2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Said he has a different insert in this one from his previous spider

Actually surprised how many commentators are clueless about the players equipment, never commenting in the first round that he had moved away from the blade putter he'd been using for the past couple of tourneys (TP Juno I believe)...

Watching yesterday, his Spider did not look like it had a different insert, but it did appear the SS grip was different but couldn't make it out...

Funny, the pimped TM Mullen (or Berwick not sure) looked like it had had the Spider shaft and the SS GT grip he was using with his previous Spider - He should just stop fighting it and commit to the Spider and be done with it, obviously works for him as he was putting the LIGHTS OUT yesterday!

What a performance on the greens.

Cheers,

- Ian

You’re right I got a kick out of that where the commentators said DJ picked up this new putter this morning boy he’s brave I’m like dude that’s the putter he won with all last year same with Jason day he’s gone back to what he was using they are clueless LOL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said he has a different insert in this one from his previous spider

Actually surprised how many commentators are clueless about the players equipment, never commenting in the first round that he had moved away from the blade putter he'd been using for the past couple of tourneys (TP Juno I believe)...

Watching yesterday, his Spider did not look like it had a different insert, but it did appear the SS grip was different but couldn't make it out...

Funny, the pimped TM Mullen (or Berwick not sure) looked like it had had the Spider shaft and the SS GT grip he was using with his previous Spider - He should just stop fighting it and commit to the Spider and be done with it, obviously works for him as he was putting the LIGHTS OUT yesterday!

What a performance on the greens.

Cheers,

- Ian

You're right I got a kick out of that where the commentators said DJ picked up this new putter this morning boy he's brave I'm like dude that's the putter he won with all last year same with Jason day he's gone back to what he was using they are clueless LOL

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1557470-djs-new-putter/page__st__30#entry16364658

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I got the blk one today...sat open.

Easy fix... shaft had too much rear lean. Just bend the neck slightly forward until it sits square. Oldest adjustment in the book.... nothing wrong with the putter.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Easy fix... shaft had too much rear lean. Just bend the neck slightly forward until it sits square. Oldest adjustment in the book.... nothing wrong with the putter.

I had to adjust mine when I got it, add some loft and adjust the lie, but I continue to game it. I've never made more putts of any length, short ones to long bombs, and I've also never worked on my putting less... I havn't had a dedicated putting session in awhile, in fact I'm not sure where my chalk line and mirror even are right now.

I have really tried to quantify why I like it so much and why it works for me so well. I have used face balanced mallets before and I always had trouble 5 feet and in with them. Not so with this slant neck. I think the toe hang is a better fit as I like to kind of push stab my short putts and I don't have to manipulate the face as it naturally gates back to square at the ball. On longer putts it's smooth and the rear mass of the head gives a nice consistent feel and roll to the ball. I rarely miss my line or aim point anymore, my missed putts are usually misreads now or edge burners.

I had to adjust mine when I got it, add some loft and adjust the lie, but I continue to game it. I've never made more putts of any length, short ones to long bombs, and I've also never worked on my putting less... I havn't had a dedicated putting session in awhile, in fact I'm not sure where my chalk line and mirror even are right now.

I have really tried to quantify why I like it so much and why it works for me so well. I have used face balanced mallets before and I always had trouble 5 feet and in with them. Not so with this slant neck. I think the toe hang is a better fit as I like to kind of push stab my short putts and I don't have to manipulate the face as it naturally gates back to square at the ball. On longer putts it's smooth and the rear mass of the head gives a nice consistent feel and roll to the ball. I rarely miss my line or aim point anymore, my missed putts are usually misreads now or edge burners.

wow. Now i really want one. But never have played a mallet, im not so sure...

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Quick question...

I picked up a Black Spider Tour on eBay which I believe is the Vault model. The backplate has the web design on it and it says "Itsy Bitsy."

Is this identical to the DJ model other than the backplate design? Is the pure roll insert the same on it?

I won't have it until next week. Looking forward to trying a mallet. I've been a blade guy my whole life.

I believe they are identical with the exception of the sole plate.....I have two with the ITSY sole plate, too. Everything is identical.

People like to think this one was TOUR ISSUE. It's not.....it's just an earlier plate. The Vault models were like this AND the first run of these (limited release around Christmas) were like this.....the full run, a few months later had the different sole plate like the red ones.

Quick question...

I picked up a Black Spider Tour on eBay which I believe is the Vault model. The backplate has the web design on it and it says "Itsy Bitsy."

Is this identical to the DJ model other than the backplate design? Is the pure roll insert the same on it?

I won't have it until next week. Looking forward to trying a mallet. I've been a blade guy my whole life.

can you let me know your thoughts on it after trying it?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Quick question...

can you let me know your thoughts on it after trying it?

