Cleveland CBX wedges thoughts

klbcec

Have the 54 and 58. Liked the idea of perimeter weighting especially when you lay the face open.

Very pleased with the performance of these wedges, especially around green.

Most surprising aspect of these wedges was the effectiveness of the bounce. For shots around the green and from, I could really feel the bounce working... moreso than any other wedge I have used.

Second, I do not believe these wedges spin quite as much as a blade style wedge. For those that understand the physics, does the perimeter weighting reduce spin?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the 54 and 58. Liked the idea of perimeter weighting especially when you lay the face open.

Most surprising aspect of these wedges was the effectiveness of the bounce. For shots around the green and from, I could really feel the bounce working... moreso than any other wedge I have used.

Second, I do not believe these wedges spin quite as much as a blade style wedge. For those that understand the physics, does the perimeter weighting reduce spin?

Very forgiving. We sell a lot of them to our customers that don't have time to practice their short game. High recommend, they can only help!

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

Very forgiving. We sell a lot of them to our customers that don't have time to practice their short game. High recommend, they can only help!

I agree. I bought a set from one of your competitors.

I am one of the lucky members who is in the wedge test and I can tell you that my Cleveland CBX 56* wedge is a fantastic club. Very workable and gives great control. I think that they are the perfect style of wedge for the mid handicap golfer. I was so happy with the 56* that I bought a 50* wedge. A great compliment to the 56*. And I do find that the CBX wedges do hop and stop on a well played shot.

Gil Leonard

• 2 weeks later...

bought CBX wedges in 46* and 52* and dropped my Mizuno MX 200 PW (9 years old - wanted some more zip) and my RTX-3 52* as I was struggling with consistency on full shots at I tend to hit towards the toe - especially on mishits. The CBX wedges are way more forgiving and consistent on hits towards the toe. I like them a lot.

I was planning to pick up the 50* & 56* but figured I would stay with a blade style 60* as I like to play a lot of open face flop shots with that and I just can't see the CBX being great at those. But for my 50* & 56* all of those shots are played square faced and I would think that CBX would excel at those. At least that was my hope. Plus the 50* & 56* see 80% of my wedge shots.

I bought one for a little different reason. Trying to be a little shallower/flatter into the ball and taking Stan Utley school of thought: He says golfers should play their wedges at 62 degrees and most these days are 63-64.

I wanted something forgiving to practice this change. So I bought a CBX 52 (had loft bent to 51) and had lie angle flattened 2 degrees (64 to 62).

Will see how it goes.

For people that don't buy the included AW and SW that might come with their GI irons, they are a good option over blade style wedges but I still prefer the Epic AW, SW over the CBX 52&56, especially on full swings.

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

I tried the 54 and 60. I had been playing MD forged all summer. For me, the CBX wedges were far superior out of the sand. I will use that old cliche of it felt like cheating. However, that is as far as it went. My MD forged were softer, more versatile and seemed to spin better (although it was hard to judge spin in the autumn course conditions). I took the CBX back and my MD forged are back in the bag.

I'm curious who are playing these? Any lower handicappers playing these? I'm also curious if anyone has spent much time comparing these to the rtx 3 cavity backs...

i am off 7 - not real low. I have had the RTX3's in 52* and 58* and have just moved to the CBX as I was struggling for consistency on my wedges. The CBX are way more forgiving so provide consistent distance on shots that the RTX3 would punish. CBX wedges are great - love 'em.

I'm curious who are playing these? Any lower handicappers playing these? I'm also curious if anyone has spent much time comparing these to the rtx 3 cavity backs...

i am off 7 - not real low. I have had the RTX3's in 52* and 58* and have just moved to the CBX as I was struggling for consistency on my wedges. The CBX are way more forgiving so provide consistent distance on shots that the RTX3 would punish. CBX wedges are great - love 'em.

I am an 8 playing the 52 and 56 - 52 was the rtx3-cb and 56 was rtx3 previoulsy

tried the 52 first and was amazed at the consistency and action off full shots - replaced 56 as well, since both are mostly full shot clubs for me

kept the rtx3 for my 60 for more green side and finesse shots

better match for my cb irons and better, more consistent results most importantly

I’ve been checking these out recently, so I’m glad to see this thread. I used to have a very efficient short game and the one constant was that the wedges I used had what I would call “slippery” turf interaction on chips and pitches. Any chip/pitch I hit, the club would glide over the turf with no digging and no divot. It led to very consistent results. I moved to a new state, however, and found turf interaction to be more fickle in the different turf conditions here. As a result,my short game suffered.

I had a chance to hit on if these out of a bunker the other day and got the same “slippery” interaction I remember from my old wedges. Been thinking about picking one up ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of picking these up. I play to a 6 but like the pm grind and other "round" shovel type wedges as I like to pitch the ball off the toe side of club. These wedges look and feel so great but for the very slight offset. Has anyone tried bending them weak a bit to decrease offset? If so How did the sole Play/bounce play thereafter?

Thinking of picking these up. I play to a 6 but like the pm grind and other "round" shovel type wedges as I like to pitch the ball off the toe side of club. These wedges look and feel so great but for the very slight offset. Has anyone tried bending them weak a bit to decrease offset? If so How did the sole Play/bounce play thereafter?

Wondering about bending out offset here too... anyone?

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Cally Rogue ST LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Cally Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM DHY - 4i - Tensei Pro White 90TX

PXG 0311p Gen 2 - 5i-PW - DG AMT x100 (Original AMT Gold)

Titleist 718 AP2 - 50* - DG AMT x100
Ping Glide 3.0 - 54s - DG x100
Cally PM Grind - 58* - Ctaper 120s
Odyssey 2-Ball Ten S 
Titleist Pro V1
Vessel Player III - Citrine

So it looks like most people are getting this for their gap and sand wedges but not their lob wedges. Does that seem like a fair statement. I was thinking 50 cbx 54 cbx or rtx and 60 rtx. Anyone else go with this combo?

Epic Flash SZ 9 degree AD IZ 6s
Adams Dhy 18 and 21 Matrix White Tie
Apex Pro 19 5-AW Steelfiber i110s
Mack Daddy 4 54 Steelfiber i110s
High Toe 60 and 64 Modus 120s
Spider X Blue

I am not too impressed with much equipment anymore. I find that helping me make true improvements in my game are very minimal. These CBX wedges are a different story. I have never had so much fun with wedges before. I am now so confident pitching, chipping and in the sand. The turf interaction is perfect for my swing and the look and feel is as good as anything I have played. I bought the 54 and 58 and now have the 50 too. Well done Cleveland!

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18° SteelFiber F4

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Taylormade HI-TOE 3 52/9 KBS HI-REV 115

Taylormade HI-TOE 3 58/10 KBS HI REV 115

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 34”