Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM will take back because of the paint or adhesive in between the face. I have had to send two back and my pro says the rep and TM is aware of this issue. They sent me new ones everytime

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

The paint doesn't peel or chip like this on their TP Collection line. Just saying.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Do you guys forward press with these putters?

I'm so used to doing so with a blade and I am inclined to do so with the spider tour but the mallet plays with my mind. I also tend to miss left a lot if I forward press with this.

I forward press a bit, less with this putter, but I still had the putter bent for more loft to accommodate. The putter was good out of the box, but once I adjusted the loft and lie, and tweaked the face angle it's been perfect. I pretty much hit every putt on my line and misses have been misreads and they have been very small. Truthfully I haven't put in as much time with this putter as my other one which I have used for a few years (Rife Aruba), but I feel like when I do those slight misses will start going in more often.

It's a great putter, but I think guys like me who have been more heel toe or blade will like it better, it does not really play like a traditional mallet.

This putter likes fast greens, I like teh way the ball comes off the face. On slower greens I could see speed control being more of a challenge

Do you guys forward press with these putters?

I'm so used to doing so with a blade and I am inclined to do so with the spider tour but the mallet plays with my mind. I also tend to miss left a lot if I forward press with this.

I forward press a bit, less with this putter, but I still had the putter bent for more loft to accommodate. The putter was good out of the box, but once I adjusted the loft and lie, and tweaked the face angle it's been perfect. I pretty much hit every putt on my line and misses have been misreads and they have been very small. Truthfully I haven't put in as much time with this putter as my other one which I have used for a few years (Rife Aruba), but I feel like when I do those slight misses will start going in more often.

It's a great putter, but I think guys like me who have been more heel toe or blade will like it better, it does not really play like a traditional mallet.

This putter likes fast greens, I like teh way the ball comes off the face. On slower greens I could see speed control being more of a challenge

Thanks for that. I have not found a fitter in my area that I trust enough to get a putter fitting aside from club champion and I fear they will just try and sell me new equipment. So for now, I'm playing it as standard loft and lie at 35"

My club has extremely fast greens and I hit everything short. Then I try and give it a little more and end up flying it past the hole. My distance control has been horrific.

This hasn't been my experience for the entirety of ownership. I actually had a wonderful experience at the beginning. Lagged everything close and was scoring some of my best rounds. Something changed and I lost my confidence with it.

I have a favour to ask please guys, would anyone be able to measure the size/dimensions of the tour putter or headcover for me please?

I use a ghost spider s and want a new cover for it and like the look of the tour cover but not sure if the tour is much smaller or not and therefore won't fit my putter.

Many thanks

Dave

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Hey guys,

I've had the Tour Blackfor a while now and just got the red today. Does anyone noticed a bit of a weird or clicky/poping sound with the red compared to the black? The black doesn't really make a noise, but the red has this pretty odd popping noise. Let me know if you guys experience this. Don't really want to send it in for a replacement, but I will if I need to.

[color=#0000cd][size=5] ---WITB---[/size][/color]

Driver: M2 2017 8* w/Project X PXv 39
3 Wood: XR16 14.5* w/Project X LZ 60 Handcrafted
Driving iron: Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 17* w/KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85
Irons: Apex Pro 5-PW w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Wedges: Milled Grind Antique Bronze 50, 55, 60 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Custom
Ball: TP5X

I am on my 3rd Tour red. I played a couple of rounds with the first 2 and never noticed the clicking noise however I played my first round with the latest one on Sunday and I did notice it, not all the time, maybe 4-5 putts.

This is my latest putter after 1 round. White showing around the insert again. I love the putter and have putted great with it, but there does seem to be some quality control problems with the red version.

Hey guys,

I've had the Tour Blackfor a while now and just got the red today. Does anyone noticed a bit of a weird or clicky/poping sound with the red compared to the black? The black doesn't really make a noise, but the red has this pretty odd popping noise. Let me know if you guys experience this. Don't really want to send it in for a replacement, but I will if I need to.

The I hear what I believe to be a hollow sound that I feel is what your experiencing. I like the soft feel of the putter but not the audible feedback I got. There were times where I must have rolled it extra pure and I didn't notice any sound but more often than not I hear the hollow feedback

I am on my 3rd Tour red. I played a couple of rounds with the first 2 and never noticed the clicking noise however I played my first round with the latest one on Sunday and I did notice it, not all the time, maybe 4-5 putts.

