Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i was trying different weights and while nonchalantly screwing the 2 gram back in I went to torque the wrench and it snapped off the top of the weight. It's now flush in there and I have no way to extract it. Anybody have ideas on how to remove it? Where can I get another 2 gram weight?

I did exactly this and took it back to Golfsmith/Golf Galaxy. They handed me a new one, and sent that back as a defect to TM.

Just got done installing the spry-evo aluminum insert. It is very nice quality and it takes the hollow feel away. It's just slightly harder then the OG agsi insert that was in the OG spider. This is exactly what I wanted it took a good putter and made it as close to perfect as I can get it. The insert is harder then the pure roll but not to the point of clicky. Just a nice feel.

Just got done installing the spry-evo aluminum insert. It is very nice quality and it takes the hollow feel away. It's just slightly harder then the OG agsi insert that was in the OG spider. This is exactly what I wanted it took a good putter and made it as close to perfect as I can get it. The insert is harder then the pure roll but not to the point of clicky. Just a nice feel.

Nice work! I have been thinking of doing the same with one of my oddysey putters. Taylormade had aluminum inserts on their past ghost line and they felt pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

I purchased one of the Limited edition Itsy Bitsy Spider off of the BST.

I am looking for a putter that bridges that massive gap between my heavy 400 gram two putter and the 340 gram blade. The Heavy putter works great inside of 10 ft but is not very good for lag putting. The blade is much better for the lag putting but not so confidence inspiring inside 10ft.

What I have found with this putter that is working pretty good is I have started to vary my grip position with the length of the putt. If I am lag putting I am gripping down to effectively lower the swing weight feel (or slightly counter balance with an 1" or 1 1/2" of the grip above my hands) and gripping at the very end of the grip to have the heavier swing weight feel for putts inside of 10 ft. As with anything the results might be temporary but so far it is working pretty good.

I do really like how this putter lines up for me.

I have had the spider black since march

This thing has transformed my putting

One thing I love about this thing is how the ball does not jump off the face. It makes distance control so much easier. I get out of it what I put in.

I found with my scottys is the all really sprung off the face and I could never judge the speed properly. With the spider it is spot on.

Easy to line up, like the stock grip

Perfect, most stable putter I have ever gamed

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Finally bought the JD version. I have both and man! No wonder why so many pros are using the JD. It's softer and distance control is phenomenal. This putter will be in the bag for a very long time.

Agreed! I like the looks of the DJ version better but prefer the feel of the JD.

I wish I could get the JD version in black from TM.

Finally bought the JD version. I have both and man! No wonder why so many pros are using the JD. It's softer and distance control is phenomenal. This putter will be in the bag for a very long time.

Agreed! I like the looks of the DJ version better but prefer the feel of the JD.

I wish I could get the JD version in black from TM.

That would be sick!!

I have had my DJ putter since the pre-release. I was putting decent with it, better than my last putter but not as good as I thought I could.

As I was watching Sergio and Rosey tear through Augusta with the claw grip I started tinkering around with the claw. I purposely made myself hit at least 100 putts a night with the claw and nothing else.

Needless to say, I love it. It has really changed my putting. I am holing many, many more intermediate distance putts and my distance control has actually improved with it.

I am the opposite of you guys above. I prefer the red putter but don't do well with softer inserts. I would actually enjoy the reverse of what y'all would want-maybe we should get together and change putters/inserts.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

I keep reading on here that you can change the weights?? I have the Red coming in a couple of days and have looked on both the TM site and Ebay and cannot find any weights for this putter. Can someone please let me know where I can find these weights?

They are just the same weights they use in the r7 quad driver

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed) I would love to remove the insert, then take the dampening material off and put the face plate back. But I am too worried it won't be so easy to do. So it may be FS. I used my tour BB8 the last two rounds and putted super especially on longer putts. We will see what happens. If the greens were more normal it would be solidly in the bag.

Most people prefer lighter swing weights on slow greens. Like around D-0. Maybe you should give it a try with lighter weights. Two 20's has got to be in the high E range. Crazy heavy.

I'm really confused as to why so many people want this putter so abnormally heavy. D-4 to D-7 has been better players preferred putter SW weight for decades. Stock Scotties come in this range.

