2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone clarify this for me please? I can see from earlier on this thread that quite a lot of these putters sit open or closed, generally not square. My question is, if I were to order one and it arrives sitting closed or open, could my club pro easily manipulate it to make it square or is it a problem that I would be stuck with?

Thanks.

Unless you put it on a SAM Putt system, it's going to be hard to tell if it's truly closed or open with certainty. My experience was this - my daughter, was lining it up 2.0 to 2.5 degrees closed on average over 5-6 putts - she didn't see the #'s, we were doing a blind test. With her Scotty, she was lining up within the margin of 0.5 - 1.0. The loft on the Scotty is 1.5 - the loft on the Spider is 4.0 (says 3.5 but ours was 4.0). We bent the loft to 1.5 on the spider and immediately started lining up the same as the Scotty, .05-1.0. The loft will play tricks with your eyes.

That's a fair point but apparently a fairly high number of the Spider Tours come sitting quite open at address. Clearly you would have to manipulate them to make it square. An example of what I'm saying can be seen in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCigrkRv6z8

I think there's a big difference between what you were describing and what can be seen in this video. I just have a fear that if I order a Spider Tour, it may sit as open as the one in the video I have posted.

Others have mentioned that they have seen 10 or more Spider Tour putters in a shop and some sit square and some sit very open. It seems to be a quality control issue.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Could someone clarify this for me please? I can see from earlier on this thread that quite a lot of these putters sit open or closed, generally not square. My question is, if I were to order one and it arrives sitting closed or open, could my club pro easily manipulate it to make it square or is it a problem that I would be stuck with?

Thanks.

Unless you put it on a SAM Putt system, it's going to be hard to tell if it's truly closed or open with certainty. My experience was this - my daughter, was lining it up 2.0 to 2.5 degrees closed on average over 5-6 putts - she didn't see the #'s, we were doing a blind test. With her Scotty, she was lining up within the margin of 0.5 - 1.0. The loft on the Scotty is 1.5 - the loft on the Spider is 4.0 (says 3.5 but ours was 4.0). We bent the loft to 1.5 on the spider and immediately started lining up the same as the Scotty, .05-1.0. The loft will play tricks with your eyes.

That's a fair point but apparently a fairly high number of the Spider Tours come sitting quite open at address. Clearly you would have to manipulate them to make it square. An example of what I'm saying can be seen in the video.

I think there's a big difference between what you were describing and what can be seen in this video. I just have a fear that if I order a Spider Tour, it may sit as open as the one in the video I have posted.

Others have mentioned that they have seen 10 or more Spider Tour putters in a shop and some sit square and some sit very open. It seems to be a quality control issue.

You're probably right, just go get on a SAM and test it. Ours was square

It also depends on how you set up and strike the putt. I tend to stroke it with more of an emphasis on the feeling of having the toe down. When I do this it sits square. When I drop my hands lower a tad it tends to sit open. I find it helpful in the fact that it allows me to realize when I am ready to begin my stroke. Almost like the seemore putters do- not exactly but same concept...sort of I guess.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Thanks.

You're probably right, just go get on a SAM and test it. Ours was square

But for example, let's say the SAM testing determines the Spider Tour putter that I purchase sits very open, can my club pro easily fix it to sit square or would the tinkering mess with the balance of the club when taking all the other variables into conservation?

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Thanks.

That video scares me.

I saw it after ordering a club online.

Thanks.

That video scares me.

Thanks.

That video scares me.

Hey that guy stole your shoes! Oh, wait that's you!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That video scares me.

[media=]

[/media]

Super helpful - thanks.

The angle doesn't appear anywhere near as strong in the first video. But it clearly (hopefully) must have been leaned forward similarly.

This video make me believe it may be more about shaft lean . . .

Thanks again.

That video scares me.

[media=]

[/media]

Super helpful - thanks.

The angle doesn't appear anywhere near as strong in the first video. But it clearly (hopefully) must have been leaned forward similarly.

Thanks again.

The opening of the face appears to not be an issue with that particular DJ model in the video. From what I've read on here, some sit square and some sit way open. However, there was little to no shaft lean in the video that I attached of the JD model. That would lead me to believe that the issue of some these models sitting open at address is not because of the shaft lean.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

That video scares me.

[media=]

[/media]

Super helpful - thanks.

Thanks again.

The opening of the face appears to not be an issue with that particular DJ model in the video. From what I've read on here, some sit square and some sit way open. However, there was little to no shaft lean in the video that I attached of the JD model. That would lead me to believe that the issue of some these models sitting open at address is not because of the shaft lean.

Ugh.

Who knows then.

Guess I'll figure out if I've got one that opens once it arrives.

That video scares me.

[media=]

[/media]

Super helpful - thanks.

Thanks again.

Ugh.

Who knows then.

Guess I'll figure out if I've got one that opens once it arrives.

The way I see it is, if I order one, I'm taking a $300 gamble. It's quite upsetting. From rolling my friend's Spider Tour, I really want one. I just feel that if I purchase one, there's a 50/50 chance that it will not sit square. I hope yours will sit square to your eye ??

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

The way I see it is, if I order one, I'm taking a $300 gamble. It's quite upsetting. From rolling my friend's Spider Tour, I really want one. I just feel that if I purchase one, there's a 50/50 chance that it will not sit square. I hope yours will sit square to your eye

I ordered mine from Amazon - so it can go back if I don't want it.

The Itsy Bitsy logo is from the pre release from November I believe. The Tour is from the recent release in March. I dont think there is a difference

The Itsy Bitsy logo is from the pre release from November I believe. The Tour is from the recent release in March. I dont think there is a difference

I have one that is the itsy bitsy bottom and the pure roll ghost tour insert, it is black/white. So what do I have?

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

The way I see it is, if I order one, I'm taking a $300 gamble. It's quite upsetting. From rolling my friend's Spider Tour, I really want one. I just feel that if I purchase one, there's a 50/50 chance that it will not sit square. I hope yours will sit square to your eye

Exactly!

How is it a gamble, when you can return it and get your money back, or call TM customer service and see if they can send you another.

There are multiple options that assure the purchase isn't a "gamble."

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The way I see it is, if I order one, I'm taking a $300 gamble. It's quite upsetting. From rolling my friend's Spider Tour, I really want one. I just feel that if I purchase one, there's a 50/50 chance that it will not sit square. I hope yours will sit square to your eye ����

Exactly!

How is it a gamble, when you can return it and get your money back, or call TM customer service and see if they can send you another.

There are multiple options that assure the purchase isn't a "gamble."

It's a gamble for me because amazon.ie (Irish Amazon) do not have the TM Spider and the 4 main golf shop franchises are sold out of them until June. That leaves ebay as my only option and all those sellers have a no returns policy hence why it would be a gamble for me.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I have the black putter and it sits square grip lines up correctly. I have plenty of time putting at home and one round so far. As of now I am perfectly content, I like the feel and the looks. As far as the putter sitting open, the way the weight is will cause it to move into the open position like that. When you sit the putter sits down it is square, but if I start to move it with an unweighted hand with shaft lean or especially towards the back of the grip it will begin to move into the open position (like the video). It is just the way the weight on the putter sits, once you put it in the air or apply pressure to the back of the grip with no other weight, the putter will move into that open position. Just to test I ran similar tests with my blade and it moved as well just the opposite direction and to a lesser extent. Once you address the ball and apply a grip I have had no issues. There is no alignment here so you have to probably focus even more when setting up the position. The movement while probably a bit more extreme than other putters is not an issue for me. Curious to hear what owners think, but I have had no problems with pushing putts that direction.

I have the black putter and it sits square grip lines up correctly. I have plenty of time putting at home and one round so far. As of now I am perfectly content, I like the feel and the looks. As far as the putter sitting open, the way the weight is will cause it to move into the open position like that. When you sit the putter sits down it is square, but if I start to move it with an unweighted hand with shaft lean or especially towards the back of the grip it will begin to move into the open position (like the video). It is just the way the weight on the putter sits, once you put it in the air or apply pressure to the back of the grip with no other weight, the putter will move into that open position. Just to test I ran similar tests with my blade and it moved as well just the opposite direction and to a lesser extent. Once you address the ball and apply a grip I have had no issues. There is no alignment here so you have to probably focus even more when setting up the position. The movement while probably a bit more extreme than other putters is not an issue for me. Curious to hear what owners think, but I have had no problems with pushing putts that direction.

