2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Thanks for the responses to my query, I have another.

Are people still seeing the issues with paint chipping on the face of the red ones? I like the softer feel a bit better but the primary reason I was leaning red is I prefer to have a sight line. Probably going to wait until the new black ones hit the market before pulling the trigger. I tend to keep my clubs a long time so durability is important.

If durability is important, just move on from most any TM putter. By far the worst "paint jobs" I've seen

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my Spider putter has lost the battle for a place in my bag to my new TP Ardmore 2. The Ardmore 2 has a soft yet super responsive feel to it. I far prefer the shape of the Ardmore.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Have had a record, ‘personal best’ season on the greens this season and there in NO question my ‘Black’ has to get a lot of the credit...

Personally, don’t love the look, and have fought gaming it, distracting myself with a myriad of other TaylorMade TP putters over this season; Juno, Mullen, Ardmore and finally the Berwick (the best of the lot) to no avail - Yeah, I’m sick I know it...

I even finally tried the Spider Red, didn’t like it at all (The flaking BS around the insert cited earlier should have TM recalling all them, an embarrassment really) and finally returned to Black...

Actually have 2 of them now, both with SS GT2.0 Pistols but weighted differently, 1 with 2x20g weights for slower greens, the other with 2x10g weights for faster, normal conditions...

No more fighting, embracing the Black Spider forever (Okay, till next time).

Cheers,

- Ian

Well I spent an exciting day with TM CS [or lack there of]. I have the paint coming off the surround on the insert like others. On top of it, the paint on the rearward toe weight barrel on the bottom is down to bear metal. TM's response, if its not play ability then "sorry". $300 but no quality control. Maybe 10 rounds with in on bermuda greens. Even the cover started to flake right after I got it. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything TM again.

On the other side it is a very good putter.

Have had a record, ‘personal best’ season on the greens this season and there in NO question my ‘Black’ has to get a lot of the credit...

Personally, don’t love the look, and have fought gaming it, distracting myself with a myriad of other TaylorMade TP putters over this season; Juno, Mullen, Ardmore and finally the Berwick (the best of the lot) to no avail - Yeah, I’m sick I know it...

I even finally tried the Spider Red, didn’t like it at all (The flaking BS around the insert cited earlier should have TM recalling all them, an embarrassment really) and finally returned to Black...

Actually have 2 of them now, both with SS GT2.0 Pistols but weighted differently, 1 with 2x20g weights for slower greens, the other with 2x10g weights for faster, normal conditions...

Cheers,

- Ian

Well I spent an exciting day with TM CS [or lack there of]. I have the paint coming off the surround on the insert like others. On top of it, the paint on the rearward toe weight barrel on the bottom is down to bear metal. TM's response, if its not play ability then "sorry". $300 but no quality control. Maybe 10 rounds with in on bermuda greens. Even the cover started to flake right after I got it. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything TM again.

Wow. Disheartening to say the least.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Cheers,

- Ian

Black or Red?

Cheers,

- Ian

Black or Red?

To answer both questions. No sight line and its red. They did send me to Golfpaint.com, at my cost naturally. I think besides the attitude, the idea of lost value is pretty depressing.

I compare this to Callaway for replacing 2 Epic drivers immediately or Footjoy taking back, no questions, for new shoes that didn't quite fit right, while covering return shipping.

I can't say enough good things about my Spider and its staying in the bag for quite some time.

It does however seem pretty amazing how quickly so many tour players have moved on though and I'd just love to know what the actual reasoning is for a few of them. Sergio I get but in the case of Day and Johnson and considering that TM esentialy released replica tour putters you would think the would have been paying them to keep them in play and keep the sales strong.

Totally agree with this....cannot get over the fact that DJ got to number 1 only to switch. Sergio WINS MASTERS (the crowning achievement of his career to date) only to switch. And, Day, the guy who made it catch fire on tour....switch.

If any, I get that Day switched as he hasn't had the year he wanted. But, DJ and Sergio?! Crazy stuff....I thought Sergio would take that thing to the grave....

I'm still using mine as I'm a loyalist dating back to the OG Itsy Bitsy. But, I have to say that those who predicted this to be a fad might be right?

Day using the red this week in South Korea

I can't say enough good things about my Spider and its staying in the bag for quite some time.

It does however seem pretty amazing how quickly so many tour players have moved on though and I'd just love to know what the actual reasoning is for a few of them. Sergio I get but in the case of Day and Johnson and considering that TM esentialy released replica tour putters you would think the would have been paying them to keep them in play and keep the sales strong.

Totally agree with this....cannot get over the fact that DJ got to number 1 only to switch. Sergio WINS MASTERS (the crowning achievement of his career to date) only to switch. And, Day, the guy who made it catch fire on tour....switch.

If any, I get that Day switched as he hasn't had the year he wanted. But, DJ and Sergio?! Crazy stuff....I thought Sergio would take that thing to the grave....

I'm still using mine as I'm a loyalist dating back to the OG Itsy Bitsy. But, I have to say that those who predicted this to be a fad might be right?

