Rory McIlroy signed with TaylorMade (MERGED)

I'm not man enough to play MBs, but honestly I'm probably going to shift my bag a little to Taylormade. I don't really consider myself a Rory fan boy even though he is my favorite golfer, but I truly think he spent all of this time trying to find truly the best equipment for him and I think he found that in Taylormade. The Epic SZ is staying in the bag for me though. It works for me plain and simple. But I may have to pull the trigger on some Taylormade clubs. I love would love to find a set of 750's and add some MG wedges and a couple FW's. All of this after extensive testing of course, but it now has the validation it needs from me.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Rory is saying all the right things, this came down to money not the ball or anything else. Callaway declined the number that his agent was asking/demanding. Just spoke with a friend at Callaway who confirmed.

And not a thing wrong with that on either of their parts. Good for both, Callaway didn't reach out of its comfort zone and Rors found somebody who would sign him to the number he was looking for.

What is wrong is Rory's BS about testing equipment and going with what works best for his game. Not cool!

Why lie? Just wait for the best offer and sign on the dotted line. No need to BS anyone.

It doesn't mean that all those other comments aren't true. He very well may feel that way about the golf ball as well. Sometimes we all need to justify our decisions so we don't look greedy.

Possibly, but I believe it was just a free agent market tactic. I have no issue with him going where the best money is, but previous comments may leave some of his fans with a slightly bitter taste in their mouth. Testing equipment is cool too, but telling your fans that you will choose what you like best as opposed to whoever gives you the best offer is not cool in my books. JMO I guess.

While Rory is saying all the right things, this came down to money not the ball or anything else. Callaway declined the number that his agent was asking/demanding. Just spoke with a friend at Callaway who confirmed.

And not a thing wrong with that on either of their parts. Good for both, Callaway didn't reach out of its comfort zone and Rors found somebody who would sign him to the number he was looking for.

What is wrong is Rory's BS about testing equipment and going with what works best for his game. Not cool!

Why lie? Just wait for the best offer and sign on the dotted line. No need to BS anyone.

Yeah I don't buy it 100% either. He said it stemmed from The Masters, and his prov1x not performing... so you're telling me he got custom made irons and an endorsement deal probably worth well over $10M in just 3-4 weeks? No way. This has been in the works for many months and the ball is just the scapegoat.

Personally, I don't care about his rationale. TM makes good stuff and the guy has the right to get paid by whomever he chooses.

I agree, and if I was his legal counsel, I would probably tell him to STFU about the other manufacturers at this point. Anybody can sue anyone for any given reason in this country. He just got paid $100M, you can't tell me there aren't going to be some butt-hurt equipment executives that are just looking for a reason to get a piece.

Bottom line is that both companies make great golf clubs and golf balls and Rory knew that they would customize his set and golf ball to the exact specs that he wanted once the deal is done. At the end of the day, TMAG was willing to pay him more to have him on staff than Callaway was; pretty simple.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I'm not man enough to play MBs, but honestly I'm probably going to shift my bag a little to Taylormade. I don't really consider myself a Rory fan boy even though he is my favorite golfer, but I truly think he spent all of this time trying to find truly the best equipment for him and I think he found that in Taylormade. The Epic SZ is staying in the bag for me though. It works for me plain and simple. But I may have to pull the trigger on some Taylormade clubs. I love would love to find a set of 750's and add some MG wedges and a couple FW's. All of this after extensive testing of course, but it now has the validation it needs from me.

This could literally be ad copy, and the main reason major deals like this are made. Consumerism vindicated.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Does anyone know if Rory was able to keep the entire $250 million he got from Nike, or was there some clause in the contract that nullified it when they stopped making golf clubs?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Any one heard any news on some raw MG wedges?

I dont think there is any intention of the raw wedges coming to retail. There is another finish coming out this summer I believe, but it's not raw unfortunately.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Yeah I don't buy it 100% either. He said it stemmed from The Masters, and his prov1x not performing... so you're telling me he got custom made irons and an endorsement deal probably worth well over $10M in just 3-4 weeks? No way. This has been in the works for many months and the ball is just the scapegoat.

