New SM7's

Leonard Washington

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to give you guys a sense of how my tour chrome's have worn over about 2 months and about 20 rounds and a handful of range sessions.

Thanks! would love to compare to Raw finish after 20 rounds if anyone has?

I posted a pic the other day.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

If you want to keep the raw looking nice you are going to have constant maintenance with a scotch brite pad.

every Friday when I clean my clubs I am having to do a little bit.

been stupid dry in Scotland too.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I agree. Went chrome two years ago, feel just as good, look good, and a hell of a lot less work!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Ordered Chrome 52.08 today. Was thinking Raw but seems like they’re high maintenance

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

Ordered Chrome 52.08 today. Was thinking Raw but seems like they're high maintenance

They're not

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

Ordered Chrome 52.08 today. Was thinking Raw but seems like they're high maintenance

They're not

can you post a pic of your Raw SM7s after half a season?

Titleist ProV1x

They're not

you are thinking too much into this, get RAW if you want or Chrome. To me RAW certainly will wear better due to not being able to see blemishes as easy. My 4 are going great and very glad I went RAW. My dad went Chrome and he is very happy.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

They're not

you are thinking too much into this, get RAW if you want or Chrome. To me RAW certainly will wear better due to not being able to see blemishes as easy. My 4 are going great and very glad I went RAW. My dad went Chrome and he is very happy.

you're 1000% right. I got the Chrome... :swoon:

Titleist ProV1x

Got fitted at UK National Fitting Centre for a 50/F/12 and a 58/K/14.

The gap wedge was a no brainer in the fitting and I’ve loved it on the course in the months since.

The fitting for the lob wedge was between what I got and the 58/D/12.

As the UK ground has got firmer and firmer, the love for the K grind died.

Tomorrow I pick up my custom fit spec D grind.

K grind in great nick going on eBay on Sunday, keep your eyes peeled if you after a Chrome 58K.

Titleist TS3 Drv 10.5* (playing 45")
Titleist TS2 Fwy 16.5*
Titleist TS2 Hyb 21* (playing 20*)
Titleist U510 Uty 4 iron - 22*
Titleist T100 (5 - GW 50*)
Vokey SM7 54* (14*) F grind
Vokey SM7 58* D grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)

Agree, I'm not paying $200 for raw!

So I went Chrome

How has the chrome held up finish wise?

No problems at all.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

how long does Raw take to deliver from ordering from WedgeWorks?

I got mine in 7 business days

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Got fitted at UK National Fitting Centre for a 50/F/12 and a 58/K/14.

The gap wedge was a no brainer in the fitting and I’ve loved it on the course in the months since.

The fitting for the lob wedge was between what I got and the 58/D/12.

As the UK ground has got firmer and firmer, the love for the K grind died.

Tomorrow I pick up my custom fit spec D grind.

K grind in great nick going on eBay on Sunday, keep your eyes peeled if you after a Chrome 58K.

Spent 2 hours on the chipping/pitching area with the D, love it. If you are in the UK and want a K?, see below.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183312509512

Titleist TS3 Drv 10.5* (playing 45")
Titleist TS2 Fwy 16.5*
Titleist TS2 Hyb 21* (playing 20*)
Titleist U510 Uty 4 iron - 22*
Titleist T100 (5 - GW 50*)
Vokey SM7 54* (14*) F grind
Vokey SM7 58* D grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)

• 2 weeks later...

these have surpassed the SM2 red saw as the best wedges of all time.

after 9 years of playing the red saws I've sold my collection. The SM7 Spin ALMOST as much look better feel better and the M Grind is stupid good.

Well done Vokey.

For my money, they could make some D-grind lob wedges and a couple different bounces of F-grind in all the other lofts and it's all good.

I've done K-grind with the SM6's and S-grind with the SM7's and no joy. Just not the way my old-school Vokeys played a decade ago. And the other grinds I can look at and tell they ain't made for me.

But the M is sweet and an F-grind SM7 works for anything that doesn't require the D, in my humble opinion.

after 9 years of playing the red saws I've sold my collection. The SM7 Spin ALMOST as much look better feel better and the M Grind is stupid good.

Well done Vokey.

For my money, they could make some M-grind lob wedges and a couple different bounces of F-grind in all the other lofts and it's all good.

I've done K-grind with the SM6's and S-grind with the SM7's and no joy. Just not the way my old-school Vokeys played a decade ago. And the other grinds I can look at and tell they ain't made for me.

But the M is sweet and an F-grind SM7 works for anything that doesn't require the M, in my humble opinion.

Unless you're playing on Carnoustie-like fairways, try the D-grind. It's the M-grind plus some more forgiveness.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Well done Vokey.

For my money, they could make some M-grind lob wedges and a couple different bounces of F-grind in all the other lofts and it's all good.

But the M is sweet and an F-grind SM7 works for anything that doesn't require the M, in my humble opinion.

Unless you're playing on Carnoustie-like fairways, try the D-grind. It's the M-grind plus some more forgiveness.

D'Oh!

That was a total brain shutdown. I meant the D-grind all the way. The new grind in the SM7 range.

M-grind is not meant at all for my game!

[PREVIOUS POST EDITED]

Well done Vokey.

I would LOVE a 56F and 60F but with 10ish bounce.

The S is close enough in the 54 to the F that it doesn't bother me I could play either one.

Playing a new tight course so the 60 M just works for me.

2024 Bag TBD

Well done Vokey.

The S is close enough in the 54 to the F that it doesn't bother me I could play either one.

Just got my 54S and I'll agree it is very close to the F's that I am so used to. Just a bit of heel relief makes it more comfortable to open up in the sand. Never felt comfortable opening up the F grinds, I use them pretty exclusively for square shots.

Well done Vokey.

Just got my 54S and I'll agree it is very close to the F's that I am so used to. Just a bit of heel relief makes it more comfortable to open up in the sand. Never felt comfortable opening up the F grinds, I use them pretty exclusively for square shots.

An occasional playing companion of mine is always trying to convert me to playing bunker shots the way he does (very effectively in his case). He opens a 54 or 56 up as far as it will go and makes darned near a full swing even on a 10-15 yard bunker shot.

I can't get any sort of consistent results with that technique but if I did, the 56.10S would be perfect. It just zips through the sand with no apparent resistance.

For my normal technique (more of a "splash" with a partially-open face) I need to feel the club dragging a bit in the sand in order to properly match up my feel and the distance of the shot. The F-grind is OK for that. And the D-grind Lob wedge is too.

I've tried to love the SM7s, and tried the D grind in a 60.

Went back to my SM6s before vacation, was glad I had them. Tried the SM7s while out of town last week again just to see, and just can't love them. The D grind and I in particular don't get along, the S grind of my SM6 58 and my SM54 is just the best for me.

I'm sure my daughter's boyfriend will appreciate getting new wedges instead of the rusty old SM4s she probably had him thinking I might give him.

Now how to see about getting replacement SM6s!

Although I'm still planning on some National Customs for wedges, my vacation, youngest daughter's need for different vehicle and on and on have me unfortunately postponing that for the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I played sm4 wedges sold them tried mizuno t7 and just can’t get them to work for me. My question is should I go get fitted at a fitter or is the wedge selection tool online good enough. I don’t have a fitter close to me 2 hour drive and most charge if you don’t buy from them. Where my mom works she can get a discount on titliest stuff did this for the sm4. The sm7 would be $109 a wedge before tax still be money ahead to pay for a fitting than order through her. Would be ordering 3-4 wedges.

In my experience, the online vokey wedge fitter is spot on. I did the online fitting, and them went to get fitted by our titleist fitter.

I got 4 wedges (P-L), and the only debatable issue was whether to get an 8 degree or 12 degree bounce on my gap wedge - and that took a “50 yard shot” bake off to decide. All others were exact same between online tool and and fitting...all the way down to thd D grind on the LW....

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

In my experience, the online vokey wedge fitter is spot on. I did the online fitting, and them went to get fitted by our titleist fitter.

I got 4 wedges (P-L), and the only debatable issue was whether to get an 8 degree or 12 degree bounce on my gap wedge - and that took a “50 yard shot” bake off to decide. All others were exact same between online tool and and fitting...all the way down to thd D grind on the LW....

Was wondering how accurate that was. There are so many options with grinds and bounce I don’t know even where to start

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

It’s tell me 46 f 08- 50 f 08- 54 m 08 - 58 d 12 for what I entered I use my 58 almost all the time around the green. My 9 hole course in doesn’t have sand. Wish I remember what grinds I had the sm4’s in.

So y’all are saying if you clean off the finish of the jet black models with CLR you leave a “raw(er) finish that won’t rust? I love the look of the matte bare metal look that some of you have that removed the black but I do not like rusting wedges. What keeps it from rusting?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS