Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DJ Spider adventure has been fun. I'm still loving it and still gaming it with no intentions of trying anything else for the foreseeable future.

But I started with a 35" DJ from the BST that I got for a steal. It had a standard Golf Pride putter grip. Tested it extensively for about 2 weeks and it kicked my Byron out of the bag. Was gripping down slightly on the grip so I decided to go ahead and take off an inch. Trimmed it down, installed a Superstroke GTR Black Tie and then something was just off. I didn't enjoy the putter anymore.

Not sure what it was, but it didn't quite feel the same anymore. Short putts just didn't stay on line and the roll just didn't feel as good.. Not sure if it was the putter or just me but I had to make a change again.

So I added a 0.5" extension, pulled the SS and put on a Lamkin Deep Etched grip and it felt better again. Then I added 2 12g weights and it feels even better now. I enjoy the heavier feeling of the head now and it feels as stable as ever. Still rolling pure and still loving the feel of it. It's not going anywhere and I dont think i've enjoyed a putter as much as this Spider.

/blogpost

I had my DJ model cut down to 33.25" and put on a Tour SNSR Countour 104CC. I have some 10 and 14 gram weights on the way but seeing as they're coming from overseas the ETA is May 05 - June 15... hoping for the May delivery date!

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Degree - HC EvenFlow Blue 65
Callaway XR 4 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD DJ 8X
Titleist 816 H2 21 Degrees - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85Hybrid X
Srixon U65 20 Degrees (Bent 18) - HC HZRDUS BLK 105G 6.5
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50,55,60 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TeI3 Newport 2

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed) I would love to remove the insert, then take the dampening material off and put the face plate back. But I am too worried it won't be so easy to do. So it may be FS. I used my tour BB8 the last two rounds and putted super especially on longer putts. We will see what happens. If the greens were more normal it would be solidly in the bag.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Kevin Tway has a Tour Red Spider with a sight line.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

With 5 victories in 16 events in 2017 it makes sense why these putters are hot. That is a very high percentage of wins for one model with victories by three different players.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

I think the big putting brands all have at least one mallet with toe hang. But I won't be at all surprised if the likes of PING, Scotty Cameron and Odyssey market heavily mallets with toe hang with a similar offset to the Spider Tours to compete with the success of the Spider Tours before the year is out.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed)

You don't think that your troubles getting the ball to the hole might be related to having two 20g weights installed? You're talking about a 391g head-weight in that instance, which is quite heavy.

I experimented putting two 16g weights in the head, and even that felt extremely heavy and I was coming up short. Two 4g weights felt ok to me, but I frankly went back to the stock 2g weights and a 355g total head-weight.

Just a thought.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed)

You don't think that your troubles getting the ball to the hole might be related to having two 20g weights installed? You're talking about a 391g head-weight in that instance, which is quite heavy.

I experimented putting two 16g weights in the head, and even that felt extremely heavy and I was coming up short. Two 4g weights felt ok to me, but I frankly went back to the stock 2g weights and a 355g total head-weight.

Just a thought.

Yea, I tried 2 10gram weights in mine and was shocked at the difference. I went straight back to the stock weights. I always liked a heavier putter but this one is still has a pretty heavy feel just with the stock weights. With the 10 gram weights I lost all distance control.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

I had it for about 4 weeks (1st 2 weeks, glorious) next 2 weeks ready for a divorce. I have the DJ Black stock 35", removed stock grip and put superstroke flatso 2.0.

Then onto the Edel Brick train, now back to my gamer from 2009..................

Oh this game, it's always the equipment, never, I mean, never ME.

#PutterCollectGettingSwolleAgain

I had it for about 4 weeks (1st 2 weeks, glorious) next 2 weeks ready for a divorce. I have the DJ Black stock 35", removed stock grip and put superstroke flatso 2.0.

Then onto the Edel Brick train, now back to my gamer from 2009..................

Oh this game, it's always the equipment, never, I mean, never ME.

#PutterCollectGettingSwolleAgain

Yes, it's NEVER me either! Always the putter haha! I'm 99% sure that if I purchase this putter, this will happen to me as well. I feel after 2 weeks or so that the honeymoon phase will come to an abrupt end and I'll wonder why I spent 300 bucks on it. I always revert back to a PING Anser so I'm semi convinced that I made the right decision to purchase a Sigma G Anser(which feels awesome to me) instead of a Spider Tour.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Has not having a sight line made a difference for anyone? I've almost bought the DJ model several times, but have hesitated due to lack of a line. I always align my ball, then my putter (Scotty Squareback). I'm not sure if not focusing on alignment would be a net positive or negative - I rarely 3 putt, but I miss way more 5-10 footers than I should.

To me, alignment is actually much easier without the line. I use the face to line up, just like I do with my irons.

Also, I tended to focus on the sight line itself, and it bothered me too see the line move during the backswing.

Short putts up to 10 feet have been awesome with this putter. Long putts, not so much. I tend to leave them short of overcompensate. I suspect the heavier weight is causing this (my old putter is 330g)

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Anyone getting the feeling these are getting hyped just like when the White Hot 2-Ball came out?

