Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw Blixt is using a red one with a plumbers neck....I havent seen that mentioned...anyone seen one with a plumbers neck yet ??

I just noticed this today as well. I know there were some TM Spider putters in the past that had plumbers necks. I would definitely be intrigued by a DJ or Day version but with a plumbers neck. Most of my success putting has come with a plumbers neck putter of some sort.

Any of the experts out there know anything?

When I put the sole of this putter flat on the ground, the shaft leans backward. Is that right or should I get it bent? I'm afraid if it is bent, the loft will go way up.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

When I put the sole of this putter flat on the ground, the shaft leans backward. Is that right or should I get it bent? I'm afraid if it is bent, the loft will go way up.

When the shaft is vertical the back of the sole should be slightly off the ground. No need to bend it, it's that way so it doesn't scuff the ground during your stroke.

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed) I would love to remove the insert, then take the dampening material off and put the face plate back. But I am too worried it won't be so easy to do. So it may be FS. I used my tour BB8 the last two rounds and putted super especially on longer putts. We will see what happens. If the greens were more normal it would be solidly in the bag.

Most people prefer lighter swing weights on slow greens. Like around D-0. Maybe you should give it a try with lighter weights. Two 20's has got to be in the high E range. Crazy heavy.

I'm really confused as to why so many people want this putter so abnormally heavy. D-4 to D-7 has been better players preferred putter SW weight for decades. Stock Scotties come in this range.

Everyone immediately wanting to stick 12 or more gram weights in this thing is bizarre to me. It must feel like swinging a brick. I actually have 12 gram weights on mine but Im playing it at 32.5".

I love the putter but hate the insert. On long putts this putter just does not get the ball to the hole on muni greens. (two 20 gram weights installed) I would love to remove the insert, then take the dampening material off and put the face plate back. But I am too worried it won't be so easy to do. So it may be FS. I used my tour BB8 the last two rounds and putted super especially on longer putts. We will see what happens. If the greens were more normal it would be solidly in the bag.

Most people prefer lighter swing weights on slow greens. Like around D-0. Maybe you should give it a try with lighter weights. Two 20's has got to be in the high E range. Crazy heavy.

I'm really confused as to why so many people want this putter so abnormally heavy. D-4 to D-7 has been better players preferred putter SW weight for decades. Stock Scotties come in this range.

Everyone immediately wanting to stick 12 or more gram weights in this thing is bizarre to me. It must feel like swinging a brick. I actually have 12 gram weights on mine but Im playing it at 32.5".

When I first got the putter I took it to the practice green and putted with it so I know how it is stock. Why would someone use a lighter putter for slower greens? That makes no sense at all. My heavier putters get the ball to the hole with a controlled stroke w/o any problems. But the lighter ones come up short.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

When I first got the putter I took it to the practice green and putted with it so I know how it is stock. Why would someone use a lighter putter for slower greens? That makes no sense at all. My heavier putters get the ball to the hole with a controlled stroke w/o any problems. But the lighter ones come up short.

Can make a more aggressive stroke with the lighter putter, tend not to decel, which is a killer on slow greens. There is no right way, but the general rule of thumb for the 30 years I have paid attention is lighter for slower greens.

Finally got one!

0f6c8fca333f9657091034ac4579c044.jpg

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Have we reached a consensus on the open face? From what I saw, it seemed to be more common among the DJ models than the JD. A salesman at a certain big box golf store that they're supposed to sit open due to the toe hang design, but I was skeptical. Why is there an inconsistency between models if that is the case?

Have we reached a consensus on the open face? From what I saw, it seemed to be more common among the DJ models than the JD. A salesman at a certain big box golf store that they're supposed to sit open due to the toe hang design, but I was skeptical. Why is there an inconsistency between models if that is the case?

Total non-issue for me. I am loving my DJ so far. I have a JD as well, and have no open face issue with that either.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Total non-issue for me. I am loving my DJ so far. I have a JD as well, and have no open face issue with that either.

yep

yep

So both of your putters sit square? I swear there was a difference, some sitting open and others square

yep

So both of your putters sit square? I swear there was a difference, some sitting open and others square

I've had two JD's (like an idiot broke a weight in one of them), and they have been identical. If you forward press a lot it can make it look open. I have a slight forward press and have 0 issues with look, direction, feel, etc. Put a few on an eyeline mirror and it will be obvious what change in hand position does to the face.

