2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I need to stop reading this thread. Every post is making me closer and closer to buying a set.

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I need to stop reading this thread. Every post is making me closer and closer to buying a set.

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

I've had a custom set in my cart off and on since Saturday, but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Now availability of the heads appears to be pushed out a week. Damn! Should have just ordered them when I had the impulse. I wanted to play them in my last couple of tournaments.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

I've had a custom set in my cart off and on since Saturday, but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Now availability of the heads is out couple of weeks. Damn! Should have just ordered them when I had the impulse. I wanted to play them in my last couple of tournaments.

where's the lack of availability verified anywhere? genuinely didn't see this...?

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

I've had a custom set in my cart off and on since Saturday, but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Now availability of the heads is out couple of weeks. Damn! Should have just ordered them when I had the impulse. I wanted to play them in my last couple of tournaments.

where's the lack of availability verified anywhere? genuinely didn't see this...?

On TaylorMade's custom order page. I just configured a set and the earliest ship date of 4-PW heads is now 10/2. It was 9/25 yesterday. As I understand it, you have to factor in 3 business days for the build. So that means they pushed out 4-5 days from where they were yesterday.

My WITB Post

just got off the phone with my rep - he said there's no availability issues that he's been made aware of

just got off the phone with my rep - he said there's no availability issues that he's been made aware of

Maybe for stock orders? There was a definite push out 5 days from yesterday on the Custom Shop.

My WITB Post

Many times, availability delays can be due to grips or shafts.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

agreed - see: modus issues during P770/750 launch.

Definitely true, but not for the order I was contemplating. See the image attached above.

My WITB Post

First used set just showed up on ebay for $799. lol

http://www.ebay.com/...GAAAOSwNZtZwdHL

I wish I hadn't seen this! My preferred shaft. :russian_roulette:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

I can'ttttttt!! I honestly don't know what shaft I belong in any more. Last season I was in Modus 105 stiff, then I got fit and ended up in PX LZ 6.0's... Now... I could assume that I should stick with the PX but who the hell knows anymore. I've got KBS 120's in my wedges lol.

I also don't know if I would need tweaking to the lofts, and I would ideally want to see how they faired against JPX 900 and CF16. I'm really considering setting up a fitting but knowing me, it will be 10x harder after a fitting to not pull the trigger.

My fiancé will freaking kill me if I go spend $1000 on clubs.

...which is why I have all my golf stuff shipped to work.

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

I can'ttttttt!! I honestly don't know what shaft I belong in any more. Last season I was in Modus 105 stiff, then I got fit and ended up in PX LZ 6.0's... Now... I could assume that I should stick with the PX but who the hell knows anymore. I've got KBS 120's in my wedges lol.

I also don't know if I would need tweaking to the lofts, and I would ideally want to see how they faired against JPX 900 and CF16. I'm really considering setting up a fitting but knowing me, it will be 10x harder after a fitting to not pull the trigger.

how's that saying go? i dunno...something about forgiveness ? lol

I played my first round with them today. I only bough 5-PW (KBS Tour FLT's in them) as I have a 4 hybrid I love.

Mixed bag results, to be honest. I'm not a great player at a 14 cap anyway; usually score in mid/high 80's but my irons were always the strongest part of my game. I've played Apex CF16's and loved them, but had an issue with ballooning shots from time to time.

With these, when well struck, I controlled my flight incredibly well compared to the CF16's. If I wanted high, it went HIGH, but if I wanted to keep it low, it did just that. Many, many holes I just dropped a ball at 170-180yrds out and hit 7 iron in various shots to see what happened.

The clubs are some how noticeably heavier than my CF16's. I have 30 gram shafts compared to 20 in my CF16's so that is obviously part of it, but I would think there has to be some different in the heads based on how they felt. It is taking getting used to; I didn't hit them particularly well today.

As I already said I dropped a ton of balls to get more shots in, but I always "scored" with 1 ball and those shots weren't always impressive if I had a 5 or 6 iron in hand (2nd and third go-round always improved). 7 was intermediate performance, and 8-PW were good/great.

Love the sound. Sounds 10X better than my CF16's

One constant....some how I have always had a little fade and now I have a little draw. Cant figure out why, but it was throughout the set.

Going to try and play more either this weekend or next week and get a better feel. So far I do like them, but a larger adjustment period than I was expecting.

*edited because my grammar was atrocious - I was driving and using speak to text...

Little follow up from this last "review" of my first round....