This is my latest putter after 1 round. White showing around the insert again. I love the putter and have putted great with it, but there does seem to be some quality control problems with the red version.

I'm in the same boat. They have sent me 3 red and a black. All of the reds are peeling around the insert. I didn't like the black as much but it also is showing white around the insert now.

I have a favour to ask please guys, would anyone be able to measure the size/dimensions of the tour putter or headcover for me please?

I use a ghost spider s and want a new cover for it and like the look of the tour cover but not sure if the tour is much smaller or not and therefore won't fit my putter.

Many thanks

Dave

Both covers are very close in size. In fact if you saw Jason Day playing briefly with a white version of the Tour Spider, he was using a Ghost Spider S cover,

The Tour Spider covers are softer than the fairly rigid Ghost Spider S cover, so they are more conforming to different shapes and slightly different dimensions.

You should have no problem using a Tour Spider cover on your Ghost Spider S.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

The white around the insert is voids in the paint that have chipped away from impact.

Not sure if the problem is quality control or inherent to the design.

Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Hey guys,

The I hear what I believe to be a hollow sound that I feel is what your experiencing. I like the soft feel of the putter but not the audible feedback I got. There were times where I must have rolled it extra pure and I didn't notice any sound but more often than not I hear the hollow feedback

Try holding the putter head in one hand and a ball in the other, and then tap the face insert from one edge to the other. If the sound becomes hollow in spots, there is most likely an air bubble or other issue preventing the 3M double stick tape from adhering properly within the face insert cavity. Warranty issue.

• 2 weeks later...

So is everyone still enjoying their Spiders? Thinking very hard about making a change. Know this line was red hot, just curious if people still like them or if the magic has worn off..

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

So is everyone still enjoying their Spiders? Thinking very hard about making a change. Know this line was red hot, just curious if people still like them or if the magic has worn off..

Still enjoying mine with a Flat Cat grip. The combination of the two have made for a really solid combo.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Switched. "It's not you it's me" as I lowered the Spider Tour Red onto the rack of Misfit Putters. My eyes are better set on a light blade style putter.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

I dropped mine. My wife loves it but I went with the Toulon Indianapolis. I like the feel of a milled face plus the added sight line.

I still ultimately prefer the blade style but tend to putt better with a mallet

Love mine, I have hit my lines more consistently with this putter than with any other putter. If you are a face balanced fan this is not really for you, if you dislike the look of mallets, not really for you.. but if you're a heel toe guy who likes the boxy lines it's deadly. I don't find the lack of a sight line negative in anyway, I aim the whole putter head.

Have had a record, ‘personal best’ season on the greens this season and there in NO question my ‘Black’ has to get a lot of the credit...

Personally, don’t love the look, and have fought gaming it, distracting myself with a myriad of other TaylorMade TP putters over this season; Juno, Mullen, Ardmore and finally the Berwick (the best of the lot) to no avail - Yeah, I’m sick I know it...

I even finally tried the Spider Red, didn’t like it at all (The flaking BS around the insert cited earlier should have TM recalling all them, an embarrassment really) and finally returned to Black...

Actually have 2 of them now, both with SS GT2.0 Pistols but weighted differently, 1 with 2x20g weights for slower greens, the other with 2x10g weights for faster, normal conditions...

No more fighting, embracing the Black Spider forever (Okay, till next time).

Cheers,

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

I can't say enough good things about my Spider and its staying in the bag for quite some time.

It does however seem pretty amazing how quickly so many tour players have moved on though and I'd just love to know what the actual reasoning is for a few of them. Sergio I get but in the case of Day and Johnson and considering that TM esentialy released replica tour putters you would think the would have been paying them to keep them in play and keep the sales strong.

Does anyone know if TM plans to put a sightline on the black version in 2018 similar to how they just came out with the sightline on the red version?

From what I heard yes there will be a white sight line on the black Spider putters as well.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

I can't say enough good things about my Spider and its staying in the bag for quite some time.