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Taking the insert out is a no go for most, I believe they drill the face out and replace if necessary. The face is just held on by 3M tape.

I have 2 8g weights in mine and replaced the grip with a black iomic textured grip. It absolutely feels heavy but rolls the ball great, I will have to see if distance will be an issue. My insert is the older black/white pure roll which I prefer to the all black stock one.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Anyone getting the feeling these are getting hyped just like when the White Hot 2-Ball came out?

I'd say the widespread current adoption on tour definitely has some "follow the leader" in it, but Spider Tour winning 3 of the last 6 majors in the hands of three different players is remarkable. I don't think 2-Ball ever had that kind of run.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I'd say the widespread current adoption on tour definitely has some "follow the leader" in it, but Spider Tour winning 3 of the last 6 majors in the hands of three different players is remarkable. I don't think 2-Ball ever had that kind of run.

Bear in mind, this Spider Tour is a relatively novel putter, hence another reason why I think it is generating a lot of excitement. I mean, the tour validation and success is great and all, but I've been watching guys win with 2 balls and Odyssey #7 mallets for years without running out to buy one. With the Spider Tour, you get a high MOI mallet head but with a slant neck, half-shaft offset, and toe hang. It truly is not the same old double-bend shaft, full shaft offset, face balanced head, etc. Will it be in my bag in a month, a year, two years? I have no idea. But I am excited to give the Spider Tour a good run, as it checks off a lot of my boxes. I had some nice success with the Spider Tour black in its inaugural round last weekend--made some nice putts to save par or bogie.

Probably an early release or a tour issued one. My guess is early release, there were a bunch at the PGA show that had the Itsy Bitsy bottoms.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Bear in mind, this Spider Tour is a relatively novel putter, hence another reason why I think it is generating a lot of excitement. I mean, the tour validation and success is great and all, but I've been watching guys win with 2 balls and Odyssey #7 mallets for years without running out to buy one. With the Spider Tour, you get a high MOI mallet head but with a slant neck, half-shaft offset, and toe hang. It truly is not the same old double-bend shaft, full shaft offset, face balanced head, etc. Will it be in my bag in a month, a year, two years? I have no idea. But I am excited to give the Spider Tour a good run, as it checks off a lot of my boxes. I had some nice success with the Spider Tour black in its inaugural round last weekend--made some nice putts to save par or bogie.

I'm sorry but the tour use is the only reason people are buying this putter. People don't notice it because of the flow neck, but because it is red. That's why anyone, apart from diehard equipment freaks, noticed what Sergio was using to win the Masters.

Hell I am one of those equipment freaks and even I didn't notice the neck shape or slightly smaller size until I started reading up on this putter on this board.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Scotty Newport 1.5

I love that neck on these putters. I would never get one because I like blades a lot better. Anyone know any blade putter with a similar neck?

Scotty Newport 1.5

Oh yeah I saw those, tough to find one in good condition though. I didn't want a black one, which is all I can seem to find without any dings on it.

I have the putter and love it, but DJ won the US Open with a Cameron blade. Swapped to the spider in the playoffs

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5* with Ventus Blue TR 6X
Srixon ZX 13.5* with Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX 18* with Ventus Blue 7X
Srixon ZXU 20* with Tour AD-DI 95x
Srixon ZX7 5-PW with Modus 125x
Cleveland Zipcore 51* Mid with Modus 125x, 56* Full with Modus 125w, 61* Mid with Modus 125w
Odyssey 2 Ball Ten Armlock
Titleist ProV1

Great putters, I had the DJ and loved the insert but I just couldn't align with it. It was a surprise how much I rely on putter lines I guess.

I had the "itsy bitsy" preorder one and sold it on ebay for more than what I paid for it the day DJ won the WGC.

I have since then have switched to SC Futura 5s (which has lines, LOL).

I envy you guys that are enjoying these putters.. they are really good.

Likewise, went back to my trusty SC Red X5, I think I will get the Futura 5MB next. It's amazing how different it feels from a milled putter from an insert. Immediately, I started draining putts again.

Well, just another $300 dollar test, because of the hype. It's amazing, I have spent $800+ dollars on the Epic and Spider putter, just to go back to my old clubs :-(

Decided to give the Spider Tour Black a little run with an alignment line. Used 1/8" pinstripe tape. Easy experiment, so we shall see.

303a2b37f24ae026e888252bfee4ae6c.jpg

915cdd3d3ef1fb9436720e356b52b8e0.jpg

Just a thought.

I am experimenting with the weights. One problem is these putter don't seem to like being cut down. Mine is at 33". (Toying with the idea of extending it 1") I ran into someone on the practice green who was putting with one and talked to him for a while. His was 34 or 35" and stock weight. I tried it and it seemed much easier on long putts. The problem is more the muni greens I play with inconsistent green speeds all of which makes distance control harder. I use no wrist action at all when putting so it is a smooth swing and not real fast.

The only other thing I miss is the solid feel of a nice metal face. I have owned one insert putter in my life and that was about two decades ago. I am far from giving up yet. Now I am chipping better and eliminating those long putts so it may go back into the bag. I dream of nice fast greens that roll true. :cry:

Several of my putters are naked so the lack of a sight line is no issue with me.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"