Rory McIlroy signed with TaylorMade (MERGED)

Well, $100,000,000 is hard to argue with. Yes he says he likes the equipment, but I am sure $100,000,000 had just a wee bit to do with selecting TM.

Taylormade apparently reporting the deal is no where near 100m, but multi-year deal confirmed. We'll have to see, you know there was a pretty penny somewhere in there though, haha.

Finally a voice of logic and reason quoting facts. I was wondering where this 100m figure was coming from.... thin air.

I read about the $100M in the British press.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, $100,000,000 is hard to argue with. Yes he says he likes the equipment, but I am sure $100,000,000 had just a wee bit to do with selecting TM.

Taylormade apparently reporting the deal is no where near 100m, but multi-year deal confirmed. We'll have to see, you know there was a pretty penny somewhere in there though, haha.

Finally a voice of logic and reason quoting facts. I was wondering where this 100m figure was coming from.... thin air.

GolfWRX brass relayed a message directly from TM sources yesterday that the 10yr/$100M figures were way off. It's a nice, shiny number though, so I understand why people are running with it.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

GolfWRX brass relayed a message directly from TM sources yesterday that the 10yr/$100M figures were way off. It's a nice, shiny number though, so I understand why people are running with it.

Well, Nike reportedly gave him a $200,000,000 contract, so the $100,000,000 is not beyond the realm of possibility. If it's true, I wonder if the other TM players will want to re-negotiate their contracts...seems to be the "in" thing in professional sports. :-)

TM positioning to sell. Classic move by a company trying to increase the "value" on paper. In terms of actual golf I don't think it makes a bit of difference what he plays. The guy is one of the best in the world and could work with anything.

See my post yesterday. Case closed

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

TM positioning to sell. Classic move by a company trying to increase the "value" on paper. In terms of actual golf I don't think it makes a bit of difference what he plays. The guy is one of the best in the world and could work with anything.

I wonder if TM was pursuing Rory prior to KPS getting involved in talks to buy or if being in talks with Rory was part of the reason KPS bought TM (on the condition of actually signing him).

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Lots of guys with Callaway heavy sigs throwing shade around here. Coincidence?

Then they look in the mirror and shout "I'm not fat!"

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I wonder if TM was pursuing Rory prior to KPS getting involved in talks to buy or if being in talks with Rory was part of the reason KPS bought TM (on the condition of actually signing him).

It's all tied together nothing is coincidence.

@Rig14Port - not sure if you're referring to me but I played TM all last year and this year up until I switched to the Epic. Plus the fact that I was right shows it's not shade but reality and business. It was extremely obvious what was going on.

I have a full Callaway bag, but am not biased. I just think that TaylorMade and the people who play their clubs are probably all like, dog murderers or something. Like they kill dogs for fun, and probably hate America

Also not sure if on topic, but Callaway is super amazing.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have a full Callaway bag, but am not biased. I just think that TaylorMade and the people who play their clubs are probably all like, dog murderers or something. Like they kill dogs for fun, and probably hate America

I have a bag full of TM clubs that were given to me by the greatest equipment manufacturer in the world and I can say without hesitation that my clubs are better than yours and I am more intelligent, more handsome, more charming, more attractive to the fairer sex, funnier, and more macho than you and every other user of Callaway golf products on the planet.

In fact, I am the reason Rory chose TaylorMade. Not money or performance. Me.

God bless TaylorMade and the United States of America!

BTW, those Odyssey staff bags at TPC are really sweet. Would my TM gear look out of place in one of those?

Well I play Ping, Bridgestone, and Mizuno. Love watching the Callaway and TM fanboy civil war. Love knowing that I play real equipment from legit companies who stay above the sleazy marketing schemes. You Callaway and TM fanboy hacks keep hacking away at each other. Best entertainment around here in a long time. ??

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

So much for the argument that this was equipment based and not money. This deal has been in the works for some time, even before Rory made his golf ball comments. Well orchestrated. Looks like the M&A had Rory already factored in as these things take months to iron out. This is pretty crazy news.

That would imply Rory was in on it for months and was playing a long con by using the Pro V1x and then switching to TP5x in dramatic fashion. No way. No how. The guy is not going to sabotage the first few months of the season to be a part of something like this. The official story, that this really got started a month ago after the Masters, is far more likely. That said, TM started their 90 day formal separation planning on March 31, so I would love to know how Rory's move during this time was handled.

Regarding the money vs equipment aspect. Rory was going to get paid large sums of money regardless of what company he picked. He picked the equipment he liked and got paid. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? If he liked the Callaway performance better, he would have picked them and gotten paid large sums of money. I'm going to believe him that he picked what he wanted to play and got paid after.

Jll62, you're post misses the mark because you assume that Rory sabotaged his season because his equipment didn't perform. The fact is Rory has struggled because of his play not his equipment. The Titleist and TM ball have not contributed a thing to his struggles or success. You could give Rory a top flite and he could still put the ball in the hole. This has more than likely been in works for a while and there was a planned strategy to get the best bang for their buck from a marketing perspective. Well done TM. I will find a lot more tp5x (whatever it is) on the course now.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

It's all tied together nothing is coincidence.

@Rig14Port - not sure if you're referring to me but I played TM all last year and this year up until I switched to the Epic. Plus the fact that I was right shows it's not shade but reality and business. It was extremely obvious what was going on.

