2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How has golf affected your life off of the course?

SixtySomePing

Golf has let me participate in competition for over 50 years, has provided an outlet for the "mad money" I thought I could save after the sailboat was sold and has introduced me to many incredible characters over the years - who have truly proven the rule " nobody is totally worthless - you can always be a bad example!"

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

It taught me to bond with my father, despite him not being around any more, it taught me to learn respect for others, it taught me to play as well as i can at all times

Totally understand about the bonding with your father part. My dad passed away last week and he was my golfing buddy. In my 36 years I think i've only ever played 1 round without him. Gonna be tough getting back out there. My oldest son is 3 so he's still a little young to take on the course but I know we'll share that bond as he gets older.

I think about golf all the time. WRX is my home page at work and at home, first thing I check is golf sites each day and then map out when I can get to the range during the week before playing each weekend. Also practice every night to at least keep flexible. Slightly addicted to golf in every way I guess. Guess it could be worse.

I posted in this thread earlier, but I have another one.

It tought me that golf isnt just a test where the smartest or strongest wins. Its a completely different type of test.

When the peg goes in the ground all bets are off. Long hitter, perfect swing, elite game top to bottom.

Sometimes passion, grit and guts can be enough. Its not always that way in the real world. In golf the underdog can flip the script and give the big guy a run.

I've noticed as I've gotten a little older that lots of people are afraid to lose...

When you have a 5 foot putt to win a tournament? I think to myself I earned the right to hit this putt with sweat and hard work. When people were sleeping I was working on my chipping yips. When it was too rainy out I was grinding out 3 footers. When it was too cold out I was hitting wedges. I earned the right to have this putt.

After not playing for a number of years I started playing regularly again about a year ago. I will admit that sometimes I feel like I miss out of time spent with my wife and step daughter. My wife is extremely supportive of my golf habit, I mean she practically pushes me out the door to go play, so this isn’t coming from her. I just feel like we’ve created less memories together in the last year than we used to because I spend so much time emersed in golf on the weekends. I don’t worry about it quite as much on the weekends we have her daughter because I know the two of them are spending time together, but it does get to me.

I know there are probably a lot of guys here who wish they had this problem, and by no means do I want an overbearing wife who infringes on the things I like to do. Just being honest as it causes me anxiety on a pretty regular basis.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Golf has given me time to spend with my dad, use to ski/snowboard with him, then it was fishing on his boat, now its golf. Also gives us stuff to talk about outside of work related stuff (both in the autobody industry.) Also helps me see my buddies more since most of them play but were all entering our late 20s and don't really see each other as much.

But most of all the biggest thing it helps me with is giving me something to do every weekend because idle time is no good for me. Had a rough few years where I had a nasty heroin addiction and when I finally got clean nearly 3 years ago, I bought a Hellcat and took up golf again. Its still a battle everyday but both those keep me pretty occupied and that's where I spend my money now.

Winter is a b**** but the snow finally gone, golfing tomorrow, and pulling my car out of storage.

There's no doubt that golf has changed my life. Both personally and professionally. And it continues to. My wife is very supportive of this healthy obsession I have with the game. Her only concern is the money I spend. Which is understandable. What it has taught me is there isn't just one way to look at any given situation. There are multiple solutions for every problem. You just have to find them. If this game hasn't shown you what patience really is then we're just not playing the same game. Also, there's something about the beauty of every course I play. Especially here on Long Island. They're just majestic. Sometimes I catch myself getting lost in the moment just staring. Keeps me grounded. Without golf I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

TITLEIST!...

Golf has given me time to spend with my dad, use to ski/snowboard with him, then it was fishing on his boat, now its golf. Also gives us stuff to talk about outside of work related stuff (both in the autobody industry.) Also helps me see my buddies more since most of them play but were all entering our late 20s and don't really see each other as much.

But most of all the biggest thing it helps me with is giving me something to do every weekend because idle time is no good for me. Had a rough few years where I had a nasty heroin addiction and when I finally got clean nearly 3 years ago, I bought a Hellcat and took up golf again. Its still a battle everyday but both those keep me pretty occupied and that's where I spend my money now.

Winter is a b**** but the snow finally gone, golfing tomorrow, and pulling my car out of storage.

That's great. You can spend a lot of quality time with your father while playing golf. I am sure he really enjoys it too.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife thinks 18 holes a week is too much so I'd say negatively in my relationship to her on days I play. I'd like to play 36 a week but....

Most other things we get along fine .

Revision hip surgery has caused a mid July start date. My wife and I get along much better. So not playing has had a positive impact in our marriage....Teeheeheehee

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I reflect on this a lot. Recent positives are re-connecting with a couple of old junior friends who have moved back to the area. And in the last 3 years met a new bunch of playing partners. Career wise it has been damaging. I worked in the charity sector for many years and never mentioned it as it was seen as right wing and elitist. Plus as a member of a private club I am always perceived as being much richer than I am. It has definitely damaged my personal life....sooooo many women open up with "so you wear pink pants, intarsia sweaters and stay away from your family all day"...and move on. I still enjoy playing, it is the greatest leveller of an ego known to humanity ...if only it didn't rain as much.

Has golf had any impact on your life when you're not playing? Have you learned to apply your golf improvement skills and methods to any other part of your life? Has it made you more disciplined in learning another sport? Has it had a negative impact on some area of your life and caused some kind of unforeseen problems? Has it improved your health or general happiness? How has golf affected your life off of the course?

I've always felt that if you are not becoming a better (fill in the blank) because you are a golfer, then you are missing the point.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

I've actually been thinking of writing an article about this - anyone interested? For example, I wrote a write up for my caddy experience with Rory and JVegas - would anyone like to read something like that?

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x
Instagram : danieljfalcone

I've only been playing golf seriously for the past 4 years. Growing up, I've always eschewed team sports and didn't like competition. I mean I liked it when I was significantly better than others and could blow by them, such as in certain subjects in school, but not when I had to scratch and claw to get an advantage. So I just gravitated towards the things I was naturally good at and didn't really get into things I wasn't. Golf totally changed that for me because it was so addicting. I had to learn how to manage the emotions inside when I was hitting the ball poorly. And how to try to fix what wasn't working as an iterative process, rather than just dropping it and moving on to the next thing. And I didn't even realize a lot of these things until golf forced me to go through them. So I think playing golf has had a great influence on how I perceive myself and it has helped me learn things that go beyond hitting a ball with a club.

• 5 months later...