2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rory McIlroy signed with TaylorMade (MERGED)

I don't know why everyone keeps saying it's just about the money.... It seems every week on the PGA Tour that the winner is using a Taylormade driver and woods.. their equipment IS that much better. I personally think he made the choice of brand that will give him the best opportunity to win more tournaments and majors.

lol $100 mil.....and its allll about the clubs.. riigghhtttt!

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know why literally every pro plays the M2 over the M1?

I'm more interested in the lack of M1 440's. Seems like that would be a winner on tour.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

TM signing Rory reminds me of the Chicago Cubs going on a spending spree before selling the team. There's something hysterical about companies spending someone else's money, especially when they don't even know who that someone is yet.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

They just look a bit too much like the Mizuno's MP18, but really, he can play whatever he wants. Clearly he likes the blades. And all blades are more similar than different.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

The O'Jay's sang it best.

Money money money money, MONEY

Some people got to have it

Hey, Hey, Hey - some people really need it

Hey, listen to me, y'all do thangs, do thangs, do thangs -

bad thangs with it

Well, you wanna do thangs, do thangs, do thangs -

good thangs with it - yeah

Un Huh, talkin' bout cash money, money

Talkin' bout cash money - dollar bills y'all - come on, now

Yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah

For the love of money

Because they'll never know who in the world they're gonna beat

For that mean, oh mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Cash Money

TM positioning to sell. Classic move by a company trying to increase the "value" on paper. In terms of actual golf I don't think it makes a bit of difference what he plays. The guy is one of the best in the world and could work with anything.

This^ x 1000

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Everybody drooling over the irons. They are beautiful, but most blades are pretty damn sexy

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Callaway need a serious rethink.

They made an offer and got outbid. I have no doubt they wanted him on staff but if the price tag was too much then it didn't make sense. This is part of the reason they've had such a resurgence and are #1 in driver and irons in the marketplace. They would rather put more money behind getting product in peoples hands through marketing, sales, and R&D, then pay $100 million to a player that may or may not have a positive ROI for the company.

So I agree it's a bummer not to have a top 5 player in the world but in the end it's about selling product to players not paying players to play it.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

They made an offer and got outbid. I have no doubt they wanted him on staff but if the price tag was too much then it didn't make sense. This is part of the reason they've had such a resurgence and are #1 in driver and irons in the marketplace. They would rather put more money behind getting product in peoples hands through marketing, sales, and R&D, then pay $100 million to a player that may or may not have a positive ROI for the company.

So I agree it's a bummer not to have a top 5 player in the world but in the end it's about selling product to players not paying players to play it.

Just wait until next year when the new TM driver's are another $50 more because of all this. I also think that with Tiger's big "comeback" being a dud TM had to make up for it and almost had to grab Rory at any cost. Going to be interesting to see how this effects the sale and value of TM. No amount of money and contracts matter if the company files bankruptcy.

Just wait until next year when the new TM driver's are another $50 more because of all this. I also think that with Tiger's big "comeback" being a dud TM had to make up for it and almost had to grab Rory at any cost. Going to be interesting to see how this effects the sale and value of TM. No amount of money and contracts matter if the company files bankruptcy.

Lol, TM is not going to file bankruptcy. Adidas is doing just fine.

I didn't mean it like it was likely but weirder things have happened.

We can twist it any way that we want but at the end of the day Callaway was left holding the bag and it's an unappealing look for the company. There were a lot of articles out there that he was playing Callaway woods and PV1 balls. I am sure that in every golf shop across the country the sales men will be sharing the story of how Rory ditched Callaway, switched to TM woods, and that's why said customer should buy one.

Clubs look fantastic.

I agree that money plays a factor, but I (possibly optimistically) am not sure that it's as big an issue here as some think.

Put it this way, Rory already has hundreds of millions coming his way in prize money, appearance money and endorsements. He therefore has more money than he will ever know what to do with.

All manufacturers would have paid him and yes, TM are probably one of the highest bidders. But he has now reached the stage where money is becoming irrelevant - if TM are paying him 2m more a year than any others, what difference does that make? He has all the money he needs, it's now titles and majors that will define his career. He therefore needs the clubs that will help him do that the best, and fine if they pay him lots too then that's a bonus, but even if they didn't, then the right clubs would help him win far more than the value of any deal anyway.

If we were talking about someone on the breadline who desperately needed cash, then the number on the deal would be more critical, but we're talking about someone who has a mountain of money and just wants to win!

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

I think it's a simple math equation. Even though the pros play different drivers than the rest of us it's logical to assume that the difference between the Epic and the M1/M2 is as negligible as the countless forums and trackman tests suggest. Irons, wedges and putter are slightly different because Rory has every single person in the R&D team at his disposal. It's not extremely difficult to adjust the "feel" of an iron or wedge using different materials or different milling depths or whatever else they can do to dial it in. The putter is slightly different as it requires different inserts but I assume there is enough options so something feels close to right. In the end of the day, money did play a part and I see it as if Taylormade has the better equipment then it's a no-brainer. If Callaway had the better equipment he determined that the performance difference playing Callaway vs. Taylormade clubs would've made him less money than the difference in the contracts.

For those of you just tuning in, here's the TL;DR

"Total cash grab by Rory, it all about the $money$" - every Callaway fanboy

Previously on WRX:

"Rory is playing the BEST equipment, he doesn't need the money. FACT: any contract he signs will simply be subracted from the $250m Nike money." - every Callaway fanboy

hashtag#zoocrew

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Welcome Rory, no stop focusing on making your body look like you crossfit everyday. Just play golf and dominate.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Clubs look fantastic.

I agree that money plays a factor, but I (possibly optimistically) am not sure that it's as big an issue here as some think.

Put it this way, Rory already has hundreds of millions coming his way in prize money, appearance money and endorsements. He therefore has more money than he will ever know what to do with.

All manufacturers would have paid him and yes, TM are probably one of the highest bidders. But he has now reached the stage where money is becoming irrelevant - if TM are paying him 2m more a year than any others, what difference does that make? He has all the money he needs, it's now titles and majors that will define his career. He therefore needs the clubs that will help him do that the best, and fine if they pay him lots too then that's a bonus, but even if they didn't, then the right clubs would help him win far more than the value of any deal anyway.

If we were talking about someone on the breadline who desperately needed cash, then the number on the deal would be more critical, but we're talking about someone who has a mountain of money and just wants to win!

Maybe he doesn't have all the money he needs. Maybe he wants to save up to buy a castle, or a golf resort, or an equipment company.

Taxes take a big chunk of that money.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Taylor Made is for sale. It is quite possible that after Adidas gets rid of TM, that TM might not make it as a stand alone company. The way the industry is going, Rory could be looking for a new deal in a few years.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Taylor Made is for sale. It is quite possible that after Adidas gets rid of TM, that TM might not make it as a stand alone company. The way the industry is going, Rory could be looking for a new deal in a few years.

T

That was my point. Adidas may be doing fine but TM wouldn't be for sale unless they were hurting them. Someone will come along and believe they can do a better job and/or fix them. That doesn't mean they'll pull it off. Adding Rory potentially makes the company more appealing but he'll have to perform long term to offset the risk that this deal adds to the bottom line. Any if we learned anything from Tiger, nothing is a safe bet.

Callaway need a rethink because the Epic woods and pm wedges are filling the second hand racks. Add to that the new irons look horrendous AND they've got no one on staff challenging on a week to week basis I think the revolution everyone predicted hasn't materialised.

TM have a winner in the M family. The woods are so much better.