I finally tried dj's putter today at my local golf shop. They had a few of each. Man DJ's putter is sick. Sunk a bunch, but worried for longer putts on the course without an alignment line. Plus the head is much heavier than I like using. I like my putter as close as possible to 343g.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

I finally tried dj's putter today at my local golf shop. They had a few of each. Man DJ's putter is sick. Sunk a bunch, but worried for longer putts on the course without an alignment line. Plus the head is much heavier than I like using. I like my putter as close as possible to 343g.

See post 665 above to see a simple alignment line solution with 1/8" pinstripe tape (it was like $8 Scotch brand from Amazon). I played my first round with the alignment line this past Sunday, and think I came around on it. I was ready to pull it off after a few holes, as I really did not think I needed it. To be frank, IMO this particular putter does align well without an alignment line. I don't think this putter really "needs" one. That said, by the end of the round, I got used to the alignment line, and I will give it some further testing.

Case in point--18th hole on Sunday, about a 15' putt for par. It was a rare easy read, but I still had to execute. Lined the putt up, aligned the Spider, felt very comfortable, let it rip and it went right in. On the 17th hole, had a similar putt but about 5-10', putt was right on line but was hit a fraction too hard so it went in and out. The black on black alignment is pretty minimalist, but provides just enough to give you that comfort if you are used to a line.

As to the putter weighting, I don't think you should be terribly concerned about 355g vs your preferred 343g. There has been plenty of discussion about weights with this putter, but in my case (and anecdotally, seems to be pretty common), I think it feels "just right" at the stock weight. I've tried heavier weights, and it felt too heavy. I would not really want to go lighter. It is very well balanced at the 355g weight, anywhere up to around 360g I would say. You could in theory remove the two 2-gram weights, and figure out a solution to cover the holes to bring the weight closer to 350g.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

See post 665 above to see a simple alignment line solution with 1/8" pinstripe tape (it was like $8 Scotch brand from Amazon). I played my first round with the alignment line this past Sunday, and think I came around on it. I was ready to pull it off after a few holes, as I really did not think I needed it. To be frank, IMO this particular putter does align well without an alignment line. I don't think this putter really "needs" one. That said, by the end of the round, I got used to the alignment line, and I will give it some further testing.

Case in point--18th hole on Sunday, about a 15' putt for par. It was a rare easy read, but I still had to execute. Lined the putt up, aligned the Spider, felt very comfortable, let it rip and it went right in. On the 17th hole, had a similar putt but about 5-10', putt was right on line but was hit a fraction too hard so it went in and out. The black on black alignment is pretty minimalist, but provides just enough to give you that comfort if you are used to a line.

As to the putter weighting, I don't think you should be terribly concerned about 355g vs your preferred 343g. There has been plenty of discussion about weights with this putter, but in my case (and anecdotally, seems to be pretty common), I think it feels "just right" at the stock weight. I've tried heavier weights, and it felt too heavy. I would not really want to go lighter. It is very well balanced at the 355g weight, anywhere up to around 360g I would say. You could in theory remove the two 2-gram weights, and figure out a solution to cover the holes to bring the weight closer to 350g.

Nice! Yeah all very good points. I slept on it last night. I'm probably going to order one before the day is over.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

Can make a more aggressive stroke with the lighter putter, tend not to decel, which is a killer on slow greens. There is no right way, but the general rule of thumb for the 30 years I have paid attention is lighter for slower greens.

I am happy this method works for you. It's not for me.

As for the Spider, it's not going anywhere. I spent more time at the practice green yesterday. I was practicing with my blade putter and sinking about 50% from where I was. After a long session, I switched to the DJ Spider and sunk three in a row. I can't argue when they go in the hole. It is just a great putter especially for the price. JMHO

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

IMO a sight line totally wrecks this putter. There is so many 'lines' on this putter to pick a line. I think this putter is so popular because of this ( no sight line )

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

Went to get fitted for a putter. I had a few requirements for a putter. No Scotty, Spider or Bettinardi only becasue of the cost. I hit everything. Had my stroke slo-mo filmed got a mini lesson and after an hour or so nothing stuck so I waked around the store. Almost bought some sketcher shoes, but that's another story (they are awesome). I finally walked back. The guy says I know you don't want a Spider, but please hit it. He gave me a 34" model and I calmly holed 6 putts in a row and 9 out of 10. I made 20 footers, 3 footers, 6 footers and everything else was tap in range. Needless to say I walked out of the store with the DJ model and got to play 18 yesterday. I really love the putter but I need to decide if I am going left hand low or sticking with the claw.

