2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I don't know what it is, but I have been coming up short on putts using the tour red. I have played a handful of rounds and practiced with it and the insert just seems like it is mush. Anyone else have this problem when they first started playing with it?

Yup! I'm having the SAME issue with the red.

I've used both extensively.....I was sure I'd prefer the red, initially because I like a very muted impact. But, I've played at two courses, recently, that run their greens between 10-12....I find that I didn't have any "better" ability to hit putts softy with the red. In fact, I feet like the red can come off toosoft if you are very delicate with it....I was having a lot left when I I had to be gentle with it. After thinking the red was going to be "it" I find myself back to the black one.

Side note, I find it FASCINATING that Sergio, after winning the Masters with the red, changed to the black. You'd think he'd never touch ANYTHING in bag again after that.....let alone the putter

Also, something to think about, if the black is soft enough for the greens that the guys see on tour, I'm sure it's soft enough for us!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question if anyone can answer even tho I'm sure it's in here somewhere, do they do different weighted heads for different lengths? Or are they all just a standard 355?

This is correct. All come with 2gs. I have 8gs in one of mine, 6 in another. 8 feels best to me, but, it's all preference, of course.

Gotta show this one off:

Is that a black red? Very nice!

It's a JD Red insert but the body is navy blue with a red sole plate. USA!

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

For the couple of times mentioned about the sight line not being legal with pin striping, the current rule states it can be "semi permanent". Obviously if it falls off during a round it cannot be replaced.

Correct me if I'm mistaken

Why not ?

I guess the same reason a shaft can't be glued back in if the head comes loose during a round. You can replace the club if you didn't loosen it through abuse, but you can't repair it. Or, you can't tighten an adjustable hosel driver during a round.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

For the couple of times mentioned about the sight line not being legal with pin striping, the current rule states it can be "semi permanent". Obviously if it falls off during a round it cannot be replaced.

Correct me if I'm mistaken

Why not ?

I guess the same reason a shaft can't be glued back in if the head comes loose during a round. You can replace the club if you didn't loosen it through abuse, but you can't repair it. Or, you can't tighten an adjustable hosel driver during a round.

I thought a club could be repaired during a round so long as it does not unduly delay play. Or am I mistaken ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Just for reference, if any of you ever play in a big tournament an auto stripe used as an alignment aid is illegal. You would need to paint it on. At least I'm pretty sure this is still correct unless a rule changed.

Please report back when you verify this rule

Hes correct. Just a taped line is not allowed. If it had a sealant over it, no issue at all

Yeah it is still a rule. Basically it has to be fixed, whereas you can't simply pull it off. If it was sealed over that is fine, just as easy to do paint or nail polish and achieve the same result and also very easy to take back original.

Could either of you guys point to the Rule/Decision that prohibits the tape stripe only being able to be pulled off being illegal ? Or maybe this is a question for the "Rules Guys" ?

TIA

edited to add - never mind, I found it. Decision 4-1/5 -

A.An adhesive bandage or tape added to the clubhead is considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming (see Appendix II, Rule 1a but see also Decision 4-1/4). However, material attached to the clubhead that does not affect the performance of the club and is semi-permanent, durable, not easily removable and conforms to the shape of the clubhead may be permitted by exception, but an adhesive bandage or tape does not fall under that exception because such items are temporary in nature and easily removable. See "A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls," Section 1a, for detailed criteria regarding permissible external attachments, such as alignment markings, protective coverings or decorative decals.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I don't know what it is, but I have been coming up short on putts using the tour red. I have played a handful of rounds and practiced with it and the insert just seems like it is mush. Anyone else have this problem when they first started playing with it?

Yup! I'm having the SAME issue with the red.

I've used both extensively.....I was sure I'd prefer the red, initially because I like a very muted impact. But, I've played at two courses, recently, that run their greens between 10-12....I find that I didn't have any "better" ability to hit putts softy with the red. In fact, I feet like the red can come off toosoft if you are very delicate with it....I was having a lot left when I I had to be gentle with it. After thinking the red was going to be "it" I find myself back to the black one.

Side note, I find it FASCINATING that Sergio, after winning the Masters with the red, changed to the black. You'd think he'd never touch ANYTHING in bag again after that.....let alone the putter

Also, something to think about, if the black is soft enough for the greens that the guys see on tour, I'm sure it's soft enough for us!

I played with the red and the black in the store many times and I loved the feel of the red, but you really don't know until you get it outside on real greens and playing situations. Look like I am going to try and swap a red for the black.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

An update.

First the great news.....I won our League Championship this past weekend and I truly believe my improvement in putting made all the difference. Over the two day event I played with 5 people I had never played with and most of them commented on how I was able to 2 putt from any place on the greens and if I was inside 10 feet it was going in. I played 36 holes without any 3 putts. :smilie_tm:

I now have a chip in the paint on the putter shaft like others had mentioned. It's about 4 inches from the head on the back side of the shaft. No idea how it happened, but noticed it after we got done yesterday. After the season I will send the putter into Lapworx to get the shaft coated along with a custom coloring done on the head.