Personally, I don't care about his rationale. TM makes good stuff and the guy has the right to get paid by whomever he chooses.

I agree, and if I was his legal counsel, I would probably tell him to STFU about the other manufacturers at this point. Anybody can sue anyone for any given reason in this country. He just got paid $100M, you can't tell me there aren't going to be some butt-hurt equipment executives that are just looking for a reason to get a piece.

I think more than anybody, Titleist would be super pissed. He basically just indirectly trashed their #1 selling product. Doubt they'd sue tho... Somebody would have to prove to a judge that his comments and his comments alone caused them damages. Any good lawyer could write that off to just "market instability" if ProV1 sales tanked.

It's funny though, I play Prov1x's sometimes, but just got a new box of TP5x's from TM as a gift because they screwed up one of my orders. I was maybe just going to sell them for like $35 but now maybe I will give them a spin...

A photo from Tomo Boystedt, Senior Director of TM irons

C_ZaFx4VYAE-xQu.jpg

This could literally be ad copy, and the main reason major deals like this are made. Consumerism vindicated.

Honestly I think there are 4 golfers in the world right now who have the cache enough to move the market this drastically. Rory, Speith, DJ, and Tiger. For some reason a guy like Phil doesn't have this and I can't figure out why. Phil has had X Forged '13 in the bag forever but they don't seem to be as associated with him as other clubs are with certain players. For the short time Rory played Callaway the new Apex MBs and Epic SZ were associated with him. This is an almost invaluable resource for a company to have. For a consumer to walk into a golf store and see a club and be able to say, "that is the club Rory plays" is an extraordinary power over the rest of the market.

I think the money is a lot less than what people are thinking. Nike was throwing around the big money, they've pulled back. Seeing that Mizuno signed some guys, the prices must have come down a lot for them to throw their hat in the ring.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Not sure how many of you saw this, but the GolfWRX crew put together a good article last year about how TaylorMade goes about designing their irons. Since we are all drooling over Rory's irons, I figured it was a good time to bring this back up.

http://www.golfwrx.com/371418/how-taylormade-designs-its-next-set-of-irons/

Honestly I think there are 4 golfers in the world right now who have the cache enough to move the market this drastically. Rory, Speith, DJ, and Tiger. For some reason a guy like Phil doesn't have this and I can't figure out why. Phil has had X Forged '13 in the bag forever but they don't seem to be as associated with him as other clubs are with certain players. For the short time Rory played Callaway the new Apex MBs and Epic SZ were associated with him. This is an almost invaluable resource for a company to have. For a consumer to walk into a golf store and see a club and be able to say, "that is the club Rory plays" is an extraordinary power over the rest of the market.

This is true..... But $10M worth of clubs every year for 10 years just to break even..... I can understand why other manufacturers would bow out of of the bidding war

Did anyone see the 'rors proto irons'? So sick

Yes. That's what this whole thread is about...

Any one heard any news on some raw MG wedges?

I dont think there is any intention of the raw wedges coming to retail. There is another finish coming out this summer I believe, but it's not raw unfortunately.

Guessing probably a black finish? Anything other than chrome is fine with me.

The new finish is Bronze and is expected to be released Q4 of 2017

good for Rory

Money from Nike for clothing and shoes and now TM $$ for equipment, ball and bag

Guaranteed he and TW got some sort of stock option deal if TM sells .. based on previous financials

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Won't affect most players as they can't hit MB's for s***.

Personally I have issues with TM drivers, but that's probably my iffy swing lol. None of them have performed as well as any callaway or titleist driver that I have used.

The only thing I may be tempted with is a TM ball, maybe. Each to their own, none of these manufacturers make s*** clubs, they are all excellent, so what if he has gone for the $, seriously who gives a crap. Good on him, hope he rips it, but it's not the driver or the irons that are his problem, it's all about th putt for dough