It does however seem pretty amazing how quickly so many tour players have moved on though and I'd just love to know what the actual reasoning is for a few of them. Sergio I get but in the case of Day and Johnson and considering that TM esentialy released replica tour putters you would think the would have been paying them to keep them in play and keep the sales strong.

Totally agree with this....cannot get over the fact that DJ got to number 1 only to switch. Sergio WINS MASTERS (the crowning achievement of his career to date) only to switch. And, Day, the guy who made it catch fire on tour....switch.

If any, I get that Day switched as he hasn't had the year he wanted. But, DJ and Sergio?! Crazy stuff....I thought Sergio would take that thing to the grave....

I'm still using mine as I'm a loyalist dating back to the OG Itsy Bitsy. But, I have to say that those who predicted this to be a fad might be right?

Totally agree with this....cannot get over the fact that DJ got to number 1 only to switch. Sergio WINS MASTERS (the crowning achievement of his career to date) only to switch. And, Day, the guy who made it catch fire on tour....switch.

If any, I get that Day switched as he hasn't had the year he wanted. But, DJ and Sergio?! Crazy stuff....I thought Sergio would take that thing to the grave....

I'm still using mine as I'm a loyalist dating back to the OG Itsy Bitsy. But, I have to say that those who predicted this to be a fad might be right?

Every new putter style is a "fad"... literally... every single one.

Bullseye, Anser, 2 Ball, #7, Spider (plus a whole lot more in between those), etc...

When a new concept is introduced, people want to try it. When it's all over the TV, because some of those people who want to try it happen to be tour pros, even more people want to try it. When lots of people try it, a bunch of players have the same putter in the bag, at the same time.

For some, it works better than what they had before and it stays in the bag.

For others, it doesn't work as well something else (what they were using, something else they found, etc...) and it comes out of the bag.

Then... some time later... another new design/idea is introduced... and people want to try that one... and so on... and so on...

Does this make the Spider a "fad"?

I don't think so. I just think it's something different, that a bunch of people wanted to try. It works great (and continues to do so) for some, and didn't work as well for others... just like every golf club ever released.

Now... is the Spider a "classic"?

Who knows. We'll have to wait 5-10 years to see if it's still on the market, going strong... and if there's an Odyssey and/or Cameron version of it. ;)

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I know for me personally it changed my putting game for the better. I had struggled for years finding a putter that I felt comfortable with and would usually go though a few a season trying to find something that I liked. After switching to the Black Spider halfway thought the year I never thought about switching it out to something else. And my putting stats improved as I have been tracking those numbers for a couple years. It's been kind of fun to end the season this year and know I'm not putter shopping again in the off season. LOL

Every new putter style is a "fad"... literally... every single one.

Bullseye, Anser, 2 Ball, #7, Spider (plus a whole lot more in between those), etc...

When a new concept is introduced, people want to try it. When it's all over the TV, because some of those people who want to try it happen to be tour pros, even more people want to try it. When lots of people try it, a bunch of players have the same putter in the bag, at the same time.

For some, it works better than what they had before and it stays in the bag.

For others, it doesn't work as well something else (what they were using, something else they found, etc...) and it comes out of the bag.

Then... some time later... another new design/idea is introduced... and people want to try that one... and so on... and so on...

Does this make the Spider a "fad"?

I don't think so. I just think it's something different, that a bunch of people wanted to try. It works great (and continues to do so) for some, and didn't work as well for others... just like every golf club ever released.

Now... is the Spider a "classic"?

Who knows. We'll have to wait 5-10 years to see if it's still on the market, going strong... and if there's an Odyssey and/or Cameron version of it. ;)

Awesome points here, man! Great stuff! I agree that all putters are a fad....I think you nailed it...what I meant more was "will the Spider become a classic." If it IS a fad, I'll keep rocking the fad long after its runs it course. 10 years from now, I'll still be rocking my spider and a fanny pack (maybe) :)

Got my spider black back from a buddy after trading back the Toulon i traded for.

Spider black with the claw grip. Works great

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Thanks for the responses to my query, I have another.

Are people still seeing the issues with paint chipping on the face of the red ones? I like the softer feel a bit better but the primary reason I was leaning red is I prefer to have a sight line. Probably going to wait until the new black ones hit the market before pulling the trigger. I tend to keep my clubs a long time so durability is important.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0