2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm done with the Spider Black experiment. I played four times this past week on four different courses and the results were the same. 34,36,34 and 32 putts. I just can't get the ball to the hole with a normal stroke and when I try to hit it a little harder it goes bye the hole about 3-5 feet.

I usually use a Claw grip and I can't get a feel for short putts. I missed a ton of putts from 6 feet and in. The other day I hit 13 greens and had 36 putts.

Feel like I've had terrible speed control from a solar distance. Long putts it's awesome. Inside 6 ft. I hit it 12. Just need to out in some time and practice. Only used it 2 rounds. Overall it's a nice putter. Not sure if it's gonna replace the piretti.

I’d say work with it and it may surprise you. Making Bombs are frequent ... Took me while to make shorter putts and after a bit of practice and patience (hate that word) its $

Everyone still loving theirs? How is the smoke shaft holding up?

Have had mine since early March. Head and shaft still look new. Face has some nicks but not overly noticeable.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Still loving mine. The more I play it the more I like it. The longer putts 25'+ took a bit to get used to speed on but those feel better every day. I replaced the stock grip with a Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 from the start and it's a perfect feel for me. I hated the stock grip.

I have had no finish issues on the shaft or the head. With 20 rounds on it now it still looks perfect but I do use a bag with 14 full length dividers.

My only complaint.......And this is the very "first world problems". I play most weekends first off in the morning dew right after they have mowed the greens and the amount of grass clippings that sticks in all the nooks on this putter drives me crazy trying to keep it all cleaned. I play an average of 4 times a week and nearly every week I have taken the air compressor to the head to clean it out. But for the way I putt with it I'll deal with that "issue". LOL

Was going to trade putter to member on here and was taking the 8 grams weights out that I swapped in. Putting the stock weights back in on the last one I snapped the weight off right at the threads. Was using a taylormade wrench.

Anyone have any suggestions? I bought off of eBay so I am hesitant to call taylormade. It was used from pro clubs. It is the limited itsy bitsy version.

Still loving mine. The more I play it the more I like it. The longer putts 25'+ took a bit to get used to speed on but those feel better every day. I replaced the stock grip with a Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 from the start and it's a perfect feel for me. I hated the stock grip.

I have had no finish issues on the shaft or the head. With 20 rounds on it now it still looks perfect but I do use a bag with 14 full length dividers.

My only complaint.......And this is the very "first world problems". I play most weekends first off in the morning dew right after they have mowed the greens and the amount of grass clippings that sticks in all the nooks on this putter drives me crazy trying to keep it all cleaned. I play an average of 4 times a week and nearly every week I have taken the air compressor to the head to clean it out. But for the way I putt with it I'll deal with that "issue". LOL

I played a while back where the greens were sandy and holy hell was that a headache. The sand that got caught between the grooves were insane and very irritating. I understand exactly what you are saying

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

The black paint on the face of my JD version is starting to come off mostly around the bottom. Has anyone had success in swapping theirs at a store for this reason?

Mine as well, I just got it and it's been in play for 2 rounds and a chalk line session and I'm already seeing white on the bottom edges below the grooves. Haven't thought about a swap yet as I haven't even got the loft and lie adjusted yet but if it continues to get worse and gets to the point of being distracting I might make a phone call.

Was going to trade putter to member on here and was taking the 8 grams weights out that I swapped in. Putting the stock weights back in on the last one I snapped the weight off right at the threads. Was using a taylormade wrench.

Anyone have any suggestions? I bought off of eBay so I am hesitant to call taylormade. It was used from pro clubs. It is the limited itsy bitsy version.

Don't hesitate. Call them. I'd be surprised if they didn't help you out.

After experimenting with 6g and 18g weights I'm going back the the OG ones.

Dunno what it is but (for me) the putter rolled best with the original weights.

Yeah me too. Tried the 8 but the stock 2 felt the best for me too

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

This putter has given me confidence on putts inside 12 feet. I am still working on the lag putting with this putter which i find difficult but worth my practice as inside 12 feet this putter is money.

At first I thought of putting a sight dot on the head but after using it for a while I do find the lack of sight aid helps me focus on speed not the line. The head lines up pretty good on its own without the sight aid and I can use the line on the ball as needed. If my speed is good my line should be good.

More time needs to be spent on the putting green for me versus constantly seeking out a new flatstick. Hopefully in a week, month and a year I am still putting with this putter.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

This putter has given me confidence on putts inside 12 feet. I am still working on the lag putting with this putter which i find difficult but worth my practice as inside 12 feet this putter is money.

At first I thought of putting a sight dot on the head but after using it for a while I do find the lack of sight aid helps me focus on speed not the line. The head lines up pretty good on its own without the sight aid and I can use the line on the ball as needed. If my speed is good my line should be good.

More time needs to be spent on the putting green for me versus constantly seeking out a new flatstick. Hopefully in a week, month and a year I am still putting with this putter.

Agreed. Totally digging no sight line. I think people I've played with have bought a few too after watching me sink putt after putt hahaha.

The black paint on the face of my JD version is starting to come off mostly around the bottom. Has anyone had success in swapping theirs at a store for this reason?

Mine as well, I just got it and it's been in play for 2 rounds and a chalk line session and I'm already seeing white on the bottom edges below the grooves. Haven't thought about a swap yet as I haven't even got the loft and lie adjusted yet but if it continues to get worse and gets to the point of being distracting I might make a phone call.

How and where would you get the loft and lie adjusted

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

The guy that works on all my stuff was a tour van guy and does custom fitting and full service club building and repair.. In short, he has a tool for that. He keeps all my specs in a book and doesn't even need me there at this point to duplicate or replicate a club I need. I'll have the spider bent to similar specs as my Aruba altering them slightly to account for the difference of the 1/2 offset of the slant neck. And he'll do it by putting it in a loft/lie machine then manually bend it till it's right. Once it's right the specs will be recorded then checked every so often to make sure it hasn't moved any.

The guy that works on all my stuff was a tour van guy and does custom fitting and full service club building and repair.. In short, he has a tool for that. He keeps all my specs in a book and doesn't even need me there at this point to duplicate or replicate a club I need. I'll have the spider bent to similar specs as my Aruba altering them slightly to account for the difference of the 1/2 offset of the slant neck. And he'll do it by putting it in a loft/lie machine then manually bend it till it's right. Once it's right the specs will be recorded then checked every so often to make sure it hasn't moved any.

No I understand what the process is I wasn't aware of too many machines that could actually hold that putter head.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

No I understand what the process is I wasn't aware of too many machines that could actually hold that putter head.

well, we shall see if it poses a problem when I take it to him, I have yet to bring him a task he hasn't been able to accomplish. I'll let you know how he did it when he does it.

I know enough to do minor adjustments on my own on the fly, but for the most part I just drive the car. A turn here, a wedge there... He does all the heavy lifting, he even hates it when I put my own lead tape on cause he says it looks like sh** when I do it...

Still haven't adjusted the putter yet, it could use more loft, a lie adjustment, and the face is closed a bit to the angles of the new grip I put on... But gamed it today and made a lot of putts, and the ones I missed were mostly early before I adjusted my grip to compensate for the ill fitting specs...

I can't remember ever putting a putter into play that was that good that fast, and this is without the needed adjustments to fit me.

I saw some comments from guys talking about not changing their stroke to fit the putter... But sometimes you're stroke sucks... And different types of putters, weight, hosel types, etc. force you to improve by making you have to adjust... I mean afterall that's pretty much what any training aid is, something that's forcing you to do something uncomfortable in an effort to strengthen a new motion that will make you better.

I can putt with any type of putter. I can also change my stroke to use various types of putters as to not fight it's natural tendencies. I do have styles I prefer, and I have styles that seem to help me when my technique gets out of sorts (center shafted for one). But the idea that someone has a natural stroke that limits you're equipment choices seems like a silly one to me.

Sometimes you come across a piece of equipment that isn't better right now, and perhaps doesn't fit you're swing or stroke at the moment.. but it will, and it will be better and make you better if you stick with it...

At any rate I love this red spider, people can claim hype, but I haven't seen this type of buy in from players local to tour pro since the odyssey 2 ball came out...

Another guy asked this question as well and was never answered. Just curious if anyone knows.

Are all headweights the same regardless of length or does it change like the Cameron's?

Not sure if this has been answered yet but, according to TM's site, they list it at 355g whether it's 34 or 35 inches long (but both have two 2g weights installed). Hmmm, that's suspicious. Anyhow, I just caved and picked up a Tour Red. After going through about 10 or more to I found the one that felt and set up the best for me.....and that I made the most putts with indoors. I like about 1.5* to 2* loft and a 70* or less lie angle. I also wanted it sitting slightly open at address. FWIW....the knucklehead at Galaxy argued with me and said they were all the same.....I just shook my head. What a tool. Anyhow, mine is 34" and looks great to my eye. I did remove both the 2g stock weights (very cheaply made and one stripped) and they required a smaller driver to remove vs. the normal TM weights from the r7 days (which I have many of, leftover). Nonetheless, I got them out and replaced them with two 5g weights and it feels awesome. Like many others, I've added a temp sightline....just to see if I'd prefer that better. If I do go with it, it will be white, black or silver. I can use 1/8" stripping (with a clear overcoat to make it permanent) or just use a silver Sharpie, if I decide to go silver. I'll also say that it does appear to be easier to align that I thought it would be without the sightline......so, the jury is still out on that. However, the bottom line is, after using an Anser style putter since the beginning of time (Anser Milled 0 and 2001 3X Chocolate Tour Newport Beach) this bad boy will stay in the bag for the balance of this season.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Well here goes nothing. Newport 2 out of my bag, Spider put in my bag.

I have had my Spider for a few weeks now and didnt feel "ready" for it yet. I finally got fed up with the twisting of my Scotty so I made the switch. I tried everything with my Scotty; 50g counter weight, 20g weights in the head, Pistol Super Stroke grip and nothing has really helped.

For some reason, I keep twisting the toe of my putter on takeaway. I dont seem to have that issue with the Spider so I made the switch.

Im playing tonight so hopefully I made the right decision.

For the couple of times mentioned about the sight line not being legal with pin striping, the current rule states it can be "semi permanent". Obviously if it falls off during a round it cannot be replaced.

Correct me if I'm mistaken

Why not ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Just a theory but I'm thinking the toe down nature of the Black and Red may contribute to problems with distance control (as well as starting it on line ?).

I think with the Spiders the mass of the head, especially on a longer stroke, may causes issues with the club head wanting to open and close (to get to square at impact). This may cause problems with the stroke overall and distance in particular.

Most mallet type putters are face balanced and the preferred stroke would be straight back straight through. On a blade type putter (usually slightly to moderately toe down) the head is easier to square up (or keep square as the case may be with SBST).

The Platinum probably wouldn't have this issue as it is face balanced.

Like I said, just a theory.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow