2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I recently bought the spider tour red and...wow. Previously had the Odyssey white hot with 3.0 super stroke grip but really struggled with consistent distance control. Been using the spider and my putting has improved massively. I'm not sure if it's the thinner grip allowing more feel, the lack of alignment line not distracting me from pace or the slightly less toe hang, but whatever the reason I'm really loving it!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are going to start differentiating whether you are talking about the Red J-Day model or the white J-Day model pretty soon :taunt:

sYvyrMF.png

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Traded my DJ back in yesterday.... I liked the way it set up but it was tough to be consistent on the longer putts for some reason. I liked it from 8' and in, but in reality I wasn't doing anything better with it than I do with any other putter I have. Also, I paid $250 for it about a month ago and watching the classifieds, they seem to already be going for considerably less so it was time to get it back while I could. Nice putter, feels good, a little cheap, but nothing game changing about it. I see JD using it in white now??? Looks better than red but hope it holds up better than their old white finishes!

I had a very similar experience to you with these putters. I found the JD red model to have a better roll. I was dynamite with this putter from 10 feet in but from 20+ feet, it was a very different story. I couldn't get any sort of consistency going with it and I felt that I had to whack the ball from 30+ feet. Consequently, when I had to consciously hit the ball much harder, this affected my feel and alignment and accordingly, the overall stroke.

I ended up going straight back to my Odyssey Works 2-Ball which I have for over 2 years now. The JD red slightly out-performed my 2-Ball from inside 10 feet but from 10+ feet plus, the Odyssey works better for me hands down.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

What is it with the smoked shaft that causes wear? Does it peel? Never owned a putter with a dark shaft before.

I have a friend with an older Daddy Long Legs Spider and the black shaft seems to be a coating that flaked off at the bag wear point. I'm assuming mine will do the same over time as it looks like the same shaft although I suspect I might care for my Spider a little more. About two inches of silver shaft show through where the coating has stripped off.

Does anyone know how much the grip on a tour red weighs? Thinking of switching to a Golfpride SNSR regular or mid size. One is 90g, one is 104g. Just wondering how much weight need to add to the head to match up SW.

Thanks.

As far as I am aware, the stock grip on the tour red is a Winn Excel Medallist standard pistol with a spider and Taylormade logo on the grip. They weigh 59g. The link below is the standard Winn Pistol. I'm 99% sure it's the same grip that's on the tour red just with different graphics.

http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/winn-excel-medallist-pistol-putter-grip-dark-grey-red/

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

For those of you that added heavier TM weights in the rear, how did it change the acoustics and overall sound?

I'm guessing since someone pointed out removing the weights completely made it feel more solid, adding heavier weights would make it more hollow. Want to find out before investing in some TM weights.

For anyone with the DJ model, how's the durability of the black holding up?

No issues so far. I do use a headcover whenever the putter is in the bag. But the newer finish is nothing like that white finish Taylormade had years ago. I have a couple ghost putters that looked like crap in the past. But so far the new Black Spyder shows none of those same issues. I did figure if this one got bad I would just sent it off to Labworx and have them coat it for me. But after a little over a month and maybe 12 rounds it still looks new.

I will say after about 12 rounds now I have never putted as well in my life. Whether is 4' knee knockers or 50' lag putts I have never had this much confidence with a putter in the 25 years I have been playing. I used to worry about 3 putts the moment I was a long way from the hole. Not any more!!

But I will also say this is a love it or hate it putter. I have yet to have one person just say "its OK" when they look at it. Either they instantly love it or they hate it the moment it's in their hand. So anyone that is thinking about getting one should really get a chance to hit one first.

I cannot decide if I want a red or black Tour Spider. Completely torn.

"How about a little of both, K-Dog?" - G. Focker

I think it comes down to the feel of the insert. I kept the DJ, sold off the JD because I found that insert to be a little on the soft side for my taste.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I cannot decide if I want a red or black Tour Spider. Completely torn.

"How about a little of both, K-Dog?" - G. Focker

I think it comes down to the feel of the insert. I kept the DJ, sold off the JD because I found that insert to be a little on the soft side for my taste.

I did the exact opposite, these really are about personal preference!

So sold my Spider Tour Red then within a couple days bought another one. Threw a FlatCat standard grip on it with a 50g tungsten weight in the butt and may be in love. As confident as I've felt with a putter in a long time.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

For anyone with the DJ model, how's the durability of the black holding up?

