Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

3 rounds on them and it only took me about 9 holes to get adjusted. Really impressed with the performance of these irons so far. Distance, dispersion, and launch is all improved for me. Regarding the 0311 XF's, I have a set and I much prefer the 790's in all facets of performance. Have 7 rounds over the next 4 days so they will get a good work-out.

What's your opinion on their feel? Soft? Click? (Would love to hear your feeling on this "Speed Foam".)

These are not buttery soft nor are they "clicky", feel to me is solid and powerful without the harshness of a head that has distance and forgiveness built into it. I'm a fan of the feel of these irons because they differentiate between a well struck shot and a not so good one. This is such a subjective thing, as an offer of 0311XF's I find the 790's "softer" but with more power if that makes a damn bit of sense!

Well, that makes absolute perfect sense. We'll have to see if they can unseat my J15 CBs.

Thank you for your insight.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Ziggy

New JPX line 3/1 according to the rep last week

Thank you. Any details?? I loved my old MP 54's but the JPX 900F left me feeling... underwhelmed? Same with the MP-25's. The additional of boron honestly ruins that Mizuno feel for me. I'd really wish they'd do a new JPX line like the Tour was, sans anything... Just give me that GF forging and I'll be on my way...

Now it's a matter of do I go get a fitting now... or wait til next season with this news. I feel like at this point it's either 790's or CF16's.

OK so mine are on order and hopefully here soon. I went with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts, 1" over and 3 degrees upright.

I was able to stop into the PGA Tour Superstore and spend an hour with a 2 degree up P790 7 iron in a DG105 S300 shaft that was +1" over standard.

Man I loved the feel of the club and I was getting pretty good numbers for me. I was constantly getting between 172-176 yards total with low spin and 48* descent angle.

Verdict is they are softer and fly about 15 yards farther than my Titleist 716 T-MB I am currently gaming.

Attached is a pic of the screen with numbers after one of my shots. Can't' wait to get my P790s to the course.

Not questioning your swing just curious about the swing speed of 109mph and ball only carried 159?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

OK so mine are on order and hopefully here soon. I went with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts, 1" over and 3 degrees upright.

I was able to stop into the PGA Tour Superstore and spend an hour with a 2 degree up P790 7 iron in a DG105 S300 shaft that was +1" over standard.

Man I loved the feel of the club and I was getting pretty good numbers for me. I was constantly getting between 172-176 yards total with low spin and 48* descent angle.

Verdict is they are softer and fly about 15 yards farther than my Titleist 716 T-MB I am currently gaming.

Attached is a pic of the screen with numbers after one of my shots. Can't' wait to get my P790s to the course.

Not questioning your swing just curious about the swing speed of 109mph and ball only carried 159?

Ball speed? Take any numbers from a place like that with a grain of salt anyways

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Thats not my swing seed thats the ball speed. The machine at PGS SS does not clock your swing speed just the ball speed. I am guessing my swing speed with a 7 iron is only like 90 mph or maybe a little less.

Ah yes! Don't mind me. I was laying in bed when I opened my app. That's what happens when you haven't sipped the morning elixir

I really want these irons! I don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but does it sound clicky at impact?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Thats not my swing seed thats the ball speed. The machine at PGS SS does not clock your swing speed just the ball speed. I am guessing my swing speed with a 7 iron is only like 90 mph or maybe a little less.

Not to nitpick, but 109mph ball speed and 90mph swing speed would be a terrible smash factor. With a normal smash factor, I would think your swing speed was around 80mph, give or take.

Fair enough maybe it is 80 mph. Whatever, I'm not trying to blow your hair back with my huge speed lol. I'm just a reg guy working on it. :-)

Alls I am saying is the the machine only tracked the ball speed. Regardless 174 yards with a 7 iron for me who is NOT a big hitter is fun even if the lofts are a bit jacked up.

15 yard roll though due to that ~4400 rpm spin. Was this an actual fitting or just you messing around at demo?

Tour ball used or junk range balls?

Yeah I figured it was garbage balls because 4400 is reeeeaalllly low for a 7i. Seems though these launch up to the moon ... 23* LA?? Do you flip at impact or do they really go about 3-4* higher than is typical? Usually see us amateurs in that low 20* or even high teens. PGA average around 16* or so. And considering that's 16* from a "normally lofted" 7i, 23 seems awfully for what's really a weak 6i.

i'll be picking up a 3,4,5 iron in these, with DG TI X100's hardstepped --

3I bent 2* weak

4I bent 3* weak

5I bent 3* weak

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Stopped by my local shop to try out the 790 7 iron. Was anxious to see a forged thin face players like performance club. Very nice shape and finish. Much bigger with a very thick top line (not evident in photos). Tried with several steel and graphite shafts. What a disappointment, odd sound at impact, dead feeling, good distance but not great. Just to make sure it wasn't me I went and got a set of M1s and a PXG (of all things). Yes I will say it the PXGs were night and day better feeling at impact as were the M1s. Both better distance wise (although nothing remarkable). I need to reserve final judgement until a demo set is available that doesn't have that awful heavy looking hosel attachment arrangement. Dang it was looking for a new set of irons to play around with..Was hoping by being forged they would have more feel than the Epic Pros. Not only is that not true but they appear very large compared to the Epic Pros. I knew it wasn't going to work for me when the PXGs were much better feeling. Don't know if it is the difference between speed foam and TPE, but if it is TPE wins hands down.. Spin was considerably lower (500+) than the M1s, PXGs, Epic Pros which seemed to not be desirable.

Thanks Sandy for the honest review of the Tailor Maid P790 iron.

I am very surprised that they did not feel better than the M1...normally the cast club is a loser in the feel dept.

Not surprised they don't measure up in feel to the PXG as Michael Newton already made mention of that in his testing.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Stopped by my local shop to try out the 790 7 iron. Was anxious to see a forged thin face players like performance club. Very nice shape and finish. Much bigger with a very thick top line (not evident in photos). Tried with several steel and graphite shafts. What a disappointment, odd sound at impact, dead feeling, good distance but not great. Just to make sure it wasn't me I went and got a set of M1s and a PXG (of all things). Yes I will say it the PXGs were night and day better feeling at impact as were the M1s. Both better distance wise (although nothing remarkable). I need to reserve final judgement until a demo set is available that doesn't have that awful heavy looking hosel attachment arrangement. Dang it was looking for a new set of irons to play around with..Was hoping by being forged they would have more feel than the Epic Pros. Not only is that not true but they appear very large compared to the Epic Pros. I knew it wasn't going to work for me when the PXGs were much better feeling. Don't know if it is the difference between speed foam and TPE, but if it is TPE wins hands down.. Spin was considerably lower (500+) than the M1s, PXGs, Epic Pros which seemed to not be desirable.

Thanks Sandy for the honest review of the Tailor Maid P790 iron.

I am very surprised that they did not feel better than the M1...normally the cast club is a loser in the feel dept.

Not surprised they don't measure up in feel to the PXG as Michael Newton already made mention of that in his testing.

Geez, be more repetitive in your posting when it comes to PXG!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

is that an honest review or a bias review :)

Anyway my p790 order still being processed, i preorder back on sept 01 and wondering whats up. I thought maybe because i custom order my set. But i call today and TM told me the Modus Tour 105x is back order so wont be getting my p790 yet (schedule 27th) ahh I cant wait any longer.

As far as feel i like it, when i was hitting the P790 compare to my Legacy Black, to me the feel of the 790 is better feel than my Legacy black and forgiving than my Legacy Black. I have try and wanted to like the CF16, i tried Mizuno 900 series, I bag the Cobra foged Tec but no irons is better than my Legacy Black until i demoed the P790 :)

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

BirdieBob definitely has an agenda. He can't stand the thought of all that money and TM producing an iron appreciably lower priced that is this good. Maybe he should just go find a PXG thread and hang out there. Oh wait, there aren't any PXG threads.

On that note, I called TM customer service today and found out my 790s (Modus 130s) will be in hand on 9/21. I ordered 9/12. Looks like they are trying to get as many out the door as possible and as quickly as possible, Maybe that lawsuit has lit a fire under them.

Hit these again today and they are the real deal for sure. Maybe not as soft as some others but pretty darn good feel. The face seems incredibly lively and I could not argue with the distance gains over my Mizuno 900 forged. More than that though, what really impressed me was the high flight and consistency. I liked several of the KBS shafts, standard tour and the flt were both decent but the Recoil ES 780 F4 was where I got my best results.

I was seriously eyeballing the new 718 AP1's and AP3's but these have certainly turned my head.

Ah, Awtryau89 the Tailor Maid sunshine not so bright afterall?

Awtryau89 definitely doesn't like to see that not all agree with his inflated view of the Tailor Maid P790 irons.

I however, present all the facts on these irons and suddenly I have an agenda.

I have not said anything negative about these irons as I think they are excellent if they can even come close to the PXG irons (which I use).

So, Awtryau89, don't venture away from your Tailor Maid homie's group you may be displeased with the facts.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Awtryau89 definitely doesn't like to see that not all agree with his inflated view of the Tailor Maid P790 irons.

I have not said anything negative about these irons as I think they are excellent if they can even come close to the PXG irons (which I use).

So, Awtryau89, don't venture away from your Tailor Maid homie's group you may be displeased with the facts.

Maybe PXG is just a lot easier for you to spell than Taylormade... :taunt:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Maybe PXG is just easier for you to spell than Taylormade... :taunt:

MY spelling is perfect! ;)

Oh really!...Another lie you choose to believe?... :lol:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

Oh really, then I guess that's yet another lie that you choose to believe... :lol:

My view of the company and the clubs are 180* opposite!

That has changed with what happened with Adams and more so now with PXG.

I have had their clubs with woods and irons;R1, M1 and M2 and still have a M1 430; CB, MC, MB, RSI, and TP irons! So, I like their clubs/technology.

But as a company I dislike their predatory methods. So, the name sticks.

I tried the Titleist T-MB irons and bought them two years ago, but alas they did not feel as I liked. Then of similar design I tried PXG irons....BINGO!

WOW moment. I intend to try the P790 when I can, but the data does not show much reason to change.

So, I will continue to present the facts about the clubs like it or not and as for the company the name/spelling I use is appropriate IMHO.

Best,

BB

As for the company the name/spelling I use is appropriate.

So wrong!...Actually it's a very inappropriate misspelling and very disrespectful of Taylormade!... :nono:

As for the company the name/spelling I use is appropriate IMHO.

So wrong!...Actually it's a very inappropriate misspelling and very disrespectful of Taylormade!... :nono:

Good! As that is what I think of the company.

Have a great golf game this weekend ... to all!

BirdieBob's true colors have been shown!... :ban:

I have the right to disrespect a company, correct?

Yes, of course, I do.

So, back to the BMW! :D

I have the right to disrespect a company, correct?

(So I'll continue to 'troll' TM threads).. :tease:

Yep!...I suspect you will!...But now you have been... :busted2: