's on historic courses and PGA should play newer places (like Whistling or Erin Hills or wherever). If another major evolves it should absolutely be outside US and preferably our fall/winter time (which coincides with weather opposite side of world).

Stay Well Gals & Gents,

RP

I absolutely agree that money and Power move the needle however I have found that this is not a definitive certainty and I saw this in the business world and I believe if ya look at the golf world, there might be a solid correlation.

Then again, maybe not, lol

What I am speaking to is basically the age, maturity and "stage" of the institution or organization(s) involved.

In a nutshell, the younger, less stable or solid the institution, the easier it is for an individual, group of individuals or organization to influence and make changes to that organization, institution or industry. Back when Cliff Roberts and Bob Jones built ANGC and then introduced the Masters Tournament, golf in general and Proffessional golf in particular was young, still a carnival like Road show in many areas and Roberts' tenacity and money combined with Bob Jones' face(he was worshipped and a National friggin hero, haha) made getting the Masters " in the loop" a tap in, so to speak.

Today??

It'd be a 70'+ two tiered left to right lag putt, lol

The game and the Tour are at a much different stage in their life cycle.

Look at The Players Championship-

It is the PGA's baby and ya don't get much more influential or powerful than the parent organization as Chief Cook, Host and Bank, lol.

The icing is it's the largest purse on Tour-

Yet, it always has been, is and for the foreseeable future will be "the 5th Major."

I'm not saying that Money, Power & Influence still don't rule the day , it's just that Golf in general and The Tour in particular are in a very very different place than they were in the '30's and I don't see anyone getting a fifth major "through" in the foreseeable future.

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Totally agree, if any tournament has a chance it's The Players but if you've heard the talk the last few years, the PGA Tour isn't pushing that in conversation and most of the players when asked acknowledge it isn't. So, that's kind of worn itself out.

And, creating special tourney, giving it a big purse, been going on for how many years and yet, not a major! Deane Beman really wanted to get it done, but again, can't just de facto "deem" it a major and assume it gets there because the Tour thinks it's a big deal.

Nicklaus has 3, Tiger only 2 so you'd think I'd be on board - but no! Although I concede plenty of great players won the tournament and a bit of a cream rising to the crop thing.

We've had the four majors since before 1943, 70+ years.

Golf (men's championship golf) doesn't so casually abandon tradition (but see, LPGA Tour who found out just inventing one more for no apparent reason really didn't make any difference).

What I honestly don't get is the "why" of any movement to declare some other tournament a major. If there is an issue with viewership, sponsors, you name it, just making up a new major isn't the cure for whatever ails, and golf is pretty healthy (until the money grubbing, and good at money grubbing, Tour takes things too far - it's only a matter of time).

I say scratch the PGA and replace it with something outside the US. Maybe something that rotates between a handful of countries.

I'm an American, but having 3 majors here doesn't make sense. The other 3 are great tournaments, but the PGA of America could​could partner with other countries' PGA organizations to rotate it to other places.

Australia, Japan, China, etc... Plenty of countries that deserve to host a major at least once.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

if anyting is "added' it should be major status back to the us am and british am..... i think of them as majors anyway , may as well give them their due

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I say scratch the PGA and replace it with something outside the US. Maybe something that rotates between a handful of countries.

I'm an American, but having 3 majors here doesn't make sense. The other 3 are great tournaments, but the PGA of America could​could partner with other countries' PGA organizations to rotate it to other places.

Australia, Japan, China, etc... Plenty of countries that deserve to host a major at least once.

While I understand this sentiment and it would probably be widely shared as we just took a poll on the board ranking the Majors and I and one other individual were the only two who ranked the PGA Championship #1 with the vast vast majority ranking it dead ... last and I have no doubt that it would lead the pack if the poll question was "Which Major should be dropped/replaced."

However, the PGA has always been my favorite and Yes, it is an emotional decision, not one based on any kind of left side reasoning, though as our species is prone to do, I will go out and data mine information to chirp when defending my choice, lol.

The fact that the PGA has hands down, THE most competitive and deepest field of the four Majors(or any tournament for that matter) and this happens to be a statistical fact, not opinion, is always my first shot at those critiquing the tourney.

None other than the Big Easy called this the hardest Tournament to win and "a PGA Tour event on steroids."

I see the Masters as Golf's answer to the Super Bowl:

A nice tournament though wayyyyy over hyped and watched by many who watch very little if any other golf tournaments throughout the year.

I mean my Mother watches the Masters for Chrissakes, and she doesn't play golf, doesn't understand golf, doesn't watch golf, and still sits there glued to the friggin TV set asking "where's Tiger," lol. In 2012, when I ran a 15'er for a double on a catastrophe of a hole(OB and unplayable), she jumped up and down and was the only individual out of about 200 peeps to say anything, clapping and yelling "Yea Richard," lol, startling the **** out of me. Madison, standing next to her, quietly informed her that people didn't normally go ape**** over a double bogie. I cherish my Mother but she only watches me or the Masters, because of Tiger and "all those beautiful flowers," haha.

The USGA turns what should be a fair test of mettle for our Country's Championahip into a four day live circus act.