Played 9 holes today at a small little par 27 course. Had the place literally to myself, so although the longest hole is only 150 yards, I frequently dropped a ball and went at a different green anywhere from 150-200 yards out.

I struck these 10x better today. Yesterday must have just been an "off day" that came at a very untimely round. They still draw on me. Have no clue what is going on - I hit the CF16 iron and it'll fade. Hit ball from same spot and same swing (I guess we'll say "similar swing") and it draws.

And...the sound was still amazing. Thats the only thing I never really cared for in my last irons and these are 10x better!

I played my first round with them today. I only bough 5-PW (KBS Tour FLT's in them) as I have a 4 hybrid I love.

Mixed bag results, to be honest. I'm not a great player at a 14 cap anyway; usually score in mid/high 80's but my irons were always the strongest part of my game. I've played Apex CF16's and loved them, but had an issue with ballooning shots from time to time.

With these, when well struck, I controlled my flight incredibly well compared to the CF16's. If I wanted high, it went HIGH, but if I wanted to keep it low, it did just that. Many, many holes I just dropped a ball at 170-180yrds out and hit 7 iron in various shots to see what happened.

The clubs are some how noticeably heavier than my CF16's. I have 30 gram shafts compared to 20 in my CF16's so that is obviously part of it, but I would think there has to be some different in the heads based on how they felt. It is taking getting used to; I didn't hit them particularly well today.

As I already said I dropped a ton of balls to get more shots in, but I always "scored" with 1 ball and those shots weren't always impressive if I had a 5 or 6 iron in hand (2nd and third go-round always improved). 7 was intermediate performance, and 8-PW were good/great.

Love the sound. Sounds 10X better than my CF16's

One constant....some how I have always had a little fade and now I have a little draw. Cant figure out why, but it was throughout the set.

Going to try and play more either this weekend or next week and get a better feel. So far I do like them, but a larger adjustment period than I was expecting.

*edited because my grammar was atrocious - I was driving and using speak to text...

Little follow up from this last "review" of my first round....

Played 9 holes today at a small little par 27 course. Had the place literally to myself, so although the longest hole is only 150 yards, I frequently dropped a ball and went at a different green anywhere from 150-200 yards out.

I struck these 10x better today. Yesterday must have just been an "off day" that came at a very untimely round. They still draw on me. Have no clue what is going on - I hit the CF16 iron and it'll fade. Hit ball from same spot and same swing (I guess we'll say "similar swing") and it draws.

And...the sound was still amazing. Thats the only thing I never really cared for in my last irons and these are 10x better!

get your lie angles checked --- odds are they might be too upright for you.

Hit the 7i on Sunday, stock stiff - when I buy my long irons, I'll be bending them weak. These irons are pretty darn long and low spin.

3d96d630b81e57657fd62272d658b98c.jpg

4200 spin on a 7 iron? Never seen such a thing. Is that a misread perhaps? Would be totally unplayable.

it was not -- i hit a whole bunch of shots and the average spin was probably closer to 5k -- but still under it. i'll be getting these bent weaker for obvious reasons.

Would love to see what your dynamic loft is? probably taking a 33* loft down to 20* LOL....

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

DAMN YOU WRX.

don't think. buy. lol

how's that saying go? i dunno...something about forgiveness ? lol

ya something along those lines loll.

But she did mention she'd either buy my clubs or get me some fittings for an engagement present. After pricing out our wedding though and all that fun stuff, I'm not sure which part of her @$$ she's pulling out more money from... so not sure if that's happening.

I ordered a P790 3 iron a couple days ago and my pro said the 3 iron is back-ordered until November. Anyone else run into this as well?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG4 Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x (2024)

Bet those lasted a whole 2.5 seconds on EBay. Just the setup I am looking at.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

To be fair I believe he also said he preferred the feel of the PXG

I've watched this video and I think more accurately he gave the edge to the PXG in the feel department but went on to say it was just a little bit more muted perhaps softer but that it probably wasn't really (softer) and that it might be more sound than actual feel. (which we know sound gets equated to feel quite a bit)

He did note he got a couple hundred more rev's with the PXG's so he preferred that. He also said he preferred the looks of the 790 over the PXG.

You could tell he really like them both.

Please do not steer this thread back in the direction of a debate about PXG. This thread has been cleaned up multiple times already. Limit discussion to the irons themselves and your personal experiences.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Yes I thought it was a solid and fair comparison and based off of it I would be looking P790.

I cannot wait to finally hit the order button on these bad boys

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77