2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do additional weights or a weight kit come with the putter when ordered

No. The old-school TM MWT weights work though.

Just be careful of using the torque wrench. If you crank the torque wrench like your driver you run the risk of stripping the threads.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Do additional weights or a weight kit come with the putter when ordered

No. The old-school TM MWT weights work though.

Just be careful of using the torque wrench. If you crank the torque wrench like your driver you run the risk of stripping the threads.

Good point, especially if you are loading it with heavier weights. They are thicker and could increase the risk of stripping the threads. They just need to be made tight, not torqued all the way. I installed some 8 gram weights on mine and I noticed some pretty serious resistance once they became snug... I stopped immediately in fear of getting them stripped or stuck.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

This site has been such a blessing but also a curse:) I happened upon this putter at Langdon after my round on Wednesday and loved the black D.J. tour model. I usually play a 33" but they only had a 34 and 35. I picked up the 34 (lovely discount from the boys there). Came home to see what you guys thought about this putter and started reading all this about the open face. Never noticed it. Played this morning and couldn't stop looking for any slight imperfection in the face. Very distracting:) Would have never crossed my mind.

What I am finding is that the shaft is just too long to fit my swing path.

Any recommendations on if I should cut it down and if I do should I change any weight in the head to compensate? Thinking about putting on a slightly thicker grip as well.

This site has been such a blessing but also a curse:) I happened upon this putter at Langdon after my round on Wednesday and loved the black D.J. tour model. I usually play a 33" but they only had a 34 and 35. I picked up the 34 (lovely discount from the boys there). Came home to see what you guys thought about this putter and started reading all this about the open face. Never noticed it. Played this morning and couldn't stop looking for any slight imperfection in the face. Very distracting:) Would have never crossed my mind.

What I am finding is that the shaft is just too long to fit my swing path.

Any recommendations on if I should cut it down and if I do should I change any weight in the head to compensate? Thinking about putting on a slightly thicker grip as well.

Using the putter on actual greens in a round made me realize there is no issue whatsoever for me with an open face.

I obviously heard the shorter putters you should change the weight, but I wonder how much it would matter. I think I would like it a little shorter as well. If any one has done this please let us know. Also are there any all black putter grips people would recommend? Love the look of the all black, grip is good but not crazy of the feel of the smoother glossy parts on the grip plus might not be salvageable if I cut the putter.

I went to the PGASS and two GG's today. All 3 store combined sold 25 of these putters today! All gone, only thing left was the platinums and one limited!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I went to the PGASS and two GG's today. All 3 store combined sold 25 of these putters today! All gone, only thing left was the platinums and one limited!

The red limited one? I like the look of that way better than the Platinum.

I almost picked one up , but I really don't think I like that long sight line?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm still stunned by how much attention this putter is getting. Good for TM for a successful marketing campaign.

Marketing campaign?

They almost did everything they could to NOT release this putter to retail.

I think it's getting so much attention because of the tour wins, and players switching to it... oh... and because it's a good putter.

Was the success of the 2-Ball and #7 because of marketing, or because it's just a good product?

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great putters, I had the DJ and loved the insert but I just couldn't align with it. It was a surprise how much I rely on putter lines I guess.

I had the "itsy bitsy" preorder one and sold it on ebay for more than what I paid for it the day DJ won the WGC.

I have since then have switched to SC Futura 5s (which has lines, LOL).

I envy you guys that are enjoying these putters.. they are really good.

I know the red has a softer insert than the black, but does the platinum one have the same insert as the black?

Ping G425 LST 9 Ventus Black 7x

Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ventus Black 8x

PXG Gen2 19 Hybrid Hzrdus Black 85 6.5

Titleist T100 4-9 Project X 6.5 Rifle

Vokey SM8 46,50,56,60

Taylormade Spider Tour Red

The red has been on my mind for awhile; I just picked up an EVNROLL ER8 but would love to add a red to the collection. It's pretty pricey in Canada though however.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Picked up a black even though I asked them to put the red on hold. :( By the time I got there someone had already grabbed the red one apparently. Black actually felt pretty soft for what I expected, but thinking that I still want to find a GG with the red model over the next couple weeks to make sure I get the right one.

Is the difference really that small between them?

Picked up a black even though I asked them to put the red on hold. :( By the time I got there someone had already grabbed the red one apparently. Black actually felt pretty soft for what I expected, but thinking that I still want to find a GG with the red model over the next couple weeks to make sure I get the right one.

Is the difference really that small between them?

Before they were on my radar (I now really want the JD version but they're sold out around everywhere I live), I thought the DJ black version was noticeably firmer but both are on the softer side. I found it easier to control the distance with the JD red and the roll was smoother than the black. I like putters in the softer side so I think that's why I preferred the JD red.

There is a user who posted a few posts above saying that the black was a bit too hot off the face. I would agree with that description. I found the roll more consistent with the red while it skidded off the black a little more on some putts.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I'm still stunned by how much attention this putter is getting. Good for TM for a successful marketing campaign.

Marketing campaign?

I think it's getting so much attention because of the tour wins, and players switching to it... oh... and because it's a good putter.