For sure! Hoping to have it next week, and winter golf here isn't so bad. Still playing one round a week.

My putting has went south for some reason over the past couple months. I used to be 32-36 putts a round, lately I've been around 40. I'm sure it's in my head but I've been gaming an Odyseey O-Works 1w Tank model and I find myself choking up on it quite a bit to get a comfortable feeling. I don't think this is the right way to play the Tank...

I got my Spider in 33" which should fit me and my 5'6" frame/average arms better.

If anything, hoping it will help with the mental aspect. I have a course near my work and plan on doing a lot of practice putting with the Spider.

Cheers

I believe they are identical with the exception of the sole plate.....I have two with the ITSY sole plate, too. Everything is identical.

People like to think this one was TOUR ISSUE. It's not.....it's just an earlier plate. The Vault models were like this AND the first run of these (limited release around Christmas) were like this.....the full run, a few months later had the different sole plate like the red ones.

Thanks for the reply!

The Spider Itsy Bitsy that was released in the Vault right after Jason Day won the 2015 PGA Championship is ever so slightly different but all other variations are the same except for the sole plate. A friend of mine who I play a lot of golf with has one of the 1/20 releases and his does not have the "click" sound that all the other Spiders have. Much more muted sound/feel. He has also putted with a Spider off the Tour Truck and it has the exact same feel/sound as the ones available at retail as do the second release Spiders from the Vault.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

wow. Now i really want one. But never have played a mallet, im not so sure...

For me it doesn't really handle itself like a mallet... It def. looks like one, it def. has some forgiveness... But I have used heel toe Anser style putters all my life, prior to this I used a Rife Aruba with a lot of success. I had no problem going right to this putter with no real adjustment time necessary. In fact the very first on course putt with it drained a 35 foot birdie.

I knew from the first time I looked at the design it might be really good for me, 1st putts confirmed it, and months of use have me not even considering other putters which is really out of character for me.

Thanks for the reply!

you bet man! I am not an authority on much. But, I own 4 of these and have had nearly every variation of them dating back to 2009! I tried to help as I've often been the guy with very similar questions to yours!

• 3 weeks later...

You are correct about the limited release before Thanksgiving last year with the Itsy Bitsy plate vs the Spider Tour plate, but not totally correct on the vault release as it is not the same thing...there were 3 Itsy Bitsy vault releases - the first was the black J Day, then a black DJ release (there is a thread somewhere on here that goes over the differences between the retail models vs these two), and then a red J Day release with the same insert as the Platinum...

I believe they were all 1/20 but the DJ release could have been 1/15. I have the DJ vault - the slant neck is shorter, and the back plate where it says Taylormade is a solid block of metal versus the retail which are hollow, there are a few other very minor differences as well.

I can't say I can really tell any difference between this insert and the retail model but I do have a friend that's putted with mine who has the retail and he said there is a noticeable difference in sound and feel (there could be a number of things affecting this though).

Recently purchased a DJ spider after my honeymoon with an EVNROLL ER2. Loved the face of the evenroll and the feel was great, however, distance control left alot to be desired for me. The spider has been exactly what I was looking for. I also love the minimalist no sight line setup. I always tend to gravitate toward solid colors. Tried to love the m1/m2 drivers but just couldnt due to the contrasting heads. Time to sell the EVNROLL.

You are correct about the limited release before Thanksgiving last year with the Itsy Bitsy plate vs the Spider Tour plate, but not totally correct on the vault release as it is not the same thing...there were 3 Itsy Bitsy vault releases - the first was the black J Day, then a black DJ release (there is a thread somewhere on here that goes over the differences between the retail models vs these two), and then a red J Day release with the same insert as the Platinum...

I believe they were all 1/20 but the DJ release could have been 1/15. I have the DJ vault - the slant neck is shorter, and the back plate where it says Taylormade is a solid block of metal versus the retail which are hollow, there are a few other very minor differences as well.

I can't say I can really tell any difference between this insert and the retail model but I do have a friend that's putted with mine who has the retail and he said there is a noticeable difference in sound and feel (there could be a number of things affecting this though).

You may be 100 percent correct, here! My bad! I was mostly talking about the limited release vs the general. But, totally believe that the Vault ones were different! Jealous that you have one and you're right, there's a thread that talks about the VERY subtle difference such as the back bumper where it says TAYLORMADE being slightly different, etc. I just didn't realize those were the Vault model. Good looking out!

Happy to take the Vault off you're hands for ya! :)

You may be 100 percent correct, here! My bad! I was mostly talking about the limited release vs the general. But, totally believe that the Vault ones were different! Jealous that you have one and you're right, there's a thread that talks about the VERY subtle difference such as the back bumper where it says TAYLORMADE being slightly different, etc. I just didn't realize those were the Vault model. Good looking out!