Everyone immediately wanting to stick 12 or more gram weights in this thing is bizarre to me. It must feel like swinging a brick. I actually have 12 gram weights on mine but Im playing it at 32.5".

When I first got the putter I took it to the practice green and putted with it so I know how it is stock. Why would someone use a lighter putter for slower greens? That makes no sense at all. My heavier putters get the ball to the hole with a controlled stroke w/o any problems. But the lighter ones come up short.

Can make a more aggressive stroke with the lighter putter, tend not to decel, which is a killer on slow greens. There is no right way, but the general rule of thumb for the 30 years I have paid attention is lighter for slower greens.

HVe to disagree. Always heavier on slow greens. Much easier to get the bal to the hole. More mass equals less length of swing. Lighter putter on slick greens. Use w heavy brick on slick greens and you can't hit it easy enough.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Next year about this time you are going to see a rash of these used Putters for sale online to make way for the next best greatest putter. This happens every year and people's putting average stays about the same. Golfers should invest their time and resources in putting technique not putters. I wonder what the ratio is of money spent on equipment vs money spent on lessons and practice.

Next year about this time you are going to see a rash of these used Putters for sale online to make way for the next best greatest putter. This happens every year and people's putting average stays about the same. Golfers should invest their time and resources in putting technique not putters. I wonder what the ratio is of money spent on equipment vs money spent on lessons and practice.

You're probably correct, but being that this is a site saturated with golf ho's who buy and change out clubs regularly (myself included), your statement pretty much goes for every club that we discuss around here. Ping's i200 irons will "fall back" when the next Ping i iron is announced. The Callaway Epic. TM M2. All get bumped at some point.

Putters are slightly different though, and don't always get bumped for the "latest and greatest". Let's see what staying power the Spider Tour has in professional bags. So far, so good. I think that Rahm, Garcia, DJ, JD, have a pretty good sense of what they need to do to score low and win tournaments. I can go in my basement and pull out some really nice Ping, Cameron, Odyssey, Yes! putters amongst others. Not that I am doing that right now, but if I did, it doesn't take anything away from the Spider Tour. These are very nice putters--still very much enjoying mine.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

That logic is not very GolfWRX-ey of you Billy

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

no! tell me it ain't so!!! it can't be...........it's deffo the putter I tell ya. "I could've been a contender, I could've been somebody".(with the right putter) ;) ;)

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed) I would love to remove the insert, then take the dampening material off and put the face plate back. But I am too worried it won't be so easy to do. So it may be FS. I used my tour BB8 the last two rounds and putted super especially on longer putts. We will see what happens. If the greens were more normal it would be solidly in the bag.

Most people prefer lighter swing weights on slow greens. Like around D-0. Maybe you should give it a try with lighter weights. Two 20's has got to be in the high E range. Crazy heavy.

I'm really confused as to why so many people want this putter so abnormally heavy. D-4 to D-7 has been better players preferred putter SW weight for decades. Stock Scotties come in this range.

Everyone immediately wanting to stick 12 or more gram weights in this thing is bizarre to me. It must feel like swinging a brick. I actually have 12 gram weights on mine but Im playing it at 32.5".

When I first got the putter I took it to the practice green and putted with it so I know how it is stock. Why would someone use a lighter putter for slower greens? That makes no sense at all. My heavier putters get the ball to the hole with a controlled stroke w/o any problems. But the lighter ones come up short.

Can make a more aggressive stroke with the lighter putter, tend not to decel, which is a killer on slow greens. There is no right way, but the general rule of thumb for the 30 years I have paid attention is lighter for slower greens.

HVe to disagree. Always heavier on slow greens. Much easier to get the bal to the hole. More mass equals less length of swing. Lighter putter on slick greens. Use w heavy brick on slick greens and you can't hit it easy enough.

Well somebody has to be "wrong" in this debate...may as well be you :)!

SPEED MODIFIER #1: HEAD WEIGHT

Edel-Speed_1-Head_Weight-350x350_large.png?10240126583704723816

HEAD WEIGHT IS exactly what you think it is - how much does the putter head weigh? The best overall headweight for you is the one that matches the speed of the majority of greens you play. If, however, you tend to play a number of different courses, then your best putter is the one that allows you to you to easily add weight or remove it, since you’re going to experience several different green speeds over the course of a year and you will need the ability to adjust.

As a rule you should use a lighter-weight putter on slow greens and a heavier-weight putter on fast greens. Our Vari-Weight putter model allows you to change head weight on your putter to adjust to green speed of the course you are playing. Through the fitting process we can change the head-weight up to 64 grams in a matter of seconds. It is an important part of our fitting process; allowing us to fit you for a putter that is of optimal weight to your stroke type and playing conditions, maximizing your distance control.

agreed to an extent...

Have you every used the Spider? If so, maybe you would understand?

I used an older generation Spider Limited in a golf tournament 4 years ago. Our group tied 1st and we had a putt off on the practice green. Being as the nobody knew there would be a "playoff," my clubs were already packed up in the car. The group we matched against all had their sticks... one guy had the white Spider (not sure what era Spider?) and I asked if I could use it. Fell in love with the feel and ended up beating his group with his putter. Lame way to end a tournament, but it was a work function. Since then, i always wanted a Spider...

Fast forward to last June 2016. TM releases the Spider "Limited" and i bought a few (yes, i bought 4). The putter is amazing. Period. I recently sold my used Limited on ebay a few weeks ago and in the meantime, while on sale, i switched back to the Newport 2 Scotty. Drastic difference in feel and confidence. Everything is subject to the individuals liking, but I can attest that the TM Spiders are legit. No comparison in regards to my previous putters i have gamed.

FYI - i now game the Spider Tour JD and love it too.

Ahhh, the life of a club ho. Rinse and repeat...

I would agree when it comes to drivers. And slightly when it comes to the other swinging clubs but with a putter it is so much feel based that anything which gives the player confidence will Actually help.so there's more pleacbo at play than with other clubs in the bag

Personally I think these are some of the ugliest putters I have ever seen. If I was given one I might try it out for a few sessions on the putting green and maybe use it in play. I own a few mallet putters but mostly blade style. I don't know about big ugly putters and their attraction. I had a Ping Craz E and a Cameron Futura(the big one) and for the life of me couldn't get over the size or ugliness, though I putted fair with both. And what are those little rocket looking things supposed to do?

After looking at your irons (and I'm a Ping fanboy), you aren't allowed to call anyone's equipment ugly...
Thanks for that update. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to speak my mind and form my own opinion here.

Geez Dude, learn to recognize a joke, will ya ? :rolleyes:

I mean ya coulda had Ping Zings in your signature and then where would we be ? :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The platinum is crap because it's hollow.

Just bought one yesterday, went straight to the practice green at my local range. Pure garbage, $220 is criminal for this. The feeling is dead, sounds like crap, and I could not get the distance control down. I spent an hour with this thing. Bringing it back tonight for a credit. Looks nice though!

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

agreed to an extent...

Have you every used the Spider? If so, maybe you would understand?

I used an older generation Spider Limited in a golf tournament 4 years ago. Our group tied 1st and we had a putt off on the practice green. Being as the nobody knew there would be a "playoff," my clubs were already packed up in the car. The group we matched against all had their sticks... one guy had the white Spider (not sure what era Spider?) and I asked if I could use it. Fell in love with the feel and ended up beating his group with his putter. Lame way to end a tournament, but it was a work function. Since then, i always wanted a Spider...

Fast forward to last June 2016. TM releases the Spider "Limited" and i bought a few (yes, i bought 4). The putter is amazing. Period. I recently sold my used Limited on ebay a few weeks ago and in the meantime, while on sale, i switched back to the Newport 2 Scotty. Drastic difference in feel and confidence. Everything is subject to the individuals liking, but I can attest that the TM Spiders are legit. No comparison in regards to my previous putters i have gamed.

FYI - i now game the Spider Tour JD and love it too.

actually I have tried them in the store a few times and was impressed with how they felt. They have great feedback great balance to them and I think I could game one. Just the same, I don't think it would make that much difference over my current putter and odyssey mallet. Probably what would help me would be better putting technique, but I get a lot of compliments on my putting skills for some reason, evidently I do ok. $300 is the upper range of what I would spend on a putter, probably $100 more than I would like, but it would be a consideration based on how the putter felt when I demoed it.