Newb to the forum.

Been considering one of these for quite some time, as I've seen their use (and success) on Tour so much lately. I went to my club today, rolled the Jason Day model, and wanted to give some feedback to any who may be confused by this whole thread (I sure was).

The face of the club only sits open if you put absolutely no grip pressure on the putter. There is literally nothing to worry about with the face being "open".

I've used blade putters since I learned to play at seven years old, and the transition to this mallet, I'm assuming because of the toe hang, is super easy. The lack of any alignment aid was no big deal to me; the large portion of the mallet directly behind the ball is so easy to line up, you don't need it.

Lastly, what everyone is saying was 100% true for me. I was drilling 6', 12', and 20' putts in the dead center of the cup over and over again. If you pick a good line, it's almost impossible to miss it with this thing. I bought it and immediately put it in my bag.

Hope this is of help to anyone on the fence!

Newb to the forum.

Been considering one of these for quite some time, as I've seen their use (and success) on Tour so much lately. I went to my club today, rolled the Jason Day model, and wanted to give some feedback to any who may be confused by this whole thread (I sure was).

The face of the club only sits open if you put absolutely no grip pressure on the putter. There is literally nothing to worry about with the face being "open".

I've used blade putters since I learned to play at seven years old, and the transition to this mallet, I'm assuming because of the toe hang, is super easy. The lack of any alignment aid was no big deal to me; the large portion of the mallet directly behind the ball is so easy to line up, you don't need it.

Lastly, what everyone is saying was 100% true for me. I was drilling 6', 12', and 20' putts in the dead center of the cup over and over again. If you pick a good line, it's almost impossible to miss it with this thing. I bought it and immediately put it in my bag.

Hope this is of help to anyone on the fence!

1000 x this.

If you are in the market, pick your putter face and make the purchase.

Love mine.

Won't stop me from buying other putters - but not much will.

Well, here in Chicago the spider putter is impossible to find until I went to the PGA superstore and my buddy who works there had one. I pretty much convinced him to let me use it.

I picked it up this morning and played right afterwards and fired a 79. After 5 holes I had this thing rolling.

It was the black DJ putter, he had the same exact pistol grip and I believe (12 grams) he put more weight in the head.

First off it sits perfectly. Not sure who thinks it sits open but to me it didn't and if it did then my putting was on fire.

I was worried that the face would be too hard after reading the reviews. Let me say I would never want the JD putter because it would be too soft. I thought this face was soft especially with slow greens with the amount of rain we have received in Chicago.

I came from playing the 2006 Scott Cameron Newport for the last 11 years and I found something that was weighted perfectly with forgiveness and toe hang for a mallet.

I met up with my buddy after the round and asked how much for it and purchased it for $300 cash.

Hardest putter to find is in my bag. I'll try to post pictures of it.

My best round of the year and I'm a 8 handicap.

i initially bought the first spider limited (Day) with the white sight line. i loved it... great confidence booster once you get the feel down. months later, i realize the offset is different from the JD Tour model and started second guessing my purchase. sure enough, they release and EVERYONE on tour is gaming this version. i just bough the tour red and love the setup better than the last release. for me, its easier to line up and feel confident with the stroke.

***also, the tour red has a black insert. your sight line marks wont tattoo the face of the putter like it will on the tour black or last model spider limited. sorry, that matters to me also...

Does anyone know where to find a replacement grip for the Tour red? I put a superstroke on it but would like to go back to the original Winn grip that came with the putter. I checked both Taylormade's site and Winn's site but couldn't find it.

Ping G425 LST 9 Ventus Black 7x

Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ventus Black 8x

PXG Gen2 19 Hybrid Hzrdus Black 85 6.5

Titleist T100 4-9 Project X 6.5 Rifle

Vokey SM8 46,50,56,60

Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Does anyone know where to find a replacement grip for the Tour red? I put a superstroke on it but would like to go back to the original Winn grip that came with the putter. I checked both Taylormade's site and Winn's site but couldn't find it.

Also curious on this as I need to cut mine down. Assuming the actual TM Spider version of the Medalist won't be available anywhere to purchase.

The stock grip on the JD model can be ordered from TM thru any authorized account

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black