The Open Championship is run as a Major should be and is my second favorite Major. Aside from being the oldest trophy(1872), the names on the Claret Jug define this game and those who laid the foundation that so many have travelled over in the decades and century Plus since. The Open Championship is THE Championship, regardless of what ole Sam said, haha.

So this brings me back to the PGA Championship and if the Open Championship is the foundation of this game, then the PGA Championship is its back bone, especially in this country.

Specifically the Class A's~

This is THEIR Tournament and I understand that there are only 20 slots however for one week, the Club Pros, driving range Pros and Teachers are livin the dream.

This is THEIR Tournament-

I was heavily influenced in my life my two such Pros, my Teacher and my Head Pro at my club growing up.

Incredible Pros~

Incredible Teachers~

Incredible Men-

There are hundreds of Pros across this country just like em and this is a salute to all of them

In talking with Bob Ford, recently retired HP at Oakmont and still HP at Seminole, who's Played in 10 PGA's(made 2 cuts) and 4 US Opens(made 2 cuts & had a T26 at Oakmont, becoming the last Host Pro since Claude Harmon(1959) to make the cut), and I asked him which Tourney would he rather win and he said while the National Championship was probably the bigger tournament, he would take the Wanamaker Trophy every time because of what it stands for-

Sorry for the rambling wreck(what's new, haha) though I will always defend the PGA Championship, even if I'm the only guy in the room doing it.

And no, I'm not into "sharing" the Tournament and rotating the Tourney.

We've gotta PGA Championship-

They deserve one??

Let em go get their own?

Baloo, my post is in no way directed at you as your views are shared by many and if I didn't have the exposure to Class A's that I had, I might well share them.

I wish you a great season :)

All the Best Gents??

RP

Later Edit: I have been saying for some time, to the usual response of "Please, STFU," that, as was mentioned above me, the PGA Championship should revert back to its original Match Play format. I realize that there is already an annual MP Tourney, however it is not a Major.

The top 108 in the world(they already get the Top-110 minus injuries) Plus 20 Class-A's whittled down across three days of 36-holes a day with a 36 hole Finals on Sunday, mirroring the original format.

They say that Medal Play determines the better Golfer and Match the better Man-

So let it be?

While I understand this sentiment and it would probably be widely shared as we just took a poll on the board ranking the Majors and I and one other individual were the only two who ranked the PGA Championship #1 with the vast vast majority ranking it dead ... last and I have no doubt that it would lead the pack if the poll question was "Which Major should be dropped/replaced."

However, the PGA has always been my favorite and Yes, it is an emotional decision, not one based on any kind of left side reasoning, though as our species is prone to do, I will go out and data mine information to chirp when defending my choice, lol.

The fact that the PGA has hands down, THE most competitive and deepest field of the four Majors(or any tournament for that matter) and this happens to be a statistical fact, not opinion, is always my first shot at those critiquing the tourney.

None other than the Big Easy called this the hardest Tournament to win and "a PGA Tour event on steroids."

I see the Masters as Golf's answer to the Super Bowl:

A nice tournament though wayyyyy over hyped and watched by many who watch very little if any other golf tournaments throughout the year.

I mean my Mother watches the Masters for Chrissakes, and she doesn't golf, doesn't understand golf, doesn't watch golf, and still sits there glued to the friggin TV set asking "where's Tiger," lol.

The USGA turns what should be a fair test of mettle for our Country's Championahip into a four day live circus act.

The Open Championship is run as a Major should be and is my second favorite Major. Aside from being the oldest trophy(1872), the names on the Claret Jug define this game and those who laid the foundation that so many have travelled over in the decades since. The Open Championship is THE Championship, regardless of what ole Sam said, haha.

So this brings me back to the PGA Championship and if the Open Championship is the foundation of this game, then the PGA Championship is its back bone, especially in this country.

Specifically the Class A's~

This is THEIR Tournament and I understand that there are only 20 slots however for one week, the Club Pros, driving range Pros and Teachers are livin the dream.

This is THEIR Tournament-

I was heavily influenced in my life my two such Pros, my Teacher and my Head Pro at my club growing up.

Incredible Pros~

Incredible Teachers~

Incredible Men-

There are hundreds of Pros across this country just like em and this is a salute to all of them

In talking with Bob Ford, recently retired HP at Oakmont and still HP at Seminole, who's Played in 10 PGA's(made 2 cuts) and 4 US Opens(made 2 cuts & had a T26 at Oakmont, becoming the last Host Pro since Claude Harmon(1959) to make the cut), and I asked him which Tourney would he rather win and he said while the National Championship was probably the bigger tournament, he would take the Wanamaker Trophy every time because of what it stands for-

Sorry for the rambling wreck(what's new, haha) though I will always defend the PGA Championship, even if I'm the only guy in the room doing it.

And no, I'm not into "sharing" the Tournament and rotating the Tourney.

We've gotta PGA Championship-

They deserve one??

Let em go get their own

All the Best Gents

RP

Well stated. This post ^^^ is the exact type of discussion-reply I was hoping would manifest.