Ha, wasn't trying to prove you wrong at all just letting you know what I know! Regardless, they are all good putters and they'll be around for a bit (at least until TM releases the Spider without the wings!)

Ha, wasn't trying to prove you wrong at all just letting you know what I know! Regardless, they are all good putters and they'll be around for a bit (at least until TM releases the Spider without the wings!)

No worries, dude! That's what this site is all about! ACCURATE information. Now I know.... and....no thanks to you.....I want a Vault model. I'm a self-diagnosed tour issue dork..... (and yes I know they aren't necessarily better :))

No worries, dude! That's what this site is all about! ACCURATE information. Now I know.... and....no thanks to you.....I want a Vault model. I'm a self-diagnosed tour issue dork..... (and yes I know they aren't necessarily better :))

Haha, in this case the vault models are actually a little different, so tour issue does matter here!

Haha, in this case the vault models are actually a little different, so tour issue does matter here!

Agree, again, actually, haha! I have tour issue woods, and, for a guy that's shallow and cannot stand a closed face, I believe they make a significant difference! And, I bet those Vault models are no different. I have had a few of my Spiders bent, and, depending on how they came off the assembly line, bending lie and loft can change face angle A LOT. I bet those Vault ones are PERFECT in terms of loft, lie, etc. And that sure does make a difference!

Again, happy to take it off your hands ;)

Is there any love here for the platinum ? Seems to be all about red and black. I was fitted on the Sam system into a platinum. I haven't used it in anger yet but i have been putting the hell out of hotel carpets and practice greens. (I don't play in winter as a rule)

Its face balanced, and in my opinion the best insert - aluminum - though on the reviews its often suggested its surlyn - i can only guess they aren't real reviews. Comes with a Pistol GT 2 grip (with no weight - can you get them separately to experiment with)

Such a stable confidence enhancing club - hope my practice form transfers to the course in the new year.

Nothing wrong with the Platinum. I believe it's essentially a red-colored double bend model that was the first released when these got hot again (before the Spider JD, DJ, etc were released). I think the major dig on the Platinum is the weight PLUGS vs real weights?! I owed the old double bend (red and black), which had weight plugs. This was annoying in terms of swingweighting, feel, etc to be honest. But, if it fits you and feels good, who cares! Billy Hurley uses the red/black double bend one (presumably with weight PLUGS)....and, he notched a win with it! So, pretty sure it works :)

The Platinum is face-balanced, too, which of course, fits a different stroke than the slant neck.

But, again, nothing wrong with that putter!

So I just got one of these 2nd hand and the crown/face are mint. However, the coloring on the sole is severely worn. Anyone else have this happen to theirs?b3240d84b073ec1cf9c49a52120137d8.jpgc1bbc8ff06d8eb4660c8a9a2d0260b78.jpg

I commented a while back that I could see the sole paint wearing over time on the sole. However considering the short time the Spiders have been around that wear is kind of amazing and must be getting ground into sandy greens all day long. After several months the wear on mine is very slight in comparison and hardly noticeable to the eye. Clearly that putter was terribly misfit setup with the wear on the toe like that and I'd be checking the lie angle at the very least to be sure its ok.

I commented a while back that I could see the sole paint wearing over time on the sole. However considering the short time the Spiders have been around that wear is kind of amazing and must be getting ground into sandy greens all day long. After several months the wear on mine is very slight in comparison and hardly noticeable to the eye. Clearly that putter was terribly misfit setup with the wear on the toe like that and I'd be checking the lie angle at the very least to be sure its ok.

I just checked with the previous owner who said the lie angle was never adjusted and it is paint wear from the cover - granted the cover is used and he has a good reputation. I have been rolling it in my office and so far so good...

I just checked with the previous owner who said the lie angle was never adjusted and it is paint wear from the cover - granted the cover is used and he has a good reputation. I have been rolling it in my office and so far so good...

There is no way that wear is from the cover. It also looks like its been worn across the putter not front to back. I'd still be checking the lie. It could be fine and was just a bad fit for the golfer. But that wear doesn't look natural to me and personally that would raise my suspicion. Maybe see if anyone else posts with similar wear but I know of three other spiders with people like me who play 2/3 times and week and they all look pretty close to new after close to a year.

By comparison here is mine. Its 8 months old and not treated with any particular care but there is hardly a mark on it. Our greens were sanded a few weeks back and I can't see any new marks from playing on them.

There is no way that wear is from the cover. It also looks like its been worn across the putter not front to back. I'd still be checking the lie. It could be fine and was just a bad fit for the golfer. But that wear doesn't look natural to me and personally that would raise my suspicion. Maybe see if anyone else posts with similar wear but I know of three other spiders with people like me who play 2/3 times and week and they all look pretty close to new after close to a year.

Ok - will do - I am getting my lies adjusted this off season and will have them check the putter as well...