Was the success of the 2-Ball and #7 because of marketing, or because it's just a good product?

I think it's the very definition of s marketing campaign. Pay players to play it. Then hope they win. When they do sell sell sell. Am I missin. Something ? If nobody was winning with this putter it would be $99 brand new. Good on TM. They need to make some $ somewhere.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

From what I read DJ borrowed JD's back-up putter which was a black just prior to the tournament. They didn't know he would play it and when he won they went nuts when they realized the #1 and #2 players in the world were using their Spiders. So marketing in this case took a back seat to reality.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I had the chance today to roll the JD and the DJ models. For the record, both appeared to sit square at address. I have on numerous occasion on this thread referenced the amount of these putters that apparently do not sit square. Everyone will be different but these were my findings.

As others have mentioned, the DJ model is marginally firmer but still probably on the soft side. I found that it was noticeably firmer and I didn't really like it. It was very hot off the face and it skidded quite a lot. I struggled to find the correct pace for short, medium and long putts with it.

The JD model on the other hand was very nice. As I mentioned, I found it noticeably softer with a lovely roll off the face. I would say that the softness is a tad softer than the PING Sigma G line but nowhere near as soft as the Odyssey O-Works range.

I couldn't believe how good the JD model was from 25 feet or longer. Every single one of my putts were within 2 feet. I had decent results as well from medium range.

What pains me to say is that I really struggled with putts from inside 6 feet or so. I couldn't seem to gauge the pace of them at all, particularly downhill putts with a moderate to high level of break.

I tested most of the current blades as of late and I got best results and feel from the PING Sigma G Anser. I knew getting up today that my next putter was going to either be the Sigma G Anser or a Spider Tour.

In short, I was much better at short putts with the Anser, very similar with both putters and medium distances and better at lag putts with the Spider.

Personally, I think it's more important to have confidence over putts inside 10 feet so I ordered myself custom PING Sigma G Anser with my own specs.

While I'm hoping that I will have a long and prosperous relationship with my Sigma G Anser, please don't be too surprised to find me writing on here within a couple of months saying that I purchased a JD Spider.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Well, I did it - I pulled the stock grip off my DJ and replaced it with a Superstroke Fatso 5.0. I just couldn't keep my wrists out of the roll with that narrow Taylormade grip.

I am finding it much more consistent for me now - although I have only swung it on a warm-up green and not actually in play.

My favorite thing is that the new grip lets me almost line up my hands directly across from one another. That really evens up my shoulders at the start of my backswing. I am getting a much cleaner start now.

It does look a bit like I am roasting a marshmallow on a stick with the big Fatso on top of it - but it's working so far.

Edit to add: I did feel slightly bad today - I took my 7 yo son with me to the club for breakfast. A daddy/son morning. I challenged him to a putt off after breakfast. I told him that if he won, he could have a cup of cheetos out of the clubhouse. He would get two strokes (and I would get one) and whoever got closest to the hole would win.

He hit his first shot from about 25 feet and actually shockingly ran it up to about 2 feet away. Feeling cocky, he then scrubbed the next one on the turf, and the ball died about 8 inches from the cup.

I took my stroke and holed out. Miraculously.

I let him have the cheetos anyway. Don't tell mom.

Marketing campaign?

I think it's the very definition of s marketing campaign. Pay players to play it. Then hope they win. When they do sell sell sell. Am I missin. Something ? If nobody was winning with this putter it would be $99 brand new. Good on TM. They need to make some $ somewhere.

Normally, I'd agree... but if that was they case, they would've moved into "sell sell sell" mode right after Jason Day won the PGA and became #1 in the world.

Besides, using that logic, any product that has been successful at retail is because of marketing. That may be half true, but you still need a quality product to market, or it will fall flat.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

From what I read DJ borrowed JD's back-up putter which was a black just prior to the tournament. They didn't know he would play it and when he won they went nuts when they realized the #1 and #2 players in the world were using their Spiders. So marketing in this case took a back seat to reality.

I thought it was his brother/ caddies putter?

You're both sort of correct.

DJ was practicing with a red model and liked it but he didn't want to use exactly the same one as JD. He turned to his brother/caddie and said "don't you have a black one". He did. He borrowed it and never gave it back.....well.....I imagine he did eventually after they made him one.

You're both sort of correct.

DJ was practicing with a red model and liked it but he didn't want to use exactly the same one as JD. He turned to his brother/caddie and said "don't you have a black one". He did. He borrowed it and never gave it back.....well.....I imagine he did eventually after they made him one.

I would actually love to see WITBs of pro's caddies.

There really has not been any true 'marketing" with the putters. Zero ads on TV. Very good players are gaming a highly recognizable putter and people are taking notice. Lots of examples of this with way more marketing dollars behind it, the R11 white driver and the SuperStroke grips are two that come to my mind. People can actually see what the best in the world are using and they want it. TM could easily make the M series all black but it would not standout on TV.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

I agree that this is the furthest from "successful marketing" that a well selling product can be. J day started playing this putter two years ago and many people, including myself, were begging tm to release it and they inexplicably refused to until now. I have yet to see a commercial and I don't think they are paying people to use this putter, there are a number of non taylormade guys playing it.