Coming from years of unpainted stainless putters the first thing I have noticed it the paint on the bottom showing wear after the first few rounds. Our greens have also been sanded and I'm getting sand stuck in the groove and the face is getting some wear which I don't see on stainless putters. Overall I don't think it will be a problem but its certainly going to show wear on the sole more than any unpainted/coated putter. I also carry my bag and more concerning is the rubbing marks on the shaft and I can't see the black holding up at the point where it rubs in the bag.

I have the black Spider and our groundskeeper is a big fan or sanding the greens regularly. They are in perfect shape and take rain very well, so I can't fault him for it, but sometimes there is some residual sand... especially on the practice green. More than once I've caught a grain on either the face or the ball and it has left a very small dent in the insert. So far, I can't say its affected performance, but its made me hyper-sensitive to wiping the face as part of the pre-shot routine (probably not a bad idea anyway). What's more annoying is cleaning the golf ball after every putt of a practice session!

That said, the performance of the putter warrants it to this point. I agree the long putts take some getting used to, but if you read putts correctly, this putter gets more started online than anything I've used. I just doesn't twist going back or through. You can certainly still pull or push, but it doesn't twist! Going from a SC Monterey 1.5 to this took some getting used to visually, but the consistency is legit!

I don't know what it is, but I have been coming up short on putts using the tour red. I have played a handful of rounds and practiced with it and the insert just seems like it is mush. Anyone else have this problem when they first started playing with it?

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I don't know what it is, but I have been coming up short on putts using the tour red. I have played a handful of rounds and practiced with it and the insert just seems like it is mush. Anyone else have this problem when they first started playing with it?

For me, there was a feeling out period with distance but it improved over time. My distance control was better with a blade putter so I ended up switching back but the spider is great putter. I had the red and black versions at different points. I found the red to be a bit softer and came up shorter more often than the black spider but I think that varies from person to person.

Apologies for the question if it is very obvious as I am not super well-versed in technical aspects of putters. I know that the red + black are not face balanced like the platinum tour or the itsy limited in red + red/black but my question is this...Is it the shaft and how that fits into the clubhead that makes something have a toe hang vs face balanced or something about the face? I know that the platinum has a double bend shaft so I am assuming that this is what makes it face balanced compared to the Day/DJ versions. Just curious because I putted way better with the face balanced spiders vs DJ/Day versions. Thanks for any info!

For me, there was a feeling out period with distance but it improved over time. My distance control was better with a blade putter so I ended up switching back but the spider is great putter. I had the red and black versions at different points. I found the red to be a bit softer and came up shorter more often than the black spider but I think that varies from person to person.

Anyone want to trade a red for a black?

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Apologies for the question if it is very obvious as I am not super well-versed in technical aspects of putters. I know that the red + black are not face balanced like the platinum tour or the itsy limited in red + red/black but my question is this...Is it the shaft and how that fits into the clubhead that makes something have a toe hang vs face balanced or something about the face? I know that the platinum has a double bend shaft so I am assuming that this is what makes it face balanced compared to the Day/DJ versions. Just curious because I putted way better with the face balanced spiders vs DJ/Day versions. Thanks for any info!

Yes, how the shaft is shaped and mounted. If you can draw an imaginary line through the shaft where it intersects the face, it should be near the center on a face balanced putter. So the Day and DJ's with their slant necks don't translate through the face. Where as the double bend shafts will.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Anyone know the design history and details that went in to making these? I have heard that these putters have a lot of science and engineering behind them but am interested in those details and who specifically is to credit.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Anyone know the design history and details that went in to making these? I have heard that these putters have a lot of science and engineering behind them but am interested in those details and who specifically is to credit.

It was a quiet night in 1853, Sir Taylor Made was sitting in his outhouse enjoying his nightly poop until he saw a large spider. He gasped, "I know! I'll model a putter after this spider!" And that's how it all started.

I rolled these bad boys a ton in Golf Galaxy and I know that most people say the red feels softer... however, I swore the black one felt a touch softer and I preferred the feel of that one.

Therefore, DJ Spider is headed to Richmond!

Same. just love the feel of the black compared to the red. Its a pure crisp sensation that I think gives better feedback than my Newport and DH89 give. My experience has been that the distance control is fantastic. I can't fault it.

Gotta show this one off:

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie