2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rory McIlroy signed with TaylorMade (MERGED)

from an article on PGA....

PGATOUR.COM: What was your initial impression when you saw the prototype irons for the first time?

McILROY: "I still remember I was on the range at The Bear's Club with [Dustin Johnson] and he saw the irons in my bag and immediately made a call to someone at TaylorMade to make sure he got a set

That sh1t right there is pure gold.....

Now that's funny. I don't blame him.

Wonder if DJ was annoyed that TM built Rory a custom set of blades but he's been using the older MB for years. Not like he's #1 in the world or anything!

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rory does play the spider putter and starts winning I think the BST might explode!

Which means hedge your bets and buy about 5 right now so you can sell them for a marked up price when they are all on 6 week back order lol.

You know it's kind of interesting.... I don't follow Callaway staffers too much, but out of the 4 guys I do follow (Henrik, Phil, Hadwin & Reed) only one is using the new O works stuff. However, if Rory does somehow switch to the tour mallet, that pretty much makes almost all of TM's top dogs using that putter except Rose. Makes me think that TM is on to something there, that's pretty good tour validation, whereas most of the guys I see using Odyssey still have old inserts (Phil being the one who comes to mind that uses O works).

PGATOUR.COM: What was your initial impression when you saw the prototype irons for the first time?

McILROY: "I still remember I was on the range at The Bear's Club with [Dustin Johnson] and he saw the irons in my bag and immediately made a call to someone at TaylorMade to make sure he got a set

Wonder if DJ was annoyed that TM built Rory a custom set of blades but he's been using the older MB for years. Not like he's #1 in the world or anything!

With the heater DJ has been on, I doubt there have been many discussions of equipment changes.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Although money is the driving factor rory did not win with the callaway equipment. It was an epic fail. If he won the masters and a few more tournaments with the epic he would not have switched.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

If Rory does play the spider putter and starts winning I think the BST might explode!

Which means hedge your bets and buy about 5 right now so you can sell them for a marked up price when they are all on 6 week back order lol.

You know it's kind of interesting.... I don't follow Callaway staffers too much, but out of the 4 guys I do follow (Henrik, Phil, Hadwin & Reed) only one is using the new O works stuff. However, if Rory does somehow switch to the tour mallet, that pretty much makes almost all of TM's top dogs using that putter except Rose. Makes me think that TM is on to something there, that's pretty good tour validation, whereas most of the guys I see using Odyssey still have old inserts (Phil being the one who comes to mind that uses O works).

He got them to make him a set of irons from scratch - he could probably get them to make a fully-milled-no-insert putter for him if need be. That is the one thing TM is missing in this product cycle (and the past few) IMO.

I'll be interested to see if he sticks w/the TP Mullen putter. The TP line feels great.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I doubt he got annoyed. I don't think he gets annoyed by anything. He probably did the same thing we'd do if we could. "Whoa those are sick! Hey agent guy, get me a set of those with DJ stamps ASAP!"

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

INSIDER INFO:

Guys, we've seen the 10 year / $100,000,000 number "rumored" by the Irish Times and contacted our TaylorMade sources. They confirmed that this number is "GROSSLY overstated and absolutely incorrect."

While we can't disclose actual numbers, we can confirm only that it is indeed a multi-year deal. Again, TaylorMade has said that the actual contract is simply not the $100MM number that's been reported.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

He got them to make him a set of irons from scratch - he could probably get them to make a fully-milled-no-insert putter for him if need be. That is the one thing TM is missing in this product cycle (and the past few) IMO.

Pretty easy I'd say. Just modify the drawing for the mullen to not have an insert, and bam, fully milled face.

I'd guess they never did because they wanted to compete directly against Odyssey, which are mainly known for inserts. I think they probably assumed the fully milled putter market was predominantly Scotty, and they didn't want to waste money trying to compete.

He seemed to volunteer to use the O works, so I could only assume he is okay with an insert. As he said, he is used to a milled face, but he seems to be a data driven/results guy. If he can get TM to make him a putter that gives superior results, he won't care if it's fully milled or has an insert.

Looks to be the same Odyssey he has gamed. He's on TV now with the Callaway/Odyssey rep using it on the practice green.

He's already stated he's keeping the O works for now. I'd be willing to guess though somewhere in that contract, a putter is mentioned... Why pay a guy that kind of money to let him weasel out of 1 club?

Looks to be the same Odyssey he has gamed. He's on TV now with the Callaway/Odyssey rep using it on the practice green.

He's already stated he's keeping the O works for now. I'd be willing to guess though somewhere in that contract, a putter is mentioned... Why pay a guy that kind of money to let him weasel out of 1 club?

Ever hear of Tiger Woods? Pretty sure he used a Scotty Cameron for every single major victory.

Nike let Tiger play his Scotty for years. It isn't that far-fetched.

Although money is the driving factor rory did not win with the callaway equipment. It was an epic fail. If he won the masters and a few more tournaments with the epic he would not have switched.

Money was the only factor. Calling his time with the Callaway equipment "an epic fail" is just plain ignorant as he finished 7th at The Masters, 4th at the AP Invitational, 7th at the WGC Mexico Championships, and 2nd at the BMW SA Open.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

He's also testing an 8.25*

The pics of the face make it look deeper than retail. Does the face look deeper to you? I haven't spent a lot of time with the M2.

Now that you mention it, they do look pretty deep. It may be the angle though.

The 8.25

DSC_0041p.jpg

And the 9.75

DSC_0055p.jpg

Man, these sure do look like they are deeper faced than retail. Was considering the M2 but passed because of the shallow looking face.

Is it me or does the 8.25 face sort of look like the R510?

I guess his dissatisfaction with the Titleist ball will not impact their sales one little bit. Only if all the legends in their own minds here think their game would have the same problem upwind and downwind at the Masters Rory spoke about. 99.50% of the people that buy Titleist balls don't remotely have Rory's game except in their dreams..

I still think the Callaway MB looks more like a muscle back than the Rors prototype. That swirled machining certainly ruins the look of a traditional muscle back. I doubt there is any functional reason for it. Without it those would have been stunning..

While Rory is saying all the right things, this came down to money not the ball or anything else. Callaway declined the number that his agent was asking/demanding. Just spoke with a friend at Callaway who confirmed.

And not a thing wrong with that on either of their parts. Good for both, Callaway didn't reach out of its comfort zone and Rors found somebody who would sign him to the number he was looking for.

What is wrong is Rory's BS about testing equipment and going with what works best for his game. Not cool!

Why lie? Just wait for the best offer and sign on the dotted line. No need to BS anyone.

It doesn't mean that all those other comments aren't true. He very well may feel that way about the golf ball as well. Sometimes we all need to justify our decisions so we don't look greedy.

Possibly, but I believe it was just a free agent market tactic. I have no issue with him going where the best money is, but previous comments may leave some of his fans with a slightly bitter taste in their mouth. Testing equipment is cool too, but telling your fans that you will choose what you like best as opposed to whoever gives you the best offer is not cool in my books. JMO I guess.

but he says he has chosen what he likes best?...believe it or not, it's possible. perhaps it really is about the money (I think it was)... if I were in his shoes I'd go where I got the best contract as well - even if it meant the equipment wasn't necessarily as good, but comparable and allowed me to compete. that isn't to say that the epic is inferior as I have no experience with either.

...you mean, besides the fully milled 303 TP line...?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

No doubt about that one, for sure. But look at all of TM's big staff right now... Do you see anyone playing anything but TM... Anything?

I wouldn't be overly concerned or surprised if they let Rory play the O works for a while, especially if he wins. But then they are kind of showing the other big names, especially DJ, that Rory is "special" and potentially above the contract rules TM set forth for all of them. That's only if some of those guys didn't want the spider tour let's say... Maybe they all loved it, and all the TM clubs, then I'm totally off point. Just based off those bags, I assume TM obligates all those guys to make the whole bag only their product.

i'm pretty sure 11-13 club contracts are the norm and 14 is a rarity

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Any one heard any news on some raw MG wedges?

I dont think there is any intention of the raw wedges coming to retail. There is another finish coming out this summer I believe, but it's not raw unfortunately.

Guessing probably a black finish? Anything other than chrome is fine with me.

The new finish is Bronze and is expected to be released Q4 of 2017

Here are some pictures of the Antique Bronze finish. Right now it looks like they may only be released in the Standard Bounce version.

TaylorMadeFinishFeat.jpg

post-2286-0-91745800-1486148782_thumb.png

I guess his dissatisfaction with the Titleist ball will not impact their sales one little bit. Only if all the legends in their own minds here think their game would have the same problem upwind and downwind at the Masters Rory spoke about. 99.50% of the people that buy Titleist balls don't remotely have Rory's game except in their dreams.

I gotta call BS on this. Clearly it's 99.81% that don't have Rory's game.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

No doubt about that one, for sure. But look at all of TM's big staff right now... Do you see anyone playing anything but TM... Anything?

I wouldn't be overly concerned or surprised if they let Rory play the O works for a while, especially if he wins. But then they are kind of showing the other big names, especially DJ, that Rory is "special" and potentially above the contract rules TM set forth for all of them. That's only if some of those guys didn't want the spider tour let's say... Maybe they all loved it, and all the TM clubs, then I'm totally off point. Just based off those bags, I assume TM obligates all those guys to make the whole bag only their product.

DJ only recently moved from a Scotty to the Spider so I don't think this is on point.

18341634_1894206974127348_1327092616632757518_n.png?oh=cdb9a274d379d334e40a1a98b0dc9800&oe=59BA45BC

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Rather than using DJs 2014 MBs they created a new Rors prototype and in the podcast Rory said as soon as DJ saw them he was on the phone asking for a set..

You can doubt what was reported about inconsistencies in golf digest, but there is a podcast where he says exactly what they reported.

Now all the droolers on this site can stop having a stroke about when the Callaway MB will be coming to market and they can get rid of their Epic drivers and switch to M2s and start the whining about when will the Rors protos be available..

Maybe Jack will switch to an M2 now that Rory has switched, so Rory can show him how to adjust it for next years Masters ceremonial drive..

DJ wanting a set of the irons has nothing to do with what I said. They're probably great irons! If I could get a set, I would. I'm saying that the inconsistencies seems a bit weird to me. MB's don't have major differences in them, they'll have some, and enough to prefer one set over another, no doubt, but if the lofts are what you want, and what you've been practicing, there's not really a whole ton of innovation that one company or another could do to make one that much more consistent than another one. I'm not even saying that the TM's aren't better than his last set in one way or another for him, they very well could be, but Rory saying he could barely hit the 8i 140 yards isn't because of a difference in manufacturers.