2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Any of you TM aficionados think that a center Shaft version of any of the tour offerings will be released ever? Even JDM?

This is what I'm hoping for. I am a center shaft guy for sure. I'm a lefty also, so I'm not holding my breath.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Black and it was decent the first two rounds, but I leave everything short. My last three rounds have been terrible with 33, 34 and 36 putts. I hit 12 greens this morning and had 36 putts.

I've missed a bunch of putts from 6 feet and in. I'm thinking about trying the Red, but I might move to another putter.

First few rounds was a honeymoon period. Then distance control become a problem... I start changing the weight.. made it heavier with 10g and 12g... After a while.. it has become too heavy and create back spin in every shot.

Decided to switch back to 2 g weight. Adjusted the lie to 71 degree.

Move back to NP... Switch back and forth a few times...

After two months, now the spider black works like magic. The ball roll so well...

Distance control is great..

Even my bad stroke was a good putt

I have nothing to complain now...

The putter head line up so easy... I see it as a big square shape that help line up.

I hope those who has one, stick with it long enough to learn the putter..

Sorry for my bad Engrish :)

Deal of the day yesterday. Went to the Minnesota PGA Superstore to get some other items and they had a used black Spider putter for $200 that was in perfect shape. Only way you could tell it was used by the goofy grip on it. So $235 later I have a pretty much new black spider (with the factory head cover even!) and new Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0 grip. Yesterday I hit the practice green and spent a couple hours just dialing in my putting. This morning I went for 21 putts with one chip in for a 78, my low round of the year. I have never felt this comfortable with a putter in my hands. Looking forward to see how this plays out the rest of the year.

I have been using mine for about 2 months now and I am still putting great with it. By far the best putter I have ever owned. I'm averaging about 3 less putts per round than I did before I owned it.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

Congrats on the great rounds fellas. I have also shaved a few strokes off my scores lately due to this putter. Honeymoon is going great!

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have 2 putters now... including this one. It feels so freaking good, but I putt better with my #1. Afraid to sell it in case I want to go back to a mallet...Thinking about putting on a temp. alignment aid to see if anything improves, although I was fit by SAM lab for the one I game. I don't want to turn into Rory now...

I came on here a few weeks back and gave the JD and DJ Spider Tours a bit of a bashing. They felt nothing special to me, very clunky and I thought that people gave them way too much time to hopefully adjust to them. I didn't like them either due to the toe hang as I have a straight back straight through stroke so naturally, they wouldn't have suited me.

I rolled the Spider Tour Platinum last week. I have seen many Tour Red and Tour Black around but this was the first time that I came across a Tour Platinum. It's also face-balanced so theoretically it should suit my stroke. I have to say, I think that it's the most stable putter I've ever used. After I had the grip, loft and lie angle adjusted, I planned on taking 45 minutes to put the Tour Platinum head to head against my Odyssey Works 2 Ball. The head to head lasted less than 10 minutes. I love my 2 Ball but this was a no-contest. The Spider Tour Platinum was so much more stable and the roll off it is amazing. The ball comes off the face less hot and my consistency seems to have improved at least in the short term on short, medium and lag putts.

I also love the firmer insert that is in the Tour Platinum compared to the Tour Red and Black inserts. I have a slower than average impact tempo so the firmer inserts suit me. I'm hoping that my Spider Tour Platinum stays in the bag for longer than the short term future :)

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I think I'm done with the Spider Black experiment. I played four times this past week on four different courses and the results were the same. 34,36,34 and 32 putts. I just can't get the ball to the hole with a normal stroke and when I try to hit it a little harder it goes bye the hole about 3-5 feet.

I usually use a Claw grip and I can't get a feel for short putts. I missed a ton of putts from 6 feet and in. The other day I hit 13 greens and had 36 putts.

I came on here a few weeks back and gave the JD and DJ Spider Tours a bit of a bashing. They felt nothing special to me, very clunky and I thought that people gave them way too much time to hopefully adjust to them. I didn't like them either due to the toe hang as I have a straight back straight through stroke so naturally, they wouldn't have suited me.

I rolled the Spider Tour Platinum last week. I have seen many Tour Red and Tour Black around but this was the first time that I came across a Tour Platinum. It's also face-balanced so theoretically it should suit my stroke. I have to say, I think that it's the most stable putter I've ever used. After I had the grip, loft and lie angle adjusted, I planned on taking 45 minutes to put the Tour Platinum head to head against my Odyssey Works 2 Ball. The head to head lasted less than 10 minutes. I love my 2 Ball but this was a no-contest. The Spider Tour Platinum was so much more stable and the roll off it is amazing. The ball comes off the face less hot and my consistency seems to have improved at least in the short term on short, medium and lag putts.

I also love the firmer insert that is in the Tour Platinum compared to the Tour Red and Black inserts. I have a slower than average impact tempo so the firmer inserts suit me. I'm hoping that my Spider Tour Platinum stays in the bag for longer than the short term future :)

The Spider Tour Platinum is a very solid putter.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I think I'm done with the Spider Black experiment. I played four times this past week on four different courses and the results were the same. 34,36,34 and 32 putts. I just can't get the ball to the hole with a normal stroke and when I try to hit it a little harder it goes bye the hole about 3-5 feet.

I usually use a Claw grip and I can't get a feel for short putts. I missed a ton of putts from 6 feet and in. The other day I hit 13 greens and had 36 putts.

Feel like I've had terrible speed control from a solar distance. Long putts it's awesome. Inside 6 ft. I hit it 12. Just need to out in some time and practice. Only used it 2 rounds. Overall it's a nice putter. Not sure if it's gonna replace the piretti.