Thanks - that's comforting.

I need to stop reading this thread until my putter arrives next week.

I won't.

But I need to.

Anyone else seeing build quality or finish issues? It seems the seal around the insert has already started to chip on my JD model and I only have a few rounds with it.

Mine still looks new and I've had mine since February and also played about 10 rounds/hours of practice. Maybe I got lucky or it could just be yours. That being said, there has always been issues with the quality of paint TM has used in the past.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Thanks.

That video scares me.

This video is exactly why I don't have the black DJ model. :(

Heard back from my contact at Taylormade:

The Spider Tour putters are designed to be addressed with a neutral, vertical shaft. When addressed that way they sit square. Anyone with a forward Press will realize an effect of the face opening, because it is slightly. Conversely someone who sets up with the shaft leaning back slightly, the face would appear slightly closed. It's subjective from player to player.

The Spider Tour putters are designed to be addressed with a neutral, vertical shaft. When addressed that way they sit square. Anyone with a forward Press will realize an effect of the face opening, because it is slightly. Conversely someone who sets up with the shaft leaning back slightly, the face would appear slightly closed. It's subjective from player to player.

Interesting

I'm not meaning to contradict what your contact said here but I don't think that's correct.

Many people have said on this thread (I can't speak for myself because I haven't seen many at the one time) that they would set up for a putt and it would sit way open. I'm assuming that a least a few people who have reported this on here have forward presses.

Accordingly, they have reported that out of the 10 or so of the same Spider Tour models they putted with, some sat open and some sat square. Likewise, I'm sure some people on here who reported this also putt with the shaft leaning back slightly and would've set up the same way at address with these putters and out of the 10 or so that they tried, some would sit closed and some would sit square.

That leads me to believe that it is 100% a quality control issue and not how we all address the ball differently. If someone with a forward press could say that every single Spider Tour putter sits open, I would say fair enough and vice versa if someone who putts with the shaft leaning back could say every Spider Tour model sits closed. But this is not the case.

I don't necessarily want to, but I feel obligated to wait until there are multiple models of the JD and DJ models back in stock in a retailer near me for to test out myself.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I'm not meaning to contradict what your contact said here but I don't think that's correct.

Many people have said on this thread (I can't speak for myself because I haven't seen many at the one time) that they would set up for a putt and it would sit way open. I'm assuming that a least a few people who have reported this on here have forward presses.

Accordingly, they have reported that out of the 10 or so of the same Spider Tour models they putted with, some sat open and some sat square. Likewise, I'm sure some people on here who reported this also putt with the shaft leaning back slightly and would've set up the same way at address with these putters and out of the 10 or so that they tried, some would sit closed and some would sit square.

That leads me to believe that it is 100% a quality control issue and not how we all address the ball differently. If someone with a forward press could say that every single Spider Tour putter sits open, I would say fair enough and vice versa if someone who putts with the shaft leaning back could say every Spider Tour model sits closed. But this is not the case.

I don't necessarily want to, but I feel obligated to wait until there are multiple models of the JD and DJ models back in stock in a retailer near me for to test out myself.

I would agree. Not trying to be argumentative by any means, but the DSG i bought mine from had 3 DJ models (only 1 JD but didnt even pick it up) and of the 3, one sat very noticeably open. The other 2 appeared square and putting with all 3 showed different results with the 2 compared to the 3rd that sat differently.

I love my putter - I will be using it a very long time I have a feeling. But I wouldn't buy one online unless its an easy/painless return policy. You need to see them....

Here's what I've noticed - the plate underneath just before the front lip of the face tends to be "tilted" ever so slightly. This little offset is the cause of the open sway - I think. Putters with more noticeable tilt are more open facing. The one putter that seemed to be more aligned sat more square.