I played this past weekend with a guy who had the platinum version with the alignment line on the top of his Spider. I will add that this winter when I have the finishing work done. I liked how it set-up.

My comment on the red vs black to those asking. You really need to hit both. I usually like the softer inserts and expected to like the Red version better but after hitting both the black felt much better to me.

An update.

First the great news.....I won our League Championship this past weekend and I truly believe my improvement in putting made all the difference. Over the two day event I played with 5 people I had never played with and most of them commented on how I was able to 2 putt from any place on the greens and if I was inside 10 feet it was going in. I played 36 holes without any 3 putts. :smilie_tm:

I now have a chip in the paint on the putter shaft like others had mentioned. It's about 4 inches from the head on the back side of the shaft. No idea how it happened, but noticed it after we got done yesterday. After the season I will send the putter into Lapworx to get the shaft coated along with a custom coloring done on the head.

I played this past weekend with a guy who had the platinum version with the alignment line on the top of his Spider. I will add that this winter when I have the finishing work done. I liked how it set-up.

My comment on the red vs black to those asking. You really need to hit both. I usually like the softer inserts and expected to like the Red version better but after hitting both the black felt much better to me.

Congrats on the Championship!

The chip in the paint on the back of the shaft is probably due to it rubbing in that spot where is touches the inside of your golf bag.

- Josh

I own both. Played the black for 2 months and have been playing the red for 3 weeks. Putted decent with th black a lot of lip outs but usually sniffing the hole. Been lights out with red. Most 5-10 footers either go in or burn the edge. I prefer the softer feel of the red and for me it's a truer roll. Like the look of the black better Though.

An update.

Congrats on the Championship!

The chip in the paint on the back of the shaft is probably due to it rubbing in that spot where is touches the inside of your golf bag.

- Josh

Thank you.

I thought about that but it's too far down the putter shaft. I have a bag with individual club slots and the paint chip is 3-4 inches below where the putter rests on the bag. When in the bag the putter pretty much sits all the way down on the head cover. I'm sure I must have banged the putter on something to cause the chip but I sure don't remember it.

Oh well, the putter needed some color "tweaking" anyway. LOL

Sold my red one and picked up a black one this week. Just a heads up the $60 off $300 coupon works on the spider tour putter at Golf Galaxy. You will have to add something else to your cart, but I got my black tour putter and some tees for $250.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

So I bent my black to 72 and know it sits open? What did I do? I also checked for new ones at the club and NOT one of them had a 70 or 71 lie? Three at 69 and two at 68?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

What is the best way to identify the vault release spider? not the itsy bitsy limited release but the vault release that was $750. Any help is appreciated.

The back of a Vault Spider looks like this... (look at the block TM is stamped on)

WZ794_zoom_D.jpg

The limited edition that came out and the retail looks like this....

TM_Spider_Tour_Putter_Dustin-3.jpg

What is the best way to identify the vault release spider? not the itsy bitsy limited release but the vault release that was $750. Any help is appreciated.

The back of a Vault Spider looks like this... (look at the block TM is stamped on)

WZ794_zoom_D.jpg

Interesting to see the 4g weights in the tour.

Out of curiosity, what are the main differences between the recent spiders (lumping in the DJ/Day/Platinum as well as the Itsy Limited versions) compared to previous years? For example, with the "ghost" spiders of several years ago, from what I can tell, the shape of the putter head looks very similar, if not identical. Has the weighting changed? I know there is the toe hang of the Day/DJ version but is there anything different with the structure of the head itself?

Out of curiosity, what are the main differences between the recent spiders (lumping in the DJ/Day/Platinum as well as the Itsy Limited versions) compared to previous years? For example, with the "ghost" spiders of several years ago, from what I can tell, the shape of the putter head looks very similar, if not identical. Has the weighting changed? I know there is the toe hang of the Day/DJ version but is there anything different with the structure of the head itself?

The new tour spiders have a flow neck that gives you more toe flow. Allows the putter to swing more in an arch than straight back straight through

WZ794_zoom_D.jpg

Interesting to see the 4g weights in the tour.

The vault model will have "Ghost" on the sole plate, no serial number, a tad shorter hosel, different colored paint (more of a dark matte charcoal vs a jet black).

The new tour spiders have a flow neck that gives you more toe flow. Allows the putter to swing more in an arch than straight back straight through

Thanks for the insight. So the actual putter head has not really changed much? Maybe different inserts in certain cases obviously but nothing beyond that?

Just spoke to our local TM rep and he said many new models are coming. Mainly hosel configurations and colors. The one I'm most excited about is a center shaft with a sight line. Jan release. We will see.

CS for the win for sure!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Just spoke to our local TM rep and he said many new models are coming. Mainly hosel configurations and colors. The one I'm most excited about is a center shaft with a sight line. Jan release. We will see.

Wellll, that's exciting! I wonder what kind of colors they would introduce. I've seen a navy one done and that looks pretty awesome!