RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Had a pretty rough work out before playing today and was missing low on the face the entire round. This a a big improvement over previous M heads IMO. Not sure about the 460 heads but the 440 excels with low contact. Actually came in handy with the wind today.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a pretty rough work out before playing today and was missing low on the face the entire round. This a a big improvement over previous M heads IMO. Not sure about the 460 heads but the 440 excels with low contact. Actually came in handy with the wind today.

For me whenever my legs are sore from a workout I might as well not play golf. Complete circus.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

For me whenever my legs are sore from a workout I might as well not play golf. Complete circus.

The course just opened back up Friday. I’ll play thru it J. :)

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Took an M4 out today to do a head to head with me Epic SZ. Early results favor the M4. The low on the face strike was really good compared to the Epic, and that’s my miss. My only issue with the M4 was I struggled to get the ball to draw. Not necessarily a bad thing just not what I’m used to.

Still want to test a M3 440.

Took an M4 out today to do a head to head with me Epic SZ. Early results favor the M4. The low on the face strike was really good compared to the Epic, and that's my miss. My only issue with the M4 was I struggled to get the ball to draw. Not necessarily a bad thing just not what I'm used to.

Still want to test a M3 440.

I played the SZ for a good part of last season. I found it easier to go left with, which for me was bad thing. But when I needed to hit a draw, it was great.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I got tired of waiting on my club to get their demos in, so I put some Edwin Watts credit towards the M3. I have been testing a 9.5 head-to-head against my Epic 9.0, both with identical Tensei Pro Blue 70X at 45". So far, so really good! It is definitely higher launching/spinning and seems more forgiving across the face. I'm going to get on Trackman ASAP to compare numbers. But eye test so far, the M3 is winning.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

For anyone keeping up, I was fitted for an 8.5 M4 on the Kingdom trip with a Fuji Pro Tour Spec, but I was swinging horribly during my fitting and did not feel that it was fully representative of my "normal" swing & ball flights. It turned out to be a pretty good fit, very anti-left (which was good) but I had difficulty turning it over reliably for a slight draw without conciously strengthening my left hand grip. I did play some great rounds with it though, and hit some real bombs.

So anyway, after some homework I ordered an 8.5 M3 with an AD IZ 6x. I played 2 rounds with it in all stock settings and immediately really liked it. Nice flat ball flight, goes thru the wind nicely, and reasonably workable. It's a slightly crisper sound/feel relative to the M4's more muted feedback. Both feel/sound great, I'm just noting the difference. The Tour IZ feels great, and surprisingly different than the DI and TP. I also can speak to the benefits of Twistface tech in both the M3 & M4; my occasional pull over-draw or double cross left when setting up for a fade really gets some help.

Since Scott laughed at me ? for leaving it in all stock settings, I spent some time tweaking the weights and loft sleeve indoors on Trackman, then confirming outdoors. I ended up with one weight all the way forward, and the other back and slightly "heelward." We ticked the loft up 1 notch so I guess it's right around 9 degrees. These settings gave me the best spin numbers. Indoors I was getting close to ideal results for me, low 160 ball speed on my best strikes and spin around 2400.

Outdoor testing confirmed. Ball flight looks great, nice flat flight. I can turn it over easily enough without fear of hooking, and the shaft is stable enough for me to rip through it and produce a nice little fade that at first looks like it wants to draw. I could also grip down on the shaft and intentionally flight it down.

Aside from the ball flight results, the thing I like most is the look at address. This thing sits so square and just inspires confidence. I've mentioned that my M4 likes to sit a little open, which some may prefer, but I prefer the dead square look of my M3. Comparatively, I've got two Epics, a SZ and a regular, and both look closed.

The new M3 appears to be a keeper and I can't wait to get some time with it in nice weather conditions.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Aside from the ball flight results, the thing I like most is the look at address. This thing sits so square and just inspires confidence. I've mentioned that my M4 likes to sit a little open, which some may prefer, but I prefer the dead square look of my M3. Comparatively, I've got two Epics, a SZ and a regular, and both look closed.

Funny you say that. I also think the M3 looks incredible at address, much easier to frame the ball. But I always thought my Epic looked open, while I see the M3 as dead-nuts square. Funny how eyes can see things differently.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

For anyone keeping up, I was fitted for an 8.5 M4 on the Kingdom trip with a Fuji Pro Tour Spec, but I was swinging horribly during my fitting and did not feel that it was fully representative of my "normal" swing & ball flights. It turned out to be a pretty good fit, very anti-left (which was good) but I had difficulty turning it over reliably for a slight draw without conciously strengthening my left hand grip. I did play some great rounds with it though, and hit some real bombs.

So anyway, after some homework I ordered an 8.5 M3 with an AD IZ 6x. I played 2 rounds with it in all stock settings and immediately really liked it. Nice flat ball flight, goes thru the wind nicely, and reasonably workable. It's a slightly crisper sound/feel relative to the M4's more muted feedback. Both feel/sound great, I'm just noting the difference. The Tour IZ feels great, and surprisingly different than the DI and TP. I also can speak to the benefits of Twistface tech in both the M3 & M4; my occasional pull over-draw or double cross left when setting up for a fade really gets some help.

Since Scott laughed at me ? for leaving it in all stock settings, I spent some time tweaking the weights and loft sleeve indoors on Trackman, then confirming outdoors. I ended up with one weight all the way forward, and the other back and slightly "heelward." We ticked the loft up 1 notch so I guess it's right around 9 degrees. These settings gave me the best spin numbers. Indoors I was getting close to ideal results for me, low 160 ball speed on my best strikes and spin around 2400.

