Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just back from a really bad day with my odyssey #7- I have zero confidence in it now. Then I saw on this thread these putters have toe hang? is this true for the JD and the DJ one? I have a strong arc but love the look of these mallets and apparently I NEED a toe hang putter which are mostly blades and I suck big time with blades.....for years......

I like a firm insert but not hard so which of these (or both) suits that do you feel?

Can anyone comment on the difference in sound between the red and black? Have the black and like it alot but don't like the sound it makes at impact. Is the red different?

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

just back from a really bad day with my odyssey #7- I have zero confidence in it now. Then I saw on this thread these putters have toe hang? is this true for the JD and the DJ one? I have a strong arc but love the look of these mallets and apparently I NEED a toe hang putter which are mostly blades and I suck big time with blades.....for years......

I like a firm insert but not hard so which of these (or both) suits that do you feel?

one other question I cant see on the TM sight. Is the toe hang due to the weights in the back or the way the putter is made?

The DJ black is a tad firmer than the JD red but both putters are on the soft side.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

one other question I cant see on the TM sight. Is the toe hang due to the weights in the back or the way the putter is made?

Yes they have toe hang, both the red and the black. The black is a more firm insert and the red is a slightly softer insert.

I have a black and it's firm but not overly. You'd be fine with either.

The toe hang is because of the design.

Can anyone comment on the difference in sound between the red and black? Have the black and like it alot but don't like the sound it makes at impact. Is the red different?

I found that the black had a slightly higher pitched click to it and the red was a slightly lower pitched, muted sound.

Of course, it all depends what ball you're playing too.

With the TP5 I don't find either of them to be too high pitched.

just back from a really bad day with my odyssey #7- I have zero confidence in it now. Then I saw on this thread these putters.......

One bad day with your Odyssey number 7 and you're ready to give it up? Lost total confidence in it? In yourself? Ahhh, the ole "new putter going to make everything right" trick. Good luck, they do feel great when I demoed them.

I played with a red spider putter at golf galaxy this morning and it felt like I was hitting a ball with a hollow can. Not my thing.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

just back from a really bad day with my odyssey #7- I have zero confidence in it now. Then I saw on this thread these putters.......

One bad day with your Odyssey number 7 and you're ready to give it up? Lost total confidence in it? In yourself? Ahhh, the ole "new putter going to make everything right" trick. Good luck, they do feel great when I demoed them.

yep, I'm a WRX'er

I have the DJ and I hate the hollow sound that I believe is due to the insert. I went and ordered a Spry-evo aluminum insert for it and I'm gonna change it to that and see if that helps. I like the putter other then that stupid plastic insert. I wish Taylormade never would have abandoned the og AGSI insert it was solid.

I have the DJ and I hate the hollow sound that I believe is due to the insert. I went and ordered a Spry-evo aluminum insert for it and I'm gonna change it to that and see if that helps. I like the putter other then that stupid plastic insert. I wish Taylormade never would have abandoned the og AGSI insert it was solid.

Interesting idea, I'm curious to know how the putter will feel differently and whether the performance will drop off due to the pure roll insert missing

For anyone following along at home, for the time being I have removed my temporary pinstripe sight line from my DJ. In the end, I just did not think it added any value and was likely more of a distraction. I think it looks cleaner without one, and is still plenty easy to align. Time will tell.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

For anyone following along at home, for the time being I have removed my temporary pinstripe sight line from my DJ. In the end, I just did not think it added any value and was likely more of a distraction. I think it looks cleaner without one, and is still plenty easy to align. Time will tell.

Thanks for the update. I was curious to see how it played, and whether you found it worth it or not.

I'm back to the standard 2g weights. Bought 12g weights and loved it on the practice green but played a round with them and I seemed to lose all feel in the putter. Went back to the 2g and then I got my feel back and started holing putts again. Lag putting as been much better with the standard weights too.

If anyone wants to try these 12g weights, just give me a few bucks for shipping and they are yours.

I removed homeade sightline also. Like you it did not enhance performance and was more of a distraction

Who has swapped the grips on their spider to a pistol SS GTR or something similar? I am putting very well with mine but think I could e better with a more comfortable grip

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Who has swapped the grips on their spider to a pistol SS GTR or something similar? I am putting very well with mine but think I could e better with a more comfortable grip

I didn't hate the DJ grip (Winn midsize), but I did cut it off for a Flatso 1.0, which I feel very comfortable with. SS definitely goes nicely with the Spider Tour. I would never play with the JD grip, which is too thin for my liking.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Did your swap the weights in the head for something heavier when going to a new grip? The gtr 1.0 is heavier then the stock Winn

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Personally I think these are some of the ugliest putters I have ever seen. If I was given one I might try it out for a few sessions on the putting green and maybe use it in play. I own a few mallet putters but mostly blade style. I don't know about big ugly putters and their attraction. I had a Ping Craz E and a Cameron Futura(the big one) and for the life of me couldn't get over the size or ugliness, though I putted fair with both. And what are those little rocket looking things supposed to do?