Noticed this as well. Stroke look much better than in the past several weeks, too. When he's on with that, he's scary (yes this comment can be applied to a done of guys, Rory, etc.).

I was glad to see it back in his bag.

Noticed this as well. Stroke look much better than in the past several weeks, too. When he's on with that, he's scary (yes this comment can be applied to a done of guys, Rory, etc.).

I was glad to see it back in his bag.

May be a fad and I keep looking to unseat my Tour Black. In searching for ANY improvement Tour players are no different than we are. I have bought and sold six putters trying to unseat ...may try a Scotty 5.5 or go Ardmore or heaven forbid, not buy another putter <rrrrrrrrright...>

I don't feel like sifting through 42 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed...but last night I cut my Red putter down an inch. The little weights in the back looked identical to the weights in my R7 driver. But I realized my Taylormade tool that I use on all the drivers, doesn't fit inside the weights of the Red Spider.

Is there a specific tool they make just for the putters? Will the weights from my R7 fit into the Spider?

I don't feel like sifting through 42 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed...but last night I cut my Red putter down an inch. The little weights in the back looked identical to the weights in my R7 driver. But I realized my Taylormade tool that I use on all the drivers, doesn't fit inside the weights of the Red Spider.

Is there a specific tool they make just for the putters? Will the weights from my R7 fit into the Spider?

I use the driver tool all the time; no issues.

The driver tool doesn't fit. The star pattern is much much smaller. Are you doing it with the 2017 Red Tour putter? Because I've read/seen photos that the Black version isn't the same. It's specific to the red putter.

The driver tool doesn't fit. The star pattern is much much smaller. Are you doing it with the 2017 Red Tour putter? Because I've read/seen photos that the Black version isn't the same. It's specific to the red putter.

hmm.....definitely not trying to give you inccorect info, bud. I guarantee you I've used the TM driver tool on both the Spider Red and Black. I own two of each and have added weights to ALL 4. And yes, it the 2017 Red Tour.

One point of note, the FIRST "Day inspired" putter has weight PLUGS not real weights.....any chance your putter is that model?

Feel free to DM and I can send you a pic with the weight tool I use....

hmm.....definitely not trying to give you inccorect info, bud. I guarantee you I've used the TM driver tool on both the Spider Red and Black. I own two of each and have added weights to ALL 4. And yes, it the 2017 Red Tour.

One point of note, the FIRST "Day inspired" putter has weight PLUGS not real weights.....any chance your putter is that model?

Feel free to DM and I can send you a pic with the weight tool I use....

perhaps the R7 weights are different? Older tool?

Been through this with my red. The weights that come stock are different in at least the red's. The driver tool works with the replacement weights only. I used a torx screw driver and got it to work on the stock weights.

RETURN OF THE SPIDER...

A few seem to be prematurely predicting the end of the reign of the TM Tour Spider putter phenomenon, citing Jason, Dustin and Sergio abandoning the stick after early success this year and before...

Well low and behold 2 of the 3 have returned to it this week in Shanghai...

After some experimentation with other TM putters Jason and DJ have begun gaming the Spider sticks again.

Funny enough I get it, no question the ‘Black’ has improved my stats this year, but frankly I find it ugly and also experimented with a few other sticks before going back to continued success on the greens this year with it...

The damn thing just works!!!

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

DJ today

DNJYyTLVQAAmSWu.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

DJ today

DNJYyTLVQAAmSWu.jpg

Taylormade should run a competition where you can caption this photo and the winner will get a Spider Tour.

Loving the black on black sight line... sincerely hope that makes it to production.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

DJ today

DNJYyTLVQAAmSWu.jpg

Taylormade should run a competition where you can caption this photo and the winner will get a Spider Tour.

Loving the black on black sight line... sincerely hope that makes it to production.

Me too but from what I heard its going to be a white sight line like the recent red releases.

EwqxoMl.jpg

I have 2 'blacks', one purchased in the spring and the other about a month ago - The first models produced earlier this year had the 'stock' weight that were compatible with the normal TM driver tool, the model just purchased has the stock weights as appears in the photo that are too small for the TM tool (Why they did this no idea)...

No biggie, just used a screwdriver with a 'torx' type head and it came out easy, replaced with the 'R7' type weights with the TM driver tool, easy peasy bacon and cheesy.

Cheers,

- Ian

Visibly different sizes between my M1 head (and all other TM removable parts) versus my Red Spider putter. Hence the TM driver tool not working.

I'm afraid I'm stumped man....sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

Said he has a different insert in this one from his previous spider

Actually surprised how many commentators are clueless about the players equipment, never commenting in the first round that he had moved away from the blade putter he'd been using for the past couple of tourneys (TP Juno I believe)...

Watching yesterday, his Spider did not look like it had a different insert, but it did appear the SS grip was different but couldn't make it out...

Funny, the pimped TM Mullen (or Berwick not sure) looked like it had had the Spider shaft and the SS GT grip he was using with his previous Spider - He should just stop fighting it and commit to the Spider and be done with it, obviously works for him as he was putting the LIGHTS OUT yesterday!

What a performance on the greens.

Cheers,

- Ian