Outdoor testing confirmed. Ball flight looks great, nice flat flight. I can turn it over easily enough without fear of hooking, and the shaft is stable enough for me to rip through it and produce a nice little fade that at first looks like it wants to draw. I could also grip down on the shaft and intentionally flight it down.

The new M3 appears to be a keeper and I can't wait to get some time with it in nice weather conditions.

Great thoughts Dewey.....here's to good weather and a clear course for side by side action..... can't remember but did you hit/play 17 M1?

The Tour IZ feels great, and surprisingly different than the DI and TP.

Are you able to provide some more insights into the differences? I've recently picked up a TP and was trying to decide between the TP and IZ.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Great thoughts Dewey.....here's to good weather and a clear course for side by side action..... can't remember but did you hit/play 17 M1?

I've hit the '17 M2, but not the M1. I preferred the '16 M2 over the '17, but I like the M3 more than both.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The Tour IZ feels great, and surprisingly different than the DI and TP.

Are you able to provide some more insights into the differences? I've recently picked up a TP and was trying to decide between the TP and IZ.

The TP felt like a stouter/more tip stiff DI, but very similar. Both the DI and TP have what I would characterize as a smooth but very pronounced kick. They both seem to load really dramatically and then release just as dramatically. That feeling worked really great for me when I'd time it all up perfectly. I hit some of my longest drives ever with 'em, but occasionally I'd get out of whack with that load & release timing and hit the unexpected snap pull/hook. The one immediately after that would invariably be a big hang-on block to the right.

I know it's supposed to be a similar bend profile, but the IZ feels very different to me. The loading and unloading feels steadier and more linear. It doesn't have that dramatic load & kick of the DI & TP, yet I don't feel like I'm losing any stored energy either. Feels like it's just a gradual build-up that stays with me thru the release and I don't need to try so hard to time it. It's giving me a lot of confidence so far.

I should add that I've not tried these all side-by-side in the same driver head, so that certainly could be impacting my perceptions.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The above is accurate the TP has a lot of play in it on the downswing while the iz6 feels right in your hands. Each will suit an individual differently. The funny thing is when I waggle my iz6 and iz7 they feel like noodles but it is the exact opposite when actually coming down on the downswing.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow is my first real round (READ: usual weekend betting groups) on the course with an entirely different bag than last year...

Oddly enough I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve... sleeping seems so difficult

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

So tomorrow is my first real round (READ: usual weekend betting groups) on the course with an entirely different bag than last year...

Hit em well!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

After deadlifts , I’m humpin the goat

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I played four rounds since Thursday. Course is drying up finally. 40+ drives over the four rounds and I had a good look in on almost every one. Perry hooked this hack up big time. The Atmos/M3 combo has been so good to me. I can't remember feeling this confident with driver.

So I was checking out the weather to figure out when I can play next week and it reads like a horror story. Masters week should NEVER have snow in the forecast twice and rain the other 8 days. Getting old.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I played four rounds since Thursday. Course is drying up finally. 40+ drives over the four rounds and I had a good look in on almost every one. Perry hooked this hack up big time. The Atmos/M3 combo has been so good to me. I can't remember feeling this confident with driver.

So I was checking out the weather to figure out when I can play next week and it reads like a horror story. Masters week should NEVER have snow in the forecast twice and rain the other 8 days. Getting old.

Still nothing but range for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Since Scott laughed at me for leaving it in all stock settings, I spent some time tweaking the weights and loft sleeve indoors on Trackman, then confirming outdoors. I ended up with one weight all the way forward, and the other back and slightly "heelward." We ticked the loft up 1 notch so I guess it's right around 9 degrees. These settings gave me the best spin numbers. Indoors I was getting close to ideal results for me, low 160 ball speed on my best strikes and spin around 2400.

No, I played the Epic SZ all of last season and had a very good year with it. I truly like the M3 a lot better. I love the way it frames the ball and looks at address...very clean and easy to see your alignment. Results on course and on Trackman have been excellent so far and the feel/sound at impact is great. This driver will be in my bag for the entire season and hopefully longer if I can avoid the "I'm bored, it's winter and I've gotta try something new" annual impulse purchase(s)!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Hit em well!!!

I think I may have done something bad to my left shoulder... it doesn’t hurt but it feels like it is grinding now.

On a good note I won some money playing golf this weekend.

That’s insane... I can’t believe the weather we’re getting...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Hit em well!!!

I think I may have done something bad to my left shoulder... it doesn’t hurt but it feels like it is grinding now.

Not good. I hope the shoulder is ok.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Hit em well!!!

Winning = good!

Shoulder pain = bad! (Hopefully goes away on its own)

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

28* and snow overnight. Rain when it’s wsrm enough. Will it ever end????

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I played our pro-am masters tourney today and it the M3/TP5 combo was excellent on this horrendously cold and windy day. I got one shot on #11 ta makefield highlands that should have been wide right off the heel but it stayed just on the right side of the fairway.

I also hit the best pitch shot I’ve ever hit from the rough behind the green with my HT. I’m still struggling with the HT from the fairway but that may be early season issues...

Thankfully the shoulder feels much better.

I have another Atmos Black on the way for my M3 fw. The results I'm getting with it in the 440 driver have been so solid. Hoping to get it out for 2-3 rounds this weekend. We may hit 80* a few times, which will be a nice change.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Confession time.

I was professionally fit for my driver but i cannot stop buying shafts to try.

Tour ADDI 7x coming for my driver. Tour ADDI 8s (black) coming for my 3hl.

Pulling my Tour AD UT from my old hybrid to put in my M3 3h