Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I have been a Spider guy since the beginning, always had a sight line, and was worried about not having one on this model. I will say I really liked NOT having one like others have said. I believe it made me concentrate more by having to look at the face angle and really concentrate lining it up.

The guys I was playing with kept commenting on my putting and the difficult putts I was making. Love this Spider.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep me too. I was almost certain i was going to add a line but I like it with out for the reasons you stated above. I focus more on making a good stroke and speed, and as a result my putting has improved a lot. And for those asking... red > black model

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Any pics of the red painted black yet? Wanna see the black with black face

Check out NorCal Putter's instagram....he did mine, which is a red painted black (with purple bumpers). There's another one that is black and really dark navy....was a red.

I prefer the feel of the Red but greatly dislike the color. I don't like the sound the black makes but love the performance.

The black and navy one on Instagram is mine can't wait to get it back.

NICE! It turned out GREAT. 100% agree. Prefer feel of red. Hate the color.

Got the Red Tour out for the first time today!! All I can say is WOW! This thing actually works. I made 3 putts between 20-35ft. Prior I would have made 1 of those every 2 rounds, but to do that in a single round with zero three putts has made me a believer. I was between the red and black for quite a while and ulitimately choose the red and am happy with it. I felt the face was a little to hot for me on the black and the ball kinda took off on me, plus I didn't care too much for the clicky sound at impact. I still need to have the lie bent flat but definitely trending the right direction. I too, was nervous about no sight line, but I have to agree with what's been said above.

Played in a tourney this weekend where the greens are always mint and speedy. Hit the ball terrible but scrambled and putted lights out!

Put s 2.0 gtr grip on and had it bent 1* flat. Made tons of putts to post some good scores.

Finished 8th out of 32 guys.

Love this putter

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I think I'm with everyone that I prefer the sound/feel of the Red over the Black, not that the Black is bad, but to me it's slightly higher pitched sounding compared to the Red. Think I'm gonna put the Black on the BST sometime this week and just stick it out with the Red

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

I've spent the last 5 days in GG putting for about an hour with the Black and Red. I'm the minority of this thread and preferred the firmer feel of the black and actually have one on order. The red was a little too soft for my liking and had a hollow metallic sound at times. The main reason is most likely from the golf balls on the putting green.

The Odyssey O Works #7 was what I was going to get before I messed with the Spyder Tours. Funny thing is that when the Spyder Tours came out I didn't care for them at all. I tried the O Works again before making my decision and there was no comparison in feel to the Spyder Tours.

Why do people say they have so much trouble with this putter on slow greens? From my experience I judged speed better with high MOI mallets on slower greens.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Mine is a 34" red, right off the rack, with a SS Flatso 1.0. It took a few rounds to get used to it, but that was mostly for feel and distance control. No, it does not feel like a carbon steel Cameron, but that's to be expected with any insert putter. No problems with mine sitting open or having no sight lines, something I was a little concerned about.

All I can say is after 5 rounds, my putting has been better, which is all you can ask for. I've changed my putting stroke slightly as this putter wants to go slightly inside, maybe 1/2 inch to an inch, and then down the line. Now I just make the stroke and let it do what it wants to do with no manipulation. It is especially good from 10 feet and in, and it lags the long ones really close.

It's been as good or better than I expected and a lot of people ask me about it, especially when they see the ball going in the cup.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

After two rounds with the Spider black, it was just a tad too firm for me so I returned to the store to exchange it for the red. They also had a restock of the platinums which was the one that really sold me on the Spider putters in the first place. I spent about 30 minutes switching between each one and ultimately went with the platinum. I like the deeper face and it had the same feel as the red. The sightline helps as well. I didn't putt badly with the black, but I just had a hard time of getting a feel of it when the ball comes off the face. I've always been a good putter, so I didn't want have to adjust my whole putting technique to fit a putter.

Josh the prices on eBay still show a ton of interest in these. Dufner just won with another mallet this weekend (yes a Scotty but it was a mallet). This seems to be a new golden age of mallets and the Spider is a huge part of it. I'd like to try the original limited one that has more of a tri-sole than the production tour model from what I have heard. The prices on the limited from last year though have been a lot more than the newer production one. I think the fact that you are seeing more for sale is evidence of the mallet boom. Just did a quick count and out of the 22 PGA events held in 2017 15 of the winners used a mallet style putter. That's more than double the amount of blades used in wins this year.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

So have used this putter now for 2 rounds and getting mixed results. Feel is awesome, and long putts have gotten much better, however short putts have gotten much worse. This is exactly opposite from my last putter, where I couldn't lag for anything, but most putts within 4-5' were generally auto. Now with the Tour I get a little worried unless I'm longer than 10' or closer than 3.

Anybody else experience this?

Well no putter is "magic" per se, but overall my putts per round haven't gone down. Granted, it's been two rounds, but just the general theme so far is that my lags, especially the long ones have gotten a lot better ( I think due to a higher MOI and increased feel) but short putts have gotten worse, I think mainly due to lack of alignment.

For whatever reason speed on long putts seems to be easier to gauge, but much harder on short stuff. Could be because I haven't used an insert in a long time, so I'm leaving many short putts short and low.

Are these putters turning out to not be the "Holy Grail" once thought as I notice a ton of them going up for sale recently?

That will always be the case with the latest and greatest clubs, especially here on WRX. People here like trying things out, even if just for fun. Also, bottom line, these are not magic wands. Many of us are still weekend golfers with jobs and families, and miss putts. And then sometimes, people decide that the putter gotta go...

Last weekend, I was playing in a Memorial Day tournament at my club. One particular hole, I was on the green in 2. So I had like a 10' birdie putt that would have really helped my foursome. A par would have been ok as well. I did not want to leave the birdie putt short, so I really hit it. Ball goes about 3' past the hole. I'd probably make the return putt 9/10 times, but wouldn't you know it, I choked on the par putt. So I went from a makeable birdie putt to tapping in for bogey. Was it the Spider's fault--of course not. If I was reactionary, I'd bench the Spider. But I've missed some of these makeable putts many times over the years, with many different putters.

For many of us here, the Spider Tour will end up being not much better, and not much worse, than our other putters. But the Spider Tours do have some nice attributes that make them very compelling. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Two rounds in with the Red. First round was 29 putts and second

Round was 25 putts. Yep, 25 putts ....Yes missed a bunch greens and chipped well, but... She is staying in the bag...

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Maybe a bit of a newbie question here, but I need some help so I don't screw this thing up. Made some huge alignment/posture changes and need to cut my 35" to ~33.5". I have been choking down on the putter and am comfortable with the weight when doing so. However, am I going to need to adjust swing weight anyway once I cut it down, or will it feel similar to choking down?

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Maybe a bit of a newbie question here, but I need some help so I don't screw this thing up. Made some huge alignment/posture changes and need to cut my 35" to ~33.5". I have been choking down on the putter and am comfortable with the weight when doing so. However, am I going to need to adjust swing weight anyway once I cut it down, or will it feel similar to choking down?

It will feel pretty close to choking down although you will lose a couple of grams of weight from the 1.5" of the shaft you cut down, so total weight will be changed. Honestly, just do it and see how it feels, don't overthink it!!

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Are you putting well choking down? If so, why change? After cutting off an inch and a half, the putter is going to feel lighter in your hands, and the grip is going to feel different because you'll be holding it in a different spot. So it will take some getting used to.

The flip side to the coin is that it's relatively easy to go back if you don't like it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Are you putting well choking down? If so, why change? After cutting off an inch and a half, the putter is going to feel lighter in your hands, and the grip is going to feel different because you'll be holding it in a different spot. So it will take some getting used to.

The flip side to the coin is that it's relatively easy to go back if you don't like it.

Have a Superstroke grip, so the grip change shouldn't matter much. Was a little more concerned with swing weight than total weight, but I guess that is an issue to consider.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Anyone have issues with the ball starting to bounce with this putter? Had a round where it seemed I had a TON of bouncing putts that would then come up way short. Totally in my head now and of course its probably my setup or stroke. But I have never had that happen before.

I've had some putts bounce and think it is partially due to the 3.5* of loft. I just focus on keeping a little bit of forward lean to help with it

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Well no putter is "magic" per se, but overall my putts per round haven't gone down. Granted, it's been two rounds, but just the general theme so far is that my lags, especially the long ones have gotten a lot better ( I think due to a higher MOI and increased feel) but short putts have gotten worse, I think mainly due to lack of alignment.

For whatever reason speed on long putts seems to be easier to gauge, but much harder on short stuff. Could be because I haven't used an insert in a long time, so I'm leaving many short putts short and low.

FYI - i have the Tour Black and was struggling with distance control for several rounds when i first got it. Thank goodness I had scheduled a full bag fitting with Club Champion; which was perfect because they identified that this putter loft was 1* (it is suppose to be 3.5*) and with my forward press i was putting negative loft on this putter. That was my problem with contol issues and inconsistencies. If it was not for this putter fitting - i would have probably sold this putter. They adjusted this putter to fit my stroke and now it is A LOT better. Anyone struggling with distance control might want to find somewhere to validate the loft of their putter along with their stroke.

I am now putting a great stroke on the ball each and everytime with very good distance control.

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

Seems to be an awful lot going for sale on the BST as of late.

I think most could've predicted that the honeymoon phase with this putter for most people would've been very short lived.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star