Deal of the day yesterday. Went to the Minnesota PGA Superstore to get some other items and they had a used black Spider putter for $200 that was in perfect shape. Only way you could tell it was used by the goofy grip on it. So $235 later I have a pretty much new black spider (with the factory head cover even!) and new Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0 grip. Yesterday I hit the practice green and spent a couple hours just dialing in my putting. This morning I went for 21 putts with one chip in for a 78, my low round of the year. I have never felt this comfortable with a putter in my hands. Looking forward to see how this plays out the rest of the year.

78 with 21 putts?!?

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I mentioned on here a few days ago that I was blown away by how good I was putting with the Spider Tour Platinum and that it was out performing my Odyssey Works 2 Ball with ease. I've played a lot over the last few days and I just can't seem to lag putt anymore with this thing. It could be due to the putter head bring 10 grand heavier than what I'm used to. I initially was decent at lag putts on the putting green but the honeymoon period was quickly over.

A second head to head has resulted in the Spider Tour being marginally better on short putts but my 2 Ball was noticeably better on medium and lag putts.

I think instead of getting a new flat stick, I just needed a refreshment to prevent my 2 Ball from feeling stale.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

78 with 21 putts?!?

Kind of easy to tell where the problem "was not" that day. LOL I think I only had 2 GIR :shok: with 10 fairways hit.

Since then I have 4 rounds with it and I have been in the 25-28 for putts in all of them and had back to back 76's. I have not in years felt as comfortable on the greens as I do now. Now just to spend some time on my iron play. LOL

The red putter has a black "surlyn" (spelling?) insert, while the black has a silver "80/20" insert.

The black putter definitely has a firmer feel than the red. Those who are chasing the "super soft feel" in a putter will usually like the red version better. Personally, I like putters that have a firm feel with plenty of feedback (big fan of sound slots for that reason). The black version does a much better job of that than most mallets I've tried. The black kind of feels like the metal x milled #7 did... not firm but not soft, but not dead either. All in all, the sound/feel is good... not great... but better than almost any other mallet I've tried. The red feels more like the white hot rx insert... maybe not quite that soft, but pretty close. Nice putter, but farther away from my preferences, so I liked the black one better.

Please keep in mind that feel is completely subjective, so take all of this with a grain of salt. These are the opinions of a person whose gamer for the last year and a half has been a Stainless Steel Byron Morgan DH89, with very fine face milling and a sound slot (basically the opposite of what these putters represent).

I did buy the black, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for a couple rounds... but I don't know what I'm going to do with a putter that doesn't have a flange that I can scoop up the ball with!

I thought this was an interesting find. Although, the off-the-rack JD Red Model features the Surlyn insert, and the DJ Black features the 80/20, JD is using the 80/20, while DJ is using the Surlyn:

“Rahm's putter is 37.25 inches, whereas Jason's is 35 inches. Jason has the 80/20 insert; Rahm has the Surlyn insert, which has even softer feel. He has the same hosel and shaft as Jason, but he prefers the Super Stroke grip over Jason's Winn grip. Jason's swing weight is E1; Rahm's is G0—and that's just all personal preference and feel. The heads work exactly the same way. All the technology is in the head; it just comes down to what you like to see and feel in terms of grip, sightline, and weighting.”

http://newsroom.tayl...e-new-1-on-tour

"We originally designed the Pure Roll insert with an aluminum base material. To explore variations in feel, we also designed different Pure Roll inserts, like Dustin Johnson’s putter with a Surlyn material, which has a quieter sound and a softer feel.

It's nice that now we're offering that same putter in both options; Jason Day likes the aluminum blend, and Dustin Johnson prefers the Surlyn version. It's something we've offered to Tour players for a very long time, so it's nice to now have the same product line in these different options and offer it to the public."

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/The-Science-of-a-Pure-Roll/ba-p/639

Heres my pinstripe. Still going strong after almost 3 months. I probably could have done it a hair straighter but it serves its purpose.

Nice!! I'm going to try auto pin stripe strip, 1/8'', white. Going to go with just one right in the center.

The dual lines have always suited my eye for some reason. I used to have a spider si that had the 2 small dual lines and I always liked that too. Also have felt comfortable with 2ball alignment in the past also. The single line doesn't stick out enough for me. I do think the single line makes for a much cleaner look and wish it worked for me.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

For the couple of times mentioned about the sight line not being legal with pin striping, the current rule states it can be "semi permanent". Obviously if it falls off during a round it cannot be replaced.

Correct me if I'm mistaken

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Sorry if I have missed this but what are the stock weights in these putters? I just picked up a DJ Tour Black and I am wondering if it was cut down closer to 34" as it has a Ping chorded grip and 12g weights. I love the feel of it, just wondering how much tinkering may have been done with my new toy.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Sorry if I have missed this but what are the stock weights in these putters? I just picked up a DJ Tour Black and I am wondering if it was cut down closer to 34" as it has a Ping chorded grip and 12g weights. I love the feel of it, just wondering how much tinkering may have been done with my new toy.

Stock weights are 2g

For the couple of times mentioned about the sight line not being legal with pin striping, the current rule states it can be "semi permanent". Obviously if it falls off during a round it cannot be replaced.

Correct me if I'm mistaken

You are correct

Permanent or semi-permanent lines or other markings which have been painted, inscribed or otherwise incorporated (see Design of Clubs, Section 1a) for alignment purposes are permitted.

Took my 12g weights out and putted around with it without any and it's a totally different putter, in a good way. Can't believe how much difference more or less weight can make sometimes. This is probably the most stable putter I have tried yet.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"