Personally I think these are some of the ugliest putters I have ever seen. If I was given one I might try it out for a few sessions on the putting green and maybe use it in play. I own a few mallet putters but mostly blade style. I don't know about big ugly putters and their attraction. I had a Ping Craz E and a Cameron Futura(the big one) and for the life of me couldn't get over the size or ugliness, though I putted fair with both. And what are those little rocket looking things supposed to do?

After looking at your irons (and I'm a Ping fanboy), you aren't allowed to call anyone's equipment ugly...

Little rocket things? You mean weights?

This putter is neither big nor ugly...it's 'bigly" for my game though!

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

After looking at your irons (and I'm a Ping fanboy), you aren't allowed to call anyone's equipment ugly...
Thanks for that update. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to speak my mind and form my own opinion here.

They look like rockets to me.

LOL

Thanks for that update. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to speak my mind and form my own opinion here.

They look like rockets to me.

LOL

Not a problem - I'm here to help. You weren't trying to stir the pot at all, right?

Coming from my spider black i used from December '16 until a couple of days ago, they are good putters, stood out to me being a mallet with toe hang, thats seriously a rarity and quite frustrating to find, prior to this i have a spider CB OS tour proto with a slant neck but the insert and overall head size were not something i liked. The DJ black spider was really a great change for me and i had a lot of good putting days with it...

Then came conference championships in college this past weekend and i really did not like it for lag putting on these fast greens, they were hitting over 12 the entire weekend. It does excel from 3-12 feet but i felt a lot difficulty in lag putting, the feel just wasnt there and going back to my DH89 yesterday and today i feel like my stroke is good enough to still hit good putts with that at closer distances, and i feel a big difference in lag putting.

After some thought i think it is because of weight distribution, obviously in a blade the weight is on the outside of the putter very close to the face, with the weight out in the wings on the spider, moved very far to the back of of the putter it just felt uncomfortable taking bigger strokes with it.

Just wanted to offer my input and thoughts on this "hot" putter after quite a few months with it, i really loved it, and then it faded on me quite a bit. Going to nationals next week in hot Florida on fast, undulating, big greens and i know lag putting is going to be critical, so i am feeling much more comfortable with the blade. Ask away if anyone has some questions!

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Coming from my spider black i used from December '16 until a couple of days ago, they are good putters, stood out to me being a mallet with toe hang, thats seriously a rarity and quite frustrating to find, prior to this i have a spider CB OS tour proto with a slant neck but the insert and overall head size were not something i liked. The DJ black spider was really a great change for me and i had a lot of good putting days with it...

Then came conference championships in college this past weekend and i really did not like it for lag putting on these fast greens, they were hitting over 12 the entire weekend. It does excel from 3-12 feet but i felt a lot difficulty in lag putting, the feel just wasnt there and going back to my DH89 yesterday and today i feel like my stroke is good enough to still hit good putts with that at closer distances, and i feel a big difference in lag putting.

After some thought i think it is because of weight distribution, obviously in a blade the weight is on the outside of the putter very close to the face, with the weight out in the wings on the spider, moved very far to the back of of the putter it just felt uncomfortable taking bigger strokes with it.

Just wanted to offer my input and thoughts on this "hot" putter after quite a few months with it, i really loved it, and then it faded on me quite a bit. Going to nationals next week in hot Florida on fast, undulating, big greens and i know lag putting is going to be critical, so i am feeling much more comfortable with the blade. Ask away if anyone has some questions!

I can echo a lot of what you are saying. I have been using the red JD for the past 3 weeks or so. I was thinking of buying the red. My friend is away for a month so he said use his red JD and make a decision after playing a few rounds with it I want to purchase one.

Like yourself, lag putting was an issue. Even on fast greens, I felt I had to hit it harder than usual and in turn, my pace started become inconsistent.

I also think that the weight distribution of blades suit me better as well particularly with lag putts.

Each to their own but I personally found that the honeymoon period lasted very quickly with this putter for me. It's not a case of not sticking with it for longer, it's just that the novelty diminished quite quickly for me and I wasn't putting well consistently.

Maybe I just needed a brake to reinvigorate my putter,

but I've gone back to a blade and it feels great,

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star