This is spot on. People thinking that deals in the hundreds of millions can sometimes coincidentally come together like this in a matter of a few weeks are extremely naive. Anybody that knows anything about M&As or does some basic research on the topic knows that this deal was in the making (Rory, KPS, and TM) for quite some time now. Furthermore, it was played beautifully by Rory and his representation to get max contract value by creating a bidding war with Callaway. It is 100% about money. He can win playing anything (it's all custom made anyway).

Well I play Ping, Bridgestone, and Mizuno. Love watching the Callaway and TM fanboy civil war. Love knowing that I play real equipment from legit companies who stay above the sleazy marketing schemes. You Callaway and TM fanboy hacks keep hacking away at each other. Best entertainment around here in a long time.

What about TEE? Come on man! You can't be a self-proclaimed free agent w/o some exotics! JK, seeing some of these brand-loyal Cally vs TM posts really are funny esp considering Rory didn't really care what it said on his clubs as long as he got paid.

I have a bag full of TM clubs that were given to me by the greatest equipment manufacturer in the world and I can say without hesitation that my clubs are better than yours and I am more intelligent, more handsome, more charming, more attractive to the fairer sex, funnier, and more macho than you and every other user of Callaway golf products on the planet.

BTW, those Odyssey staff bags at TPC are really sweet. Would my TM gear look out of place in one of those?

Alright guys, that's enough. Take your brand biased popsicle sucking to another golf website(there is another one out there that specializes in this sort of thing) :D

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Alright guys, that's enough. Take your brand biased popsicle sucking to another golf website(there is another one out there that specializes in this sort of thing) :D

Bigger issue at hand is why did TM release an 8.5* m1 440 and not a 8.5* M2??????

Bigger issue at hand is why did TM release an 8.5* m1 440 and not a 8.5* M2??????

my guess is popularity of the M1 8.5 430 head last year?

was there a huge market for 8.5 M2 heads last year?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I could care less what a pro or anyone else uses to play golf.

He's had a lot on his plate lately and this whole thing is just added stress and he'll be under the microscope for a bit. I love watching the best players at their best and hope Rory adjusts quickly. It's a nice looking bag.

The best scenario for all of us is TM is healthy moving forward and keeps pumping out quality equipment for us to enjoy.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

You're right. It wasn't my intention to say that callaway sucks, or that TM is the best. But re-reading my post, it clearly comes across as me saying that callaway sucks and TM is the best. Let's be clear: it wasn't my intention to say callaway sucks and TaylorMade is the best. My point really was that callaway is inferior and TM is far superior. Oh, and playing TM makes me far superior. Just saying.

This is all tongue in cheek, of course. I have a reason to be a TM fan, but I'm watching the Players with a mizuno iron in hand, have an odyssey putter in the bag, and WOULD KILL for one of those Odyssey staff bags with a nice set of Apex MBs to go along. I love golf equipment - no bias here.

That said, Rory now has millions of reasons to be biased. Call this what it is: a golf "free agent" who found a new home with TM. I'm sure money was a motivating factor, and a very BIG one. Given how good the TM gear is of late, I also have no doubt that the equipment was a draw as well. Sounds like he's been spending some time with DJ, too, so maybe there is a bit of a bromance brewing there that influenced Rory's decision. Lord knows Phil didn't exactly endear himself to Rory over the years.

Bottom line is that Rory won with Nike equipment in his bag. Everyone knows that stuff was junk! Just proves he can win with anything. Imagine how many more tournaments he would have won with TM or Callaway gear!

You're right. It wasn't my intention to say that callaway sucks, or that TM is the best. But re-reading my post, it clearly comes across as me saying that callaway sucks and TM is the best. Let's be clear: it wasn't my intention to say callaway sucks and TaylorMade is the best. My point really was that callaway is inferior and TM is far superior. Oh, and playing TM makes me far superior. Just saying.

This is all tongue in cheek, of course. I have a reason to be a TM fan, but I'm watching the Players with a mizuno iron in hand, have an odyssey putter in the bag, and WOULD KILL for one of those Odyssey staff bags with a nice set of Apex MBs to go along. I love golf equipment - no bias here.

That said, Rory now has millions of reasons to be biased. Call this what it is: a golf "free agent" who found a new home with TM. I'm sure money was a motivating factor, and a very BIG one. Given how good the TM gear is of late, I also have no doubt that the equipment was a draw as well. Sounds like he's been spending some time with DJ, too, so maybe there is a bit of a bromance brewing there that influenced Rory's decision. Lord knows Phil didn't exactly endear himself to Rory over the years.

Bottom line is that Rory won with Nike equipment in his bag. Everyone knows that stuff was junk! Just proves he can win with anything. Imagine how many more tournaments he would have won with TM or Callaway gear!

Classic WRX right here. Says he's not biased and then follows it up with Nike was junk.

Classic WRX right here. Says he's not biased and then follows it up with Nike was junk.

You do realize that my post was tongue-in-cheek, right? Should I have used blue font for the parts that I intended to be sarcastic and/or ironic?

I was a Nike fan from the day they opened until the day they closed shop. I guess my attempt at humor missed the mark with them.

You do realize that my post was tongue-in-cheek, right? Should I have used blue font for the parts that I intended to be sarcastic and/or ironic?

I was a Nike fan from the day they opened until the day they closed shop. I guess my attempt at humor missed the mark with them.

try comic sans next time

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Wouldn't it be interesting if Rors could pull out a win this week?

to be honest, TM has had so much publicity as of late -- if someone wins this thing with any TM product -- it'll continue the train.

even if he doesn't win -- the news has been made this week.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

RORY is E thru 6. In talks with Cobra

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s